!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 160025 times)

Offline RicardoFig

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1260 on: September 08, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
You can't really run them with anything else, though they do look good together in a rake.

I just finished reading the post, and saw this in the next tab while looking for photos of them:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/a/img6/6174/i9dq.jpg

They even look good with a 103.   :laugh: :laugh:

Now on topic, yes, they look high compared with all my other passenger stock. For more than one time I wondered if I should sell them, but they keep staying, as i really like the looks.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:11:44 PM by RicardoFig »

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1261 on: September 15, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
A new brand for me: Liliput. Well, actually, I already had one Liliput locomotive and some coaches before but those were H0, so they don’t count. That was a streamlined BR 05 but as soon as Arnold made one in N we got rid of this oversized junk and got the N version instead. :)
Liliput was an Austrian brand and made high-quality H0 models but somehow the large scale didn’t feel right for me – it was like playing with a Lego Duplo train. :D
Liliput was later acquired by Bachmann and is now part of Bachmann Europe and the continental sister brand of Graham Farish. Under Bachmann, Liliput has also begun to offer N-scale models.

This is Liliput L162521 – E10 001, the first of the “standardized” DB electrics (Einheits-Elloks, E10, E40, E41, E50), built in 1952 and retired in 1975.

Liliput made four versions: L162520 E10 001 as built with two headlights (epoch III, 1952–58), L162521 with third headlight on top (ep. IIIb, 1958–68), L162522 as 110 001-5 (ep. IV, 1968–75), and L162523, a weathered L162521.

This is one of the five E100 prototypes built in 1952 and ’53 to test different electric components and drive technology, and the best performing parts then combined into the series production, the E101 which was built from 1956 to 1969.

Four of the five prototypes were different (E10 004 and 005 were identical), and unfortunately Liliput chose to model the one most similar to the later production models. This was the only E100 with two front windows, the other four had three which linked them more to the older E18 and E19 classes.
From usual viewing distance™, the Liliput model doesn’t look that much different to a bog-standard E10, and with a high price for a BoBo electric (about €170) it comes as no surprise that the models sold poorly and are now sold off cheaply to clear the shelves. I found the model interesting but not €170-interesting. :no:
I have now paid €95 :claphappy: for a new model from a shop, and sometimes as auctions they go for less than €90 on ebay, also new from shops.

If I were producing a prototype E10 I would have chosen the E10 004/005 as those would give four possible numbers (as E10 and 110), the E10 005 has been preserved, and E10 003 would also be possible with different roof detail and side vents. E10 001 was the first of the five to be retired and was scrapped.
Although I understand that Liliput has made the E10 001 in H0 (because Rivarossi had the E10 004/005 before), so development costs for the N version have been lower. However, such slow sales mean that Liliput may pull out of N scale completely in the future. :(

Here in comparison to the standard E10s, the “Kasten-” (“box”) (E10 101–287) and more aerodynamic ”Bügelfalten-” (“pants crease”) E10 used for the standard E10 from number 288 and for the faster Rheingold and Rheinpfeil locos E1012.
(I don’t have any standard E10s, so the comparison is with the blue/beige  E1012s but otherwise the bodies are the same. E10 1239: Fleischmann 733602; E10 1310: Hobbytrain H2807)

The E10 001 has two different sides: The left side shows eight vents, the right side four vents and four windows. The Kasten-E10s have six vents and one window in the center, and the Bügelfalten seven vents behind a simulated continuous grille. The layout is the same on both sides on the series locomotives.

I think the model is quite nice although the characteristic grim face the protoype showed – because of the protruding roof over the windscreens – is not really there. Probably the overhang is too small in N scale.

The Liliput pantographs are very fine. Nice to look at but the “knees” are easily disjointed and a pain to get back together. :worried:

And, yes, the loco is painted the same blue on both sides … :-[

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:37:55 PM by Hiawatha, Reason: Problem with counting 3+2+3 vents ... »
Peter

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1262 on: September 16, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
Picked up a nice Fleischmann BR 38 at TINGS from Anoraks Anonymous. It's one of the more recent issues (2005-2010, I believe), with darkened valve gear and wheel rims, and NEM couplings. Steinheim has a BR 38 with the tub tender, but I'd been looking out for one of these with the standard tender.

Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1263 on: September 20, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »
Picked up these two curiosities cheaply on ebay: quite clearly based on Arnold loco bodyshells (which is what caught my eye and piqued my interest) but with plastic chassis and wheels. The photo on the rear of the box shows genuine Arnold models.
Sadly neither came with the accompanying wagon.
Made in Hong Kong for KMart so for the American market, marked (c) 1977. Were they a genuine collaboration with Arnold or a rip-off I wonder?

Found this link to a full set which was for sale at some point in the past. The diesel loco looks to be based on the old Lima Plymouth model.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1977-champ-road-die-cast-1796068187?fbclid=IwAR0BZODDlAVK9A8s_dY8I4MASDQZSPxdkkFqYOJB1s4OMrdB-felQNxNsK4

It's only when you stand one next to a genuine Arnold does it become clear that the bodyshell is a little less detailed here-and-there.  Were they produced from old tooling, (or dare I say it cloned  :-X ? Those who also run G scale stuff may be familiar with the fuss about the Newqida cheap RC loco and wagons that appeared a few years ago looking very similar to LGB products)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:00:31 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #1264 on: September 20, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
I would wager that they are cloned copies (moulds taken from the genuine article and castings taken therefrom) - especially only available in the USA and not Europe, where Arnold could have got a court order preventing their sale there.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1265 on: September 20, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
Remembered I had an Arnold bodyshell in my bits box, it's been kicking around since the late 70s when I used the chassis for a Peco/Wills Peckett saddle tank kit. I never dispose of anything!

So, comparing the two from above shows slight the differences (and the rough moulding line on the Kmart loco)

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1266 on: September 22, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »

One of my other interests is collecting Swiss transport-themed postage stamps and my latest loco links in with this to some extent.
It is a Fleischmann 465 (Sorry Nick ;D) in a special livery that celebrates the Stockhorn Cableway’s 50th anniversary. This took place last year and a special stamp was also issued to mark the event.

Personally I am pleased with the way Fleischmann have captured the livery although there has been a certain amount of debate on the Swiss forums where some think the blue on the cab fronts is too dark. Looking at photos of the real thing isn’t conclusive as it appears to be one of those colours that change greatly in different lighting conditions. Like most modern Fleischmann locos is runs quietly (except when in sound mode ::)) and smoothly and I am pleased to say that this example had not been overfilled with grease like some of my other recent Fleischmann locos. A slight but expected disappointment was the use of the same sound files as the SBB 460. The SBB station announcements are totally wrong for the 465 and should be more applicable to BLS routes but I expected Fleischmann would cheat and I’m not too concerned as they are a bit gimmicky and I rarely play them anyway.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:10:49 PM by swisstrains »
John

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1267 on: September 25, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
It is amazing how good deals show up just after making a decision to do not buy any more rolling stock (unless it is a DB 627 or a 795 railbus !!  :D ).

I am not an SBB collector, and this has really no place in my layout, but here it is:

PSX_20190925_001013

Re 4/4 from Fleischmann 7342 and three double decker from Zurich S-Bahn, i guess ?

PSX_20190925_001035

The locomotive (analog) and the coaches are just like new still with decals to apply and price tag in Escudos, so this was originaly purchased before 1999.

Photo side by side with my other SBB locomotive, from Minitrix:

PSX_20190925_001111

Never sold it because it was my very first locomotive, and now it has got a sister in better shape.

The whole set went home from under 60 euros, so it was impossible to leave it on the store. Now i got to see if i can convert the locomotive to DCC operation, and what to do with the coaches, as they operated only inside Switzerland i guess.   :hmmm:

Also, two more Inter Cargo Express wagons had arrived from DM-Toys. I got to find a way to erase the DB logo to allocate them to the new private railroad operating in the branch line.  :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1268 on: September 27, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »

One of my other interests is collecting Swiss transport-themed postage stamps and my latest loco links in with this to some extent.
It is a Fleischmann 465 (Sorry Nick ;D) in a special livery that celebrates the Stockhorn Cableway’s 50th anniversary. This took place last year and a special stamp was also issued to mark the event.

Personally I am pleased with the way Fleischmann have captured the livery although there has been a certain amount of debate on the Swiss forums where some think the blue on the cab fronts is too dark. Looking at photos of the real thing isn’t conclusive as it appears to be one of those colours that change greatly in different lighting conditions. Like most modern Fleischmann locos is runs quietly (except when in sound mode ::)) and smoothly and I am pleased to say that this example had not been overfilled with grease like some of my other recent Fleischmann locos. A slight but expected disappointment was the use of the same sound files as the SBB 460. The SBB station announcements are totally wrong for the 465 and should be more applicable to BLS routes but I expected Fleischmann would cheat and I’m not too concerned as they are a bit gimmicky and I rarely play them anyway.

That's a good looking loco John, a great addition to your BLS fleet. Not totally surprised that Fleischmann didn't go the extra mile to do some authentic Lötschberg-type station announcements! :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1269 on: September 27, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »
It is amazing how good deals show up just after making a decision to do not buy any more rolling stock (unless it is a DB 627 or a 795 railbus !!  :D ).

A good purchase, I always liked the Zürich S-Bahn. I know your layout is not Switzerland but just run it anyway I would say!

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1270 on: September 30, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
Wasn't looking for this, just happened upon it on eBay and couldn't resist it. :drool: Kato K23217 'Le Train Bleu'.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1271 on: September 30, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
Very nice. :thumbsup:

Looks very much like the carriages I saw back in 2006 when they stopped for over 30 minutes at the St Anton am Arlberg station in Austria on their way to Vienna.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1272 on: September 30, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »
Some 13 months after I ordered it, the Arnold HN4265 set has finally been released. It consists of four coaches; a first class Avmz111 (the new element here being the rounded roof ends as opposed to the straight ended roof on previous models), a Wrm132 restaurant car, a second class Bm235 and a second class Bpmz. The close couplings on Arnold coaches really do get the vehicles close together, especially on the straight, but they're not quite so keen on Peco R2 curves.

One oddity is the different height of the various vehicles. Reading the German 1zu160 forum, the view seems to be that the Bpmz coaches sit too high; certainly the differential against the UIC-X coaches is very noticeable. The restaurant car and the Bpmz are of similar height, so rather than lower the Bpmz, I've actually inserted a plasticard washer on the UIC-X Bm235 coach to raise it slightly. There's a tutorial on lowering the Bpmz over on 1zu160 but it seems to involve some serious carving, which I really don't intend to do on a brand new coach!

The coaches carry InterCity branding for IC 108 Rheinpfeil. The printing is very fine - and I may yet mix & match with my IC 79 Sudwind coaches...

Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1273 on: October 02, 2019, 09:35:17 PM »
Some 13 months after I ordered it, the Arnold HN4265 set has finally been released. It consists of four coaches; a first class Avmz111 (the new element here being the rounded roof ends as opposed to the straight ended roof on previous models), a Wrm132 restaurant car, a second class Bm235 and a second class Bpmz. The close couplings on Arnold coaches really do get the vehicles close together, especially on the straight, but they're not quite so keen on Peco R2 curves.

One oddity is the different height of the various vehicles. Reading the German 1zu160 forum, the view seems to be that the Bpmz coaches sit too high; certainly the differential against the UIC-X coaches is very noticeable. The restaurant car and the Bpmz are of similar height, so rather than lower the Bpmz, I've actually inserted a plasticard washer on the UIC-X Bm235 coach to raise it slightly. There's a tutorial on lowering the Bpmz over on 1zu160 but it seems to involve some serious carving, which I really don't intend to do on a brand new coach!

The coaches carry InterCity branding for IC 108 Rheinpfeil. The printing is very fine - and I may yet mix & match with my IC 79 Sudwind coaches...

Gosh this is so long overdue - I tired of waiting and just went for a Minitrix set which has been around a few years. Originally was going to go for this Arnold one!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1274 on: October 02, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
They're very nice!   Trouble is I already have a reasonable bunch of older models in those liveries and they work well enough when they come out for a run, so can't really justify buying any more.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here