!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 196217 times)

Offline dickrowland

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1515 on: May 23, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »
 I have two of the ex-Rowa/Minitrix version. Until, many years ago, David Carpenter put me on the right road to checking the accuracy of these things, I never realised that they had the wrong bogies. They were Minitrix, Fleischmann for heaven's sake: of course they were accurate!

I retro fitted mine with Minden-Deutz Leicht bogies as fitted to the Roco Umbauwagen. Later I did the same to a Fleischmann 'Karlsruhe'type Steurwagen.
More recent Fleischmann production Silberlinge, do, in fact have Minden-Deutz Leicht bogies. I do not know if the same applies to the current Minitrix production.

I will fit the sandboxes to my Steuerwagen bogies, one day when I'm really bored, but before my eyesight gives out. I draw the line at fitting the shunter's steps, at least for coaches that are to be used on a layout, as opposed to sitting in a display case.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:28:05 AM by dickrowland »

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #1516 on: May 25, 2020, 08:23:06 PM »
Here is the Minitrix Silberling from the driving end.  I must confess that at the end of a train moving across the front of a layout it is very unlikely anyone will notice it has the wrong bogies- more likely they will spot the over-clean roof (some light weathering to do) and comment on the train -

As I said put a BR78 on the other end with a pair of 3-axle umbauwagen in the middle and there you have an authentic Black Forest push-pull train.  It seems odd that 3-axle umbauwagen were wired for push-pull but the bogie umbauwagen weren't.

On the incline at the front of Bregenbach.  Still a little tweaking to do on the gradient before I ballast and add catenary.  The layout will need Perspex screens along the front to stop expensive locos hitting an exhibition hall floor- I've had too many do that already...

the viaduct in the background is by DM Toys-Modellbahn Union.  They are the only ones to do a curved viaduct on a large radius.

Les

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #1517 on: June 02, 2020, 10:46:56 PM »
latest toy 

A Minitrix E93 with DCC on board.  Another that runs like a dream.  Photographed on the viaduct on Bregenbach pulling the first test train to go round the full layout. 

The viaduct needed half an arch chopping off to fit the space.  It looks a lot better now it has a base layer of paint on it and the first stage of weathering with individual stones picked out. 

The layout now has the track down all the way round with just the industry sidings in the top station to lay.  An experimental section of catenary is up and all locos are being tested to ensure their pantographs run under it with no problems- single arm pans will have to run with the elbow forward to protect them, even though in many instances that is wrong.

Four six-wheeled coaches coming- I've a feeling the layout may need to back date a little before it is finished....

Les

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1518 on: June 03, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
Hi all,

On the wrong layout as testing and not great pics but a Minitrix SNCF BB 15000 gift from earlier this year. I never bought one of the old Minitrix TEE versions but have always wanted one of the type......

20200531_190350 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200531_190318 (1) by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

They're not right for my '80s/'90s Brittany ferry port layout either but as they have been (and still are ?) used on the Paris - Rouen - Le Havre and Paris - Caen - Cherbourg routes in Normandy now, I am sure I can modernise my stock (always wanted a modern TGV) for 21st Century running with a only a little bit of Rule 1 needed for the Brittany link.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:49:25 AM by weave »

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1519 on: June 05, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
I have always had a liking for the small Swiss shunting tractors so when Pirata introduced their Tm lV and Tm232 versions several years ago they caught my attention. A lack of experience with the Pirata brand and doubts about the effectiveness of the lightweight design has, until now, put me off buying one but I have finally decided to take a chance and I’m not disappointed.
The “hand made in Italy” model has a resin body with etched fittings and is mounted,  no doubt to reduce costs, on the same chassis as the Hobbytrain V20. The main disadvantage of using an existing chassis is the very slight difference in wheel spacing but you have to look really hard to see that the Tm232’s axleboxes do not quite line up with the wheel centres. The width and height of the loco are pretty accurate but the length over buffers is about 3-4mm too long, again probably due to using the Hobbytrain chassis. The body shell is crisp and generally well finished with painting and lettering done to a high standard. The loco runs smoothly with the minimum of noise and despite its low weight can easily haul 5 bogie wagons on the flat. Needless to say for reliable running the track does need to be perfectly clean. The loco does have a decoder socket but it will not be joining my DCC fleet. I’m very pleased with this Pirata offering and look forward to seeing their promised SBB Bm4/4.

John

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #1520 on: June 05, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »
I found the multitude of shunters in Switzerland quite interesting when I've been there. That Tm232 does look quite good, thanks for the write up.

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #1521 on: June 05, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
Eureka, I've finally managed to fix my two Roco N scale V188s so that they run properly.

To recap, the problem with my previously extremely reliable green V188 was that the gear wheels, fitted to the axles, had a catastrophic 'split gear' failure. The rest of the gear train, from the motor was still O.K.

I considered several options, such as sourcing and fitting brass gear wheels or, in the worst case using the Lok as a static in the Bw area.

A few years later I acquired a red version of the V188, advertised as being for spares. On investigation, this had the same problem, even though everything else was good.

Both Loks disappeared into the 'one day' box.

In the mean time the layout was progressed, and a few other projects were progressed and, in some cases, even completed!

I had tried to get replacement wheel sets, using the number from the service sheet, but without success.

Browsing the web in 'lock down' mode, I thought I would try the Roco spares section of the website, this time just typing in 'N V188', nothing more specific. Just browsing really as I knew that Roco did not produce N scale any more.

To my amazement the 'drop down' list, that appeared, included Final drive gear wheels as separate items, and for a fairly reasonable price.

The specification:

Zahnrad Z=13 (No.of teeth)/ M0.3 Item No. 86505

The final drive diagram, on the service sheet, showed two slightly different types of gear wheel.
One with a moulded collar on one side, meant for the axles at each end of one Lok unit (the V188 is articulated), the other without a moulded collar, meant for the centre two axles.

The version with the moulded on collar was the only one shown as being available. I decided to take a chance, ordering enough for both Loks plus a few spares in case the 'split gear' syndrome should arise again.

The gear wheels arrived this week. I used a mini gear puller to very carefully loosen and carefully remove one wheel per axle, being extremely careful not to twist the wheel and damage the plastic wheel centre.

The old gear wheel could then be slid off the axle, easy when the gear has split anyway or in some cases completely disappeared. Clean the axle and check the splines.

Place the new gear wheel on the end of the axle, collar first. I placed the wheel on a cutting mat for support. I then used both thumb nails, either side of the axle end, to very gently slide the gear wheel fully on the axle until it was in the required position without twisting. The other wheel could then be refitted, pressing it carefully, once more without any twisting motion. This avoids the splines damaging the plastic wheel centres. I checked the 'back to back' with a gauge, in this case a machined alloy block which I have had for years.

I fitted the same gear wheels to all four axle in each Lok unit. There seemed to be adequate clearance for the moulded on collars. I had already checked and cleaned the pick ups.

This proved to be fine when the Lok was running upside down in the Peco servicing cradle but not on the track. The centre two wheel sets could barely move side to side, the Lok derailed on everything but the straightest of track.

What to do? I did not want to remove the wheels again in case I weakened the new gear wheels, or damaged the plastic wheel centres.

I removed the centre two wheel sets from each Lok unit. Laying the wheel set on the cutting mat, I carefully separated the collar from the gear wheel with a small bladed craft knife, gradually cutting through until I could feel the blade touching the axle. I cut all around the axle until the collar could be slid away from the gear wheel and removed. The gear wheel remained secure on the splines at the mid point of the axle, even though though they did need to be moved along the axle, very slightly, so that they had a better alignment with the motor gear train.

I reassembled everything. An appropriate amount of Labelle in the right location and on to the track.
A little noisy but they run slowly and smoothly. I am certainly pleased with the result, and now have more space in my 'one day' box for the next basket case!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1522 on: June 06, 2020, 08:44:03 PM »
Spiez is one of my favourite train watching locations in Switzerland. One of the regular workings seen here conveys gypsum from the nearby quarry at Leissigen to the plasterboard factory in Heimberg. The Uacns silo-wagons used on these workings are now produced as a set by Fleischmann so, as I like to try and recreate trains that I have seen, they just had to be added to my collection ::). The Rigips version is similar to the other Uacns silos produced by Fleischmann in the past 12 months but with a few small detail differences. Unfortunately some of the earlier Jura Cement and Holcim Cement wagons have had printing and build-quality problems but I am unable to find any faults with the Rigips ones.

My shortened version of a typical train conveying these vehicles. The Vigier hoppers  next to the loco are two of my oldest Swiss wagons. They were produced my Minitrix in the 1980’s and although not strictly accurate they are IMO a pretty good representation of the real thing.

And finally one of the real trains at Spiez in 2013. It’s quite possible that these workings have now ceased as Rigips announced that both the quarry and the factory were to close in 2020.

John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1523 on: June 06, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »

My shortened version of a typical train conveying these vehicles. The Vigier hoppers  next to the loco are two of my oldest Swiss wagons.

Great stuff John, I also like your Pirata shunter.

What brand is the RE6/6? I think that loco has been a bit neglected in N Gauge!

Matt

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1524 on: June 06, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »

My shortened version of a typical train conveying these vehicles. The Vigier hoppers  next to the loco are two of my oldest Swiss wagons.

Great stuff John, I also like your Pirata shunter.

What brand is the RE6/6? I think that loco has been a bit neglected in N Gauge!

Matt

Thanks Matt. The Re6/6 is from Hobbytrain. This particular one is the later version but still made by Kato. I think the Hobbytrain Re6/6 is the only one that's ever been available in N Gauge.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1525 on: June 06, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »

Thanks Matt. The Re6/6 is from Hobbytrain. This particular one is the later version but still made by Kato. I think the Hobbytrain Re6/6 is the only one that's ever been available in N Gauge.

I really like RE6/6s,, I had no idea Kato were currently producing one - very interesting.

When I visited Switzerland a lot in the early 2000s they were in great numbers hauling Intercity and Eurocity trains over the Gotthard.

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1527 on: June 07, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »

I really like RE6/6s,, I had no idea Kato were currently producing one - very interesting.

When I visited Switzerland a lot in the early 2000s they were in great numbers hauling Intercity and Eurocity trains over the Gotthard.

Those were the days Matt. Some of the EC trains were massive but the Re6/6's had no trouble lifting them over the Gotthard.
A new revised version of the Re6/6 including, amongst other things, a decoder socket has been promised by Kato. That was several years ago. They have tended to neglect the standard gauge European models recently and concentrated on their 1:150 RhB stuff.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1528 on: June 07, 2020, 09:49:12 AM »

Those were the days Matt. Some of the EC trains were massive but the Re6/6's had no trouble lifting them over the Gotthard.

I agree, those were the days. Actually I remember standing on the platform - think it was at Sisikon or nearby - attempting to get a snap of a red one as it approached the station, I didn't realise how fast it was going with it's IC train and it honked at me before whooshing past at full tilt, gave me a bit of a freight truth be told! :-[

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #1529 on: June 07, 2020, 06:53:56 PM »
Eureka, I've finally managed to fix my two Roco N scale V188s so that they run properly.

To recap, the problem with my previously extremely reliable green V188 was that the gear wheels, fitted to the axles, had a catastrophic 'split gear' failure. The rest of the gear train, from the motor was still O.K.

I considered several options, such as sourcing and fitting brass gear wheels or, in the worst case using the Lok as a static in the Bw area.

A few years later I acquired a red version of the V188, advertised as being for spares. On investigation, this had the same problem, even though everything else was good.

Both Loks disappeared into the 'one day' box.

In the mean time the layout was progressed, and a few other projects were progressed and, in some cases, even completed!

I had tried to get replacement wheel sets, using the number from the service sheet, but without success.

Browsing the web in 'lock down' mode, I thought I would try the Roco spares section of the website, this time just typing in 'N V188', nothing more specific. Just browsing really as I knew that Roco did not produce N scale any more.

To my amazement the 'drop down' list, that appeared, included Final drive gear wheels as separate items, and for a fairly reasonable price.

The specification:

Zahnrad Z=13 (No.of teeth)/ M0.3 Item No. 86505

The final drive diagram, on the service sheet, showed two slightly different types of gear wheel.
One with a moulded collar on one side, meant for the axles at each end of one Lok unit (the V188 is articulated), the other without a moulded collar, meant for the centre two axles.

The version with the moulded on collar was the only one shown as being available. I decided to take a chance, ordering enough for both Loks plus a few spares in case the 'split gear' syndrome should arise again.

The gear wheels arrived this week. I used a mini gear puller to very carefully loosen and carefully remove one wheel per axle, being extremely careful not to twist the wheel and damage the plastic wheel centre.

The old gear wheel could then be slid off the axle, easy when the gear has split anyway or in some cases completely disappeared. Clean the axle and check the splines.

Place the new gear wheel on the end of the axle, collar first. I placed the wheel on a cutting mat for support. I then used both thumb nails, either side of the axle end, to very gently slide the gear wheel fully on the axle until it was in the required position without twisting. The other wheel could then be refitted, pressing it carefully, once more without any twisting motion. This avoids the splines damaging the plastic wheel centres. I checked the 'back to back' with a gauge, in this case a machined alloy block which I have had for years.

I fitted the same gear wheels to all four axle in each Lok unit. There seemed to be adequate clearance for the moulded on collars. I had already checked and cleaned the pick ups.

This proved to be fine when the Lok was running upside down in the Peco servicing cradle but not on the track. The centre two wheel sets could barely move side to side, the Lok derailed on everything but the straightest of track.

What to do? I did not want to remove the wheels again in case I weakened the new gear wheels, or damaged the plastic wheel centres.

I removed the centre two wheel sets from each Lok unit. Laying the wheel set on the cutting mat, I carefully separated the collar from the gear wheel with a small bladed craft knife, gradually cutting through until I could feel the blade touching the axle. I cut all around the axle until the collar could be slid away from the gear wheel and removed. The gear wheel remained secure on the splines at the mid point of the axle, even though though they did need to be moved along the axle, very slightly, so that they had a better alignment with the motor gear train.

I reassembled everything. An appropriate amount of Labelle in the right location and on to the track.
A little noisy but they run slowly and smoothly. I am certainly pleased with the result, and now have more space in my 'one day' box for the next basket case!
I have 4 V188s ( to pull my rail guns) and had the same problem with three of them.

I managed to get spares from germany as well, and the old axles ended up on a spar struck as transported spares!

Lovely loco sthough.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP