!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 523352 times)

Safety Engineer and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #720 on: October 08, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »
Rule 1 ??

Rule one would imply that it's OK to run everything but the kitchen sink; however from the photos I see the running is being done *on* the kitchen sink, which is an intepretation I wasn't previously aware of.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:36:02 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
Rule 1 ??

Rule one would imply that it's OK to run everything but the kitchen sink; however from the photos I see the running is being done *on* the kitchen sink, which is an intepretation I wasn't previously aware of.

Chris - you don't need the baseboard !!  Build the whole thing on your worktop! The sink will make a great deep water harbour for Cant Cove !! ::)

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
I'm trying to build up a collection of SR vans and wagons to match my SR coaches. I will, therefore, return to my two metal kit SR vans vans, later. If I can do a satisfactory job on them I'll buy some more as well as ex-GWR wagon / van body kits as I have plenty of suitable Peco chassis kits ready for them!

When I was going through my wagons' box to find my china clay wagons to take a photo., I discovered that I have a duplicate boxed Peco Conflat with BR furniture container and a duplicate boxed Peco Worthington No. 3 van, both in very good condition. (If anyone wants to buy them for a good price, please, send me a PM.)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #723 on: October 08, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »
Thanks, guys. 8-) The sink worktop is about the only free, flat space with good natural lighting so I often use it for train photos. I think real water is best avoided on a N Scale layout.

I have the baseboard but it needs the insulated board sections fitted before I can lay the track and points. I also have yet to buy a Hex Frog Juicer and a DCC Controller (part-paid for). I can only work on the actual layout in holiday time as I need long uninterrupted periods to work (I hate stop-start working on major tasks). In termtime, if I can grab a few minutes to work on a model, then I'm happy (I find it very relaxing).

The next plan is to kit-bash "The Station Hotel", notorious among the young (and not so-young) London 'Smart Set'. They often travel down in reserved compartments in the CK on the 00.15 from Waterloo, on Friday nights, after partying in Chelsea, arriving at Penmayne at 07.26 from where a prebooked station taxi whisks them to the "Station Hotel" at Cant Cove. (Expresses don't stop at Cant Cove, normally.)

I know most people are eager to get the track laid but my priority is the scenic elements around which the track will be laid. Cant Cove is very much conceived as a working diorama telling stories. My hands, alas, will not always be so dextrous!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:12:37 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #724 on: October 08, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »
Time for a break, this afternoon: I continued painting wagons and painted some timber, planks, and crates to go into them. Pictures, tomorrow.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #725 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »
It's morning in Cant Cove loco. shed and Sid the Surveyor is waiting for the local newspaper's photographer to arrive to take some pictures of the newly overhauled and repainted Castle Estates wagons with loads ready to be sent on to Wadebridge.

Later, I will be making a transfer sheet with Castle Brewery and Castle Estates branding for wagons and vans plus signs for buildings in yellow and white lettering respectively. (Probably over Christmas.)

In view of the reconstruction of the harbour wall at Penmayne, and the ability for larger ships to use Trepol Bay's Harbour, the General Manager of the Castle Estates has just signed agreements with BR SR and WR to use the timetabled goods train service to / from Wadebridge to Port Perran and Trepol Bay and with the Trepol Bay Harbour authority for imports / exports from the Castle Estates. Accordingly, the yardmaster at Wadebridge has sent out a request for wagons suitable for sale to the Castle Estates to cope with this regular traffic. Until then, BR SR and WR wagons will be used. A search has also begun for a suitable small office building for the Castle Estates' goods agent at Trepol Bay. (I will have a few for Martin to choose from once he is ready for them.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:10:44 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: October 09, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
Lovely pictures Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #727 on: October 09, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »
Lovely pictures Chris.

Many thanks, Martin. Makes a very nice break from student assignments and academic meetings! 8-)

Tomorrow, the next batch of Castle Estates' wagons will be ready for detailed painting.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #728 on: October 09, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
Great work Chris.  Did you make the wagon loads?

Paddy

HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #729 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
Many thanks, Paddy. No, the planks are the Peco wagon load and the larger crates are from a U.S. seller. All I did was to paint them with diluted Humbrol enamel brown paint. That said, I was very pleased at how the planks came out and the large crates. The smaller boxes which are supposed to be fishboxes are poorly moulded small boxes from a U.K. seller. The wagon load and large crates were too 'plasticy' and yellow.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:23:28 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #730 on: October 10, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
Very nice work there Chris and I love the back story.

You mentioned China Clay wagons in your earlier post. Which make are you using and any chance of a picture of them ?
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #731 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
Empty china clay wagons were always moved with the hoods on btw - a wet empty clayhood is almost as bad news as a wet full one.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #732 on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
Empty china clay wagons were always moved with the hoods on btw - a wet empty clayhood is almost as bad news as a wet full one.

Many thanks, Alan. I had not thought about that. The wagons did come with their tarpaulin covers so I will have to put them on, then.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #733 on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
Very nice work there Chris and I love the back story.

You mentioned China Clay wagons in your earlier post. Which make are you using and any chance of a picture of them ?

Thanks, Trevor. If you scroll up a few posts you'll see my three china clay wagons behind one of my 'Hymeks' with one of my ex-LNER 'Wadebridge' brakevans made for a fellow NGS member, Jon's, Weaver Cove layout. My china clay wagons are:

377-475Z Graham Farish China Clay 5 Plank Wagon Flat Triple Pack, 34.99
Contains 3 x UCV Wagons with original axle box in BR Bauxite livery and weathered finish complete with flat style tarpaulin. [Appropriate for my 1960s layout. I have left the tarpaulins off but, as Alan has kindly pointed out this is a major error.]
Running numbers B743689, B743790 and B743804.
Totally new tooling exclusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre.
http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_40806.jpg

It is also possible to buy:
377-476Z Graham Farish China Clay 5 Plank Wagon Tent Triple Pack, 34.99
Contains 3 x UCV Wagons with original axle box in BR Bauxite livery and weathered finish complete with tent style tarpaulin.  Running numbers B743142, B743169 and B743113.
Totally new tooling exclusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre.
http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_40805.jpg

I suppose I could buy these and make some old style flat tarpaulin covers, instead if I wanted three more.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #734 on: October 10, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »
I had time to do a little more model wagon, crate and building painting. Unfortunately, I discovered that I had broken the corner off one of the vans with the corner of the dust cover over it! So, I have superglued on a replacement piece. I also glued transparent bases on my two photographers as I'm always mentioning them. Alas, I cut one piece too short and had to superglue another piece on it to stop the figure falling over. Pictures, tomorrow, I hope.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here