!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 201252 times)

Offline Les1952

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1590 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:25 PM »

I wanted a turquiose and beige class 141 for the fleet but DCC fitted ones are as rare as hens teeth it seems.  The red 141 I had is a nice model and runs well but I'm not a fan of the red and never saw a red 141.

So, when a secondhand t/b Fleischmann 141 appeared on eBay marked as "digital" at a price that looked more like analogue I took a punt.

Here then is the latest bitza.  The 141 turned out to be analogue and not DCC compatable.  Bitza here is the secondhand body on the chassis of the new 141 I already had.  The analogue chassis (which runs very sweetly) with the red body from the new one is now on eBay and already has a bid.

I must get round to ordering some blue DB decals, this is the second loco with red ones to be covered over.

Les

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1591 on: July 12, 2020, 11:24:44 PM »
A "Must-have" loco.

Wrong railway (OBB) and too modern for Bregenbach, but if I'm running "today" it will work alongside the other locos of its ilk.

OBB's Einstein Taurus, a 4-voltage machine so it could turn up anywhere (at least that's my excuse).  Hobbytrain model fitted by me with a Gaugemaster 6-pin chip. Oh, by the way it is different on the other side....

Both posed on Bregenbach viaduct.  The backscene hole at the right of the second picture is currently being thought about- it is at a shallow angle so will be difficult to disguise.  Plenty of trees in front and a false backscene behind may do the trick.

Meanwhile two Euro 2008 Tauri have arrived and are waiting for DCC compliant chassis for swapping.  Polish and Czech Tauri will appear on eBay over the next few months as analogue only.

Les

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1592 on: July 13, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
Wrong railway (OBB)

:( ÖBB wrong? :'(

Anyway, you have the wrong railway. :P
This is not an ÖBB Taurus but a Slovenian Railways (SŽ) 541.0 which is also approved for Croatia, Austria and Germany. So, at least geographically it could be seen at Bregenbach. :)
Peter

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1593 on: July 13, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »
Wrong railway (OBB)

:( ÖBB wrong? :'(

Anyway, you have the wrong railway. :P
This is not an ÖBB Taurus but a Slovenian Railways (SŽ) 541.0 which is also approved for Croatia, Austria and Germany. So, at least geographically it could be seen at Bregenbach. :)

Many thanks for that.  It has exceptionally small lettering so was hard to decipher the details- not helped by having the full EVN as its only number I could find..

Would be on a diverted freight if it were at Bregenbach (unlikely as there is rather a lot of either Switzerland or non-electrified DB between Austria and Donaueschingen) , or possibly out on hire from the lessor looking for a better hire rate......

Les

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #1594 on: July 14, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me what area's the Rail Force One Vectron normally cover? Really quite fancy this model.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/fleischmann-fm739290.html

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1595 on: July 14, 2020, 08:40:03 PM »
@Dave_K  To quote Roco's page for the HO model;

"The Dutch railway company Rail Force One has put into service a Vectron locomotive in a remarkable design. The loco and its design ressembles a shark. The machine is mainly used to haul goods trains in the Netherlands, Germany and Poland."

Have a look at some of the photos and videos of it in action - should give you some clues as to places it's been operating.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:43:13 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #1596 on: July 14, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
To quote Roco's page for the HO model

Ah, I hadn't seen that, thanks Nick.

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1597 on: July 14, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Can anyone tell me what area's the Rail Force One Vectron normally cover? Really quite fancy this model.

If it is currently used on 15KV, 3KV and 1500volts, you could get away with it in the DC areas of France plus Belgium, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

Traffic flows change all the time as contracts are gained and lost.

Les

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1598 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »

If it is currently used on 15KV, 3KV and 1500volts, you could get away with it in the DC areas of France plus Belgium, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

Les

Unfortunately it's not as simple as having the correct electrical system. The loco must also have the necessary safety systems installed for the country in which it is to run. This loco (193 623) is equipped for Germany, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania and Netherlands. At the moment it appears to be working mainly oil trains from the refineries in Pernis (NL) to Germany.
Pity it can't go into Switzerland beyond Basel as I would have loved one also. :(
John

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #1599 on: July 14, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »

Les

Unfortunately it's not as simple as having the correct electrical system. The loco must also have the necessary safety systems installed for the country in which it is to run. This loco (193 623) is equipped for Germany, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania and Netherlands. At the moment it appears to be working mainly oil trains from the refineries in Pernis (NL) to Germany.
Pity it can't go into Switzerland beyond Basel as I would have loved one also. :(

Oh please don't tell me that it operates in Poland!! I have only just bought a PKP Cargo loco and my railway budget for this month is spent out... :(
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1600 on: July 15, 2020, 08:08:18 AM »

Les

How many people other than yourself will know (or bother to find out) that it doesn't have the correct safety case?  Definitely a rule 1 loco if you want one. 

As an aside I ran Tokyo trams on my German layout Furtwangen Ost for 17 exhibitions and NOT ONE person commented (even though one got quite irate that the plastic pantographs weren't picking up current...)

Les

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1601 on: July 15, 2020, 09:11:08 AM »

Les

How many people other than yourself will know (or bother to find out) that it doesn't have the correct safety case?  Definitely a rule 1 loco if you want one. 

As an aside I ran Tokyo trams on my German layout Furtwangen Ost for 17 exhibitions and NOT ONE person commented (even though one got quite irate that the plastic pantographs weren't picking up current...)

Les

We all have different criteria when it comes to applying Rule 1. Dave K asked what areas the loco normally covered and I gave him some info with that in mind. It is then up to him to decide if he wishes to apply Rule 1, not you or I.
John

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #1602 on: July 15, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »
Thanks for everyone's information and opinions, most appreciated. We shall leave it here now. We each enjoy our hobby with our own personal rules on what we run on our layouts, be it authentic, factual, 'near as', fun or whatever. As long as we are happy and enjoy it - our individuality is what makes our hobby special.

As my layout isn't even built, I shall defer purchasing any locos until I have the basics done!

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1603 on: July 17, 2020, 11:04:03 PM »
A pair of Hobbytrain Taurus models, both PKP, purchased to re-chassis a pair of pre-2010 Taurus models so I can run them as DCC.

First one to arrive. This one is a definite no-no for using as it is. the loco is 3000V DC only.  It also has an issue with the chip that was in it when it arrived, but runs perfectly on analogue.  It doesn't like the Zimo chip I put into it either - the second loco not to like this chip so I'll put a Lenz in before it donates its chassis.  If it doesn't like the Lenz chip I'll fit a blanking plate and sell it on as analogue.

The second PKP Taurus, this one multi-voltage. I've not yet found out which voltages other than 3KV DC. I put a new Gaugemaster chip into it and it seems to run well enough.  As a result I've done the body swap.

-- UPDATE-- I've just found a video on YouTube of this very loco arriving in Berlin- perhaps it might get a swap back and kept.... ---

Swapping bodies between a Hobbytrain by Conrad Taurus and a Hobbytrain by Lemke one involves gutting both of all the internal bits, cab fittings and light conduits, then replacing each inside the other body.  The cab interior from the Lemke one needs to be filed narrower to fit. 

Resulting Frankentaurus- the body from a 2008 vintage OBB European Cup loco on the chassis of the second PKP loco.

The resulting loco is appropriate voltage, could POSSIBLY have worked through Bregenbach had it existed- there is a picture of it North of Koblenz on a freight.  It is a little iffy about its Gaugemaster chip, so it will also get a Lenz chip when they arrive from Digitrains next week.

Frankenmonster on test with the other PKP and the Slovenian Einstein Taurus standing in the loop.  The grey foam is helping me plot the contours for the bit of scenery over the lower level tunnel.

Meanwhile I'm wondering if I used the innards of the wrong body.  No more Frankenmonsters until the Lenz chips arrive.  Next loco to arrive will be a Fleischmann 143 in the condition they worked the Hollentalbahn, definitely a local loco.

Les

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:14:30 PM by Les1952, Reason: update »

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1604 on: July 18, 2020, 09:32:23 AM »
A pair of Hobbytrain Taurus models, both PKP, purchased to re-chassis a pair of pre-2010 Taurus models so I can run them as DCC.

First one to arrive. This one is a definite no-no for using as it is. the loco is 3000V DC only.  It also has an issue with the chip that was in it when it arrived, but runs perfectly on analogue.  It doesn't like the Zimo chip I put into it either - the second loco not to like this chip so I'll put a Lenz in before it donates its chassis.  If it doesn't like the Lenz chip I'll fit a blanking plate and sell it on as analogue.

Hi Les. When you say the loco is 3000V DC only is that because someone has removed the other two pantographs that this loco would have had when new? As it says on the data panel 370 001 is a ES64 U4 loco the same as 370 004.
John

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal