!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 433442 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4890 on: July 19, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
Dear all,

Please, find attached the first prototype 3D print of a 2MM scale LSWR pattern water crane, ground mounted type. I can now reveal that, perhaps prompted by my initial request quite a few months ago, it will be produced and marketed by the excellent Peedie Models whose permission I have to share this photo. with you for your final approval and comments.

Paul, of Peedie Models, also shared the following with me: "the final image [attached, is] of the painted version as it shows off the detail better, and please feel free to show it off all you want.

I will look into doing a platform version shortly as now that I have all the parts as different files I can use them to construct the other version, also you may want to mention that there are other area water cranes planned and will be coming out soon.

Will advise you of price shortly as these are likely to be in packs of two and will be two parts the base section and then the pipe section, and all are 3D printed using liquid resin to allow for fine detail to be captured."

Excellent news, I think for all of us modelling in the former LSWR area with other railways' designs coming, too.

I will be ordering a pack of 2 ground-mounted plus 2 platform mounted ones for me. (Martin, please, let me know what you would like for Trepol Bay.)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4891 on: July 19, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
That looks fantastic, Chris.

And wonderful news about other companies' ones as well.

This is certainly a good time to be involved in British 'N' gauge.

Many thanks.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4892 on: July 19, 2018, 09:01:06 PM »

Many thanks.

John

I'm very happy about this, John, too. I've long wanted these LSWR pattern water cranes as they are so quintessential BR SR North Cornwall. I'm pretty sure that Peedie Models will produce other water cranes. Which company design would you like? After the water cranes, I will try asking them to produce other models. A friend has already asked me to ask them for the SR concrete double lamp standards.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4893 on: July 20, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
Today saw the departure from Cant Cove of early ex-GWR pannier tank No. 6713. No. 6713 is one of the 50 locomotives of the 6700 Class, or 67xx class, which were not fitted with vacuum brakes, steam heating, or ATC, and were fitted with three link couplings only; they were therefore limited to shunting duties and some freight working. The 6700s had a smaller minimum curve radius of 4 chains (260 ft; 80 m) (normal) and 3 1⁄2 chains (230 ft; 70 m) (slow) and an increased axle clearance. BR WR No. 6713 had been on loan to Cant Cove for shunting duties and some goods trains to / from Wadebridge as BR SR Z Class No. 30956 is urgently needed back at Exmouth Junction to cope with all the summer extra trains at Exeter (and its steam heating capabilities are not required in Summer) whilst local BR SR Drewry 0-6-0 D2290 is, usually, allocated to Trepol Bay Harbour shunting duties. St. Blazey has promised a suitable pannier tank replacement until Swindon Works can provide an overhauled 94xx, namely 8485 (of 83E, St. Blazey).

Cant Cove's official photographer was on hand to record some final photos. of No. 6713 before it departed for Wadebridge from where it left on the Sunday morning for its long journey to the SE Midlands and its new home at Marton Hinmarche.

The pannier tank then left on a short transfer goods to Wadebridge, formed of a BR 'Tarpaulin' Ferry Open Wagon bound for the NE, and three empty "Tube" wagons returning to a Somerset pipe and tubing works after delivering new drainage pipes for the grounds of Trevelver Castle.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:16:38 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4894 on: July 20, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
Good news re the SR water cranes Chris.
They do look very good.
I shall order a couple once they are in production I think.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4895 on: July 20, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
Meanwhile, Z Class No. 30956 has still to journey to Exmouth Junction. One of that shed's BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2Ts is substituting for it.

Here No. 30956 is seen on an evening transfer goods working to Wadebridge of a newly overhauled "North Cornwall Pasty Co." bogie van going to Somerset for the attention of the local signwriter, plus one to the Wadebridge 'Toad B' SWB brake vans. (The red sky promises a fine following morning.)

The next day, the Z Class loco. was seen on another transfer goods working to Wadebridge where the PO 'Tarpaulin' Ferry Open Wagon in the red livery of Port Perran timber mill together with the two Conflats with PO BD Containers: "Headland Brewery" and, in dark green, Messrs Prisk & Jones (Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers), Trepol Bay, will be transferred onto a fast goods train to West Porthsea Quay for the Regleun train ferry service which will convey the ferry wagon plus the two containers to their final destinations in Britanny.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:06:44 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4896 on: July 20, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
Good news re the SR water cranes Chris.
They do look very good.
I shall order a couple once they are in production I think.

It's very good news, Martin, and excellent timing as they should be in production in time for me to assemble, paint, and install them, this summer. (I won't have to install my GWR pattern water cranes, now.)

