!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 133042 times)

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #990 on: August 11, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Bit of a contrast with the latest ebay acquisitions!

Minitrix BR285 diesel as HVLE open access operator.  This one seemed pretty much unused, in fact it needed stripping down and old grease removed from the pickup transfer wipers on the main board before it would run smoothly.

Roco BR485 unit. This is an old model, the box and instruction sheet having that typical musty smell! Runs nicely, there were no lights to begin with (sold as such), that was traced to a squashed spring not making contact between the two metal chassis halves. I also replaced a diode on one headlight.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #991 on: September 11, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
I do love that BR485, oozes character.

Couple of recent acquisitions: a Fleischman BR103, not the latest model but a nice smooth solid runner (I have the current model and while it's very detailed, it's almost too nice to run on the layout)

and a Fleischmann BR01, a total Rule 1 purchase, missing only the lense from one of the lights.

Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline BlythPower

• Deutsche Bundesbahn in den 80ern
    • Awards
« Reply #992 on: September 11, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
Ahoy @RailGooner and yer NagTagging…  ;)  :D

As bought at TINGS:

A Roco Eaos hopper, one of a pair of gratuitous half price cars and one of a pack of as yet unpainted lineside cabinets:

The expanding departmental train with Roco coaches and Fleischmann ballast hoppers bought at last year's TINGS:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #993 on: September 11, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »
Here you go then  @RailGooner  - ruined Roco Re 4/4.IV from TINGS bargain bin.
Worth it for spares for the pantographs alone, but it is complete and running ok so will have to see about stripping the bad paint job and coming up with something interesting and different that's not been available off the shelf.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #994 on: September 11, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
And a couple more TINGS purchases. A Minitrix BR 41 2-8-2 loco for £62 from Plus Daughters. Nice assurance from them that it had been tested prior to bringing it to the show but that if I found it didn't work when I got it home they would refund me without question. The loco is in good condition, but bizarrely was missing couplings. In the box I found a spare coupling and an NEM insert in case I want to fit a front coupling; as the front buffer beam is nicely detailed I think I'll stick with just a rear coupling, where I've fitted a Dapol short shank coupling. It's missing one of the ladders on the back of the tender, but I can live with that, and it runs very smoothly.

Also picked up a Roco BRyl 446 restaurant/second for £8 from Anoraks Anonymous. Although it's actually in Epoch IV livery (school boy error on my part) it nevertheless looks well (I think) with my Epoch IIIb D-Zug set, even if it does sit fractionally lower than the Minitrix coaches that it's seen with here.

I wanted some DM Toys items (actually, I really wanted one of their bags) but the items I wanted were "too new" to have been shipped with their stand, apparently.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #995 on: September 11, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »
Worth it for spares for the pantographs alone, but it is complete and running ok so will have to see about stripping the bad paint job and coming up with something interesting and different that's not been available off the shelf.

Märklin had a nice advertising livery on one of the Re 4/4 IV's after they were acquired by the SOB, and - not too surprising :no: - Roco did not reproduce this in N: the "Metallbaukasten" (metal construction kit - similar to Meccano). I think this would look nice:

http://www.bahnbilder.de/1200/die-sob-maerklin-metallkasten-re-150908.jpg

But other SOB liveries are certainly easier to reproduce, and as all SBB liveries have been made by Roco, a SOB variant seems the natural choice.

Also picked up a Roco BRyl 446 restaurant/second for £8 from Anoraks Anonymous. Although it's actually in Epoch IV livery (school boy error on my part) it nevertheless looks well (I think) with my Epoch IIIb D-Zug set, even if it does sit fractionally lower than the Minitrix coaches that it's seen with here.

Really no problem to include an Ep. IV lettered coach in this train. The renumbering of the passenger cars was done between October 1966 and late 1968. For late Ep. IIIb this is even more prototypical than only Ep. III lettered cars.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #996 on: September 11, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »
a Fleischmann BR01, a total Rule 1 purchase, missing only the lense from one of the lights.

To be precise ;) - it's a BR 01.10, the more powerful and faster 3-cylinder successor based on the BR 01. But of course the two are quite similar once the full streamlining of the 01.10 had been removed after the war.

I notice that yours is 01 1093, the final version of Fleischmann's 7170 coal-fired 01.10.
There's a funny story: The 7170 was available for more than 20 years with Ep. IV computer numbers - first as 011 066-6. Someone at Fleischmann then noticed that the check digit -6 was calculated wrong for the number, and after five years they corrected it to 011 066-8. So far so good - except that there never was an 011 066. :no: The former 01 1066 had been converted to oil firing in 1957 and thus in 1968 was renumbered into class 012 instead 011. So there only ever was an 012 066-7 ... :doh:

Why Fleischmann chose to produce a fantasy 011 066 instead of just taking one real number from a photo, no one will ever know. And they did so for more than 20 years ... ::)
Finally, around the year 2000 your 01 1093 variant was released and produced for about five years. I have just checked, that was renumbered into 011 093-2, so it was indeed a coal-fired loco and they got this number right. :claphappy:

Offline free debt man

• N Gauge Society Number: 5271
    • Awards
« Reply #997 on: September 12, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
Reply 994 quote:
And a couple more TINGS purchases. A Minitrix BR 41 2-8-2 loco for £62 from Plus Daughters. Nice assurance from them that it had been tested prior to bringing it to the show but that if I found it didn't work when I got it home they would refund me without question.

Was it your loco that Dave C tested on my layout Depot de Camions? It went very well & did not look too out of place with the modern electrics & diesels I like.
I am delighted to test anything 1/160 on my layout... mind you the occasional 1/148 do slip through!
Thanks to Mount Tabor & Mr Carnaby ( I hope I got that right) I spent far too much at the show.
Stuart Conlon
General Secretary
N Gauge Society

Online GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #998 on: September 12, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
Was it your loco that Dave C tested on my layout Depot de Camions? It went very well & did not look too out of place with the modern electrics & diesels I like.
I am delighted to test anything 1/160 on my layout... mind you the occasional 1/148 do slip through!
Thanks to Mount Tabor & Mr Carnaby ( I hope I got that right) I spent far too much at the show.

It might have been, although I suspect not as I was told that the loco had been tested prior to them coming to the show rather than actually at the show... but in any event I am pleased to confirm that it does run well. But if you're there next year and happy to test 1:160 purchases...
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #999 on: September 20, 2018, 12:16:15 AM »

Simple answer is to turn it into an SOB Re446. They get around a bit

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1000 on: September 20, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »

Simple answer is to turn it into an SOB Re446. They get around a bit

Nigel and I have a cunning plan....

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1001 on: October 05, 2018, 08:30:02 PM »
My 2017 Christmas present has finally arrived. :claphappy:
Although not “born” in Switzerland 01 202 is now a Swiss resident and regularly travels all over the country with occasional trips into its native Germany. It has been preserved by the “Schweizer Verein Pacific 01 202” in Lyss and in my opinion this model by Minitrix captures the prototype well. I am not an expert on German locos but from my own experience of seeing 01 202 several times and studying photos and videos the livery and detail differences from the previous Minitrix loco 01 150 appear to have been carried out well. Although I wasn’t expecting too much from a tender drive loco I was still a bit disappointed when I tested it on the 2.7% gradients of my layout and it could only haul 3 passenger cars.
I did a bit of investigating and found that this lack of power had been the subject of much discussion on the German forums. As supplied the loco has two traction tyres on the fourth axle of the tender. The original Minitrix advertising said that it would have four traction tyres and even the exploded diagram supplied with the loco shows four but that doesn’t appear to be the case when the loco went into production. Although the German forums members had already done this I too contacted Minitrix (Märklin) only to be told that the loco had the correct number of traction tyres but with no explanation as to why it was originally supposed to have four.
In the past I have occasionally found that the traction tyres as originally fitted by the manufacturers are not necessarily in the optimum positions and that performance could be improved by moving them. With this in mind I decided to experiment and surprisingly found that swapping the axle with the two traction tyres with the third axle increased the locos hauling capacity substantially. The loco can now haul 8 passenger cars up my 2.7% gradients and has no problem restarting on them should the need arise.
This improvement in power combined with smooth running and what I consider to be pretty convincing sound (particularly for N scale) has made me even happier with the loco.

John

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1002 on: October 05, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
Thanks John. I have been thinking of adding this Pacific some day - could be a distant day, but ........ - so I am interested in all you have to say about the traction problems.

Looks magnificent upon your wonderful layout. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1003 on: October 06, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
Thanks John. I have been thinking of adding this Pacific some day - could be a distant day, but ........ - so I am interested in all you have to say about the traction problems.

Looks magnificent upon your wonderful layout. :thumbsup:
Thanks Mike. It's obvious from my findings that the loco relies heavily on it's traction tyres so I have already sent to Märklin for some spares. Fortunately, should the need arise, they are easy to change with the minimum of dismantling.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:21:01 AM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Globi

• Awards
« Reply #1004 on: October 10, 2018, 11:33:46 AM »
Bit of a contrast with the latest ebay acquisitions!

Minitrix BR285 diesel as HVLE open access operator.  This one seemed pretty much unused, in fact it needed stripping down and old grease removed from the pickup transfer wipers on the main board before it would run smoothly.

The HVLE looks particularly cool, will look good with freight traffic! :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here