New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 132252 times)

Offline Raymond

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #675 on: April 07, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Purchased a nice new 218 in Orient red.

Fleischmann I assume, given it's got the rabbit-ears fitted?   Nice, I like 218s and their relatives   :thumbsup:

I also like 120s  :D

It is indeed  ;)

I'd like another 120 but in TEE livery. Problem is, I can only have 5 trains running at one time on my layout but there's too many locs I want…  :'(
I like sitting in my hottub with a beer or two…...

Offline Notroh

• N Gauge Society Number: 25489
    • Awards
« Reply #676 on: April 07, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Purchased a nice new 218 in Orient red.

Fleischmann I assume, given it's got the rabbit-ears fitted?   Nice, I like 218s and their relatives   :thumbsup:

I also like 120s  :D

It is indeed  ;)

I'd like another 120 but in TEE livery. Problem is, I can only have 5 trains running at one time on my layout but there's too many locs I want…  :'(

I can only run two and I have 34!!!   

Peter
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:36:03 PM by Notroh »
My Layout: Trouve - not that far from Perdu:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31546.0

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #677 on: April 07, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
I expect many of us have a similar (delightful) problem!   

I can run 3 trains (3 controllers), the layout has fiddleyard capacity for about 26 trains.  To be honest I've lost count of the number of locos and multiple-units, although they're all inventoried.  To frightened to tott them all up, I think the missus would not be pleased  :worried:

I think for a typical exibition about 1/3 of the collection comes along.  Sometimes more than half the locos running at a show don't actually belong to me, it depends who's on the operating team.  It is handy to be able to ring the changes and swap out an entire case of locos for a different set at the next show.  Everything gets a turn and nothing is thrashed.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Raymond

• Awards
« Reply #678 on: April 07, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »
Only have 10 at the moment...  :-X

The next layout really ought to have shadow station underneath  ::)

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #679 on: April 08, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »
Purchased a nice new 218 in Orient red.  :thumbsup:

Never thought that I would ever see the words "nice" and "Orient red" in the same sentence. ;)
But to be honest, now that 30 years have passed, that livery with the stupid bib is slowly growing on me. :confused1:
And no matter what paint, the 120 always looks great. :thumbsup:  (But the TEE livery is much better still!)

These are very nice prussian sets - Fleischmann 7883 and 7884, some of the earliest prussian sets. Just be careful when removing the timber wagon to not damage the chain on top of the stakes as the cars are not in the correct position. The stakes should rest in the cutout spaces.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #680 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »
Just released last week, two new Epoch I versions of the badische IVh (later Reichsbahn BR 18.3) from Hobbytrain. These are made by Ajin in Korea (better known for brass models made for Overland and others). Only 250 each were produced of the two new colours.

H4009 is an engine clad in "Glanzblech" (gloss tin sheet – not sure if there is a special word for it in English). That was specially treated stainless steel which was gloss grey in colour and didn't need to be painted. On sunny days under a blue sky it had a bluish appearance which was recreated here. Doesn't look too bad although there are a few problems with this livery.
1. there are no records of a IVh ever receiving Glanzblech sheathing (although their predecessor IVf did), and
2. Glanzblech was only used for boiler and cylinders; driver's cabin and tender had the standard paint which at the time (they were delivered 1918–20) was black. Still, it looks very nice in blue-grey.

H4010 is green with green wheels which makes the IVh look very similar to the Bavarian S3/6. (Both the S3/6 and the IVh were built by the same company, Maffei.) Again, like H4009 it is a nice looking model although the green colour is not correct for the time. Baden locomotives had an all-green livery until 1895, since then they were painted all black with brown-red wheels. Ironically, a model in this correct livery was announced a few years back (H4003) but cancelled after receiving not enough orders. :doh:

In 2007 the first variant of the Hobbytrain IVh was released, H4000 in a non-prototypical (but very nice looking... – I can see a pattern here!) dark blue, followed in 2008 by H4002 in grey photo paint – this correctly reproduces a factory photo of IVh 95 (same number as the blue-grey one). So, of four Epoch I models only one has a prototypical livery ... Uh, well, they do look nice, and I guess they will find 250 fools who'll buy them anyway ... :-[
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:46:24 AM by Hiawatha, Reason: postimage links restored »

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #681 on: April 10, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #682 on: April 10, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
'Handmade brass' would be optimistic: these are tarted up versions of the Lemke/Hobbytrain IVh which has been around in various forms for a few years now.
I have the DB computer numbered 018 323 which I'm very pleased with. The only problem with this model is that, for the DB period, the steps in the slide bar area are incorrect.
They need to be much longer, one day I will make up a set. There should also be a third marker light on the smokebox door for the DB version.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #683 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »
Sorry if my post was confusing. dickrowland is correct, the IVh is not handmade brass, it's diecast zinc alloy and plastic. Ajin was producing brass models for Overland (and probably others) but it seems that they have invested heavily in diecasting machines and for the last ten years or so produce lower-priced locos in diecast metal and plastic. I am not sure if they even produce brass models still, now that plastic tends to approach or surpass brass in detailing and even more obscure prototypes (like a Baldwin Centipede) are no longer necessary to be handbuilt in brass.

€289 is the price for the DCC versions, DC is €249 (MSRP; it can be bought for 10-20% less). It seems that there were 250 DC and 250 DCC made; that would double the edition to 500 pieces of each colour.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:53:43 AM by Hiawatha »

Offline Raymond

• Awards
« Reply #684 on: April 10, 2017, 10:36:59 PM »

Never thought that I would ever see the words "nice" and "Orient red" in the same sentence. ;)
But to be honest, now that 30 years have passed, that livery with the stupid bib is slowly growing on me. :confused1:
And no matter what paint, the 120 always looks great. :thumbsup:  (But the TEE livery is much better still!)

You're absolutely right. Most is still 80's blue/cream and red/cream on my layout.... much better  ;)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »

Rather pleased with this one as an eBay purchase, slightly dusty but otherwise excellent condition by the look of it, and for half the price of the cheapest new one I can find online.   

The usual Fleischmann crisp detail and flawless running.  967385 was a special edition for 2006 I believe.

Here's the actual loco  (photo credit www.bus-und-bahn.com)

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline deibid

• Next station...
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
« Reply #686 on: April 13, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »

There she is, DB 211 from Arnold, 15 quid and I would say it is unused! directly from bargain basement  :bounce:
Next station...

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #687 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
There she is, DB 211 from Arnold, 15 quid and I would say it is unused! directly from bargain basement 

Always satisfying when you score a real bargain.    Simplex couplings?  A handful of my Arnolds have, but tbh I find the clicking sound of the Simplex mechanism annoying and normally remove the little spring-wires.

Offline deibid

• Next station...
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
« Reply #688 on: April 13, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »
Nope, standard rapido couplings
Next station...

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #689 on: April 19, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »
I've just received this beauty.
A soviet locomotive that used to run in Czechoslovakia.  :heart2:

Note the yellow star...

PS: not tested yet

These locos and wagons are looking for a new home! (updated on 23 August 2018 - new items!)

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 0-6-0 3F steam locomotive in LMS crimson (N gauge)
- Graham Farish 374-132, Mk1 GUV in BR blue ‘express parcels’ (N gauge)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here