!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 174148 times)

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1350 on: December 24, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »
This Minitrix RAm TEE set arrived today from ebay - sold as not working "locked up" and I'd offered the seller 35% less than the asking price, suggesting it would probably need new gears.

It dates from around 2001 I think, but it's pretty much unused. I stripped down the bogies and identified the problem as old hardened grease on the worm gear bearings.  Also found one bogie underframe moulding had been assembled the wrong way round on top of the gears and was bent out of shape  ??? 

Once the grease was cleaned off and I'd straightened out the shafts and underframe using hot air from a fan heater, off she went  :D
Quite slow to begin with but picked up as running-in progressed.  I would say it's not a particularly fast model but that's fine by me.

I must admit I've always been put off buying one of these due to the stupid cutaways which go right through the doors (surely Minitrix you could have come up with a better way?), but for the price I paid plus 30 minutes work sorting it out, I'm happy enough to add it to the collection and it will look smart alongside the old Hobbytrain TEE set  :)

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1351 on: December 25, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »
Sounds like it was a good buy Nick but I wonder what made Minitrix do that with the bogies? The coaches of the Hobbytrain TEE aren't that much different in design and although the bodies should be lower they still look a lot better IMO.
I remember a friend, who had waited eagerly for the RAm to be introduced, being so disappointed when it arrived that he sent it back. :(
John

Offline Brandon_5

• Awards
« Reply #1352 on: December 30, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
Christmas time is a good time for modellers!

Firstly, I have added a SNCF TGV Duplex 10 car set from Kato to my collection. I only have a small test track, but it runs beautifully. I have never owned a Kato locomotive, but I am very impressed by the smoothness of the motor.

...and this is the other addition, a SBB Cargo International Vectron. Also and nice runner on the test track. Can't wait to get home and get it on the layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1353 on: December 31, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
This Minitrix RAm TEE set arrived today from ebay - sold as not working "locked up" and I'd offered the seller 35% less than the asking price, suggesting it would probably need new gears.

One of these TEE RAms was beautifully illustrated on the cover of my childhood favourite Ladybird book of trains! I remember there was a good section on the APT as well - must get a copy!

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1354 on: January 01, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
Oooh, I still have this one somewhere. Has a nice picture of the original Shinkansen passing Mt. Fuji inside too.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1355 on: January 08, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
Mizzy Gizzy brought me this for Chrimbles, not realising that it is a SG loco.

The reason for her purchase is obvious though?

I think I will have to have some mixed gauge running to justify its use on Rhaetia, maybe with a short push-pull consist of double deck coaches....

Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #1356 on: January 09, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
The latest addition to my Swiss nostalgia collection is the Piko RBe540 railcar and BDt driving trailer. It is the DCC sound version and unlike my last purchase, the Brawa Dostos, the BDt comes with the function decoder already fitted. The sound quality is very good although the default volume is far too loud for most home layouts and I find the lowest of the four selectable levels more than adequate.
As the set has been specially commissioned by Arwico in Switzerland it is subject to the usual premium price but I think Piko have really excelled with this model which softens the blow a bit. :D The model runs smoothly and is virtually silent (except when the sound is on :-[) and has an incredibly high level of detail especially when compared to the much older Arnold version. In order to allow the RBe540 to traverse the smaller radius curves that many of us have on our layouts Piko have made the skirt below the buffers a separate moveable item. This arrangement is not popular with everyone but most of the time it is hardly noticeable and it does mean Piko have been able to fit brake hoses etc in addition to the standard Rapido coupling without risk of fouling and derailment.
Until Piko release suitable intermediate coaches next year I have teamed the RBe540 and BDt up with two coaches from an old Minitrains NPZ set and despite the lack of close-coupling on the coaches I think it looks quite reasonable.

Hi John,

Just been looking at your photos of this brilliant model and couldn't resist ordering one of these this afternoon. Looking forward to it arriving on the doorstep!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1357 on: January 09, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »
………………………………………….
Hi John,

Just been looking at your photos of this brilliant model and couldn't resist ordering one of these this afternoon. Looking forward to it arriving on the doorstep!

Best regards,

Jeremy

You won't be disappointed Jeremy. :thumbsup:
John

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #1358 on: January 16, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
………………………………………….
Hi John,

Best regards,

Jeremy

You won't be disappointed Jeremy. :thumbsup:

You are right John, the parcel landed yesterday and the model is stunning. Just need to get my layout built now so I can run it!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1359 on: January 25, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
When I first saw this on German ebay last week I thought someone had plonked the wrong loco in a Lima box, but no - you learn something every day!

It seems that for a very short while around 1990 a collaboration between Lima and Hobbytrain even included some sets with the Hobbytrain/Kato BR57.  The wagons have Minibahn branding underneath but are clearly Lima models.  I have a few Minibahn branded swiss coaches but was totally unaware of these sets.

I had to buy it for my collection of course, for around £64 including £10 postage which I think is a bit of a bargain.  It arrived yesterday and to my delight the models are mint unused  :D  No instruction sheet and the plug-in loco numbers are missing but I'll sort something out for the numbers.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1360 on: January 25, 2020, 09:12:02 PM »
That's a nice find Nick. Any idea how Lima decided if they were going to be branded "Minitrain" or "Minibahn"?
John

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1361 on: January 25, 2020, 09:30:36 PM »
That's a nice find Nick. Any idea how Lima decided if they were going to be branded "Minitrain" or "Minibahn"?

I'm not sure, there seems to be been a lot of upheaval around that time.  I found this on 1zu160 (translated):

"
Lima ......... (Italy)
Minibahn (by Hobbytrain Österreich Moser) .........
Lima / Minitrain (by Lemke) .....
Minitrain (by Rivarossi ) ....

So the Lima models finally landed at Rivarossi!

Rivarossi N to Arnold (Arnold in the Rivarossi Group / Models Made in Germany)

So the Lima and Rivarossi models landed at Arnold!

Arnold to Hornby
"

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1362 on: January 26, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »
Thanks Nick. I remember having some Rivarossi branded FS coaches. They were quite nice models if I remember correctly.
John

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1363 on: January 26, 2020, 10:40:05 AM »
About Lima,
ex workers and any managers have caught the factory buildings, model stamps/maquettes and now is called VItrains..only H0 at moment.
Also they have cooperated with Pirata for some H0 models.

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1364 on: January 26, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
About Lima,
ex workers and any managers have caught the factory buildings, model stamps/maquettes and now is called VItrains..only H0 at moment.
Also they have cooperated with Pirata for some H0 models.

Marco

That's interesting, I have heard of VITrains but I didn't know of the Lima origins.   So they have moulds and tools that were not bought by the Hornby group?

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal