!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 533415 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6390 on: November 04, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »
I’ll pick one up next time I’m over in Camborne Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6391 on: November 04, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
I’ll pick one up next time I’m over in Camborne Chris.

Great. Many thanks, Martin. I plan to finish the current VERY long-running story, soon, in London. Then we can move on to Christmas stories then start the racing pigeon one featuring a certain character, once the rail vehicles have arrived. (I'll ask for them to be posted, soon.)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6392 on: November 04, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »
“As efficient as ever, Angela! I see,” he looked around the room, “that you’ve organised the err … deliveries from my cellars, too!”

Again, a broad smile appeared on Angela’s round face.

“Yes, Giles, the drinks are in the cellar, whilst the rest of the armaments are in the attic, behind a smaller one of those Torchwood tech. doors. Well, that is, what’s not already here of your choice bottles or in the kitchen, next door! In fact, since you first contacted me, the deliveries have been almost non-stop, Jenny says! Don’t worry, the drivers all knew the correct passphrases and handed over receipts for the expenses file! And, as for food … Are you expecting a siege?”, she smiled gently.

The smile disappeared from Giles’s, normally, carefree face. “I sincerely hope not, Angela, but, as far as possible, yes, we are prepared. There’s going to be quite a house party! You know, that’s why we dressed up as hippies and had been planning to be carrying musical instrument cases with our personal armaments in.”

“But carrying handguns rather spoilt that image of a group of partying hippies, didn’t it, Giles?”

“Yes, it did. Fortunately, the Admiral has already informed the local police, via Scotland Yard, to ignore any complaints or concerns made by local residents about any unusual activities connected with these three houses.”

“So, he remembered to do that, too!”

Giles surveyed the room, again. “Where’s Amanda?”

“Oh, you know Amanda, Giles! She’s up on the roof with one of your pals on guard duty. There’s skylight on the rear slope. They’ve got yet more low-grade Torchwood tech. with them, twenty-first century in fact – not that the other ‘Girls’ know anything about all of that, just Sylvi, Eli, Amanda and I – so we should have plenty of warning of anyone approaching below, front or back. Amanda’s a crack shot, she trained for the winter sports’ biathlon, you know, and says that she simply adores the night vision equipment.”

“I’m sure she does. Amanda really is quite fearless,” Giles laughed, again. “A real head for heights that gal. I hope she’s not distracting …” again, he looked around the room and into the adjoining kitchen whose door was wide open, “Andy, up there!”

“Don’t worry, Giles. She knows very well to wait until Andy’s off duty! But, then …” Amanda giggled.

I wonder how much wine she’s already had, he wondered, before replying:

“Good, good. Well, Angela, I think our two cab drivers will have finished their tea and I need to be somewhere else, for a while, as do they. They’ve got a busy few hours ahead of them! Nothing to worry about. Everything’s secure. I’ll be leaving Richard and Sophie in charge, until my return.”

At the second name, a frown briefly crossed Angela’s face before she brightened.

“Yes, of course. Richard and … Sophie. Take care, Giles.”

“Thank you, Angela, I will. Tell the other ‘Girls’ to get ready their evening gowns for the evening. I heard that Sylvi has a particularly spectacular one to welcome Jeremy in! I just hope that he’s fully recovered enough to see it!” He grinned before adding, as he got up to leave. “A fleet of ‘Black Cabs’ will be coming for us all at 7:15, sharp. I’ll be back long before then. Don’t worry.”

“Okay.”

Amanda gave him her best smile and wondered about Sylvi’s gown and how he knew about it.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6393 on: November 05, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
 :hellosign:
  Many thanks Chris, hope they all enjoy the special evening.
   Someone's being reading my mind again,  :D. Of course the ferry can carry cars, thanks Chris & Chris.
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6394 on: November 08, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »
   Someone's being reading my mind again,  :D. Of course, the ferry can carry cars, thanks, Chris & Chris.
      regards Derek.

Many thanks, Derek. As recommended by Chris (Weave) an articulated model railway car transporter wagon in N Gauge by Arnold (unboxed) -- NOT Lima -- with 8 motor vehicles has been purchased for use with the train ferry coaches, in high season. Normally, one of the low-sided "Ferry" 'Tube' wagons suffices for a motor or two.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:43:20 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6395 on: November 08, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
Meanwhile, in the opposite corner, Sylvia was sitting with Susan, out of earshot of the clusters of young men and women. They both noticed Sofi's obvious displeasure at Angela's animated conversation with Giles, but Sylvia had more pressing matters on her mind.

“Okay, Susan. You’ve been very quiet for a long time and I know that you’ve got something important in your bag and I’m sure that it’s not your party dress from Mary Quant as all your London clothes are in that wardrobe on the upstairs landing, here, so how about telling me, your best friend, what’s really going on?”

Susan sighed and looked steadily at her friend.

“Ah, Sylvi, you know me very well. Perhaps too well. I will surely miss you and all the adventures we’ve shared!”

“What do you mean, miss me?”

“Well, as much as I love life in Swinging London and experiencing it, to the full, with you and the others, I know that my time to leave with my grandfather is fast approaching. Perhaps when he returns from Rockall. There's so much more to see and experience ... out there!”

Susan gestured expansively.

“Oh, Susan! We will be SO sorry for you to leave us, but I always knew that that was likely to happen. You told Eli and I. You ARE a Time Lord after all!”

“But, if the TARDIS allows, I, we, may return ...”

“But that may not be a Time when we're still ...”

“Alive?”

“Yes, Susan. But how about answering my question?” Sylvia smiled.

Susan laughed.

“I was hoping that you'd have forgotten it!”

“Oh, no. You don't escape so easily, Susan!”

“I can see that!” She smiled.

“I know what happened to my Jeremy was terrible but there's something far more than just protecting all of us, together, in this house, from kidnapping and interrogation by the KGB about orichalcum, isn’t there?”

“Giles hasn't said anything to you?”

“No, he has not, Susan, and that Admiral never communicates with the likes of US!”

“No. Well, it’s only a suspicion, call it a feeling, Time Lord intuition, if you wish, Sylvi, but I think my grandfather shared something important with the Admiral and Torchwood before he left for Rockall ...”

“Don't tell me, something about that accursed orichalcum!”

“I am afraid so, Sylvi. We still don't know how the Soviets first learnt about it, about its significance, its unique and amazing powers ...”

“No, we don't. Jeremy might. I don't think that it was anyone on Sonmel though, do you?”

“Well, Eli and you have been there ...”

“And Sofi, who's still looking as if looks could kill! First, it was Christian, before that, last year, at Trevelver Castle, you now, THAT evening, I thought … “

“What, Sylvi? That there was something between Sofi and Jeremy? No, he loves you, heart and soul, as you humans say. Of that, I have absolutely no doubt.”

She smiled gently.

“Thank you, Susan. I know that but …”

“Now, Sofi seems to have a new attraction, Giles!”

They both laughed, briefly.

“Yes, she certainly does, Susan. Did you see the black looks she was giving Angela?”

“Oh, yes, I did, Sylvi; but why didn’t Sofi see that Giles was clearly not interested in Angela, although Angela was clearly interested in him? You humans can be so …”

“Emotional?”

“Yes. That’s the difference between you and us …”

“Time Lords?”

“Yes, Sylvi.”

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6396 on: November 08, 2019, 08:08:07 PM »
   Someone's being reading my mind again,  :D. Of course, the ferry can carry cars, thanks, Chris & Chris.
      regards Derek.

Many thanks, Derek. As recommended by Chris (Weave) an articulated model railway car transporter wagon in N Gauge by Arnold (unboxed) -- NOT Lima -- with 8 motor vehicles has been purchased for use with the train ferry coaches, in high season. Normally, one of the low-sided "Ferry" 'Tube' wagons suffices for a motor or two.

Hi Chris (IP),

Didn't know Arnold did an articulated car transporter. Are you sure? Thought it was just Lima that did it which I didn't recommend. Might be wrong. Anyway, mine are, as I said Fleischmann and Ibertren, and the few cars were going to travel on the ferry deck and be driven on to them at Port Regleun but am sure we can come to a compromise with one car transporter on the ferry.

Hope helps clarify as slightly confused (could be me so apologies if so).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #6397 on: November 08, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
Arnold did an articulated car transporter as item no. 4990 (and maybe some other versions too).

Peter

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6398 on: November 09, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Thank you, Hiawatha, that is indeed the model I was referring to. It looks like a DB goods wagon used to transport vehicles from VW's Wolfsburg factory rather than an SNCF one used on our mythical Train Ferry service but Rule One applies until something more suitable is available / suggested?!

Lima made a very similar model (which Chris (Weave) warned me off) but with very toy-like basic plastic cars. I'll find pictures and post them.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6399 on: November 09, 2019, 09:20:18 AM »
... Rule One applies until something more suitable is available / suggested?!

Rule One is a truly wonderful part of the fun of model railways.  As is Rule Two.

I look forward to the photographs; it's always good to see pictures of the fabulous Cant Cove.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6400 on: November 09, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »
Hi Chris (IP),

Just to clarify, the Lima one does have rubbish cars but that's by the by as will be buying other cars of choice anyway. The problem with them is the middle bogie where the wheels are huge and can be seen above the car deck.

The Arnold one, apologies as didn't know they did one, looks much much better. Will keep my eye out for one for through runnings. The others I have will all be useful for '80s/'90s running and one is Spanish anyway.

Best thing is to show me what's coming over the Channel via West Porthsea and we can accommodate over here.

Rule One (Regleun) all the way  :thumbsup:

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6401 on: November 09, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). This is what I have bought and it should arrive at Cant Cove in about 3 weeks.

The VW vans and cars will be carefully saved and replaced with suitable Oxford Models 1960s motor cars.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:00:31 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6402 on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
Another alternative, for the 1980s (?) and beyond is this very nice FLEISCHMANN 8285 DB Car transporter with 8 BMW cars'BOXED' N Gauge F365:

However, I feel that it is rather large for Cant Cove whereas the smaller Arnold one is more in keeping.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6403 on: November 09, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
An even smaller, but to my mind, unsuitable, alternative is the easily available Hornby Minitrix N Gauge 4 Car Transporter Wagon N510:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6404 on: November 09, 2019, 11:45:44 AM »
And here is that Lima Mercedes double-deck car transporter that I had thought Chris (Weave) was describing:

I wonder if changing the wheels for Graham Farish metal ones would improve it as it is, otherwise, an attractive model.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:01:43 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything