!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 489619 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2014, 09:28:55 PM »
Yes Chris, that works well for the bufferstops. Might needs a little "trial & error" to get it just so. Painting the little white lamp on the top requires care - especially the red dot for the glass lens !

Indeed-mixing paint is a good way to get authentic colours. I use acrylics for most things.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:34 PM »
Thanks, Martin. As I'm used to Humbrol paints, I will use what I've just bought but, when they've been used up will switch to acrylics.

Tomorrow, I hope to make the cardboard mockups of Cant Cove station buildings. Kit construction and painting will have to wait until next month, I think. I will see how much free time I will get the next two weeks. I will begin by spraying everything with an undercoat of Tamiya Grey. (Note to self: must collect a LOT of newspaper and look online for how to use aerosol paint for such purposes!)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
Hope you will be posting images of those mock-ups for us to have a  little look at.
I may well purchase the baseboard for Trepol Bay in the next few weeks (possibly wait till after Lostwithiel Show) so that I can start to think about track formations etc.
I've als got to decide exactly how I connect the extension to Port Perran which will probably be a spur off the fiddle yard at the back.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
Yes, Martin, I will be posting as many pictures and descriptions as possible to help others in the same way that I have been helped. I will try not to assume any level of pre-existing knowledge and explain what, how, and why I am doing things including the mistakes I make.

The principal problem I face is that U.K. postal regulations prevent the posting of paints and glues (glues I can get from local model shops and general enamel and acrylic paints but not British railway specific ones). Therefore, I will try German online suppliers in the hope that I can order from them as I don't think the German postal services have such restrictions and post is quicker, in any case. Alternatively, I will have to buy generic dark green and cream (I have a Humbrol tinlet of cream) and mix as close an approximation as I can get to BR SR Green and Cream. Of course fading due to sunlight and the sea air would affect the colours anyway, colours in the 1960s not being as long-lasting as they are today. Judging colours from a colour photo on a PC screen is problematic, too; however, I have a nice colour photo of Padstow station freshly repainted in BR SR colours in the 1960s that I can use. Then there is the affect of scale on coloured objects to take into account (see below).

In practice, the so-called scale effect requires a proportion of white paint to be added to the basic colour in order to reduce its chromacity, particularly if your model is to be painted in very dark colours and is especially relevant for small-scale models as the scale viewing distance is much greater for N Scale than 00 Scale. the actual proportions of white paint added will depend partly on the scale of the model, and largely according to the personal preference of the modeller. Therefore, I will be adding some matt white to the US Army Olive Drab I bought for my N Scale Jeep and trailer (for Cant Cove) to lighten the colour. So, I think I can get away with mixing my own BR SR Green and Cream colours.

The reason for the delay in my baseboard is that i will only, my landlord informs me, be paying for the cost of materials. Which is very kind. Although the baseboard should be available for delivery, next week, I won't have uninterrupted free time until the beginning of July to work on it so may delay delivery until the end of this month.

Connecting the extension to Trepol Bay from Port Perran as a spur off the fiddle yard at the back sounds a very good idea. The fiddle yard can then become Wadebridge, Exeter, Exmouth Junction, Waterloo, or Paddington, as required and feed both lines as well as allowing interworking 'via Wadebridge' which would add to the operating interest and would, IMHO, make the most geographical sense, particularly, if you want to have a BCK off the "Atlantic Coast Express" running to Trepol Bay as Wadebridge makes much better operating sense than Padstow as the place where it would be attached / added.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Another potential source of traffic for Cant Cove (and Penmayne) as well as Trepol Bay is the 14 SR 4-wheel luggage vans (I presume SR CCTs) fitted internally with hooks for bicycles in 1951 for use on boat trains for use by cyclists going on holiday. They had a bicycle stencilled on the sides, top right corner. Apart from boat trains one was used for new bicycles Ashford to London. They reverted to normal use in 1969. So, I think one each for the use of cyclists to explore the beautiful countryside around Cant Cove and Trepol Bay would be good! (I already gave tree N Scale cyclists.) Now, I need to find a picture of such a Cycle Van.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
The Cycle Vans were the SR 4-wheel PMVs not CCTs. I believe that the PMVs will also be available in N, soon, though.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
Cambridge Custom Transfers Sheet BL97 - BR Ex-GWR Dias. P19, P22, P25; Ex-SR Dias. 3091, 3092, 3094, 3101, 3103, 3105 4-wheeled passenger brake, CCT & PMV vans; sufficient for 26 vans; has the stencilled cycle symbols for the bike vans.

2mm scale price is 7.00

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2014, 01:45:13 PM »
There is a photo. of a SR Cycle Van, I've been told, in the Gould book 'SR Passenger Vans' and King 'An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches', the same photo (by H. Casserley). Alas, I have neither book.

Interestingly, Czech Railways still has diesel railbus trailers fitted out as Cycle Vans used in the summer. Imagining BR having built Cycle Vans for use with Pacers!

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »

Slightly off topic, but a few years ago, to encourage people to use bikes rather than cars in the town centre, Ipswich buses ran a double decker bus that towed a trailer for cycles.
It had a really catchy appropriate name, but was so memorable I have forgotten it  :D

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »
Suffolk Buscycle !
I didn't know, I "googled" it.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2014, 09:32:39 PM »
SR CCTs had opening end doors, with four vents. The forthcoming Graham Farish SR PMV is OK for a Cycle Van; so I will buy a second one (when they are available) and buy the transfers to convert my first SR PMV to a SR Cycle Van for tourists arriving on through trains from Waterloo to Penmayne from where the cyclists will have to cycle, or take the summer only two-car (twin brake end coaches) Cant Cove Shuttle, to Cant Cove.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »
Alas, no time to build the Cant Cove station mockups, today. I hope that I will have some free time, next week.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2014, 11:04:44 PM »
At last progress!

The baseboard for Cant Cove arrived, this afternoon, brought by my landlord in his company's big van!

Despite careful measurements the board is both slightly too long (the cardboard template fits under the bed at 194cm long but the board at the same length does not -- it has to be slid under the bed diagonally) and the the cover too tall (because of the castor wheels underneath the baseboard). So, it's gone away to be shortened slightly (down to just under 190cm) and the castors repositioned to reduce the overall height of the board with the cover on (which also needs handles fitted and the hand holes covered up -- to keep dust out), which is not a problem as it was already as long as it could be to fit through doors and in the lift. (The board should return in a week or so for fitting the polystyrene insulating sheets for building up the trackbase and scenery.)

I don't mind losing a few cm / inches off one end. (I can, simply, shorten the station slightly which is a decent length, with platforms about 80cm, about 16 wagons, or about 5 coaches long, without a loco. 2 coaches will be the norm for local services and 4 -5 for London trains, 5 - 6 for summer specials as the station loops are much longer than the platforms and, in fact, they platforms could be extended by about 10cm). The width of the board, however, is very limited (74cm) so the Castle Estate branch will be VERY short before it disappears behind the back scene into the fiddle yard which has a very short headshunt (about 30cm; i.e. 6 wagons! Even less with a small loco.) However, I think I can move the fiddle yard entrance point to the left which will enable me to lengthen the headshunt somewhat.

I will post pictures, tomorrow.

Time for bed.

I have also been sorting out N Scale plans for the station buildings and the LSWR Type 4 signalbox so that I can make cardboard mockups before commencing building in plastic knowing what goes where and what parts I still need to buy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:58:52 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: cm for mm! »

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the layout come to life, Chris!

Dave G

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
Some progress at last then Chris.

I'm beginning to wish that I had somebody professional make up my boards, as I am beginning to see that my carpentry skills were not up to scratch.
I didn't really have a clear idea of what I was supposed to be making.
Never mind, they will just have to do now as I have got too far with the layout to start again.
Lessons learned for next time though....

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything