!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 617015 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6615 on: January 12, 2020, 10:04:12 PM »
D.C.I. Snapper opened his expensive leather wallet and, smiling broadly, carefully took out two new blue £5 notes before, leaning over the table, attempting to pass them across to the young blonde woman who immediately rose, walked over to him, slapped his face hard, and cried: “How dare you! I’m NOT that sort of girl!” before storming off to the table where Giles, Richard and Sophie were sitting. She headed straight for Giles and gesticulated fiercely at Snapper. Giles nodded repeatedly then, accompanied by her, walked over to the table where Snapper and Rule were sitting and proceeded to remonstrate with Snapper who became very apologetic. Eddie was taking great interest and beckoned to the tall brunette waitress to come to him then began questioning her as he watched the scene playing out across the large room.

“Don’t overdo it, Giles,” Rule warned, observing Eddie from the corner of his eye. “We don’t want to be thrown out for importuning!”

“I know, Mr. Rule, I won’t. I’ve said enough.”

“Now, listen carefully, I have something very important to tell you, your friends and, through you, that Poldory,” stated Rule. “I just heard it from my colleague, here.”

“We are all ears,” whispered Richard and Sophie.

“Now, make it look like you’re apologising to Angela, Mr. Snapper,” Giles continued quietly whilst Rule quickly and concisely briefed Richard and Sophie. “Angela make it look like you’re very reluctantly accepting Mr. Snapper’s apology whilst Mr. Rule quietly finishes telling us what we need to know. Because of where I’m standing, Eddie cannot see Rule or I talking. Then, when we’ve finished our little play-acting, order another round of drinks Mr. Snapper and ‘make nice’. I’ll leave, first, ostensibly to the Gents., then you get up to dance with Angela, Mr. Snapper, to show that all is forgiven which should keep Eddie’s eyes on you two. Your dance over, you part nice and friendly before Angela goes to dance and talk with her friends. Begin with briefing Susan and Sylvia as you smilingly dance, Angela. Richard and Sophie, you know what you each must now do. Our original plan still goes ahead but remain ready to improvise at all times! Susan will need to move very quickly. I’m going to look for Jeremy and Poldory to warn ‘em. This is NOT good news.”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:28:37 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6616 on: January 12, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi Chris,

Enjoying the story and nice train pics too.

Certainly approve of my character descriptions. Have plans for Christian, Catala, Fermin and Rae Anne on a new little beach cove layout under construction as we speak, hoping that they don't all get blown up or something like that  :D:worried:.

Will introduce and do pics of the layout in February so hopefully they'll be back by then (no rush).

Great stuff and keep up the good work.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6617 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »
Hi Chris,

Enjoying the story and nice train pics too.

Certainly approve of my character descriptions. Have plans for Christian, Catala, Fermin and Rae Anne on a new little beach cove layout under construction as we speak, hoping that they don't all get blown up or something like that  :D:worried:.

Will introduce and do pics of the layout in February so hopefully they'll be back by then (no rush).

Great stuff and keep up the good work.

Many thanks, Chris. Don't worry, Christian, Catala, Fermin and Rae Anne plus the two Californian girls will all survive unhurt but there will be a revelation about Christian (previously hinted at). They will be leaving at the end of August 1963. I look forward to the February photos. Do you still have the same home address, please?

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6618 on: January 13, 2020, 05:38:52 PM »
Hi Chris,

Looking forward to Christian's revelation.

Yes to still at the same address.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6619 on: January 13, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »
“Well, well, I did not know that you were such a good dancer!” grinned Rule as Snapper breathlessly returned to their table after dancing with Angela to Martha and The Vandellas’s “Heat Wave”.

“Neither did I! That was all very clever. I’m impressed,” Snapper replied, mopping his brow with his handkerchief. “Time for another pint!”

“Indeed. Although I wish it was from one of our Cornish breweries. Giles and Angela played their parts very well, didn’t they?”

“Yes, they did. Angela is one sharp young lady. Quick thinking all round by everyone, not least you.”

“Thank you,” smiled Rule. “But now what part should we now play? I’m here for Poldory and you’re here for the Twins and ‘The Firm’, am I right? But this is far from a normal police operation.”

“Yes, indeed. However, I fear that the Admiral has his own agenda, here, which may well not agree with ours!” exclaimed Snapper.

“Well, you have had far more to do with him than I,” stated Rule.

“Whilst that’s true, the Admiral certainly does not share more than the bare essential details of his plans with me. You, however, know Miss Trevelver and her party better than I, particularly Miss Foreman,” replied Snapper.

“Yes, that’s true and I know Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador and Giles Roskrow quite well and know them to be very capable young men. As you know, they were closely involved in thwarting the infamous attempt by the Poldory brothers to trick the rugby specials’ passengers,” responded the Cornish D.I.

“Yes, in my considered opinion, Alan, the older is irredeemably criminal with violent tendencies whilst the younger, far more peace-loving, Andy, I consider, to have been far too easily led by Alan,” stated his London colleague.

“I agree and you’ll no doubt be delighted to know that Andy, newly married, has gone ‘straight’ and is doing well in his new job,” smiled Rule.

“I am delighted but what should we do, about Alan, now?”

“What indeed? You know what I want, to take Poldory back to face the maximum period of imprisonment he deserves but has, do far, escaped.”

“On balance, Poldory must be our third priority after the Russians, followed by the Twins and ‘The Firm’.”

“Unfortunately, I must agree. Not that we have any choice when it comes to giving the Russians priority!”

“Indeed.”

“Now, we must wait for signals from Jeremy, Giles, Captain Grenville and Miss Sophie Andres!”

“Not forgetting Miss Foreman.”

“Of course. I see that Eddie has disappeared,” whispered Snapper.

“Hmm. I wonder where he’s gone,” mused Rule.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:16:37 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6620 on: January 13, 2020, 07:39:12 PM »
“Right,” announced Susan. “One of the first things you girls taught me, in Chelsea, was that when one girl mentions she’s going to the bathroom, the whole group follows!”

“Why DO girls feel the need to go to the bathroom in groups?” asked Tom. “I’ve always wondered.”

“Well, if Monique or Sofi were here, I’m pretty sure that they would say that it’s because we need our friends to go to the bathroom with us so we can borrow their makeup and they can tell us if your hair looks good or not!” replied Sylvia. “Or, whether we have any toilet paper stuck to our stiletto or some serious VPL, that’s short for visible panty line, Tom, in case you don’t know!”

The two female friends laughed.

“But, asking your female friend to go with you to the bathroom is code for ‘I really need to tell you something I can’t say in front of these people’, isn’t it,” smiled Susan.

“True, Susan. But, we’re pretty sure you lose your hearing every time you go to a bar or club. Although our Friday and Saturday London nights are filled with dancing and drinking, there’s always something that happens we need to tell our friend ASAP.” She put her head slightly to one side as she looked at Tom. “The typical conversation goes like this, Tom, ‘I need to tell you something’, ‘What did you say?’ ‘I CAN’T HEAR YOU!’ ‘Let’s go to the bathroom’. The ladies’ room is the perfect get-away for a quick chat with your girls.”

“Tell me more!” exclaimed Tom, leaning forward.

“Well, Tom” replied Sylvia, “it could be that creepy guy won’t stop winking at you or that guy with the two left feet who keeps trying to dance in front of you. This is when you give your best friend the ‘look’ and she instantly knows it is time for a bathroom break. The one place weirdos can’t, shouldn’t follow you to is the ladies’ room; it’s our own little safe haven.”

“Hmm, that’s not all is it?” asked Tom. “I’ve heard that the bathroom is the number one place you girls go to discuss your latest male attraction!”

“Tom! Who’s been telling you our secrets!” exclaimed Sylvia in mock horror.

“I know you girls well enough to say that once you are where you can hear yourself, often it’s because one of you needs that pep talk from your friend. Should they go for that attractive guy? You girls need that little confidence boost from a bathroom pep talk before you go for your target!” laughed Susan. “Talking of which, Sylvi, as much as Tom here’s enjoying all of this, we girls DO need to go to that very same safe haven for a quick chat and now! We DO really need to discuss some things we can’t say in front of these other people, here.”

“Right, Susan. Keep our seats, Tom. I’m getting up to give the bathroom break signal to Sophie!”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:22:10 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6621 on: January 13, 2020, 07:41:30 PM »
The latest instalments are certainly coming thick and fast now Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6622 on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »
The latest instalments are certainly coming thick and fast now Chris.

Thank you, Martin. They certainly are. I need to finish the story, this week, but have had other things to do.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6623 on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:41 PM »
Hi Chris,

Looking forward to Christian's revelation.

Yes to still at the same address.

Thanks, Chris (Weave).

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6624 on: January 13, 2020, 09:10:19 PM »
“Right, Poldory,” announced Jeremy, quietly but forcibly, as soon as they were in the private room with the door locked and standing as far away from the door as possible with the cake and box. “Before you say anything, we know all about the Soviet agents and you. So, there’s been a quick but slight change of plan! Do EXACTLY as we say, and we just might save your wretched skin!”

“Oh, thank you, thank you, sir, but, if you don’t mind me askin’, where’s the girl …”

“No time for buts, Poldory. Change of plan, I said. Get undressed and put the chef’s outfit on whilst I put the other outfit on. Fortunately, you’re about the same height, if rather scrawnier than Giles. He should be here any minute. Very luckily this uniform should just about fit me. You’ll be pushing the trolley instead of Giles. In the dim light they might not recognise you.”

Both men exchanged their clothes for those neatly folded in the very large cardboard box which Jeremy had torn open so that they speedily could get at its contents.

“But …”

“We’re short of time, Poldory. No, buts! The Russians are on their way and we need to wheel this thing through before they get here! They’ll be here any moment! Everything depends on this going exactly to plan.”

Poldory was now almost hopping with impatience whilst quickly undressing down to his white vest, Y-fronts and socks.

“Really! Can’t it wait?”

“No, it’s very important, sir. A matter of …”

“Right, Poldory. Spill it! You’ve got until we’ve both finished dressing and that’s not long at all!”

“Well, it’s like this …”

“Get to the point, Poldory!” Jeremy had to control his temper and his voice.

“I had three very important things to tell you, sir, but now it’s only two. There’s this girl, Sally, a very young girl, a good girl not like some in ‘ere, sir, oh no, she’s eighteen, from Devon way, but looks much younger, very much younger, new to London, works behind the bar ‘ere, washes the glasses real quick. Quicker than anyone. There’s never enough glasses on busy nights you see, the Twins save money that way …”

“Poldory!” exclaimed Jeremy as he did up the last of his jacket buttons and put on his uniform cap before walking over to the giant cake on its four-wheeled trolley draped on all sides with shiny gold paper and hung with bright festive streamers. He climbed on to the table and stood glaring down at Poldory.

“Well, I sometimes helps Sally out, see, and, this evening, she told me she’s overheard two things …” replied Poldory, hurriedly, as he, too, did up the last of his jacket buttons before putting on his uniform hat. “Them’s the two very important things I was tellin’ you ‘bout, one’s ‘bout you an’ your friends an’ you really need to know about THAT … an’ one’s about her an’ those Commie bastards. You promise that you’ll save me an’ her, an’ I’ll help you save your friends, now.”

Jeremy sighed. “If it really is as you say, it’s a deal, Poldory. Mind you, the faintest hint of any funny business, any funny business AT ALL and Jeremy and I’ll have the greatest of pleasure handing you over to the Soviet thugs ourselves.” Poldory turned very pale. “So, tell me real fast then let’s get this thing on the dance floor, now.” Poldory very quickly explained whilst Jeremy nodded briskly. “Did they indeed! Mind you tell Giles about that, IMMEDIATELY!”

Poldory nodded. “Yes, they did, sir, and I will. I swear. The bottle’s right behind the bar. Unopened last time Sally an’ I looked ....”

“Wait,” called Jeremy. “As soon as we’re on the dance floor, you get the young girl, Sally. Say you’ll need Sally’s help to help quickly tidy up so the dancefloor’s clear. Eddie’s orders. Don’t take no for an answer. That’s all down to you and only you. We’ll all be very busy. Very busy indeed!”

Again, Poldory nodded. Jeremy had never seen him look so serious and concerned.

There came a soft but firm series of knocks on the door.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6625 on: January 14, 2020, 12:15:08 AM »
 :hellosign:
      Many thanks Chris, on the edge of my seat now   :goggleeyes:
            regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6626 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »
:hellosign:
      Many thanks Chris, on the edge of my seat now   :goggleeyes:
            regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. There should be a longer episode, tomorrow.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6627 on: January 14, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
With Giles gone, Sophie was left sitting with Richard and Angela. Of the three, Richard was clearly the most nervous and Sophie the least.

“I wish I could follow Giles and Jeremy,” Richard sighed, toying with his half-empty glass.

“I understand, Richard, but you have your orders: to stay here with me in case anything happens. We’re in charge until they return. I see that Susan, Eli, and Sylvia have gone for a bathroom break meeting. They must be getting ready to move. Now, I wish I could have followed them!”

“I know, Sophie, but you have to stay here with me in case anything happens!” he laughed.

“Any sign of the Soviets, yet, Richard?”

“Not yet, but my guess is that Eddie has gone to wait at the entrance to welcome them.”

“So, they, too, will be getting ready; I mean to move on Poldory?”

“Not necessarily, Sophie, first, they will want to enjoy a good meal and a few drinks …”

“Enjoying just a little of decadent capitalist excess!” Angela laughed.

“To remind themselves of what they fighting against!” Richard replied.

“Ah! One of the service doors is opening! I can see the giant cake on the trolly being pushed by someone dressed as a chef,” announced Sophie.

“The chef can’t be Jeremy as he’s following the cake trolley,” remarked Angela.

“Must be a change of plan, Angela,” responded Richard. “Where are Giles and Poldory? It must be one of them, instead.”

“Now, Jeremy’s going over to speak to the D.J., James Hamilton,” stated Angela.

“Hi, James,” Jeremy said with his warmest smile. “As agreed, do you have the record ready?”

“Of course. As soon as this one ends, I’ll fade it in.”

As Sam Cooke’s “Another Saturday Night” ended, Hamilton put on “Night Train” by James Brown & The Famous Flames. This was the signal that everyone had been waiting for.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:27:29 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6628 on: January 15, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »
What's in the cake?  It's not St Valentine's day, is it?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6629 on: January 15, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
What's in the cake?  It's not St Valentine's day, is it?

No, it's not! It's late August. 8-)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal