!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 509938 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #945 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
Through the publicity efforts of Lady Penelope of Cant Castle, tourist traffic from Paddington, Waterloo, Bristol, Wales (Cardiff) the Midlands (Birmingham), and the NW (Manchester) and NE (York) of England continues to rise with through trains in the summer timetable running through Wadebridge to Penmayne and other major local destinations where they connect with augmented local services. The North Cornwall Rover ticket valid for local trains and buses marketed jointly by BR SR and WR and Cornish local authorities is proving to be a great success; so much so that overhauled (ex-Worcester shed) ex-GWR diesel railcars have been drafted in to supplement Plymouth Laira's allocation of Gloucester R.C. & W. Co and Pressed Steel Co. diesel railcars (which later became Class 122 and 121). The efforts of the Cornish Loco. Preservation Group (sponsored by the Castle Brewery), GWS Bodmin and Port Perran (sponsored by the Headland Brewery, Trepol Bay) to support continued steam passenger trains, including the "Atlantic Coast Express" hauled by a small stud of overhauled Bulleid Light Pacifics and a pair of T9s and 700 Class 'Black Motors' amongst others maintained by the Cornish LPG, in the summer timetable also are proving very successful at attracting passenger traffic; outside the summer season a shortened "ACE" still runs but D65XX (Class 33) hauled. Last but by no means least, the delicious cornish pasties produced in Port Perran and the excellent food prepared by the new chef at the just refurbished "Railway Hotel", Cant Cove, are also bringing more visitors to the area to the delight of local publicans and hotel owners!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:07:30 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: November 21, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
Through the publicity efforts of Lady Penelope of Cant Castle, tourist traffic from Paddington, Waterloo, Bristol, Wales (Cardiff) the Midlands (Birmingham), and the NW (Manchester) and NE (York) of England continues to rise with through trains in the summer timetable running through Wadebridge to Penmayne and other major local destinations where they connect with augmented local services. The North Cornwall Rover ticket valid for local trains and buses marketed jointly by BR SR and WR and Cornish local authorities is proving to be a great success; so much so that overhauled (ex-Worcester shed) ex-GWR diesel railcars have been drafted in to supplement Plymouth Laira's allocation of Gloucester R.C. & W. Co and Pressed Steel Co. diesel railcars (which later became Class 122 and 121). The efforts of the Cornish Loco. Preservation Group (sponsored by the Castle Brewery), GWS Bodmin and Port Perran (sponsored by the Headland Brewery, Trepol Bay) to support continued steam passenger trains, including the "Atlantic Coast Express" hauled by a small stud of overhauled Bulleid Light Pacifics maintained by the Cornish LPG, in the summer timetable also are proving very successful at attracting passenger traffic; outside the summer season the "ACE" still runs but Class 33 hauled. Last but by no means least, the delicious cornish pasties produced in Port Perran and the excellent food prepared by the new chef at the just refurbished "Railway Hotel", Cant Cove, are also bringing more visitors to the area to the delight of local publicans and hotel owners!

Sounds like Lady Penelope and Co. are transforming the local economy.  More power to their elbows!

