!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 489987 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1020 on: December 02, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »
"Harbor Lights" was after he trundled down to Weaver Cove  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1021 on: December 04, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
Motive power used on the NCR over the BR years included:

Maunsell N Class (ones with straight sided tenders)

Drummond T9 (8 wheel tender most suitable; 30729 was the only one in the BR period to have a narrow cab and 6 wheel tender; other regular NCR T9s included:
30313 - wide cab & splashers & Late BR Crest; 6-wheel tender [this will be my Union Mills T9]
30338 - wide cab with 8-wheel watercart tender
30709, 30715, 30717, 30718 and 30719 - narrow cab and 8-wheel watercart tender)
30313, 30709, 30715, and 30717 were at Okehampton until July 1961 when they were finally withdrawn.  (After 1961, Ns took over most of their duties. All had gone by September 1964.)

Bulleid original Unrebuilt Light Pacific (narrow 4500gal tender with no tender raves are most suitable; that can cover lots of renaming options)

BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4 tanks (replaced the Ns on some duties), arrived in 1962 to augment / replace 3MT 2-6-2Ts; lasted until the last day of steam on 2 January 1965

Beattie Well Tanks (on Wadebridge to Wenfordbridge line)

The above 5 were most common and are 'signature' classes but the following also ran:

Maunsell U and U1 (Us were rare visitors on the NCR; the unpopular U1s: 31901-4 were tried as T9 replacements 1n 1961)
Maunsell 700 "Black Motors" (rare): 30315, 30317, 30327, 30689, 30691, 30697, and 30700 were allocated to Exmouth Junction shed. All were withdrawn between 1961 and 1962.
Fairburn 2-6-4 tanks (short period in 1951: Exmouth Junction's three 42099, 42103, 42105)
Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks, Drummond O2 tanks (replaced by 0-6-0PTs), GWR 45xx 2-6-2 tanks, GWR 8750 0-6-0PTs (replaced by Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2Ts), GWR 1366 0-6-0PTs (replaced Beattie Well Tanks on Bodmin duties through the years

Closing years saw:
BR Std Class 3MT 2-6-2T tanks (some first appeared in 1952; re-appeared in 1954; re-appeared, again, in 1963; not, usually, used on Padstow line; lasted until the last day of steam on 2 January 1965)
BR Std Class 4 75XXX: (some first appeared in 1955; re-appeared in 1964, replaced the Ns on some duties; transferred away in May 1965)

Class 22 D63XX Type 2 (on passenger and goods), appeared in 1961
Class 121 and (mainly) Class 122 single car units, took over in 1965
Derby-built suburban 3-car* 'heavyweight' units, took over in 1965
BRC&W Co. suburban 3-car* units, took over in 1965
Swindon-built Cross-Country 3-car* units, took over in 1965
*Some ran without centre cars

AC Railbus on Bodmin North shuttle:
In 1964, W79977, with small yellow warning panel was the resident (and formed the last train from Wadebridge to Bodmin North on 28th January 1967 with suitable wreath).
In October 1965, (and maybe longer than that), W79978 with 'speed whiskers' was working the line though this may have been because W79977 was away for overhaul or etc.?

Later:
Class 03 BR D2XXX (replaced 1366 0-6-0PTs on Wadebridge to Wenfordbridge line; in turn replaced by Class 08 BR standard diesel shunters)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:25:25 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1022 on: December 06, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »
A special working arrived at Port Perran this afternoon from Penzance.
The train contained a rare sulphates wagon and three grain hoppers. The wagons were redundant at Penzance but are en-route to Cant Cove where they will be restored by the Castle Brewery/Castle Estates.
The wagons will move on from Port Perran to Trepol Bay where Castle Estates have an area office and their operatives have agreed to perform some preparatory restoration work on the wagons before they move on to Cant Cove (probably in the New Year) for final overhail and re-painting into the Castle Estates distinctive blue livery.
The train is seen here waiting to reverse back into the goods yard at Port Perran where the wagons will wait for the next goods working to Trepol Bay.

The staff at the Headland Brewery at Trepol Bay are currently working on repainting several box vans into a new Black & Gold livery. Hopefully, these will be completed in the New Year and two or three will be included in the train that will include the grain hoppers and sulphate wagon bound for Cant Cove (working via Weaver Cove where one of the vans will be delivered).
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1023 on: December 06, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. Very nice to see them running at Port Perran. I have a spare roof for the Peco grain hopper that is missing its. (I have two damaged blue Peco grain hoppers which have their roofs and I was planning to make one good hopper wagon from.) They will, as Martin, states, be repainted in Castle Brewery dark blue livery and I plan to make side boards with the Castle Brewery name and logo plus some wording such as 'Best Barley for Best Beers!'. Two hoppers may have the Headland Brewery logo and name as well, if I can fit it in! (As the two independent breweries have a co-operation agreement.) Then it can run to Trepol Bay. I also have Dapol BR Grey Grain Hoppers which will NOT be repainted, for variety.

The rare sulphates wagon was bought for repainting in Castle Estates's lighter blue livery to carry granite from the estates' quarry (the present load will be replaced with another removable one with real Cornish granite, courtesy of Martin, planned). It will be an experiment. If the finished wagon looks good, I plan to buy and make a 'twin' for it, next year when another wagon comes up for sale at a reasonable price on eBay.

The Headland Brewery box vans in the Black & Gold livery are eagerly awaited.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:55:45 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1024 on: December 06, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
The LMR, at Derby, have had another clear out of redundant vans which were sent down the Somerset & Dorset then forwarded to Cant Cove for overhaul and repainting over the Christmas break. Eastleigh had forwarded another redundant van to be added to the train and Nine Elms had sent a brand new milk tanker for conveying milk from the Castle Estates' prize-winning herd. One of Plymouth Laira's Class 42's, D814 "Dragon", being spare, was used to convey them to Cant Cove, at slow speed, following the WR's recent heavy investment in track upgrading in the Wadebridge area. As usual, the official photographer was there to record the train:

Apologies for the poor quality photo., no bright sunlight here, today.

Close-up of D814:

The eagle-eyed will notice that D814 was sold to me without ANY standard couplings fitted. (They will be replaced in due course.)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1025 on: December 06, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
Looks good and , of course, reminds me that I don't have a Warship.
They are not my favourite diesel type but I think one needs to be on the wishlist!

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1026 on: December 06, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
The warship looks great Chris.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1027 on: December 06, 2014, 06:52:38 PM »
Thanks, Martin and Jon. Of course, in reality, a Class 42 could never have run from Bodmin Road - Wadebridge - Padstow [Penmayne]. But they DID regularly run over the North Cornwall line from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton, so I have two: BR Maroon and BR Green and am tempted to add a BR Blue One! I do prefer "Hymeks" but am fond of "Warships", too. I think Port Perran should see one. 8-)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1028 on: December 06, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Thanks, Martin and Jon. Of course, in reality, a Class 42 could never have run from Bodmin Road - Wadebridge - Padstow [Penmayne]. But they DID regularly run over the North Cornwall line from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton, so I have two: BR Maroon and BR Green and am tempted to add a BR Blue One! I do prefer "Hymeks" but am fond of "Warships", too. I think Port Perran should see one. 8-)
Maybe in the future. To complement my Western, Hymek and Class 14.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1029 on: December 06, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »
Class 42s also ran from Waterloo to Exeter and also hauled the "Atlantic Coast Express" to Exeter in its last summer.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1030 on: December 06, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »
Maybe in the future. To complement my Western, Hymek and Class 14.
I forgot my favourite, my Class 22 !!

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #1031 on: December 06, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
Yes I love the babies too. I get very tempted by all the different running numbers from Dapol, but can't really justify more than one.
I have "Dragon" too Chris....I might eventually go for a maroon one too.

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1032 on: December 06, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
I have one more D63xx to get. This one will Dapol 2D-012-008 number D6311 in BR Green with disc headcodes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:50:58 PM by jd, Reason: Missed a word out »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1033 on: December 06, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. Very nice to see them running at Port Perran. I have a spare roof for the Peco grain hopper that is missing its. (I have two damaged blue Peco grain hoppers which have their roofs and I was planning to make one good hopper wagon from.) They will, as Martin, states, be repainted in Castle Brewery dark blue livery and I plan to make side boards with the Castle Brewery name and logo plus some wording such as 'Best Barley for Best Beers!'. Two hoppers may have the Headland Brewery logo and name as well, if I can fit it in! (As the two independent breweries have a co-operation agreement.) Then it can run to Trepol Bay. I also have Dapol BR Grey Grain Hoppers which will NOT be repainted, for variety.

The rare sulphates wagon was bought for repainting in Castle Estates's lighter blue livery to carry granite from the estates' quarry (the present load will be replaced with another removable one with real Cornish granite, courtesy of Martin, planned). It will be an experiment. If the finished wagon looks good, I plan to buy and make a 'twin' for it, next year when another wagon comes up for sale at a reasonable price on eBay.

The Headland Brewery box vans in the Black & Gold livery are eagerly awaited.
Just to report that those 4 new wagons have had quite a few circuits of my Port Perran layout this evening (hope you don't mind!), plus a run up to Trepol Bay.
They look good running first behind the Black Motor and later the Hymek and should be a very nice addition to your stock (especially when repainted and rebranded).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:54:02 PM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1034 on: December 06, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
I have one more D63xx to get. This one will Dapol 2D-012-008 number D6311 in BR Green with disc headcodes.

Plymouth Laira certainly had examples of the class with discs but I have not seen a photo. of one running in North Cornwall. If I buy a third Class 22 it will be in BR Blue but with a D. My two were renumbered (to D6313 and D6348) and lightly weathered by Pauline McKenna. However, I think my D6313 may not have the correct body type for one of the early D6313 to D6325 batch, although the headcode boxes are fine.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here