!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 655248 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6825 on: August 03, 2020, 08:51:00 AM »
Hi Chris,

Was thinking about the characters for my new Estepera Nord layout over the Weekend and the links to Cornwall. Whilst doing so I also thought that we hadn't heard from you for a while and was going to ask if you were OK so glad you are.

Looking forward to future posts and also might need to ask you about some of your characters and my AWOL ones. Am not hassling you and you don't have to tell or finish the story but just as a what the future holds type of thing if that makes sense.

Take care.

Cheers, Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6826 on: August 03, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
Hi Chris,

Was thinking about the characters for my new Estepera Nord layout over the Weekend and the links to Cornwall. Whilst doing so I also thought that we hadn't heard from you for a while and was going to ask if you were OK so glad you are.

Looking forward to future posts and also might need to ask you about some of your characters and my AWOL ones. Am not hassling you and you don't have to tell or finish the story but just as a what the future holds type of thing if that makes sense.

Take care.

Cheers, Chris (weave)  :beers:

Thanks, Chris (Weave). I was wondering about you, too. I hope that all is well. Did you receive that CIWL Sleeper model?

When I am away, soon, I plan to conclude the story but, for now, am busy in Prague.

Stay safe and well.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6827 on: August 03, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »
Courtesy of the TARDIS, we are travelling back to 1958 and the earliest days of diesels on BR SR in the Southwest: the Plymouth Friary Drewry 0-6-0 Diesel Shunters (later Class 04s).

Back in the period autumn 1957 to late 1961 / early 1962, after the WR had taken over the ex-SR shed of Plymouth (Friary) (72D having become WR 83H, 2.58), four ex-SR Drewry 0-6-0 diesel shunters (later, Class 04s) were taken over, briefly, D2255; and D2257-9. So, one of my Class 04s, represents the first Cant Cove diesel pilot, (renumbered by Gideon) as 11225 which has been lent by Exmouth Junction to Cant Cove due to complaints by the management of "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, about the use of a steam loco. in the nearby station yard.

D2255, 11225, 08/10/1957, Plymouth Friary. TO: 73F Ashford Chart Leacon 30/12/1961. Withdrawn: 03/03/1968

D2257, 11227, 28/09/1957, Plymouth Friary. TO: 73F Ashford Chart Leacon 30/12/1961. Withdrawn: 14/01/1968

D2258, 11228, 28/09/1957, Plymouth Friary. TO: 73C Hither Green 01/02/1962. Withdrawn: 05/09/1970

D2259, 11229, 28/09/1957, Plymouth Friary. TO: 73C Hither Green 01/02/1962. Withdrawn: 22/12/1968

PLYMOUTH FRIARY Class 04s

Plymouth Friary had four of what became Class 04s allocated from new to operate goods branches in the area. Apparently the Drewry reps. that came with them got rather upset when they saw the loads that were hung on them.

Plymouth Friary was a Southern shed at the time but the WR did hang on to a few for a while -- I think they finished at Worcester as replacements for steam in the first half of 1966 but they didn't last long there either.

[Unfortunately, 11225 arrived with an incorrect D prefix which I, inexpertly, removed.]

No. 11225 taken very early morning after its long journey from Plymouth Friary.

Later that day.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6828 on: August 03, 2020, 12:35:39 PM »
Good to see you back on here and posting Chris.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6829 on: August 03, 2020, 12:49:57 PM »
Still in 1958, an eagerly awaited arrival, at Cant Cove, has been 'Dean Goods' 2301 Class 0-6-0 No. 2538 (ex-89A. June 1956 to Withdrawal May 1957), the last of its class to be withdrawn (as the 0-6-0s were progressively replaced by new BR Standard class 2 2-6-0 engines) and preserved in its final, BR Small Early Crest livery, form by the GWS (Bodmin) after its purchase and overhaul, at Swindon Works, paid for by Lord Trevelver.

Here No. 2538 is seen returning from Penmayne with a three-coach train formed of a scratch set of BR Standard coaches assembled from LMR and ER rakes that had arrived at Penmayne as Summer Saturday holidaymakers' services. The coaches are conveying local members of the CLPG and GWS with invited guests between Penmayne and Wadebridge and return whilst local footplate crew receive instruction from the visiting crew from Oswestry (89A) supervised by the Plymouth footplate inspector.

No. 2538 will be sure to add to the local attractions but, due to its exposed cab, will only be in service in the Summer, being placed in store in the cavern under Trevelver Castle for the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:19:35 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6830 on: August 03, 2020, 12:51:41 PM »
Good to see you back on here and posting Chris.

Thank you, Martin. There's more to come!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6831 on: August 03, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
My sincere thanks to Gideon for his work on No. 11225, Tony for his work on No. 2538 and John for arranging the purchase and transport of No. 2538 from Union Mills to Wickness Models and my thanks to Douglas, there, who converted the models to DCC.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:17:40 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6832 on: August 03, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »
Many thanks for these interesting pictures, Chris.  It's good to see you posting again.

The 'Dean Goods' looks absolutely splendid on your excellent fully-scenic model railway.  I love the 'Class 1' lamps!

I'm now tempted to attempt a photograph of one of her classmates on my semi-scenic train set. 

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #6833 on: August 03, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
Hi there Chris nice to see you posting again and all is well.Those pics of the coaches are excellent, you have some good stock there, and thanks to you so do I.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6834 on: August 03, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »

I'm now tempted to attempt a photograph of one of her classmates on my semi-scenic train set. 

Itís also possible that another classmate may turn up elsewhere in Cornwall later.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6835 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »
Many thanks for your nice comments. I fo like the latest 'Blue Riband' standard GF coaches. Photos. of other 'Dean Goods' are always welcome. Apart from the headlamps and change of 'plates, No. 2538 had not been detailed, unlike my other UM locos. However, I really should add a driver and fireman. (I have some painted ones stored somewhere!) As Lord and Lady Trevelver were on board in one of the 1st Class compartments in the centre CK, Class One headlamps were, everyone agreed, most appropriate.

No. 2538 was first observed in North Wales, by Lord and Lady Trevelver, still at work in the Summer of 1956. (Needless to say, it rained almost every day ... ) On learning, from its driver, that No. 2538 was to be the last 'Dean Goods' in BR service, Lord Trevelver placed a 'phone call to Paddington then Swindon ... Thus was that the first (of many) preserved steam locos. was to arrive in North Cornwall, albeit one which had never run there in BR service. It is one of the very few BR 'mainline' locos. passed for the entirety of the Castle Branch.

More photos. to come. No sunshine today.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6836 on: August 04, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
A D-notice was issued in 1918 and, again, in 1938, advising the press of a subject of stories it is advisable not to publish because of damage to national security! However, just between ourselves, it can be revealed that the War Department constructed a very well-equipped Top Secret installation in the main cavern under Trevelver Castle. Sir Winston Churchill, as First Lord of the Admiralty, from 1911-15 and 1939-40, took an especial interest in the installation. [It has been briefly referred to in previous stories.]

Courtesy of the TARDIS, we see a SR Green liveried M7 crossing the Penmayne Road on the Castle Branch with one of the NE bogie vans used for 'Top Secret' shipments from the NE accompanied by an SR bogie 'Queen Mary' brake van with a complement of armed Royal Marines. The M7 had replaced the N, at Wadebridge, that had brought the special train from Templecombe where the N had relieved the LMSR loco. that had taken it over the S&DJR.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:52:18 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6837 on: August 05, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »
Splendid pictures, Chris.

Many thanks.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6838 on: August 05, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
Splendid pictures, Chris.

Many thanks.

John

Thank you, John. It is not often that this M7 gets removed from its box. When I retrieve my GWR livery 45xx and find my Lima GWR 'Toad' (which will take longer), I'll be better able to replicate your train.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6839 on: August 05, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »
As this Summer, Cant Cove is in 1958, a note on BR Crests on locos. (and other rolling stock) may be in order. In 1957 (announced summer 1956) the BR Early Crest ('cycling lion') was replaced by the Late Crest (roundel) on EMUs/DMUs, locos & loco-hauled coaching stock rostered for named trains. Early Derby Lightweight DMUs appeared in traffic with DTCs carrying the early 'cycling lion' crests. These were carried until first repaint so could still be seen in the late 1950s. Initially both left- & right- facing transfers were prepared but the College of Heralds objected that the BR device was heraldic & could not be tampered with. So after about a year, all lions holding their red wheel faced left. But only BR Standard (later Mark I) loco-hauled stock (& on the Southern only that for the "Royal Wessex" but also its Bulleid coaches, (e.g. semi-BSO S2529S on page 158 of Mike King's "Illustrated History of Southern Coaches") were meant to have roundels. The Western Region introduced a plethora of named trains so that it could maximise its Chocolate & Cream liveried coaches (including ex-GWR catering cars) but also a few Hawksworth 'specials', like the 'Royal' BCKs. The Eastern & LM regions were more restrained. However, it was not only on the Southern that coaches other than Mark 1s carried the later roundel: the LMR applied it to pre-pre-nationalisation stock including many Stanier coaches (including the 'excursion' set seen on the SR in the 1960s) as well as the ER, including to some Thompson stock, too. So, for years, formations for both named & non-named trains could be seen with & without roundels.

The Western Region, of course, also applied the roundels to the cabsides of the Maroon, Green and Ochre "Westerns" (Class 52) as well as Maroon "Warships" (Classes 42 and 43), all the (two-tone Green) Type 1 (Class 14) 650hp Paxmans and some green EE Type 1s (Class 20s), the Southampton Dock diesel shunters, the 275hp Ruston 0-6-0 centre cab (Class 07) locos., too, when in green (I'd like one), also carried them. As did another main line type, the SR JA electrodiesels when in green livery (one has been known to visit Cant Cove). Other locos include some ScR NBL 225hp 0-4-0 shunters and even at least one standard 350hp 0-6-0 shunter. (I don't know which one) Thus, in 1958, both Early and Late Crests can be seen on locos.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:19:27 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal