!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 536638 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5790 on: March 11, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
Many thanks, Martin, for the update. I wonder if any photographer around Trepol Bay photographed the Shedmaster's train arriving on the Saturday, or was it too dark?

The mystery of how Eddie Bligh and Andrew Parks were put up in the hotel, at Trepol Bay, with breakfast and evening meal, is about to be revealed to readers.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5791 on: March 11, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »
Many thanks, Martin, for the update. I wonder if any photographer around Trepol Bay photographed the Shedmaster's train arriving on the Saturday, or was it too dark?

The mystery of how Eddie Bligh and Andrew Parks were put up in the hotel, at Trepol Bay, with breakfast and evening meal, is about to be revealed to readers.
We’ll see what we can do...
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5792 on: March 11, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »
Returning to the Saturday, the train conveying Bill Truscott to Trepol Bay eventually departed Wadebridge at 5.36, some fifteen minutes late. This was due to, of all things, a failure of the lights in the SR Green BCK. The problem was soon rectified but Bill wasn’t worried. He had plenty of time and took advantage of the gathering gloom to rest his weary eyes.
The slightly late departure from Wadebridge caused a further delay at Wadebridge West Junction where the small hydraulic and her short train was held at signals for some eight minutes. This was due to a light engine movement off the shed and onto the branch to Penmayne.
Consequently it was getting quite dark by the time the train arrived at Trepol Bay.
FDEBCFC9-D2E5-425A-89C1-3616C90D29A8 by martin scane, on Flickr
The lights of the Station Hotel were glowing in the distance as Bill Truscott stepped down from his train. After a short pause to look around, take in his surroundings and gather his thoughts, he set off for the station exit from where it was but a short walk to the hotel.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5793 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
And back to the Thursday morning.

Driver Ralph Evans climbed up into the cab of the Hymek followed by the other four,, making it just a little crowded.
William Wickham gave a very brief appraisal of the various controls before giving Ralph the nod to gently ease the locomotive off shed and on towards Truro.
The uninterrupted run, which took about 55 minutes went without incident, Eddie Bligh and Andrew Parks being mightily impressed by the quiet, smooth riding qualities of the loco otive.
On arrival at Truro, Ralph eased the Hymek onto the shed, a scene witnessed, with open mouthed disbelief by the small number of trainspotters gathered atop the well known girder footbridge across the tracks.
“Ok lads, we have twenty minutes before the taxi arrives”, said William Wickham, “Ralph, can you give Eddie here a brief rundown on the controls, perhaps even a short run up and down the yard”.
Then at 12.40 the taxi arrived exactly on time to convey all 5 railwaymen down the hill into Truro, drawing up outside Mannings Hotel at 12.50.
“Perfect”, declared the Controller, “Lunch is at 1.15. Plenty of time to peruse the menu at our leisure”.
With that all five entered the hotel.......
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:42:24 PM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5794 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. The Wadebridge fitter discovered that the dynamo belt under the BCK had not been tightened properly so the lighting batteries had run flat. No-one had checked the coach at Clapham Junction yard, it seemed. Instead of taking the coach off at Trepol Bay, as usual, to return it on the next train to Waterloo from Wadebridge, it was decided to leave it on the Truro train as a good run there and back would recharge the batteries. Outside the summer season, a BR SR coach is a real rarity at Truro.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:29:14 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5795 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
For future reference, the Summer timetable this year (1963) runs from Monday 17 June 1963 to Monday 9 September 1963; I think Sunday 8th September is meant.

Easter in 1963: Easter Sunday fell on  April 14th. So, special trains from Friday 12th to Monday 15th.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5796 on: March 15, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
All five railwaymen sat down to lunch.
“It’s all on me”, declared William Wickham, “The only stipulation, I’m sorry to relate, is no alcohol. We are, after all, on duty and there is a locmotive to return to Wadebridge later”.
Some ninety minutes later everyone sat back contentedly to enjoy their post dinner coffees having just consumed a most impressive lunch.
“Now, I know that you all, particularly Mr Bligh and Mr Parks, are wondering exactly what this is all about”, said The Controller, careful not to talk too loudly in case he was overheard, “Effectively, as you know Driver Bligh and Guard Parks had to be reprimanded for their part in failing to follow safetybregulations when in charge of a train from Wadebridge to Trepol Bay. Their punishment, of which you are all aware, is to spend some time shunting on the notorious Trepol Bay harbour incline. The two of you” he continued looking at Bligh and Parks, “have demonstrated admirably your flexibility in adapting to this work so easily and competently. I expected no less, your reputation as fine railwaymen is well known. Indeed, time and again, I have received glowing reports of your work from your superiors. I realise that your slight, bending of the rules, if I may call it that, was done in good faith. We shall say no more on that count”.
“Thank you for your kind words”, interrupted Eddie Bligh, “but I fail to see why we have been brought here. This is less a punishment than a glowing commendation”.
“Indeed”, replied the Controller, “ but let me continue”.............

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5797 on: March 15, 2019, 04:12:16 PM »
Thank you, Martin. The other railwaymen must have been taken into confidence.

Now to turn the clock back, once more, to Trepol Bay's "Station Hotel" on the previous Saturday evening.

Their scones enjoyed and tea drunk. It was time to get down to business.

“Well, Mr. Truscott, it seems that we have a mutual acquaintance who trusts both of us, highly, most highly, in fact,” began Tom Tridinnick.

“Yes, indeed, if you are referring, as I think, to Mr. Wickham, of BR Plymouth?”

“Yes, that’s right. Mr. Wickham emphasised that it is a matter of some delicacy not to be spoken of to anyone except the three of us.”

“Yes, indeed, Mr. Tridinnick.”

“Right. Here are the terms agreed by Mr. Wickham and I and, below, the maximum amount payable.”

The Wadebridge Yardmaster, picked up the typewritten paper and carefully studied it before replacing it on the table between the two of them.

“Yes, those terms are very reasonable, most reasonable in the circumstances. Will you accept a crossed cheque for the maximum amount stated?”

“Yes, of course. Mr. Wickham assured me that your credit and reputation are spotless. We agreed the customary BR discount.”

“Indeed. That was very obliging of him.” Bill Truscott solemnly removed his fountain pen from his coat pocket followed by his cheque book and completed the cheque for the stated amount before handing it over.

“Any balance will, of course, be refunded, by a posted cheque, Mr. Truscott.”

“Of course. Do you have my home address?”

“No, as a matter of fact, I do not. Please, be so kind as to write it on this piece of paper which I will place in the office safe together with your cheque and the typewritten note until the final accounting has been completed.”

“Thank you, Mr. Tridinnick.” The Yardmaster neatly wrote down his home address, in a quiet Wadebridge back street, before returning his pen to its customary place. “Will there be anything else?”

“No, thank you, Mr. Truscott, we’re done. I trust my wife’s homemade scones and the tea, our best Earl Grey, met with your approval?”

“Yes, indeed. My compliments to your lady wife. Now, if you’ll excuse me,” the Yardmaster removed his SR fob watch from his dark waistcoat, “I see that I must be off to the station.”

“Thank you. But, before you leave, I’ve been asked to pass this important note to you to read before leaving.”

“Thank you.” The Yardmaster opened a small cream coloured envelope and removed a matching folded note from within which he opened and read the neatly written words with evident surprise and then pleasure. “I must thank you, again, Mr. Tridinnick. This is all most . . . unexpected.”

The two men rose and solemnly shook hands, then Mr. Tridinnick opened the office door. “You’ll find the lady in question waiting for you at our Reception. On behalf of our hotel, we wish you a pleasant evening in Trepol Bay.” He studied the antique wall-mounted barometer. “It seems set fair, Mr. Truscott.”

“My sincere thanks, again, Mr. Tridinnick."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:14:58 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5798 on: March 15, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Thanks Chris. There’s a bit of switching back and forth between days which I trust folk can cope with.
So......back to the Thursday lunchtime where the railwaymen are enjoying a post lunchtime coffee at Mannings Hotel, Truro with William Wickham addressing the assembled group.

“What I am about to discuss must remain confidential and must not be discussed with anyone outside of this group. Do I have your full agreement ?”
Everyone around the table nodded.
“Ok, I shall continue”, said the Controller, “ Recently, indeed in the last two days, a contract has been drawn up between British Railways and various companies in Devon and Cornwall to transport perishable and other goods between the two counties. This will involve, as an example, the transport of fish, rum snd eggs from The Brixham area to various businesses in West Devon and throughout Cornwall and the transfer of commodities such as fresh fruit and vegetables and fine ales from companies in Cornwall, including as examples those based in  Trepol Bay and Cant Cove, to Devon. In effect a reciprocal trading arrangement that benefits all, including ourselves. Does that all make sense?”.
“Yes indeed” replied Guard Parks, speaking on behalf of everyone, “But what has that to do with us?”
The Controller continued, “The trains involved will be running at as high a speed as possible, taking into account the nature of the route and local speed restrictions. The fact that most of the traffic is of a perishable nature necessitates speedy transportation. In addition, despite the fast running involved, individual wagons will need to be offloaded or attached at various stations and yards along the route. So, fast safe shunting and the ability to re form trains is essential. Driver Evans here, from Plymouth, along with guard Alfie Orr, who you haven’t yet met, have already demonstrated their abilities. And, of course, we now know that Driver Bligh and Guard Parks here, are perfectly capable”. The Controller turned to look at the two railwaymen, “You two now know the reason for your punishment working the Trepol Bay incline so that I could assess your abilities. You both stepped up to the task admirably. Now, we’ll be rostering Hymeks, such as the one we worked down on today, to this duty so, Driver Bligh will receive full training as will Guard Parks who will require detailed route training. Mr Tompkins here, will be organising the day to day running of the train including effective rotation of rolling stock and train timetabling. All that is required is that you Eddie and you Andrew agree. Oh, and I nearly forgot, as this is to be a prestigious new initiative, the pair of you would receive an additional payment of £4-00 per week to reflect the added responsibility. If we can make this work it will be a real feather in the cap for us in the South West. Hopefully, similar schemes can be rolled out nationally in due course”.
“So......what do you say? Ted Tompkins, Ralph here and Alfie Orr have already signed up so it’s just you two now to complete the team”,  he continued looking directly at Eddie Bligh and Andrew Parks.
The two railwaymen exchanged glances and with that Eddie nodded slowly, “Count us in Sir, we’ll be delighted to accept”.
William Wickham gave an involuntary sigh of relief as he sat down in his chair.
“That’s good news lads, really fantastic news, so finish your coffee and we’ll head back to Truro shed. We’ve a Hymek to drive back  to Trepol Bay.........
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:52:44 PM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5799 on: March 15, 2019, 06:03:34 PM »
Thanks, Martin. I have to post when I have some spare time. I'll always begin with a note on the day (in relation to your posts and location. I hope that will enable readers to keep up.

What was the subject of the business transaction at the "Station Hotel"? Who is the mystery woman that the Wadebridge Yardmaster is meeting and how did she know where and when to find him?

I will wait until Martin has concluded his story before posting more. I also have some new stories and photos. coming.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:39:28 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5800 on: March 17, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris & Martin following the story from Spain this week
     regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5801 on: March 18, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
Thursday continued

The trip back to Trepol Bay went without incident. Eddie Bligh took the controls of the Hymek under the ever watchful eye of  Ralph Evans.
“She’s a nice un to drive” commented Eddie.
“Yes, and she can pull as you hopefully will find out next week”, replied Ralph.

On arrival at Trepol Bay, Eddie and Andrew Parks, along with Ted Tompkins climbed down out of the cab when the loco paused at the platform.
Driver Evans and William Wickham would take the loco back to Plymouth.
The controller’s final words were “Thanks you three, I think we have the makings of a great team here. Now, I’d like all three of you to report to Exmouth Junction shed on Monday morning. You can catch the train down for an 11.30 start. Go to the foreman’s office and report to Barney Chadwick the assistant gaffer. He’ll have all the details ready for the start of another week of training for you all. I’ll catch up with you on the Wednesday of next week. I’ve arranged lodgings in Exeter for you all for the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. So, have a good weekend and I look forward to seeing you soon”.
With that the Hymek accelerated gently away. Eddie Bligh and Andrew Parks made their way to Platform 2 to await the local train to take them home to Wadebridge whilst Ted Tompkins strolled quietly over to the Station Hotel for a quick pint before heading home.

Back at Wadebridge, Eddie and Anndrew popped into the Molesworth Arms for a quick pint before going home, “See you on Monday morning then Eddie”, said Andrew, “ We need to catch the 07.27 train to Exeter. Ted will be on board and will reserve a compartment for us”.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5802 on: March 18, 2019, 08:06:31 PM »
Thanks, Martin. I'll hold off posting stories for a bit but may post a photo. or three, soon.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5803 on: March 19, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
The following Monday witnessed Driver Eddie Bligh and Guard Andrew Parks standing in the gloom on a very chilly platform at Wadebridge awaiting the 07.27  to Exeter.
Right on time a 45xx arrived with a train from Truro with Ted Tompkins already on board and waving happily from a first class compartment, “Hop aboard lads, I’ve a flask of coffee waiting, that’ll warm you up a bit”.
In a well practised manouevre the little prarie was replaced by a rather grubby N class mogul for the trip to Exeter via Camelford, Launceston, Halwill Junction and Okehampton,  a journey that can best be described as pedestrian.
On arrival at Exeter St David’, some 2 hours and 50 minutes later, a goodly number of passengers alighted but our intrepid trio stayed aboard for the climb uo to Exeter Central.
At Central Station,  Ted Tompkins said, “Right lads, we get off here. The N is going onto Exmouth Junction shed, that’s where we’re meeting Barney Chadwick. We can hitch a lift on the footplate. It’ll be a tad crowded but it’s only 5 minutes down the line”.
With that all three climbed aboard just before the little mogul set off for servicing, arriving on shed at 10.50.
“Thanks driver”, called out Ted as he climbed down, “That saved us a lengthy walk”.
“Time for a cuppa before we meet Barney”, said Eddie, “there’s a little cafe just outside the shed entrance”.
Then, at precisely 11.30, as arranged, the trio knocked on the foreman’s office door to be warmly welcomed by a beaming Barney Chadwick, assistant foreman.
“Welcome, welcome”, he grinned, “come in, I’ll fill you in on our plans. Bill Wickham has arranged for a trip to Churston with the Hymek where we’ll pick up a few wagons for a return trip to Exeter. Eddie, you’ll drive. I’m coming to oversee the trip but I know that you are more than capable”.
With that, all three walked out into the shed yard. Walking past a Merchant Navy and a rebuilt West Country Pacific, neither of which are allowed West of Exeter, they see the gleaming Hymek idling gently in the watery sunlight.
“All  aboard”, said Barney, “ Let’s get this show on the road”.
“He seems a nice bloke”, Andrew Parks whispered to Eddie Bligh, “I think we’re going to get along nicely”.
“I couldn’t agree more”, repled Eddie Bligh, “Im looking forward to this. And we get to stay in a nice B&B in Exeter tonight.i’ve heard that there are several good pubs nearby so we’ll enjoy a pint or two after supper”.
They all climbed aboard with Eddie in the driver’s seat.”Right”, said Barney, “We’re due off shed at 12.32 so let’s get settled. We’ll be running back up to St David’s then off along the sea wall to Newton Abbot before taking the Torbay branch down to Churston where a few wagons from Brixham should be waiting”.
At 12.32 precisely, Eddie eased the Hymek gently forward......
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:29:27 PM by port perran »

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #5804 on: March 19, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »
I thought that Exeter Central was above Exeter St Davids

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30