They are due to be in packs of 2; I think of the same type: ground or platform-mounted. If so, I know someone in England who would be happy to 'split' a pack with you.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4897 on: July 20, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »

Many thanks.

John

I'm very happy about this, John, too. I've long wanted these LSWR pattern water cranes as they are so quintessential BR SR North Cornwall. I'm pretty sure that Peedie Models will produce other water cranes. Which company design would you like? After the water cranes, I will try asking them to produce other models. A friend has already asked me to ask them for the SR concrete double lamp standards.

Thank you, Chris

What I'd really like would be a G&SWR design.  Many years ago, I spent a a lot of time leaning against one waiting for the next train!  Not much chance of that, though, as a very limited market.  Like Martin, I'll order a couple of L&SWR ones when they are in production and then wait to see what other companies' designs become available.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4898 on: July 20, 2018, 04:56:11 PM »

Many thanks.

John

Thank you, Chris

What I'd really like would be a G&SWR design.  Many years ago, I spent a a lot of time leaning against one waiting for the next train!  Not much chance of that, though, as a very limited market.  Like Martin, I'll order a couple of L&SWR ones when they are in production and then wait to see what other companies' designs become available.
Immediately George Formby leapt into my mind...
Im leaning on a water crane
  Waiting for my train
  I hope a certain little lady comes by
  Oh me, oh my....i really hope........etc
Sorry, I shall get my coat
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4899 on: July 20, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »

Many thanks.

John

Thank you, Chris

Immediately George Formby leapt into my mind...
Im leaning on a water crane
  Waiting for my train
  I hope a certain little lady comes by
  Oh me, oh my....i really hope........etc
Sorry, I shall get my coat

You'll jolly well need your raincoat today, Martin.

It's gey wat here in former NBR territory.  I expect that it's the same in the G&SWR part of the country as well.  If you do not have your raincoat, you'll get drookit.

Pip-pip.

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4900 on: July 20, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »
The enthusiasts' special from Penmayne-Wadebridge-Trepol Bay-Port Perran-Newquay-Truro) is seen here, on the return leg, leaving Cant Cove with the GWS preserved GWR "Manor" hauling the 'failed' 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class plus the 3 BR WR Chocolate & Cream BR Standards coaches.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4901 on: July 20, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
When the train arrived at Penmayne, the "Manor" took the North British Type 2 to the new WR single-road diesel shed (built in the same style as the much larger depot at Plymouth Laira). The "Manor' then was stabled at the single-road BR SR steam shed where the GWS (Bodmin) volunteers shed dropped the fire and tended it lovingly.

Meanwhile, at the opposite BR WR shed, the duty diesel fitter was very surprised to discover that, despite going through his full BR WR 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class Fault-Finding Checklist, he could find nothing wrong with the loco. which started first time. Scratching his head, he entered: "Intermittent power fault," and clocked off.

At the nearby inn favoured by BR WR staff, the off-duty driver and fireman were celebrating, with their guard, the opportunity to give the "Manor" a good run to and from Truro.

"She's runnin' as sweet as a nut after that opportunity to really 'stretch 'er legs' ", grinned the driver, raising his beer mug to his friends.

"Tha's right an' havin' that diesel as deadweight behind us plus them three coaches was a good test of 'er over those 'ills," added the fireman, clinking his beer mug with the others'.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:40:13 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4902 on: July 20, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
The foot crossings (first and second photos.) are made from wooden sticks, I think some of the coffee stirrers Martin kindly sent me a while ago with the lines (representing wooden sleepers) scored deeply with a sharp pencil using a steel ruler. They were then painted with a specially mixed combination of matt dark brown and matt black to represent creosoted sleepers, I hope. They really need to be dry-brushed with dark grey. However, I won't do that until I've added the remaining walkways and painted them. (And, at present, the model shop is out of Humbrol thinners. I do also use acrylics but prefer enamel paints for most purposes.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:14:24 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4903 on: July 20, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »
Meanwhile, at the opposite BR WR shed, the duty diesel fitter was very surprised to discover that, despite going through his full BR WR 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class Fault-Finding Checklist, he could find nothing wrong with the loco. which started first time.

An intermittent fault.  Difficult to diagnose.  The shedmaster will no doubt keep a steam engine as standing pilot.

Many thanks for the good photographs.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4904 on: July 21, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
Hi John, if you can find pictures, best of all a scale diagram, of a G&SWR design water crane, I'll pass them on.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here