!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 170070 times)

Offline GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #1080 on: January 26, 2019, 10:32:00 AM »
Nice haul there, Railsquid. The latest additions to Steinheim are, finally, German and not BR outline. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the Modellbahn Union/DM-Toys Tcefs ferry wagons to be re-issued after they were withdrawn from sale. In the meantime, they've issued a load of other very desirable, nay even essential, wagons that have been sitting patiently on my "clipboard" (aka wishlist). Anyway, the Tcefs have been released, but unlike Sqiddy's bargain haul these were all full retail. More detailed reviews (if anyone is interested) will follow, but to whet your appetite...

Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: January 26, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
The BR220 is this one, dead as a dodo but for the equivalent of about 7 quid it's worth it even just as a static loco. I am looking forward to poking at the innards to see what ails it, wouldn't surprise me if there's a missing/dislodged DCC blanking plate or possibly even a dislodged/burnt out DCC chip.

Bingo! Here we have a classic case of what I presume is a DCC chip not responding to DC (whether by design or because it's burnt out):

Minitrix BR220 "repair" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Motor worked when applying voltage to the terminals, so swap in a blanking plate and off she goes, beautifully smooth and quiet. Interestingly the motor appears to be made in Switzerland.

The missing axle gear doesn't appear to be a problem, I presume I can rustle up a spare somehow. One light pair is also not working, which I can live with pending time to consider whether that's fixable.

Bargain of the year  :beers:

I don't suppose anyone can identify the presumed DCC chip? It doesn't have an name/product number anywhere. Also, where can I get spare DCC blanking plates?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #1082 on: January 26, 2019, 12:50:28 PM »
Visual impressions are good; the level of detail is terrific. However, there are some issues, I'm disappointed to report. Not sure whether this is the right place for an in depth review or whether it should be somewhere else - perhaps under wagons or by manufacturer, although Modellbahn Union doesn't as yet have a sub board. Thoughts?

The long awaited Tcefs ferry wagon does not run well at all, it wobbles and the axles tend to jam in the chassis. After relocating the axle ends, it sometimes runs as it should. I've never understood the desire to fit opening doors on box vans, and the negative consequences of so doing are abundantly evident with this model. It has two doors on each side, which are inevitably over scale, and they just about close in the middle, but they don't necessarily stay shut. The doors on the other side obviously do the same. Result: daylight through the van. The other vans do not have opening doors and are so much the better for it.

The step board detail is very delicate... and on the Epoch III van, wonky.

Oh, and the Epoch IV goods van has been supplied with one standard coupling and one Fleischmann profi coupling (which isn't something I use)...
Bruce

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #1083 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:51 PM »
I don't suppose anyone can identify the presumed DCC chip? It doesn't have an name/product number anywhere. Also, where can I get spare DCC blanking plates?

I'd be interested in the answer too, as I have a (new) Minitrix V90 which is factory chipped, and runs ok on analogue, but which I think I'd like to run unchipped...
Bruce

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1084 on: January 26, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »

Minitrix BR220 "repair" by Rail Squid, on Flickr

That doesn't look like a decoder to me, looks more like just a blanking plate. No obvious microchip, just some SMD components.

You need an NEM 651 blanking plug/plate, should be able to track one down on ebay or a DCC shop

For example:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/182324/Graham_Farish_379_428_6PIN_decoder_blanking_plug_x_5_Straight_/StockDetail.aspx

... also found those Farish 379-428 plates on ebay and Peters Spares.  I've seen smaller more compact designs in the past, but I might get a pack for my spares box
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:32:19 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #1085 on: January 26, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
That doesn't look like a decoder to me, looks more like just a blanking plate. No obvious microchip, just some SMD components.

You could well be right, I wouldn't know a DCC chip if it hit me in the face. It has some more components on the underside, but they too look like SMD components and very small resistors, nothing obviously chip-like.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #1086 on: January 27, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »

You could well be right, I wouldn't know a DCC chip if it hit me in the face. It has some more components on the underside, but they too look like SMD components and very small resistors, nothing obviously chip-like.

Per advice on another forum it is indeed a "blanking plate with DC gubbins", turns out it was just loose.  Pushing own the copper contact strips on the 6-pin DCC socket has helped with that, and it turns out this "blanking plate with DC gubbins" is needed for the directional lighting to function properly (the only blanking plates I have any familiarity with are the ones which come with Dapol locomotives, which evidently just route power between pins and nothing else).

Possibly useful link: https://www.1zu160.net/digital/einbaubsp/mtx-v200.php

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1087 on: January 27, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »
[
Per advice on another forum it is indeed a "blanking plate with DC gubbins", turns out it was just loose.  Pushing own the copper contact strips on the 6-pin DCC socket has helped with that
... or apply a slight bend to the pins on the blanking plate.  Makes the connection a bit more secure too.

the only blanking plates I have any familiarity with are the ones which come with Dapol locomotives, which evidently just route power between pins and nothing else [not directional lighting]).
That surprises me, I thought it was part of the NEM 651 socket spec that two pins define front and rear lighting so you'd normally expect a couple of diodes to make them directional.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #1088 on: January 27, 2019, 03:28:00 PM »
[
Per advice on another forum it is indeed a "blanking plate with DC gubbins", turns out it was just loose.  Pushing own the copper contact strips on the 6-pin DCC socket has helped with that
... or apply a slight bend to the pins on the blanking plate.  Makes the connection a bit more secure too.

Tried that, the pins were still very loose and it would still dislodge enough to break connections. The linked article actually recommends soldering a decoder, I get the impression this is a known issue with this model...

Die einfachste Variante des Umbaus ist das Entfernen der Analogplatine und das Einsetzen eines Steckdecoders. Ich habe dies einmal probiert, leider wackelte der Decoder, so dass zumindest ein Einlöten empfehlenswert wäre.

the only blanking plates I have any familiarity with are the ones which come with Dapol locomotives, which evidently just route power between pins and nothing else [not directional lighting]).
That surprises me, I thought it was part of the NEM 651 socket spec that two pins define front and rear lighting so you'd normally expect a couple of diodes to make them directional.

I don't ever recall seeing any kind of parts attached to the Dapol blanking plates I've ever handled, which is 3 or 4 at most (all from Class 86s come to think of it), from which I've inferred a blanking plate is literally blank apart from the connecting bits, but you learn something new every day...

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1089 on: January 27, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »

I thought it was part of the NEM 651 socket spec that two pins define front and rear lighting so you'd normally expect a couple of diodes to make them directional.

I don't ever recall seeing any kind of parts attached to the Dapol blanking plates I've ever handled, which is 3 or 4 at most (all from Class 86s come to think of it), from which I've inferred a blanking plate is literally blank apart from the connecting bits
Actually I think you're correct. The Bachmann blanking plates seems to be the same, just links. Any diodes must be on the main board.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: January 28, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
Very sorry to read about the problems with the Tcefs ferry van, Bruce as I was hoping to buy one.

Offline GScaleBruce

• Awards
« Reply #1091 on: January 28, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »
Very sorry to read about the problems with the Tcefs ferry van, Bruce as I was hoping to buy one.

Yes, regrettably it's had to be returned. I'd been so looking forward to it, as well. Never mind, I'm sure the replacement will be just fine.
Bruce

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1092 on: January 31, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
Interesting, all the SBB double deckers will be modernised over the next few years.

Here's some example pics

https://news.sbb.ch/artikel/86661/fernverkehr-die-ersten-ic2000-fahrzeuge-sind-komplett-modernisiert

If you watch the video you can also see how the installation crew have painted their office to match!  :D

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:49:47 PM by Globi »

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: January 31, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
I wonder how long it will be before Hobbytrain refurbish their Dostos?
John

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:38 PM »
Well that might just put a time stop on my layout.  ;) I was wondering where to draw the line, and with a very recent acquisition of a second Driving Trailer and some more coaches in the current livery, 2018/19 seems as good a date as any.

Quote from the article that details the mods to the 341 coaches:
“The modernization of a car takes 8 weeks, every third working day a vehicle is completed. At the Olten plant, work is being carried out on 14 cars at the same time. ..... In total, over 32,000 new seats are being upholstered, 40 kilometers of carpet laid and over 120 tons of paint applied.”

Usual Swiss efficiency. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here