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #947 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks, Paddy. Lady Penelope is a very energetic woman who learned all about marketing and PR when she was the secretary, in Manhattan, U.S.A., of David Ogilvy, a British advertising executive who was widely hailed as "The Father of Advertising". After returning to England, following her marriage to the Lord of Trevelver Castle, near Cant Cove, whilst her husband overhauled the Castle Estates and the Castle Brewery, his wife devoted her time to improving the marketing of the family businesses. She soon realised that publicising the region helped the family businesses grow outside Cornwall, as well as the wider community, and expanded her marketing and social activities (including her famous Chelsea parties). Her husband being prominent in local politics was also a great help. Later, her equally intelligent, vivacious, and beautiful daughter, who became involved in the London scene of the "Swinging Sixties" as well as her mother, brought a younger generation of pop musicians, photographers and artists to the area hosting parties in a reserved carriage of the 00.15 from Waterloo to Penmayne (arrival 07.26), one of the Southern Region's very latest Mark II FKs being allocated for her, thanks to her mother's friendship with the General Manager of the SR at Waterloo! (The carriage gangway door to the adjoining Maunsell 3L set (BSK+CK+BSK)+loose SK being locked.) One of the SR's new RMB Mini Buffets (S1849-52) has even been known to appear, next to the FK, upgraded to 1st class, its tables complete with starched damask tableclothes and the finest cutlery, crystal glasses and china porcelain from the family's Chelsea townhouse, overseen by the family's formidable Head Butler (ex-SAS) and staffed by the chef and his assistants from "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, with casks / barrels of Castle Brewery, Headland Brewery and Kronenbourg on tap together with a selection of fine wines supplied by an up and coming Chelsea wine merchant, Giles (also ex-SAS), and mineral water from a spring on, where else, the Castle Estates! Meanwhile, her dissolute brother 'manages' "The Railway Hotel" famous for its restaurant's excellent cuisine but notorious for its popularity with couples wanting to escape the possibility of being seen together and, with his German hippy wife, Brigita, the restaurant on a rock off the beach at Penmayne, (very popular with the Pink Floyd), famous for its Greek cuisine, never closing and serving alcohol at all hours of the summer season! The fact that the Restaurant on the Rock is cut off every high tide adds to its appeal. An ex-GWR semaphore signal mounted on the rock outside the white-washed restaurant signals (literally) when it is open.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:33:53 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #948 on: November 21, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
What superb imagination you have :thumbsup:
It makes everything seem so real and elevates the reality of a model to almost reality.
Well done :claphappy:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #949 on: November 21, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
Great stuff Chris.   :thumbsup:
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #950 on: November 21, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Many thanks Mito and Martin. Over Christmas I plan to write up (on the layout planning thread) the full history of the Wadebridge to Penmayne Railway and the part played by the Lords of Trevelver Castle in the development of the area and its railways. I will also write more of the family's current (1960s) members, the Castle Estates, the Castle Brewery, the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group and how the "Atlantic Coast Express" kept running behind Bulleid Light Pacifics until 1968 (the end of steam ln BR)!

As far as possible, the locomotives and rolling stock are those that could be seen in the Wadebridge are between 1961 and 1968. The working timetables are based on those for Padstow to Wadebridge with WR trains and other through trains added from a Newquay summer weekend timetable of the period to add WR trains to the SR ones. The result is probably the most intensively worked single line railway ever! This has involved an investment in a ridiculous amount of rolling stock but this is a layout that is planned to last me for the rest of my life.

It all began when I tried to work out how a North Cornwall railway line could have survived closure, how the "Atlantic Coast Express" could have escaped the axe in 1964 and kept running (at least in the summer) behind Bulleid Light Pacifics until 1967 (and the end of steam on the SR) and even beyond to 1968 (with preserved steam like 4472 "Flying Scotsman" did): the answer better marketing and more passengers and freight and more private involvement in the operation of a tourist railway still run by BR. The back story for those answers: an energetic rich, talented and politically and socially influential local family who believed in investing in and promoting the area, its economy, and its railway. Being a fan of the "Swinging Sixties" there is plenty of background details available. Trains did not run in isolation, they served an area, carried people, and transported goods in and out and there should be reasons for this traffic, in my opinion. (But, then, this is my railway and I have no wish to tell others how to run theirs!) Penmayne HAD to be a much bigger tourist attraction than Padstow was in the 1960s (in fact, like it is now, more than 50 years later) to keep the line open; so I imagined that it was developed like Newquay which required the line to Penmayne (near Rock, opposite Padstow) opening much earlier than the line to Padstow did (1899!). And that required wealthy and forward looking local backing . . . After all, the Wadebridge-Dunmere line opened in 1834!

Cant Cove and Penmayne were conceived as a working model which could be used to tell stories (hence my enormous number of (mainly German) N Scale figures and vehicles who will be posed on the layout to tell stories. Lady Penelope and her husband have already appeared; their daughter will soon.

Martin of Port Perran and Trepol Bay is a great inspiration with his stories of the people who 'live' and work in these parts of North Cornwall. Jon of Weaver Cove is also an enthusiastic member and others, too, as far as Warwickshire (John with Claverdon) have joined in the tales of the Castle Estates, the Castle Brewery, and the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:16:41 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »
Many thanks Mito and Martin. Over Christmas I plan to write up (on the layout planning thread) the full history of the Wadebridge to Penmayne Railway and the part played by the Lords of Trevelver Castle in the development of the area and its railways. I will also write more of the family's current (1960s) members, the Castle Estates, the Castle Brewery, the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group and how the "Atlantic Coast Express" kept running behind Bulleid Light Pacifics until 1968 (the end of steam ln BR)!

As far as possible, the locomotives and rolling stock are those that could be seen in the Wadebridge are between 1961 and 1968. The working timetables are based on those for Padstow to Wadebridge with WR trains and other through trains added from a Newquay summer weekend timetable of the period to add WR trains to the SR ones. The result is probably the most intensively worked single line railway ever! This has involved an investment in a ridiculous amount of rolling stock but this is a layout that is planned to last me for the rest of my life.

It all began when I tried to work out how a North Cornwall railway line could have survived closure, how the "Atlantic Coast Express" could have escaped the axe in 1964 and kept running (at least in the summer) behind Bulleid Light Pacifics until 1967 (and the end of steam on the SR) and even beyond to 1968 (with preserved steam like 4472 "Flying Scotsman" did): the answer better marketing and more passengers and freight and more private involvement in the operation of a tourist railway still run by BR. The back story for those answers: an energetic rich, talented and politically and socially influential local family who believed in investing in and promoting the area, its economy, and its railway. Being a fan of the "Swinging Sixties" there is plenty of background details available. Trains did not run in isolation, they served an area, carried people, and transported goods in and out and there should be reasons for this traffic, in my opinion. (But, then, this is my railway and I have no wish to tell others how to run theirs!) Penmayne HAD to be a much bigger tourist attraction than Padstow was in the 1960s (in fact, like it is now, more than 50 years later) to keep the line open; so I imagined that it was developed like Newquay which required the line to Penmayne (near Rock, opposite Padstow) opening much earlier than the line to Padstow did (1899!). And that required wealthy and forward looking local backing . . . After all, the Wadebridge-Dunmere line opened in 1834!

Cant Cove and Penmayne were conceived as a working model which could be used to tell stories (hence my enormous number of (mainly German) N Scale figures and vehicles who will be posed on the layout to tell stories. Lady Penelope and her husband have already appeared; their daughter will soon.

Martin of Port Perran and Trepol Bay is a great inspiration with his stories of the people who 'live' and work in these parts of North Cornwall. Jon of Weaver Cove is also an enthusiastic member and others, too, as far as Warwickshire have joined in the tales of the Castle Estates, the Castle Brewery, and the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group.

I love the back story and its great to be able to join in this with the Cove. It also gives the Cove its only little back story which is great as I'm not so good on that part lol.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #952 on: November 21, 2014, 10:12:08 PM »
Many thanks, Jon. Your superbly landscaped Weaver Cove is another great inspiration for Cant Cove. I will be happy to write up (with you) the story of the line through Weaver Cove and its link to the Wadebridge to Penmayne and Trepol Bay lines (with Martin). I'm very happy that you're part of our stories about North Cornwall and its railways (in our alternative North Cornwall, that is).

I will have an agreed summary of the Weaver Cove back history ready for you when you exhibit it.

Offline jd

• Awards
« Reply #953 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »
Many thanks, Jon. Your superbly landscaped Weaver Cove is another great inspiration for Cant Cove. I will be happy to write up (with you) the story of the line through Weaver Cove and its link to the Wadebridge to Penmayne and Trepol Bay lines (with Martin). I'm very happy that you're part of our stories about North Cornwall and its railways (in our alternative North Cornwall, that is).

I will have an agreed summary of the Weaver Cove back history ready for you when you exhibit it.

Well you have till October 2015 lol so no rush lol

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #954 on: November 21, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »
That's an incredible back story you've devised Chris. I thought I'd done a decent job with the back story to Market Havering but yours beats mine into a cocked hat. Great imagination.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #955 on: November 22, 2014, 06:08:32 AM »
Many thanks, Trevor. Your detailed history of the Market Havering line also inspired me when I first read it but, last year, I was too busy with the Working Timetable (which should have been the first thing / think I did) to write down the detailed history of the Wadebridge to Penmayne line. Over the year the other stories developed in my head and on this thread encouraged by Martin of Port Perran and Trepol Bay and Jon of Weaver Cove (other Cornish lines) as well as others modelling the WR as far as Bristol and North Warwickshire. I laso have read and studied a lot of books on the railways of North Cornwall and the West Country as well as, via the Internet, the local scenery and history. I can 'see' all the people and places in my head. Many years ago I did a lot of research for a book set on a fictional island off Cornwall and this helped too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:24:00 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #956 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
The Wadebridge yardmaster has confirmed that, after the delay caused by the WR relaying the track between Wadebridge and Trepol Bay, the wagons sent from Cant Cove, including those for the Headland Brewery, are finally on their way. (The ex-GWR diesel railcar and its tail load were allowed through before the PWM gang from Cant Cove PWM depot got to work using their new Class 14 on loan to Penmayne from St. Blazey who had it on loan from Bristol Bath Road!) The PWM gang were ordered to have the line upgraded ready for the Christmas steam specials between Penmayne - Wadebridge - Trepol Bay and return with some running via Weaver Cove one way.

Due to the passed steam loco. crews not having 'signed' for Weaver Cove it looks like the specials passing one way through Weaver Cove will, this season, have to be diesel hauled with diesel locos. replacing steam ones at Weaver Cove Junction (in the north) and St. Eval Junction (in the south) or a connecting diesel railcar shuttle with a special cask ale bar in the guard's department supplied courtesy of the Castle and Headland breweries with Port Perran Cornish Pasties. A varied selection of diesel and steam power has, however, been promised and enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting the confirmed details. A rake of SR Green and one of WR chocolate and cream mainline stock has been promised from Penmayne and WR stock from Port Perran and SR stock from Trepol Bay. The Penmayne rakes will both include a RMB Mini Buffet serving Castle Brewery Old Strong Winter Ale (ABV - 5.5%) and Christmas Ale (ABV 7%) on draught together with a Headland Brewery special ale brewed to commemorate these special trains details of which will be announced at the beginning of the season. Penmayne Pasty Co. Cornish Pasties served hot will also feature on the menu. It is rumoured that Father Christmas and his unusually attractive elves will also appear!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:54:51 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline jd

• Awards
« Reply #957 on: November 23, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »
I was looking at some of my pictures and I thought you might like this Chris.

Jon

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #958 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
Many thanks, Jon, that's a great action shot. Actually, I have two "Castles": 7004 "Eastnor Castle" with double chimney and 4096 "Highclere Castle" (withdrawn: 09/02/1963) with single chimney but they are at the back of the queue for DCC-fitting and one or both may be renumbered and renamed (7022 "Hereford Castle" being a likely choice for 7004) being bought from BR WR after withdrawal and subsequently operated by the Cornish Loco. Preservation Group. (In 1959, Laira still had 10 allocated.) However, the last three Castle class locos. to be withdrawn were all finally allocated to Gloucester shed (85B), with 5042 "Winchester Castle" and 7022 "Hereford Castle" both being withdrawn in June 1965 whilst the very last to be withdrawn was No. 7029 "Clun Castle" in December 1965, which worked the last steam train out of Paddington on 27 November 1965 and is preserved. On 4 March 1967, preserved "Clun Castle" and No. 4079 "Pendennis Castle" hauled specials from Banbury and Oxford respectively to Chester, to mark the end of through trains between Paddington and Birkenhead. Eight Castles survive in preservation.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #959 on: November 23, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
The first details of the recently overhauled (at Eastleigh Works) special 'pool' of unrebuilt Bulleid Light Pacifics to work the "Atlantic Coast Express" in the summer 1965 season and local and long distance special trains have just been announced by BR SR at Waterloo, the 'Fat Controller' from divisional headquarters at Plymouth, and the Cornish Loco. Preservation Group whose volunteer crews will clean and service them in Cornwall at Cant Cove and Penmayne. CLPG members who are also BR SR and WR drivers, firemen and loco. inspectors will drive and fire them. The locomotives' overhaul and coal are proudly sponsored by the Castle Brewery, Trevelver Castle, Cant Cove. The agreement is set to last until the scheduled end of SR steam in 1967.

The four locos. are (with real life details):
34007 “Wadebridge” (withdrawn: October 1965; now preserved);
34015 “Exmouth” (at Padstow, 1964, hauled the last “ACE”; withdrawn: April 1967);
34065 “Hurricane” (withdrawn: April 1964);
34066 “Spitfire” (at Wadebridge, 1964; withdrawn: September 1966);

Additionally, a reservation has been placed on:
34107 “Blandford Forum” (on “ACE”, 1964; withdrawn: September 1964);
If the specials raise enough funds, 34107 will be bought as a spare back-up loco. and will be moved to Penmayne for safe keeping. As bookings for the specials are already exceeding the most optimistic expectations, a reservation has also been placed on 34023 “Blackmoor Vale” (at Padstow, 5th September 1964, hauled the last UP “ACE”; withdrawn: July 1967; also now preserved). As a backup, 34036 “Westward Ho!” (withdrawn July 1967) is also being considered.

Most of the unrebuilt Bulleid Light Pacifics were withdrawn before the end of steam on the Southern Region but seven survived until until July 1967, when the last steam locomotives on the Southern Region were withdrawn. The initial four, rising to six, unrebuilt Bulleid Light Pacifics for summer services to Penmayne from Summer 1965 to 1967 are not necessarily the same as these last seven.

Additional announcements have been made concerning other preserved steam ex-GWR, ex-LSWR and ex-SR locos. in the North Cornwall area (Port Perran, Trepol Bay, and Weaver Cove) and sponsorship by the Headland Brewery, Trepol Bay.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:49:35 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything