!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 194946 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1245 on: September 06, 2019, 01:34:25 AM »
Yeah, all that stuff on the side looks way overscale to me, but I'll bet it looks great when it's moving!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1246 on: September 06, 2019, 03:16:53 AM »
Yeah, all that stuff on the side looks way overscale to me, but I'll bet it looks great when it's moving!

It does look a bit on the chunky side, but personally I'd rather have that than something finer and less solid. From normal viewing distance it doesn't stand out so much, I wonder if careful application of some kind of weathering grime would tone it down.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #1247 on: September 07, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »
@railsquid  is it loco or tender drive? Good haulage? I see them come up from time to time, but I've been so put off the poor haulage of the old Minitrix BR24 2-6-0 I've resisted getting of those 2-8-0s.

It's a tender drive. It runs acceptably well with an ad-hoc 4 coach rake around the flat part of the layout. It does wheelslip slightly when going over a Tomix curved point, but overall it seems very usable and responds well to the controller, no random stalling or anything. The roddy-valvey-motiony stuff on the loco itself is however a little stiff and locks up at low speeds, but I suspect a little careful lubrication will help (I haven't done any maintenance at all on this). I do suspect it might not be the best loco for going up inclines.

After taking a closer look, I see all six tender wheels have traction tyres, and the pickups are via the locomotive wheels; looks like there's even a pickup on the leading axle.

Here she is hauling a random collection of vaguely plausible-looking (but largely unprotoypical) coaches (one of which has interior lighting with very inefficient wiper-style pickups and does not roll freely at all):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_eumkDrb9E

Note right towards the end there's a slight judder, which is due to a Tomix double slip, which is slightly suboptimal for smaller locos (but saves a lot of space so we'll have to live with it).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:36:34 PM by railsquid »

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1248 on: September 07, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
Another entry out of my time period:

PSX_20190907_104240

A center entry coach with driving cab: As i have a sweet spot for driving cabs, i could not resist.  :heart2:

PSX_20190907_104315

The model is equipped with a decoder and front/rear marker lights. I could read the CV but did not figure out how to control the lights yet.  :hmmm:

PSX_20190907_104345

Face to face with another Fleischmann coach: The height difference is huge...  :uneasy: :uneasy:

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #1249 on: September 07, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »
PSX_20190907_104345

Face to face with another Fleischmann coach: The height difference is huge...  :uneasy: :uneasy:

:hmmm: I'm far from being an expert on continental rails, but to my eye the solebar/bogie gap looks excessive on the LH coach. The ride height of your new coach looks OK in the first photo, alongside the loco.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1250 on: September 07, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »
Ah, yes, the new coach is just fine! The problem is in the older ones, also from Fleischmann (2007 if i am no wrong).

I was looking to use it toghether but, the difference is huge.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1251 on: September 07, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »

:hmmm: I'm far from being an expert on continental rails, but to my eye the solebar/bogie gap looks excessive on the LH coach.

Yeah it does look a bit odd?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1252 on: September 07, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »

PSX_20190907_104240

Someone doesn't enjoy ballasting Peco points I see  :D   It's easy enough just work with small amounts of ballast and glue.  I've just completed the main ballasting job for my loco depot under construction.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #1253 on: September 07, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
Have you owned the older coach from new or did it have one (not so) careful owner? I'm wondering if the bogies have been previously removed and refitted incorrectly(?).
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #1254 on: September 08, 2019, 02:05:34 AM »
Here she is hauling a random collection of vaguely plausible-looking (but largely unprotoypical) coaches

Hah, upon closer examination (the coaches are also a bunch of random Rule 1 acquisitions discovered in the now closed Tenshodo Ginza store and also languishing in a box) one is actually of the Königlich Bayerische Staatseisenbahnen, like the locomotive.

Minitrix Baureihe Pü (K.Bay.Sts.B.) Schnellzugpackwagen (Pü 16438) by Rail Squid, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:06:55 AM by railsquid »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1255 on: September 08, 2019, 03:00:47 AM »
Anyway, the motion on the loco looks great when it's stotting along like that  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1256 on: September 08, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
Have you owned the older coach from new or did it have one (not so) careful owner? I'm wondering if the bogies have been previously removed and refitted incorrectly(?).

PSX_20190907_235507

From new, and the whole set has the same design.  :thumbsdown:

Someone doesn't enjoy ballasting Peco points I see  :D   It's easy enough just work with small amounts of ballast and glue.  I've just completed the main ballasting job for my loco depot under construction.

I have a problem with finishing things.  :confused1: :D

I have half of the ballast work done, half of the platforms work done, half of a bus workshops built, half of the station done...  ???

Maybe it is time to start finishing something up.  :D

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #1257 on: September 08, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
Hi Ricardo,

Don't worry about the half finishing of things. We, as men, can't help it. It's in our nature and all to do with household chores delegated through our lives from mothers to girlfriends to wives.

Bit of a poem there  :) but it's not finished yet  :no: or I'll be given another one to do  ;).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: September 08, 2019, 03:50:25 PM »

I have half of the ballast work done, half of the platforms work done, half of a bus workshops built, half of the station done... 

When are you posting the other half of the post?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline BlythPower

• Deutsche Bundesbahn in den 80ern
    • Awards
« Reply #1259 on: September 08, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »
The Fleischmann Umbauwagen are crazily high compared to everything else. You can't really run them with anything else, though they do look good together in a rake. The Roco Umbauwagen sit much more happily with other types/makes of coach. 

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal