!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 617016 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #750 on: October 12, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
Many thanks, Martin. Alas, my graphics skills are limited to editing others' handiwork so the pixie and ice creams were 'borrowed' from the Internet then edited together and tidied up and the background blue substituted which is a reasonable match for Castle Estates blue. Once all my graphics are done, I will print together on photographic paper the various sized advertising posters, signs and boards.

The schools train is a great idea. I'm guessing that, like Penmayne (as had Padstow), Port Perran has a grammar school taking schoolchildren from the surrounding district who travel by train (as I did from 11-18 but to Worcester). My model school term school train (d. 16.20 from Wadebridge, arrives at Cant Cove at 16.29 where it waits 2 minutes to allow the 09.30 from Paddington, booked for a Manor or, later, a Class 35, from Bodmin General, arriving at Wadebridge at 16.23, to pass it before departing for Penmayne a. 16.35 two minutes behind the Paddington train) will also be hauled by a pannier or prairie tank in the early 1960s and a Class 22 or Class 35 in the later 1960s. The trainspotting scholars try to get to Wadebridge before 16.14 on Fridays in summer to see the summer timetable relief train from Waterloo behind a Bulleid Light Pacific depart due into Penmayne at 16.23. My school train will, usually, be two old carriages, too. Maybe Bulleids? Later, when they become available two Maunsells? But I would like to model the three coach mixed train behind a Class 22: BR SR Green Mark I CK and Bulleid SK plus a Hawksworth BSK with maroon end, too. 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #751 on: October 13, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
Cant Cove and Penmayne benefit from good marketing (Lady Penelope, before her marriage to the Lord of Trevelver Castle, worked as the PA to David Ogilvy who was widely hailed as "The Father of Advertising"; in 1962, Time called him "the most sought-after wizard in today's advertising industry") and local and county council support, not to mention help from Trevelver Castle and its Castle Estates and Castle Brewery.

An ex-GWR diesel railcar, W30W, was refurbished at Worcester depot by BR WR and moved to Penmayne for off-peak local services and specials for group hire (including to Port Perran and Trepol Bay), after local complaints of old, dirty carriages! (Must have been those old Maunsells.) Another ex-GWR diesel railcar, preserved in GWR livery, will also run on summer specials from Bodmin GWS depot (along with preserved GWR steam tank locos). A new Class 122 diesel railcar is also being provided by BR WR from Plymouth Laira; not to mention Class 22 and Class 35 diesel locomotives. At Lady Penelope's insistence, the WR has provided Penmayne TRSMD with a carriage washer to keep trains clean, too! Steam services will still run, however, for enthusiasts, locally supported by the Cornish Loco. Preservation Society.

Ex-GWR Railcars outside Worcester Carriage Paintshop after overhaul (early 1960s) for use from Penmayne and Port Perran:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:50:32 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #752 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »
Lady Penelope often hosts the BRB Chairman and the Chairmen of the SR and WR at her Chelsea parties, and Trevelver Castle's two main businesses are investing in their own wagons, as we've seen. (Two more wagons arrived, this morning for the attention of the Cornish Loco. Pres. Group. Pictures, later.)

Lady Penelope prefers the SR (she likes the elegant Green livery and Waterloo is SO more convenient for Chelsea, dahling!) whilst her husband, like his father and grandfather, is a (G)WR man through and through. After hearing that one of the SR's brand new Mk2 FKs (should be running by the end of this year, courtesy of Pauline McKenna) was going to be allocated to the 8.30 from Penmayne to Waterloo, Paddington promised to allocate Chocolate & Cream Mk1s with the brand new Swindon-designed smooth riding B4 bogies (I just bought 4 pairs of B4 bogies on eBay) for the 10.00 from Penmayne to Paddington. The SR has countered by allocating some of its brand new Mk 1 BCKs (the last to be built and ordered for the "Atlantic Coast Express") to the 8.00 Summer only from Penmayne to Waterloo as well as the 8.30! (Rumour has it that they will also be fitted with B4 bogies -- true, I have 2 Minitrix BR SR Green BCKs with B4 bogies). Isn't competition wonderful! 8-)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:57:00 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #753 on: October 14, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »
Good morning from a slightly overcast Cant Cove. The official photographer and his blonde assistant have been down to Cant Cove to take some pictures of the latest wagons sold to the Castle Estates which are in for repair and repainting by the hard-working members of the Cornish Loco. Preservation Group:

First, the completed three wagons for services to Trepol Bay. The two open wagons, containing crates of spare parts and firewood for the fireplace in the shed workshop, have yet to be unloaded:

The latest two wagons to arrive:

The foreman can be seen in the corner, sitting on some timber, waiting for the photographers to finish!

The photographers have been asked to take photographs of two wagons which have just arrived from the Castle Estates sidings (with new wagons arriving, the yard foreman at the Castle Estates has had to despatch any duplicate wagons found in the sidings) for an inspection before being sent off on the 11.10 (d) weekdays' goods from Penmayne, arriving at Wadebridge at 11:17 (connecting services to Port Perran, Trepol Bay, and Weaver Cove):

The Conflat wagon has been confirmed for onward delivery to Weaver Cove after it arrives at Wadebridge whilst the Worthington van is stabled at Cant Cove sidings, for now.

The two photographers have had their bases replaced with much thinner, more transparent plastic (from plastic containers which had tomatoes in from a local supermarket, which is what I have used before) instead of the thicker offcuts from Ratio plastic window sheets (not suitable at all).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:07:46 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #754 on: October 14, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
A new, long-term kit-bashing project will begin soon: the iconic "Station Hotel" for Cant Cove. Like the loco. shed., it will have interior detailing and provision for the fitting of interior lighting (but not as sophisticated as Lemland, I'm afraid). This is an expensive kit with a LOT of parts and I will not be rushing into converting it. Based on my experience of kit-bashing the loco. shed I need to spend plenty of time and constructing mock-ups before starting work on it.

After studying suitable German kits, I have bought this one: Faller 2275 N Eckhaus [corner building] "Hotel Sonne" [Hotel Sun] which, suitably adapted should make the hotel that I have in mind.

The main changes will be to the roofs (substitute tiles and remove ornamental metal work -- maybe, use it for new room balconies? -- add dormer windows in the roof for more rooms, modify the ornamental 'gable') and the replacement of the 'onion dome' cupola from roof base level with a windowed four-sided tower with a small spire on top. The two 'blind' walls will be replaced with windowed stone walls (sourcing suitable windows may be a problem) and the more florid decorative details on the building will be removed. The ground floor is exactly what I had envisaged and will only need larger signboards and suitable signage adding. However, the interior will need to be fitted for the ground (and other floors). 'Lofty' will be selling "Cornish Pixie" dairy ice creams at the pavement cafe outside. I have some furniture and figures for various rooms but they must remain secret!

The two large windows of the rooms facing the sea (and the railway station and yard) will need to have balconies added and, ideally, somehow, I would like to match them with the balconies supplied for the side windows. If anyone knows of some suitable N Scale balustrades?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:05:10 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #755 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Looking forward to this. Seems like a big and challenging hob to me but I'm sure it will look great when done.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #756 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
Thanks, Martin. It may well be a job for the Christmas / New Year break; which gives me plenty of time to mull things over and construct some cardboard mockups. I think it will be fine to replace the 'blind' walls with plain stone walls (but with added windows) as these would not be the sides seen from the road by the arriving guests.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #757 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
I'm guessing the onion dome will be the first piece left in the box  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #758 on: October 14, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
I'm guessing the onion dome will be the first piece left in the box  :D

It certainly will be! 8-)

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #759 on: October 14, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the hotel progress Chris.

Best of luck.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #760 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »
I find that Faller kits are very good for price and quality. The only thing that lets them down to my mind is the colour of the plastics. Change/spray a basic colour over the top and they become a good kits to bash/modify.
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #761 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:10 PM »
The first task is to select appropriate plastic rough stone wall sheets big enough to replace the two 'blind' side walls. I'm open to recommendations.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:06:06 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #762 on: October 14, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
Thank you, Paddy and Jon. I certainly agree with you, Jon, about the need to paint the Faller kits rather than leave them in their the 'gaudy' plastic colours. I will spray all the parts with Tamiya matt grey plastic undercoat (as I have done with all my plastic kits and plastic sheets).

I made enough mistakes (fortunately all correctable) with the relatively simple task of kit-bashing the loco. shed so this hotel conversion needs to be a slow, carefully thought out process.

I will document it, here, though, in the hope that others may learn from my errors and give advice.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #763 on: October 14, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
The Wadebridge yardmaster has just telephoned his colleague at Cant Cove to confirm that the BR Conflat, with Furniture Container, has left on a special goods train to Weaver Cove.

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #764 on: October 14, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
The Wadebridge yardmaster has just telephoned his colleague at Cant Cove to confirm that the BR Conflat, with Furniture Container, has left on a special goods train to Weaver Cove.

Thanks Chris I was told today it will be passing through on its way up to station and goods yards where it will be picked up and join a rake of conflats from Plymouth up to Exeter

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal