!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 207716 times)

Offline Raymond

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1635 on: August 02, 2020, 09:35:34 PM »
Lovely newcomer today. It's beautiful .....

I like sitting in my hottub with a beer or two…...

Offline pete_h

• Awards
« Reply #1636 on: August 05, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »
Took me far longer than it should thanks to iPhones and macos. Then I uploaded the photo to the gallery, but now see it is a redundant step. Good job I'm not a software developer, oh wait...  :dunce:

Anyway, but here is my new purchase. What can I say I'm a sucker for lights on things...

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1637 on: August 05, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
ooops... finger slipped and I went and bought this  :D  :D

Arnold HN2074  Reichsbahn BR 18

The double tender models are up for silly money at the moment so I thought I'd stick with the single tender.

Seems nice and smooth, though doesn't have the weightiness of the old German made Arnold models.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1638 on: August 06, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
That’s a nice version. :thumbsup:
 I have a brighter green one but I prefer the darker greens of the recent releases. I particularly like the coal-fired dark green one – one day … ::)
Strange that Arnold does not re-release the red and double-tender versions when you see how much they sell for.
Peter

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1639 on: August 07, 2020, 11:28:05 AM »
A couple of new additions to the Sustenbahn roster have arrived in the last few days. The first is the Seetal version of the Piko RBe railcar and BDt driving trailer. I got the modernised RBe 540 set several months ago and hadn’t planned on getting the older green version. That was until I saw that Piko were doing the Seetal version with its characteristic fluorescent front. A bit of a “Marmite livery” to many Swiss railway fans but I like it probably because it added a splash of colour at a time when most Swiss standard gauge trains were green, brown and grey. The Seetal line had some roadside sections and the fluorescent front was added to some of these railcars in an attempt to cut down on the number of collisions between trains and road vehicles. Once again I am pleased with the model and continue to be impressed with the level of detail and smooth, quiet running characteristics of Piko products.

A photo I took of a similar railcar at Airolo in 1992. Piko have modelled their RBe before the rectangular halogen lights were added.

A couple of shots of the RBe and the BDt on my layout.  Sorry for the clash of eras with the modern BLS sign. :-[

The second addition is yet another Vectron. This time it’s a Hobbytrain one representing the second batch delivered to SBB cargo International. The livery is very similar to the earlier versions but the base colour is now blue instead of red. It’s a nice smooth and quiet runner and I’m pleased to say that Hobbytrain have finally started fitting grey pantograph insulators instead of the bright red ones. The loco now matches the Fleischmann version without me having to get out the paintbrush. :)

John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1640 on: August 08, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »
A couple of new additions to the Sustenbahn roster have arrived in the last few days. The first is the Seetal version of the Piko RBe railcar and BDt driving trailer. I got the modernised RBe 540 set several months ago and hadn’t planned on getting the older green version. That was until I saw that Piko were doing the Seetal version with its characteristic fluorescent front. A bit of a “Marmite livery” to many Swiss railway fans but I like it probably because it added a splash of colour at a time when most Swiss standard gauge trains were green, brown and grey. The Seetal line had some roadside sections and the fluorescent front was added to some of these railcars in an attempt to cut down on the number of collisions between trains and road vehicles. Once again I am pleased with the model and continue to be impressed with the level of detail and smooth, quiet running characteristics of Piko products.

A photo I took of a similar railcar at Airolo in 1992. Piko have modelled their RBe before the rectangular halogen lights were added.

The second addition is yet another Vectron. This time it’s a Hobbytrain one representing the second batch delivered to SBB cargo International. The livery is very similar to the earlier versions but the base colour is now blue instead of red. It’s a nice smooth and quiet runner and I’m pleased to say that Hobbytrain have finally started fitting grey pantograph insulators instead of the bright red ones. The loco now matches the Fleischmann version without me having to get out the paintbrush. :)

New additions looking splendid John. I just looked up the Seetal Bahn as I had heard of it but did not know about its unique characteristics. Thank you!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1641 on: August 08, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »

New additions looking splendid John. I just looked up the Seetal Bahn as I had heard of it but did not know about its unique characteristics. Thank you!

Thanks Matt.@Globibahn There's a nice modern day Seetal cabride video here if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgQ0dJaAkA
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:19:18 PM by swisstrains »
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1642 on: August 08, 2020, 09:48:30 PM »

Thanks Matt.@Globibahn There's a nice modern day Seetal cabride video here if you're interested.

Good video John - I like where the railway crosses a roundabout!!! :goggleeyes:

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #1643 on: August 13, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »
Some more additions to the Bregenbach fleet.

I've decided now to go for the tail end of Epoch IV, which allows me mainly turquoise & beige but also the liveries that applied before 1974- given that locos were still running in these well into the nineties, and also allows me the green and grey local coach livery plus Rhein - Ruhr class 143s cascaded to the Black Forest.  I will stretch things a little with a couple of more recent locos, but the newer Hobbytrains will probably go as their pantographs are a) too fragile and b) not flat on top which means they catch in the overhead.

However- first in is a class 139, computer number but old roof details.  Hobbytrain loco bought secondhand and already DCC fitted.

Next up a pair of beer wagons, actually from some sets I've been buying.  Very pretty and in reality they weren't as common as the manufacturers would have you believe, but so what.

Riegeler Bier is from the area near the Kaiserstuhl North of Freiburg, so quite local.  Quite tasty, the favourite tipple of some of the staff from our twin school.  the others drank Ganter...

One from the other end of the Bregtalbahn at Donaueschingen.  Both these wagons are by Sowa, though the second brewery was also covered by Fleischmann, Minitrix and Roco that I know of (there may be more).  there is also a Ganter wagon.  These all have older style chassis without NEM pockets so won't be fitted with easi-shunts to work the brewery.

Lastly, a video of the Class 143.  I've turned the pantographs round on this one to put the elbows inwards.  Not correct but it allows the loco to run with the right (rear) pantograph raised with a lot less danger of it spragging in the overhead and breaking. I can't see all that many people noticing at a show.

Les

Offline Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #1644 on: August 14, 2020, 12:33:14 AM »

What struck me most in that video was how clean things are! I had to check it wasn't a model at one stage  :doh:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1645 on: August 14, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »
... the newer Hobbytrains will probably go as their pantographs are a) too fragile and b) not flat on top which means they catch in the overhead.

Yes I've noticed the lumpy panto heads on some recent Hobbytrain models too. Strange design.  I'll sort them out rather than get rid of them though.  I replaced the heads on some models a while back (I got hold of a bunch of Hornby/Arnold spares really cheaply), but I have some models which have yet to take a trip around the layout to prove they are safe riding the wires.   My catenary is the old Vollmer/Minitrix stuff from the 80s/90s and is set for the typical Sommerfeldt panto heads from those days.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #1646 on: August 15, 2020, 11:26:12 PM »

A couple of shots of the RBe and the BDt on my layout.  Sorry for the clash of eras with the modern BLS sign. :-[

Very nice John. How do the Fleischmann and Hobbytrain Vectron models compare detailing wise?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #1647 on: August 15, 2020, 11:28:35 PM »
... the newer Hobbytrains will probably go as their pantographs are a) too fragile and b) not flat on top which means they catch in the overhead.

Yes I've noticed the lumpy panto heads on some recent Hobbytrain models too. Strange design.  I'll sort them out rather than get rid of them though.  I replaced the heads on some models a while back (I got hold of a bunch of Hornby/Arnold spares really cheaply), but I have some models which have yet to take a trip around the layout to prove they are safe riding the wires.   My catenary is the old Vollmer/Minitrix stuff from the 80s/90s and is set for the typical Sommerfeldt panto heads from those days.

Most of mine is Hobbex, which I think may be the same stuff under a different name.  There are two wires by Sommerfeldt, and these have needed a degree of filing at every dropper to remove lumps of copper hanging down below the running wire and snagging the pantographs.  I've only filed about three droppers on the Hobbex wires for the same fault.  the Sommerfeldt was used for one spot where I needed an intermediate length between the two wires in the Hobbex range.

While I'm replying, this arrived from Rails secondhand emporium this morning.

A Fleischmann double-decker control coach in the original green and grey- correct for a Rhein-Ruhr liveried class 143 in the Black Forest- and for that matter for a class 139 towards the end of their tenure on Hollentalbahn services. 

It is a little longer than the rest of the coaches so I've had to enlarge some clearances to get it to run round without catching.  It is quite happy now to be propelled round my 8.5 inch radius hidden curves.  All it needs now is another double-decker or an ex-Silberling to run with it- the Hollentalbahn trains in the video were mixed double-deck and ex-Silberlingen.

Les
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:32:37 PM by Les1952, Reason: must learn to spell »

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1648 on: August 16, 2020, 10:13:56 AM »

Very nice John. How do the Fleischmann and Hobbytrain Vectron models compare detailing wise?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I would say the main difference between the two is the roof detail. The pantos on the Fleischmann model are finer and there is slightly more detail (insulators, busbars etc) on the roof. Apart from this there is very little difference between the two. Looking at examples of both makes from the front the Hobbytrain version looks "chunkier" but based on the measurements given on Siemens website the Fleischmann loco is actually a bit on the narrow side.
John

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #1649 on: August 16, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I would say the main difference between the two is the roof detail. The pantos on the Fleischmann model are finer and there is slightly more detail (insulators, busbars etc) on the roof. Apart from this there is very little difference between the two. Looking at examples of both makes from the front the Hobbytrain version looks "chunkier" but based on the measurements given on Siemens website the Fleischmann loco is actually a bit on the narrow side.

Cheers. If both locos are pretty spot on then its a good way of getting a variety of running numbers by buying one from each brand.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal