!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 618365 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6525 on: December 21, 2019, 06:47:52 AM »
At the top of a forum page, you will see a link to 'Gallery'.  I you click it and then click 'My Gallery' and then 'My Gallery' again you will get to your gallery page.  Bookmark this for quick access again in future.  At the bottom of your gallery page you will see another link 'Bulk Add Pictures'.  If you click that, a window opens up where you can drop one or more files you want to upload.  As each file is uploaded, its icon is ticked.  You can then click 'Return to Gallery' and the new pictures will appear at the top.  To post a picture, click it and then use the code at the bottom of the page to paste into your reply.

I hope I'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6526 on: December 21, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
Many thanks to all for your tips on how to post photos. whilst Photobucket was down for a few says. However, having paid a subscription to Photobucket because all my earlier photos. were hosted on Photobucket, I've persevered with it. I'm glad to see that it's now working, again. I only have a few more photos. of the 28xx hauled goods train to post, for now. However, I will be posting more, in January, including of 'through' trains matching Martin's plus all the Christmas and New Year specials. Unfortunately, the 'Dean Goods' No. 2538 (89A) and "City of Truro" are still in Swindon Works [alias at Gideon], so won't be featured. However, they will certainly be worth waiting for. Next year, will see more Bulleid 'Light Pacifics', preserved steam locos., plus some "Westerns", too! More diesel shunters are also planned, including a BR Black pair.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6527 on: December 21, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »
More photos. of 28xx № 3862 (formerly of Plymouth Laira, 83D, December 1953 to June 1962) and preserved by the GWS (Penmayne). on its special goods to Penmayne via Wadebridge and Bodmin Road, seen passing through Cant Cove, mid-December 1963.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6528 on: December 21, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »
Unusually, most of the 2-8-0's train was formed of goods vehicles in less than pristine condition being mostly formed of goods stock from the Eastern Region. First, a rake of LNER design Fruit Vans followed by BR Standard plywood Fruit Vans conveying a variety of fresh produce from the farms of Eastern England and Scotland.

My sincere thanks to the NGF member who sent me a broken 'donor' hopper wagon which provided a replacement coupling for one of the damaged vans.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6529 on: December 21, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »
Many thanks, Chris, for these excellent photographs.

It's lovely to see trains in action on Cant Cove.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6530 on: December 21, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »
Many thanks, Chris, for these excellent photographs.

It's lovely to see trains in action on Cant Cove.

Best wishes.

John

Many thanks, John. There will be many more in January. Photobucket is still very slow, hence I'm only posting pairs of photos., today.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6531 on: December 21, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »
Behind the rakes of vans were two similarly grimy BR 13T Steel High-sided open loaded wagons, the first in Early BR Bauxite, the second in Late BR Bauxite livery, conveying wood and crates respectively.

They were followed by an ex-works trio of a BR 13T Steel High-sided open loaded wagon returning empty from Trepol Bay, a BR Grey 'Ferry' 'Tube' open wagon returning from the Continent, forwarded via Bodmin Road, and a loaded BR Grey Coke wagon.

A similarly grimy BR Standard brake van brought up the rear.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:07:21 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6532 on: December 21, 2019, 11:37:08 AM »
In preparation for the grand racing pigeon contest, a variety of special trains have been run in the run-up to Christmas and New Year period, often running in the path of scheduled local passenger services. One formed of two LMR coaches (BR Lined Maroon BR Standard CK M16005 and BR Crimson & Cream BR Standard BCK M21029) plus a BR Lined Maroon ex-LNER Gresley design BGP bogie Pigeon Van E 70171 E arrived from Bradford at Bodmin Road where a spare BR WR Chocolate & Cream BR Standard CK W15110 from one of the local special rakes was added for the use of local passengers between Bodmin Road and Penmayne and return. Here we see the special rake at Cant Cove on its return journey after a successful release of the pigeons at the Penmayne terminus.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:06:15 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6533 on: December 21, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
I'm glad that Photobucket is working, again, and I'm able to post a few new photos. More, next month. Now, back to the current story . . .

“Thanks to a Polish State Railways ferry van, travelling each month to London, via the Harwich train ferry,” Jeremy explained tucking into the hearty bigos meat and cabbage hunter's stew, “the restaurant stocks a range of three different Polish beers, including my favourite, the refreshing and nicely hoppy ‘Lech’, as well as nine different vodkas, including the wonderful ‘Zubrowka’ bison-grass vodka, which it is a house rule that each adult guest must drain at least one shot glass of, in one.

“I see that the wine list is very limited,” sniffed Monique, picking disconsolately at her stew.

“Oh, really, Monique, Cheri, you’re not in France, nor in London but the Poland of old,” responded Jenny, with a sympathetic smile.

“Given that, apart from Enka Lou-Lou, of course, we are starting with beer and vodka and going on to dumplings and pancakes, I don't think we should even think of ordering any wine!” added Jeremy. “Enka Lou-Lou, as agreed,” he smiled across the table at the acclaimed young musician, “you will be served pure fruit and vegetable juices and fresh food only.”

“Thank you, Giles. Always the gentleman,” she beamed. He rose and bowed.

“Humph,” interrupted Monique. “I noticed that there is nothing on this menu remotely resembling a light starter ...”

“You must remember that you're in a Polish restaurant, Monique. The plate of salted herring fillets is the size of most main courses elsewhere – three huge fillets, a swamp of creamed onion and cucumber studded with sliced apple, and two slices of rye bread, complete with a pat of best English butter,” continued Jeremy with his most infectious grin.

“The only question is will we finish it before it finishes us?” laughed Eli.

“There is little, I’m afraid, that is dainty about the smoked salmon and blinis either,” stated Sophia. “Three small but hefty pancakes which sit like Exmoor steppingstones, topped with raggedy strips of slightly whiffy smoked salmon next to a puddle of sour cream,” she laughed. “But I love them!”

“Alcohol plays an important role in a Polish meal, not so much creating an appetite as deluding you into thinking you have any appetite left,” continued Jeremy with a broad grin. “It is particularly necessary when facing the Polish Platter, which is generous in quantity, if, perhaps, slightly less so in quality. The meat in the hunter’s stew is always very well cooked, here, the potato pancakes a few shades darker than they perhaps need be, while to a sophisticated Parisian palate, like yours, Monique,” he smiled, “the minced pork, mushrooms and cabbage filling of the fairly thick, solid pirogi might be considered to lack flavour. The cabbage roll is, I think you’ll find, the best, filled with a light blend of pork and veal.”

“In Ruthenian, we call them pierogi. A better bet, Monique, might have been the zrazy, a light, flavoursome meatloaf, a similar pork and veal blend, in fact, covered with a thick mushroom sauce and served with a pile of deliciously light, perfect, white rice,” commented Sophia. “Spoonfuls of nutty, grainy kasha, buckwheat mixed with the rice would prove irresistible,” she added wistfully. “But, alas, this seems not to be available, this evening.”

“But, on the bright side, there is always dessert to look forward to! And,” Jeremy grinned, “it's … another pancake! This time it's a sugar-dusted flat crepe rolled around cream cheese and raisins, which is rich and filling, perfect for soaking up those vodkas!”

“We call pancakes Nalesniki in Ruthenian. Yum!” laughed Sophia.

As the evening progressed and the beer and vodka flowed, they all, even Monique, had to admit that the “Daquise" was quite charming. It had the noise, the camaraderie and the instant feeling of belonging, if only for a few hours, to a rather large, bossy family. Richard's team soon joined Jeremy and his friends’ in his love for the Polish beer and the Polish vodka, the surprisingly low prices, the kasha which, belatedly appeared, at Sophia’s request, to help absorb the alcohol, the very obvious sense of history and continuity with a fast-receding past, and the no-nonsense-but-with-a-heart-of-gold waitresses.

“Eat, young lady, you’re all skin and bones,” instructed their table's highly efficient waitress to Monique. “And then you’ll have dessert.”

“One day, she'll make some lucky fellow, a fine mother-in-law,” laughed Jeremy whose alcohol consumption was being very strictly monitored by their waitress at Sylvia's earnest request.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:52:44 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6534 on: December 21, 2019, 08:44:22 PM »
They were just finishing their Nalesniki, as Sophia, called them, when two stylishly dressed strangers entered the restaurant, a man and a woman. The woman was carrying a large bunch of red roses and the man what looked like one of the brand-new Polaroid instant cameras. They approached the long table of diners and bowed.

“A Harry Wheatcroft red rose for the ladies and instant photos. to remember this beautiful evening, gentlemen and ladies. Who will be first lady?” asked the squat well-built man in almost accent-less English. He had a prominent nose, thick black eyebrows above deeply set pale blue eyes, a jutting broad chin and prominent cheekbones.

His younger, taller, broad-hipped and large-chested dark-haired companion had large, almond-shaped, light-coloured eyes in a round face, high cheekbones, fair skin and plump, sensual lips which were drawn back in a shy smile as she held out a rose to Monique.

No-one present could quite remember what happened next.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6535 on: December 21, 2019, 08:47:53 PM »
Oooh ... intriguing.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6536 on: December 21, 2019, 11:04:55 PM »
 :hellosign:
Gosh Chris what a way to end the chapter
   Also many thanks for the latest photos
          regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6537 on: December 22, 2019, 01:32:44 AM »
Forgive me Chris, but your layout title suggests your model will include the terminus of your line. Is this a plan you have ie: is there to be another module at some point, or am I completely mad?  :confused1:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6538 on: December 22, 2019, 06:36:16 AM »
No-one present could quite remember what happened next.
Oh dear! This sounds as though it might end with a bang.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6539 on: December 23, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »
Forgive me Chris, but your layout title suggests your model will include the terminus of your line. Is this a plan you have ie: is there to be another module at some point, or am I completely mad?  :confused1:

No problem, Chris. A very sensible question. Planning began with a module depicting Penmayne (very detailed plans exist) but, currently, the free space available suits Cant Cove which is also rather simpler track and 'elektrickery' wise. When retirement and a final move beckon, the plan is to construct Penmayne then with a short joining section depicting the foreshortened line between the two. If space allowed (very doubtful) a module depicting a foreshortened Wadebridge is a possibility but, more likely a fiddleyard, instead. It depends on whether just an L-shaped space will be made available or an E-shaped, without the central bar, instead. Much depends, on course, on my physical capacity by that time. Rolling stock, however, will not be a problem! 8-)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal