!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 535904 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5940 on: June 02, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
I'm not sure how many "Tullibardine" vans Andrew has done as I've forgotten how many BR Grey Minitrix Shoc Vans I had sent to him for relivering plus I know that he added some more, including at least one Lima van which needs a Peco chassis to reduce its height. But, as far as I know, there is only one "Tullibardine" ferry van.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:43:24 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5941 on: June 02, 2019, 05:00:10 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks again for all the pics, info. and back stories.

While just concentrating on Sant Pau de Mar in Izaro, I have neglected Port Regleun big time. I needed to run trains so no regrets. Has been 2 months since last Regleun post but have cleared some of the mess to do some photos later today although it's very bare bones.

With the redevelopment, ie. building, of the old (Sud) port, the building, ie. not started yet, of the new (Nord) port (which is off camera for quite a while) and all the newly proposed services it's all a bit chaotic but also thank you for getting me to pull my finger out a bit to hopefully make more progress.

I'll try and link pics and stories but please correct me if I'm getting things wrong today and in the future regarding who's where and when etc.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #5942 on: June 02, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »
... Paddy, if I knew the typeface, font and size, I could, I think, have some transfers made and respray a similar standard Graham Farish British 'Pullman' car?

Hi Chris,

Like you, I looked at the small run of original Farish Pullmans liveried in blue CIWL.  However, also like you I was not willing to pay the ridiculous prices especially given their rather poor quality of finish.  I few months back I did work up some initial artwork to use on repainted Chocolate and Cream Farish Pullmans (see attached PDF).

The font used in Bernard MT Condensed - which is a very reasonable match especially in N gauge.  ;)

Hope this helps.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5943 on: June 02, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave) and Paddy.

The 1963 timeline is not entirely fixed. The severe Winter ended early March which makes travel possible, again. March would be when the party of Continental business people for a meeting in Trevelver Castle's Great Hall to discuss ways how to increase Continental trade via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry. Some then proceeded up to Perthshire before returning home. April is clear. May is already, partly accounted for, including the "Chelsea Girls" long weekend on the sunny Isle of Sonmel, plus Sylvia and Eli's business trip to Munich to visit the TOUROPA office, and June is about to begin. I think you had at least one event in April, Chris (Weave)?

Chris (Weave) now you can see the two types of short TOUROPA couchette cars, Minitrix and Arnold.

That is a very fine graphic, Paddy. However, I was thinking of graphics, lettering and stripes on a resprayed body. Transfers in a suitable yellow could be commissioned, at a price. (A friend of mine and I had lots of BR SR coach numbers and Set Nos. all made up on a single sheet, which has yet to be used, by / for me.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:44:17 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5944 on: June 05, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »
Inspired by Martin, I have decided, if still available, to buy a Union Mills BR Black 2301 Dean Goods, too. The back story will be that it was bought from BR WR after use on Welsh branch lines due to their light axle loads. They were progressively replaced by new BR Standard Class 2MT 2-6-0 engines. As No. 2538 was the last to be withdrawn, in May 1957 (at 89A Oswestry 8/50 to 11/52, 7/53 to 5/57), that would be my choice. Although they never ran in Cornwall they were cleared to do so, so . . . I'm not sure if No. 2538 carried the BR Late Crest nor if it carried the large Early Crest or the smaller version on its tender. So far, I  have only found a photo. with the smaller version on its tender. No. 2538 was used on railtours before she was withdrawn and so kept cleaner than would be normally expected. "Great Western Steam off the Beaten Track" has a photo. of No. 2538 on the cover as well as photos. inside, I've read. So, I've ordered the book, from Amazon, ready for the loco. to be detailed, later.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:25:45 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5945 on: June 05, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »
Inspired by Martin, I have decided, if still available, to buy a Union Mills BR Black 2301 Dean Goods, too,

This comment just goes to show that we don't need much of an excuse to buy some rolling stock................  ;)

(My excuse is "I like the look of that". I have no 'EWS' engines and have just seen one on ebay cheap, so in went a bid - and then I thought,"it would be nice if there were two of them" and I just happened to see another which also had a low starting price.  :doh: :whistle:)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5946 on: June 05, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »
Certainly as late as April 1956 number 2538 carried the smaller (unicycling lion) early crest.
I doubt it was repainted after that date.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #5947 on: June 05, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Inspired by Martin, I have decided, if still available, to buy a Union Mills BR Black 2301 Dean Goods, too,

This comment just goes to show that we don't need much of an excuse to buy some rolling stock................  ;)

(My excuse is "I like the look of that". I have no 'EWS' engines and have just seen one on ebay cheap, so in went a bid - and then I thought,"it would be nice if there were two of them" and I just happened to see another which also had a low starting price.  :doh: :whistle:)

Yep, just bought a Spanish loco for two good reasons:

1. I liked the look of it.
2. It was cheap.

:beers:

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5948 on: June 05, 2019, 08:21:56 PM »
Glad I am not the only one.   :thumbsup:

(With apologies to Chris for the hijack   :)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5949 on: June 05, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »
No problem re: the hijack. I look forward to seeing the 'escaped' Spanish diesel. No doubt a special deal from our Continental friends (@Weave@ Chris?). The connection will be that Lord and Lady Trevelver spent holidays in North Wales in the 1950s and Lord Trevelver became very fond of the 2301 Dean Goods and their modern 2-6-0 successors, hence the BR WR Lined Green Ivatt 2-6-0 No. 46526 (89D) Oswestry. (A 78xxx would be nice, too.)

Thank you, Martin, for the BR loco. info. I doubted whether No. 2538 ever carried the BR Late Crest on its tender.  However, there appear to be photos. of No. 2538 carrying both sizes of the Early BR Crest.

LARGE:
https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/steam-locomotives-of-a-more-leisurely-era-gwr-1883-dean-goods/#jp-carousel-6372

SMALL:
http://www.railuk.info/gallery/notes/thumbnail4a.php?id=461&file_name=2538.jpg&type=aa

The Union Mills BR Black livery model has a VERY large Early BR Crest. Too large in my opinion.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5950 on: June 08, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
By some amazing oversight, no photos. of the "Cornish Belle" Pullman train have been posted, yet. However, at a future time, there will be the "Cornish Belle" bikini beauty competition coming to promote the Bulleid Pacific hauled (a Merchant Navy to / from Exeter Central, Bulleid Light Pacific to / from Penmayne), summer only "Cornish Belle" Pullman service to / from Waterloo, publicised by leading London advertising agency, S H Benson Ltd., where Sylvia first worked.

When the all-Pullman "Cornish Belle" was introduced in the Summer of 1955, suggested by Lady Penelope Trevelver, following the demise of the "Devon Belle" at the end of the Summer season in 1954, it added yet another name to the list of famous British expresses. It brought a new standard of luxury to the journey westward (and return) with the added bonus of a specially constructed observation car. It ran from Waterloo to Penmayne. At the time, it was referred to as "The Glasshouse" and "Britain's only American style observation car". [One of these days, I'll get my 3D printed "Pullman" observation car finished.]

The Up "Cornish Belle" arrives at Penmayne, from the carriage siding, at 11.45 am, departing at exactly 12 Noon. It then arrives at Wadebridge at 12.09 pm and, after adding the portion from Trepol Bay, departs at 12.19 pm to arrive at London Waterloo at 7.00 pm. (At the beginning and end of the Summer timetable, one brake end "Pullman" suffices for the Trepol Bay portion but, in high season, an additional "Pullman" car is added. For efficient working, the Trepol Bay "Pullmans" are added to a two-coach local service to / from Wadebridge.)

The Down "Cornish Belle" leaves Waterloo at the very civilised hour of 11:30 am arriving at Wadebridge at 6.10pm where it detaches the portion for Trepol Bay before departing at 6.20pm to arrive at Penmayne at 6.33pm, leaving time to check-in at the booked hotel, freshen up then enjoy dinner at 8 pm.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:15:51 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5951 on: June 09, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »
To introduce the Summer 1963 program of holiday season trains, here is a photo. of Class 22 D6309 piloting Class 42 D818 'Glory' around the Tolcarne Triangle at Treloggan Junction whilst working a Summer Holiday express train away from Newquay, Cornwall, an earlier year. Photo Anthony Haynes. The leading coach is an LMS design.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143906024@N05/32850460690/sizes/k/

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5952 on: June 09, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »
Here's another. Class 22 D6348 hauls 9B05, a summer holiday express train away from Newquay around the Tolcarne Triangle at Treloggan Junction, Cornwall. Photo Anthony Haynes. The leading coach is also an LMS design but with an Sc prefix.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143906024@N05/37809128392/sizes/o/

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5953 on: June 09, 2019, 03:53:33 PM »
Itís 10.45 in the morning at Trepol Bay as 34065 Hurricane arrives from Truro with a two coach local train to Wadebridge:
63B3CC08-BCAE-43AB-8FBC-7E83C5D69BB1 by martin scane, on Flickr
Two Pullmans stand in Platform 2 as a 45xx prarie tank propels a SR luggage van towards them.
Hurricane will shortly leave its two carriages standing at platform 1 before working forward light engine then reversing into platform 2 to collect the two Pullmans and luggage van which it will then work forward onto the main line then reverse to couple up to the two SR carriages. The ensemble will then form the 11.10 to Wadebridge where the Pullmans will be added to the 12.09 Cornish Belle (ex Penmayne) to arrive Waterloo at 7-00pm.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:25:38 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5954 on: June 09, 2019, 11:24:24 PM »
 :hellosign: Really Really  :greatpicturessign: Chris & Martin  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00