!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 163486 times)

Offline Smallwonder

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1305 on: October 16, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
I mentioned a while back that I'd bought one of the Modellbahn Union/DM-Toys laser cut kits, of a dilapidated barn. I've now built

It's nice enough, but it looks a bit too big and "blocky" for its intended location/use. I've measured the door height and it scales out to 2m high, which seems reasonable. However, it looks big alongside the Faller cottage which is, I admit, diminutive but not so as to look wrong with Preiser 1:160 scale figures.

I also placed it alongside my Preiser farmer figure; he could get through the door with a sack on his shoulders with room to spare, echoing my feeling that it's all a bit too large.

I don't think I'm going to use it - or at least, not there - but wondered what the collective wisdom thought...

It does look a bit like a small barn sized shed in the other photos, but if bedded down in the location in the last photo I think it will look good. I have a similar proportion concern with the stables I just assembled from the same em... stable: photo on my layout topic. It's a lovely kit, but I'm worried about how it will look with scale horses near it.

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1306 on: October 16, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
It will look a lot better when it is blended into the terrain. It's a shame not to use such a nice little building in it's intended position. Weathering the wood might also make it stand out less.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:41:54 PM by swisstrains »
John

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #1307 on: October 16, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
Hi Bruce,

All I can say is that I find that N gauge figures are all too small height wise. I've tried to measure things to scale and doors and the like can look wrong. I know some people are small (or normal, don't want to offend  ;)) but I'm 6 foot 2" and one of my mates is 6 foot 4". Everything except for olde pub ceilings (ow  :doh:) seem to accommodate us so I wouldn't panic too much.

Hope helps. Nice work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1308 on: October 17, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »

Thanks, yes I think I'll stick to Switzerland and SBB cargo and passenger plus a TGV and Frecciarossa/Frecciargento (got to have something Italian), a Nightjet and possible an ICE.

Yes, you've started this at just the right time as Arnold are just about to release the ETR610. In real life, it is almost possible to see all the trains you mention in one place (Basel or Olten for example). Already between Lenzburg and Zurich you can see ICE and TGV within a couple of minutes  in between home grown Swiss stock. Not sure what you mean by having a Nightjet as that stock varies depending on route 
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1309 on: October 17, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »

Thanks, yes I think I'll stick to Switzerland and SBB cargo and passenger plus a TGV and Frecciarossa/Frecciargento (got to have something Italian), a Nightjet and possible an ICE.

Yes, you've started this at just the right time as Arnold are just about to release the ETR610. In real life, it is almost possible to see all the trains you mention in one place (Basel or Olten for example). Already between Lenzburg and Zurich you can see ICE and TGV within a couple of minutes  in between home grown Swiss stock. Not sure what you mean by having a Nightjet as that stock varies depending on route

Hi Luciano,
Also you can see TGV Reseau ( Paris-Milan),  ETR610 SBB Cisalpino and ETR 600 Frecciargento in the same  place ( Milano).
Ciao.

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #1310 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »
Currently on offer at MBKramm

https://www.modellbahn-kramm.com/E/artikel2.cfm?nav=0&fid=073&artnr=64507
…………….…………………...But unfortunately, like many other dealers, they don't appear to have the extra 1st and 2nd Class coaches needed to make up the full train.

These are in the latest MBK NEWSLETTER

Any good? @swisstrains

They may be for preorder, but I can’t get this phone to translate !
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:18:36 AM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1311 on: October 19, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
Yes I'm sure that they will be welcomed by those wishing to add to the basic set. They can be preordered for delivery in second quarter of 2020. When deciding how many extra cars to make, Brawa obviously miscalculated the number of modellers who would want the full 5-car train.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:30:59 AM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Smallwonder

• Awards
« Reply #1312 on: October 20, 2019, 11:04:09 PM »
Bought a year or two ago, but first time out of their boxes.

Prototype formation as found on RailFanEurope website.

Lights in the railcar are very bright  when running.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1313 on: October 25, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
Rather pleased with these arrived from German ebay today :D I have quite a few of these s-bahn coaches in various liveries, but this set of three caught my eye due to the "Jaegermeister" advertising which I'd never seen before. Mint unused, I think must date from the 80s as the driving trailer has the old style bogie with part of the skirt attached. No KK mechanisms (and of course decades before NEM pockets)

I can find very little info about them, only a couple of photos on the 'net, and even on old German forum posts there was uncertainty about the set's catalogue number and date. There was one post linking to a Vectis auction listing from 1012 which showed them as a boxed set complete with a bottle of the stuff   :beers:

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1314 on: October 27, 2019, 06:29:12 PM »
Well, I wanted to cut down on purchases as Jägerndorfer’s 4010s are on the horizon (the red/grey version has already been released) but again :-[ I couldn’t let this ebay auction end without bidding … :no:  So, probably my last addition till the end of the year! :-\

So, what could be more exciting than a locomotive with a condensing tender? – A turbine locomotive with a condensing tender … :)

This is the Maffei-Ljungström steam turbine T18 1002, built in 1926 and used with moderate success until it catched an allied bomb in 1943.

The Maffei turbine can’t deny a visual affinity to the Bavarian S3/6 pacific, another Maffei construction, but looks like it had been involved in some front-end crash which had pushed its boiler backwards into the cab. :o
It’s not really ugly but with quite strange proportions. If you want to see something really ugly then take a look at what Krupp came up with two years before – the T18 1001:
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/germturb/germturb.htm

The model is from Marks Metallmodellclassic’s. They mostly made automobile models but also a few motorized models: a VOMAG rail lorry, the Bavarian Pt 2/3 (BR 70, a few years before Fleischmann), and finally the T18 in 2005. (There is another Marks company, Marks Klein-Kunst, which also produced N-scale locomotives like the V20 and E71. These two companies were founded by brothers – MMC by Roland and MKK by Karlheinz Marks.)

The model I bought is quite special. Marks only produced the black-red 1935 version with smoke deflectors. My model is in the early Reichsbahn livery of olive green and brown-red, the former Prussian locomotive colours which were the first DRG standard paint scheme until ca. 1930.

My model was a sample shown at the Nuremberg toy fair in 2003 or ’04 but Marks did not receive enough pre-orders for the green version, so only the black one was produced in small quantities.
There was a black one on ebay a few weeks before but that went too high for my taste. Initially, I though that the only difference to the green version were the smoke deflectors but there are more differences: the larger exhaust, the turbine gearbox (?) on the front left is enclosed in a larger case on the 1935 version, and the “rear spoiler” (wind deflector?) on the tender.

(from ebay auction)

The only problem with my sample is that it is just a static model (which certainly helped with the price).

The seller wrote that it has no motor but I am not so sure. :-\ The wheels don’t move, so there must be something more in there than just the gears. I guess there is a motor, and the worm blocks the motion. Also, there is something in the tender. On the black version there is another motor to drive the two ventilators, and I guess there is also a motor in my loco. But at the moment I don’t have the courage to open the locomotive or tender, and I will also not try to break off straighten the crooked poles at the front just yet.

So, my T18 is like a Del Prado model, just for a little bit more dosh. ;)
But I wouldn’t use this anyway, it’s just a vitrine queen. Still, somehow I would like to have a working model … :hmmm:
Peter

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1315 on: October 27, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »
@Hiawatha   Ugly but fascinating all the same.  I'd definitely be going in to find out the situation with the drivetrain.

I have heard of MMC, but I also remember MKK: I was wanted to get one of their little powered cranes but missed out.  Sadly ebay searches for Marks Klein Kunst just comes up with totally unrelated stuff these days.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:41:49 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1316 on: November 08, 2019, 05:01:20 PM »

I can find very little info about them, only a couple of photos on the 'net, and even on old German forum posts there was uncertainty about the set's catalogue number and date. There was one post linking to a Vectis auction listing from 1012 which showed them as a boxed set complete with a bottle of the stuff   :beers:

Fab purchase Nick - I love the Jäger bottle in the photo of the set  :smiley-laughing:

Those bold DB liveries were all the rage in the 1990s era when I first became aware of German Railways. :thumbsup:

Offline Littorio

• Awards
« Reply #1317 on: November 16, 2019, 01:23:23 PM »
Some new rolling stock arrived by way of a set from MiniTrix which I found on ‘special’

https://flic.kr/p/2hLtkY4
https://flic.kr/p/2hLshrA
Just starting out

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1318 on: November 16, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »
@Littorio    Love the Cisalpino set!       

Years ago I started working on creating a full Cisalpino ETR 470 unit using the DelPrado driving ends and a stretched Tomix powered chassis, really must get back to working on it before Arnold or someone finally does the job for me!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1319 on: November 16, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »
Some new rolling stock arrived by way of a set from MiniTrix which I found on ‘special’

https://flic.kr/p/2hLtkY4
https://flic.kr/p/2hLshrA

Very cool set, good work! :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here