!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 188874 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1395 on: February 26, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »
Lovely picture Nick. :thumbsup:  Standing next to the one at the VHS museum in Lucerne I got a true feeling of the majesty and size of these locos, and after four visits there over the last 20 years or so, I think I’ve finally persuaded my good lady that one on the layout is essential.  :)

Mind you, I showed her that photo above and now she’s worried I want one of each colour!  :o

As if! ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: February 26, 2020, 07:02:27 PM »
What a superb looking Kroc.  :thumbsup:  I’ve been wanting to pick up one of these magnificent locos for some time, but funds and SWMBO have to be considered, and I have yet to determine whether to buy a new model or one of the older versions that litter eBay.

New versions are now being listed from a few manufacturers, and so I have plenty of choice and decisions to make to choose the best value for my money from makers such as Minitrix, Jaegerndorfer  and Arnold.

Hi Mike.
Like Nick I have had versions of the 1980's Minitrix and Arnold Kroks for many years.

They are both reasonable runners but I would say that the Minitrix model is marginally quieter and smoother possibly due to the different drive arrangement. I also prefer the Ce 6/8 ll particularly the Brown Historic 14253 but I wanted a DCC Sound Krok so it had to be Minitrix Ce 6/8 lll as I wasn't willing to take a chance with the Jägerndorfer model after the poor reviews that their OBB Krok got. Early reviews appear to justify my concerns as it appears that the SBB Krok is just as bad as the OBB one. It has been reported that it is only half the weight of the Minitrix model and can only haul four coaches on the flat. It appears to be a poor design with only the two outer wheels directly driven from the motor and with only one traction tyre on each pair. The tyres are totally in the wrong position to take advantage of what little weight the loco has. It's a shame because it's a nice looking model and I could then have had my brown 14253.
John

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1397 on: February 26, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
Another fine photo, thanks John.

I did rather like the appearance of the Jaegerndorfer model, but your comments are duly noted. It is evident that, as in so many things in life, appearances can be deceptive. I find it staggering that a company can invest so much time and money into producing such a poor mechanical model. Ah well, from what you and Nick say, I’ll confine it to the ‘forget’ bin.

I’ll settle on a standard DC model of one of the Arnold offerings. That way the Chief Accountant won’t baulk too much when she sees the relevant entry on a future statement. (Until the next time  :D)

And your photo has reminded me that I must re-launch my long-term search for one of the vintage PTT buses. I think the one you show is the Lemke model LC 3108, or maybe 3103:hmmm: Rare beasts these days it seems.

Thanks for all the valued comments to both you and Nick ( @ntpntpntp )

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:05:49 PM by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1398 on: February 26, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »

And your photo has reminded me that I must re-launch my long-term search for one of the vintage PTT buses. I think the one you show is the Lemke model LC 3108, or maybe 3103:hmmm: Rare beasts these days it seems.

Yes 3108 Mike.
John

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #1399 on: February 27, 2020, 01:23:07 PM »
What a superb looking Kroc.  :thumbsup:  I’ve been wanting to pick up one of these magnificent locos for some time, but funds and SWMBO have to be considered, and I have yet to determine whether to buy a new model or one of the older versions that litter eBay.

New versions are now being listed from a few manufacturers, and so I have plenty of choice and decisions to make to choose the best value for my money from makers such as Minitrix, Jaegerndorfer  and Arnold.

Hi Mike.
Like Nick I have had versions of the 1980's Minitrix and Arnold Kroks for many years.

They are both reasonable runners but I would say that the Minitrix model is marginally quieter and smoother possibly due to the different drive arrangement. I also prefer the Ce 6/8 ll particularly the Brown Historic 14253 but I wanted a DCC Sound Krok so it had to be Minitrix Ce 6/8 lll as I wasn't willing to take a chance with the Jägerndorfer model after the poor reviews that their OBB Krok got. Early reviews appear to justify my concerns as it appears that the SBB Krok is just as bad as the OBB one. It has been reported that it is only half the weight of the Minitrix model and can only haul four coaches on the flat. It appears to be a poor design with only the two outer wheels directly driven from the motor and with only one traction tyre on each pair. The tyres are totally in the wrong position to take advantage of what little weight the loco has. It's a shame because it's a nice looking model and I could then have had my brown 14253.

What a lovely pair John!  :D
I haven't got any of the historical stock yet but I'm sure I will in the future. Always a pleasure to see photos of your magnificent layout!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Offline Dawdawes1964

• Owner of 1940sradio.com, ex train driver
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1400 on: February 27, 2020, 02:20:25 PM »
Having sold my OO scale I decided to head back to model the RhB, now do I go Hom or N 1/150. With the beautiful GE4/4 from MDS with sound it was a no brainer .1/150 it is. Delivery today from Spoorstore.nl . It was sent Monday arrived on a Thursday with free post

How does the GE 4/4 II compare with the Kato version?

I have some of the HAIK vans from MDS and they seem to be a little bit higher than the loco....
I dont have a Kato GE4/4 so can't compare the 2, my MDS 4/411 sits a smidgeon below the mds Van's, remember though the 4/411 is a diddy loco even in real life, the kato 4/4111 is a bit of a beast compared
Dawdawes

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1401 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
I'm a sucker for collecting old N gauge models for my historic collection  :)

This one's a Minitrix E03 dating from 1973 according to the control number slip, which puts it in the middle of the second series of the model  from 1969 - 1975 according to www.spurweite-n.de.   Metal body, buffer beams on the bogies as was prevalent at the time, and two motors - so it pulls like a ...er... train  and draws about 350mA running light :D   

Really good condition, certainly not seen a lot of use. It just needed a light lube to loosen up and off she went.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:49:35 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1402 on: March 02, 2020, 01:04:05 AM »
Early reviews appear to justify my concerns as it appears that the SBB Krok is just as bad as the OBB one. It has been reported that it is only half the weight of the Minitrix model and can only haul four coaches on the flat. It appears to be a poor design with only the two outer wheels directly driven from the motor and with only one traction tyre on each pair. The tyres are totally in the wrong position to take advantage of what little weight the loco has. It's a shame because it's a nice looking model and I could then have had my brown 14253.

And I can't quite understand why Jaegendorfer felt the need to 'triplicate' on a Swiss Croc. I have always preferred the Arnold example
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:05:06 AM by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1403 on: March 02, 2020, 01:18:10 AM »
Having sold my OO scale I decided to head back to model the RhB, now do I go Hom or N 1/150. With the beautiful GE4/4 from MDS with sound it was a no brainer .1/150 it is. Delivery today from Spoorstore.nl . It was sent Monday arrived on a Thursday with free post

How does the GE 4/4 II compare with the Kato version?

I have some of the HAIK vans from MDS and they seem to be a little bit higher than the loco....
I dont have a Kato GE4/4 so can't compare the 2, my MDS 4/411 sits a smidgeon below the mds Van's, remember though the 4/411 is a diddy loco even in real life, the kato 4/4111 is a bit of a beast compared
Hi Dave

This was discussed in the RhB-based threads a while ago. I gave a shout out to the MDS version but others said they would stick to the Kato version on price - and for a few other reasons. However I still believe the MDS is the better model overall. The main plusses of the MDS are the width. I spend an awful lot of time on the RhB and am convinced that the MDS has the better dimensions - especially the more correct 'face' shape (slightly taller and narrower than the Kato) when viewed head on . The Kato looks a bit 'squashed' .

The roof detail is better on MDS.

The discussion was in approx posts 84 - 97 here:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40500.75

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:20:46 AM by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1404 on: March 06, 2020, 09:31:16 AM »
Some new items for Steinheim...

The two tank wagons are by Brawa. DM-Toys seem to be having a stock clearance on these, €19.99 instead of €29.99. From what I have read, the Brawa models are among the best models of (German) 4 wheel tank wagons, and these two will complement my larger tank wagons (also by Brawa). Also joining the fleet are a couple more Epoch IV ferry wagons by Modellbahn Union. By a strange coincidence, a couple of scenic items also found their way into the box, more on these later.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1405 on: March 08, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »

Hi Mike.

Will you be taking a glance in the direction of the new upcoming Arnold models John? :hmmm:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1406 on: March 08, 2020, 06:56:32 PM »
Will you be taking a glance in the direction of the new upcoming Arnold models John? :hmmm:

I don't think so Matt.
I like to collect models of preserved locos that I have seen and as Arnold don't intend to do a DCC Sound version of 14253 I will stick with my old one.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1407 on: March 12, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »
Is this ICE1 from Fleischmann likely to be a good model?

Are there any maintenance concerns over ICE models?  :hmmm:

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #1408 on: March 12, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »

Are there any maintenance concerns over ICE models?  :hmmm:

Will there be the Swiss version available with the two pantographs in each power car?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1409 on: March 12, 2020, 04:19:23 PM »

Fl have had an ICE 1 in the range for ages. Too long for me but I do have an ICE 2 set, and I know it dates from 1998 as a gift for exhibiting with Fleischmann at Ashford International station. Memorable as my lad was very close to coming into the world that weekend :-)

If nothing much has changed, then let's just say it's a standard Fleischmann chassis construction and runs as smoothly and well as any other of their D & E models.

With the NEM bar couplings throughout the set I can belt the complete ICE 2 round my layout's 9" curves with the loco pushing, no problem at all. Not that I encourage it of course, but kids at shows seem to enjoy that  :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal