!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 187621 times)

Offline GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1440 on: March 23, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
Would anyone like a copy of the latest NBahn Magazin? It has a full Nürnberg Toy Fair report.

I have a spare copy - my subscription copy didn't arrive, so I requested a replacement, and you can guess what happened next. I thought I'd put it on here rather than "sales" as readers of this thread have an interest in European outline n gauge. PM me with name and address if you'd like it (but there is only one!).

Update - the spare NBahn Magazin has found a home.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:45:24 AM by GScaleBruce, Reason: Updated information »
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1441 on: March 23, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »
I used to subscribe to N Bahn mag, but it fell by the wayside when I had a cull of non-vital outlay some years ago.  Would recommend someone take up Bruce's offer, it's a good magazine!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline dickrowland

• Awards
« Reply #1442 on: March 23, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »
With reference to N Bahn Magazin, it is a pity that individual e-copies do not seem to be available.
The N Bahn Magazin website insists on payment for a full year.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1443 on: March 23, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
@dickrowland  yeah and I seem to recall when I took out a subscription back around 2003/4 I had to pay by bank transfer which cost me almost as much again as the subscription itself, in the days before international payments were easy to do with online banking.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dawdawes1964

• Owner of 1940sradio.com, ex train driver
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1444 on: March 29, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »
A couple of nice new playthings to keep me in splendid isolation arrived at Chez Daffy yesterday:

Lovely. :)
My Gourmino arrived and its lovely , let's hope for a few more RhB models, I see Pirata have announced more wagons
Dawdawes

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #1445 on: April 02, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
I'm now building up stock for the new layout "Bregenbach" which is a ficticious settlement in the Black Forest.

Layout will operate in two time frames, back end of eighties and 2015 onwards - or at least that is the intention.

A classic E40 which will need to be given an appropriate computer number.  There were tatty green Class 140s with silver roofs still running as late as 1992 (I photographed 140 121 in Schweich).

Right up to date with a four-voltage Vectron.  It still seems funny that the same loco can pick up a train of cars near Bratislava in the Czech republic and work it all the way to Rotterdam running under 3000v DC, 25KV AC, 15KV AC and 1500v DC.

How times change....

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1446 on: April 03, 2020, 04:50:39 AM »
From the "amazing what you find second-hand in Japan" market: a pair of identical Minitrix Dostos (only one pictured):

Minitrix DB Doppelstockwagen DBz750 by Rail Squid, on Flickr
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1447 on: April 03, 2020, 06:16:36 AM »
All cool stuff!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1448 on: April 03, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
I'm now building up stock for the new layout "Bregenbach" which is a ficticious settlement in the Black Forest.

Layout will operate in two time frames, back end of eighties and 2015 onwards - or at least that is the intention.

A classic E40 which will need to be given an appropriate computer number.  There were tatty green Class 140s with silver roofs still running as late as 1992 (I photographed 140 121 in Schweich).

Right up to date with a four-voltage Vectron.  It still seems funny that the same loco can pick up a train of cars near Bratislava in the Czech republic and work it all the way to Rotterdam running under 3000v DC, 25KV AC, 15KV AC and 1500v DC.

How times change....

I know very little about the older German locos but I'm really impressed with the Vectrons.
John

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1449 on: April 05, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »
Two more for the layout- I've also been photographing stock for Hawthorn Dene, Croft Spa and the remaining analogue stuff for Rise Park.

This is a rule 1 loco, again to be renumbered with a 181 series number.  A little underpowered for a steep Black Forest line and the dual voltage (25KV for France and 15KV for Germany) might be a bit lost on this line, though conceivably it could have worked something out of Basel and turned right at Freiburg, though that is a distinctly unlikely routing.

The Kaiser Taurus- celebrating 100 years since the Kaiser abdicated (I think).  The other side is different, showing him as a young man on a slightly different background.  Austrian locos get quite a long way North along the Rhine these days so not impossible on a freight on the layout.  I've managed to damage one of the pantographs on this- they are quite fragile. As a result I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a pair of replacement Sommerfelt ones that won't break the bank.

I am intending to run with the pans in contact with the overhead if I can fiddle getting across the board join safely.

Many more pics to process, including cropping the pic of the E310 above.....

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1450 on: April 05, 2020, 11:41:03 PM »
I am intending to run with the pans in contact with the overhead if I can fiddle getting across the board join safely.

Yes I do this, it's so satisfying to see the panto ride the wire. I don't bother energising the system, it's just for show.

I have removable  lengths across the board joints. I'm using the old Vollmer/Minitrix system so they just hook into place.  I use tiny paint blobs to mark which wire goes between which masts.  I've been doing it this way since the mid 80s and  the catenary has survived probably almost 100 shows in total (plus loads of assembly/dissasembly operations at home). The worst thing is the old eyesight isn't what it was so there's a bit more "colourful language" when one of the pieces is refusing to play ball  :D

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1451 on: April 06, 2020, 04:12:25 AM »

The Kaiser Taurus- celebrating 100 years since the Kaiser abdicated (I think). 

Commemorating a century since he popped off this moral coil.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Les1952

• Awards
« Reply #1452 on: April 06, 2020, 09:02:13 AM »

Yes I do this, it's so satisfying to see the panto ride the wire. I don't bother energising the system, it's just for show.

I have removable  lengths across the board joints. I'm using the old Vollmer/Minitrix system so they just hook into place.  I use tiny paint blobs to mark which wire goes between which masts.  I've been doing it this way since the mid 80s and  the catenary has survived probably almost 100 shows in total (plus loads of assembly/dissasembly operations at home). The worst thing is the old eyesight isn't what it was so there's a bit more "colourful language" when one of the pieces is refusing to play ball  :D

With the single arm pantographs do you cheat by running them elbow forward to protect them even when it is wrong?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1453 on: April 06, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »
With the single arm pantographs do you cheat by running them elbow forward to protect them even when it is wrong?

Nope, they work fine either way round as long as the underside of the wire has nothing they could catch on. Sandpaper or a file helps to cure that.    In the absolute worst case I sometimes bend the panto arm just a little so that the head wants to angle very slightly down - ie. the front edge is not trying to dig into the wire. 

I apply a tiny amount of oil to most panto heads at the start of an exhibition and let that spread round the layout.

I have problems sometimes with the narrower panto heads on some newer models, they slip off the side of the wire on curved routes through pointwork, but that's because my catenary was installed over 20 years ago when just about everything had standard Sommerfeldt width heads so I built the catenary with more "zig-zag".   On a couple of my latest locos I've replaced the heads with wider ones.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1454 on: April 06, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
Many more pics to process, including cropping the pic of the E310 above.....

Would it be possible to give the name of the manufacturer when showing your locos etc?
I think it would be particularly useful to anyone new to Continental modelling especially those who fancy modelling the German scene.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:38:11 AM by swisstrains »
John

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal