!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 618402 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6555 on: December 28, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »
:hellosign:
   Many thanks Chris, I'll just say golly gosh whatever next
         regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. As requested . . .

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6556 on: December 28, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »
Eli, Sylvia, Susan, and Angela were sitting in one of the Black Cabs with Richard as their armed guard on their way back to Chelsea. Having safely passed the press photographers, they had wrapped their dark blue woollen blankets around their dishevelled and stained party dresses, dresses which would be discarded to be burnt, apart from Susan and Sylvia’s which seemed to be amazingly stain-resistant, Angela remarked before promptly falling deep asleep.

“So,” smiled Eli, “I’ll make us four a nice big steaming mugs of chocatl when we arrive and you can tell us, Susan, all that you told that dreadful man!”

“And what he told you,” added Sylvia, pointedly.

“I’m sorry, my friends. I’ll have to wait for my chocatl as, after we’ve dropped you three off in Chelsea, Richard’s going to drive me to Totter's Lane, Shoreditch and back as I need to pick up some things there.”

“Am I not invited for chocatl, then?” asked Richard with a grin.

“Sorry, no, Richard, girls’ talk; but I’ll make you a mug of chocatl, too. In any case, I’m sure that you will have duties to attend to, won’t you, on your return?”

He sighed. “Yes, Eli, I have to brief Jim and Phil’s replacements, Jeremy and Giles told me. They’ll be coming with us for added security with some of Torchwood Institute’s kit, at Jeremy’s insistence. Jeremy and Giles will be discussing with Huw Jenkins the evening’s events and what to do.”

“What’s that burning smell, Susan?” asked Sylvia, suddenly, wrinkling her nose at her friend’s black and white Mary Quant handbag placed between them.

“Something in my handbag overheated and scorched the lining, Sylvi. I’ll tell you later.”

“Do you know anything about that poor rose girl, Susan? I mean from the Admiral?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I do, Eli. It’s a very sad story. However, Giles’s friend, Anton, that very nice young medical doctor, told me that with the right treatment, she’ll make a full recovery. However, most of her back, behind and legs will be dreadfully scarred. Such a pity, she’s so young and pretty. In another time, she could have been our good friend ... If only the TARDIS was here ... We could have put her in the Sick Bay, just like we did with Sofi, Enka, and, of course, poor Angela, back at Trevelver Castle, last autumn.”

“Not to mention, yourself, Susan,” added Sylvia. “But you were saying …”

“Ah, yes. Noyabrina, November in English, as the October Revolution occurred in November by the Julian calendar, Nonna for short, is a known GRU agent who regularly visits the ‘Cafe Daquise’ to gather information, particularly on former Polish Army officers, whilst selling Harry Wheatcroft red roses. Her mother was Polish and her father Russian, so she was brought up perfectly bilingual. Her parents were devoted Komsomol, Young Communist, members who met at Moscow State University whilst working to promote Polish-Russian friendship. Alas, such an attractive, popular and successful young couple inevitably attracted the envy of others … To cut a sad story short. Nonna’s parents were both falsely accused, found guilty and sent to separate Siberian Gulags. Her father was worked to death whilst her mother was fortunate to attract the attention of the male Commandant of her women’s camp and so survived.”

“Poor girl,” remarked Eli, wiping tears from her tired eyes.

“A condition of Nonna’s mother’s eventual release was that her daughter, who had been left with Nonna’s maternal grandmother, be brought up as a devoted Komsomol member and, as soon as she was old enough, join the Soviet Army’s GRU where she also learnt perfect English. Nonna was then sent to the Soviet Union’s Office of the Trade Representative, here, in Highgate, where she works, ostensibly, as a bi-lingual, Russian-English secretary but, in reality, of course, a GRU spy. Her continued good behaviour being the price of her mother’s continued existence as an office cleaner with a tiny flat, in Moscow.”

“How awful,” commented Sylvia.

“But it gets worse. It seems Nonna formed a romantic attachment to her older partner of this evening who the Admiral believes was, in fact … But, I’ll tell you, later.”

“A substitute for the father she hardly knew? What will happen to poor Nonna, Susan, assuming she survives?”

“Oh, she’ll recover fully, Sylvi. I’ll make quite sure of that, I promise you. We owe her that.”

“Oh. Is that why you’re going on to your place behind the junkyard, Susan?”

“Yes, partly. But to answer your question, the Admiral has arranged with the CIA that, as soon as Nonna is fully recovered, she be given a new identity and sent to the Polish community in Portage Park, Chicago, where she will be looked after as a Polish-American amnesia victim. She can’t be allowed to return and report to the GRU knowing what she now knows, he’s made that very clear. In return for this solution, I’ve promised to ... err, rid her of her memories.”

“A blessing, all things considered,” stated Sylvia.

“I agree,” added Eli. “Poor young woman. Your chocatl will be waiting for your return, Susan. Thank you.”

Susan nodded.

“We’re here, ladies,” announced the cab’s driver.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:47:37 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6557 on: December 28, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
    Many thanks Chris.
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6558 on: December 29, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
Thank you, Derek. As requested:

By the time Eli, Sylvia, and Angela had had a quick shower, including washing their hair, and changed into their nightclothes and dressing gowns, Susan, with Richard and the two other young men, had returned. The three friends found Susan in the kitchen carefully heating a large saucepan of milk.

“I’ve never done this before. Using a gas ring, I mean,” she smiled shyly, looking younger than her publicly stated sixteen years. They all laughed.

“Well done, Susan. Sit down, I’ll take over,” grinned Eli, giving her a quick sisterly hug.

Their large mugs of chocatl placed before them and the kitchen door closed, they sat around the kitchen table on the opposite sides from the door.

“Alright, Susan, tell us everything, please,” stated Sylvia. “Then you, too, can shower and change. We’ve laid out your nightclothes in the bathroom for you.”

“Thanks, Sylvi. Fortunately, I need less sleep than you do. Well, first things first, the Admiral was very angry with me for killing a GRU agent of especial interest, having already lost the first agent, he said, to a train at Taunton station. He then went on to remind me, at great length, that my grandfather and I are not of this time or place, that we are Time Lords and my grandfather had very emphatically stated that Time Lords have a strict non-interference policy: only observing the events of the wider universe, and never become involved. I replied to him that it was partly this policy which had led to my grandfather and I leaving our home planet, Gallifrey. I finished by telling him that, as he very well knows, we strongly believe that there are evils which should be fought and positive ways of interfering. Indeed, without our help, I told him, it is very likely that the Daleks would have already destroyed this Earth!”

“That’s telling him, Susan!” laughed Angela. “What had he to say to that?”

“Not much. He, at least, had the good grace to admit that that was true. However, he counter-attacked by stating that I had been fully briefed by Jeremy, who was in overall charge, and I should have consulted with him, first, before acting!”

“When did that briefing occur, Susan?”

“Whilst you were busy talking with Jeremy after his arrival.”

“That’s true,” remarked Eli. “Quite understandably Jeremy was the centre of your attention. But, please, go on. None of us really understands just what happened, back there,” she gestured in the vague direction of South Kensington, only five minutes away, by road. However, to ensure that there was no press following them, their journey had taken rather longer.

“Well, I had to make an instant decision,” began Susan.

“Whether to consult, Jeremy, first, you mean?”

“No, Sylvia, no offence, between non-interference and you losing your minds!”

“What do you mean? The roses?”

“No, although the roses were deadly enough, Eli.”

“Please, explain, Susan.”

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6559 on: December 30, 2019, 11:18:23 AM »
Their teenage friend, sighed, and took a swig of her chocatl. “Mmm, I still remember the first time I enjoyed chocatl. It was when Grandfather took my teachers, Mr. Chesterton and Miss Wright, and I in the TARDIS to Mexico, in the fifteenth century, during the Aztec empire …” She laughed. “Grandfather, who knew rather less of Aztec customs than he liked to think, became accidentally engaged to an Aztec woman, named Cameca, after they shared a cup!”

They all laughed.

“Just as well, Richard, isn’t here, then! But, please, continue, Susan,” smiled Sylvia.

Their young friend sighed, again. “Well, the stems of the roses were covered in a fast-acting paralysing nerve agent.”

“How did you know that, Susan?”

“I did not know, for sure, Angela, at first, but the fact that rose girl, I mean, Nonna, was wearing translucent gloves was enough of a warning sign.”

“You noticed that from where you were sitting!” exclaimed Eli.

“My eyesight IS excellent and, as you know, alcohol has no effect on Time Lords as our metabolism instantly neutralises it and other poisons …”

“But, what was the point of that, I mean the nerve agent?”

“I don’t know, for sure, Angela. Probably to paralyse all the women after they had been given a rose. The nerve agent would not have acted on the first person until shortly after the last had taken hers, and then the men would be preoccupied with trying to take care of you all? I did not have time to fully read Nonna’s mind, but I learnt enough to shout out the warning ‘Do not touch the roses!’ and ‘The rose girl flat on the floor, now!’”

“Why the second?”

“Two reasons, so that the roses would be on the floor, with her, and the second, I had just read her companion’s mind!”

“And …” Sylvia took another sip of her chocatl.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6560 on: December 30, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
Hi Chris,

Am enjoying your excellent and intriguing story very much. I looked up chocatl as had never heard the word before. I had obviously got the drift of it but read about the Aztec 'bitter water' thing. You learn something every day.

Anyway, hope you had/are having a great time in Slovakia and looking forward to more.

St'astny novy rok (sorry, can't type the accents)

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6561 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
Many thanks, Chris (Weave). There's plenty more to come! 8-) I hope that you enjoyed a good Christmas. Tomorrow, I return to Prague.  Yes, I've had a good relaxing time and more than a few Czech and Slovak beers.

I'm afraid your characters have not featured as much as they should have but Christian will.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6562 on: December 30, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
“What looked like one of the brand-new Polaroid instant cameras was, in fact, I learnt a device to suck out all your memories for downloading and processing, leaving you, at best, as memory-less amnesiacs, at worst, no longer functioning human beings.”

“You mean, we could all have been killed?”

“Yes, more than likely. Those who sent the pair with that would not care either way. All they wanted was to search through your memories …”

“Oh, no, Susan, don’t tell me that this is still all about orichalcum!” moaned Eli, banging down her mug on the tabletop.

“Yes, I’m afraid so, Eli. You, Sylvi, and Jeremy, not to mention Sofia, Catala and Christian, and D.C.I. Alan Snapper, have all visited Sonmel where there are still deposits of that extremely rare red-gold metal and, well,” Susan shrugged her bare shoulders, “I’m my grandfather’s daughter ... I don’t know if they knew the Admiral, an even better source of information, would be there, he told me he thinks not …”

“So,” exclaimed Eli, "that man, I mean, the Admiral, was angry with you for killing one man rather than see everyone in that restaurant, including your best friends and totally innocent bystanders, rendered at best, memory-less amnesiacs, at worst, no longer functioning human beings!”

“Yes, I’m afraid, so, Eli. He stated that the man had priceless knowledge. Knowledge now lost to him.”

“I REALLY ‘ate ‘im, now!” exclaimed Eli in a fury.

“Don’t choke on your chocatl, please, Eli,” urged Sylvia, calmly. “So, what happened, Susan?”

“Well, you know about my silver metal lipstick case, Sylvi?”

“Well, that it’s some kind of personal defence device?”

“Yes, that’s right, Sylvi. A girl can’t be too careful!” she laughed lightly. “But, it’s, actually, a multi-purpose device. I have to be careful, though, not to drain too much energy from it with the TARDIS so far away. So, I carry an accumulator with me, in my handbag. Hence the smell you noticed, Sylvi, in the taxi and why I had to carry my handbag, open, afterwards, to dissipate the remaining heat from it inside.”

Her three friends gazed uncomprehendingly, at her, over their mugs of chocatl.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I still forget sometimes which year, I’m in! I’ll explain. Very simply, an accumulator is a rechargeable primary battery.”

“OK, Susan, that’s simple enough, so far,” smiled Sylvia as she took another sip of her drink. “We all know what batteries are.”

“Yes, my friends. But here is where it gets a little more complicated …”

Eli groaned.

“An accumulator is a storage device which accepts, stores, and releases energy, as needed. So, it’s like a battery. Some accumulators accept energy at a low rate, low power, over a long time and deliver the energy at a high rate, high power, over a short time. Whilst others accept energy at a high rate over a short time and deliver the energy at a low rate over a longer time. Whilst others, typically, accept and release energy at comparable rates.” She paused to enjoy her drink. “Different devices can store thermal energy, mechanical energy, and electrical energy. However, energy is usually accepted and delivered in the same form. Some accumulators can store a different form of energy from that they receive and deliver by performing energy conversion on the way in and on the way out.”

“Okay, Susan. No wonder your teachers were amazed at your advanced scientific knowledge,” laughed Sylvia. “And your accumulator?”

Sylvia reached into her handbag and carefully withdrew a misshapen oblong object the size of a large block of carbolic soap. “This is, or was, my personal accumulator ... It can do all the things I’ve just described. However, if it has to deliver energy at a very high rate, very high power, over a very short time interval it, inevitably, overheats and its subsequent functioning is much reduced. In fact, this one,” she shook her head, “is for all practical purposes, now, useless.”

“More Torchwood technology?” asked Angela.

“No, it’s one of the supply from the TARDIS. There’s an entire storage bay full of them! You’ll have something similar in …” she paused, her brow furrowed, “in about a hundred years or so. I have plenty in a secure locker under the ground floor back in Trotter’s Lane. Later, I can rebuild this one at the molecular level. Waste not, want not, as Lady Penelope says!” she grinned at Sylvia and took another sip from her mug.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:32:36 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6563 on: December 30, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
Crikey Chris - a lot to catch up on.
I’ve been largely out of circulation as far as the forum goes since the Friday before Christmas.
We had a trip up country to meet up with Mrs PP’s daughters and partners/husbands then collected two elderly relatives from Wiltshire to bring to Cornwall with us for Christmas.
On Saturday I took them back, stayed with my son and family so I could go to the football yesterday and returned home today after visiting my daughter and family for breakfast in Bath.
All a bit hectic but I’m now back home for a well earned rest. Mrs PP has cooked sausage n bean bake (one of my favourite comfort meals) and I’ll crack open a few beers and a whisky or two later.
I’ve very much skim read your posts so tomorrow, I’ll catch up properly with the storyline to see what has been going on.
Hope you enjoyed Eastern Slovakia.

Cheers  :beers:
Martin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:34:10 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6564 on: December 30, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »
Thanks, Martin. Yes, I had a good relaxing time. I will have to go on a diet next month, though! At last, I've had some free time. However, as the story progresses, I keep finding other details add themselves!

I'm glad that you had an enjoyable Christmas. I have some academic work to complete on my return but should have plenty of free time, also, to finish the story and, if we get some sunshine, to take more photos. of Cant Cove.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:44:50 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6565 on: December 30, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
“But how did the energy pass from your accumulator to your device?” asked the ever-practical Angela.

“Oh, even I must be getting tired!” Susan smiled. “It’s beamed, Angela. I command it psychically.” She shrugged her bare shoulders, again. “It’s second nature to even the youngest Time Lord.”

“But, so much energy, flowing at such speed, with such power, through your handheld device … the heat generated must have been incredible?”

“Yes, Angela, you’re quite correct. The thumb, fingers and part of the palm of my right hand were all severely burnt. Fortunately, both discharges were brief, although the second lasted longer and was more powerful.”

“Ow! That must have hurt. Show us your hand, Susan.”

“Look, Eli. See, apart from some red patches, it’s already almost healed. I just speeded up the local healing …”

“Psychically?”

“Yes, of course, Angela.”

“But the intense pain?”

“I first switched off receipt of the pain signals, Eli, then greatly lowered the … err volume. Just like turning the knob on my little transistor radio!” She grinned and took another long sip from the mug in front of her.

“And those discharges?”

“As soon as I read the man’s mind and his intention, I sent a tightly focussed discharge beam to destroy the machine’s inner workings. However, I was a fraction too late, so … I had to immediately turn the focus from a narrow beam to as wide a cone as possible to repel the … err, mind-sucking force. Unfortunately, I had no time to calibrate it properly. I repelled it, successfully, but the resultant back force blew the machine to pieces, some of whose fragments, unfortunately, showered over poor Jim, Monique, Phil, Amanda, and Jenny, as well as Nonna, who had rolled on top of Sophie. I don’t know why ... The back force, as its wielder instinctively tried to lower the device, then propelled the device and his body into the front door. The device destroying most of his body in the blast. Not to mention most of the restaurant entrance! Hence, I’m afraid, all the blood and debris. I’m very sorry. I had not set out to kill him!”

“Oh, Susan,” cried Eli. “Don’t worry. Your quick thinking saved us all. One death versus many!”

“I know, but we Time Lords are taught from birth that all life is precious … even …”

“Truly amazing work, dear Susan,” interrupted Sylvia. “Really, no-one could have done better. You had no time to consult Jeremy. Really, no time at all! I know that he will understand when we explain everything to him. He must still be in discussions with Giles and Huw. I know that they feel very bad about what happened.”

“Hmm, I’d rather you did not tell him, or anyone else, Sylvi. Let’s keep this just between us four. I know Jeremy is very important to you, but … it was bad enough telling all this to the Admiral. I hope that my Grandfather will not complain too much when he returns.”

“I’m sure that he won’t. He’s intervened often enough, you’ve told me.”

“I know, Sylvi, but …”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:32:41 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6566 on: December 30, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
  Many thanks Chris, glad Christmas was good for you, our get-away is in early January
         regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6567 on: December 31, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »
  Many thanks Chris, glad Christmas was good for you, our get-away is in early January
         regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. I've safely returned to Prague. A quiet evening in with friends. Plenty of food and wine! I hope that you'll enjoy a good break in January.

Meanwhile, plenty more to come as we get ever closer to the fateful night! 8-)

All the best,
Chris

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6568 on: December 31, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
Just caught up Chris.
Cracking stuff as ever.
Quiet night in here with paella and plenty of beer and wine .
Tomorrow, the spare bedroom will revert to a train room so pictures to come.
Have a great New Year.
Best Regards

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6569 on: December 31, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
In the front room of the rented Chelsea house, a grim-faced Huw had called a Council of War with Jeremy and Giles. Huw’s comrades, aided by the ever-alert Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis, were still on guard in and around the three connected houses, enabling the rest of the remaining young men to get some much-needed sleep. Two of Huw’s most trusted comrades stood guard outside the door baring entrance to anyone else.

“Whatever way you want to look at it, Huw, you must admit that it very much looks like the Admiral set us all up …”

“Don’t be so quick to jump to conclusions, Jeremy. You don’t know that for a fact.”

“I agree with Jeremy, Huw. He must have known and expected something …”

“Of course, he did. That’s why all of you are here and were there!”

“But he did not tell us everything, did he, Huw? I mean what we’re facing is much more than a Soviet GRU operation … We could have easily dealt with just two GRU agents, one of whom was a young woman … Although that nerve agent …”

“Again, Huw, I have to agree with Jeremy. You know what this really looks like … don’t deny it!”

“And nothing has happened here.”

“Not for the want of trying, Jeremy, as D.C.I. Snapper informed me. The police are doing a fine job, outside, keeping us all safe. Now, calm down, Jeremy. I know that they are all your friends and, in particular, there’s Sylvia …”

“And her friends and mine,” interrupted Giles, hotly, thankful that Marielle Kerbriant had not needed to join them.

“Not to mention that, despite the Admiral’s glib assurances to Lord Trevelver, it is because of Lord and Lady Trevelver, not the Admiral, that you, ‘Young Bill’ with his boarhounds, not to mention your comrades, are all here, admit it, Huw!…

“Yes, yes.” Huw rubbed his forehead. “Venting is all well and good, lads, as far as it goes, but we’re here to review our security arrangements in the light of what we now know. I spoke with Lord Trevelver, just now, and I’m staying and so are all my comrades from T-Force, for as long as necessary. Together, we’re more than capable of taking care of all conventional threats …”

“But it is the unconventional threats, Huw …”

“Yes, yes, Jeremy. I recommend that we work on the hypothesis that the Porton Down autopsy will disclose that they have discovered another small impenetrable metallic globe in the GRU man's brain … That he had, in fact, been a Dalek roboman. If there were two Dalek robomen GRU agents, we must assume that there will be more, even if no actual Daleks have appeared. The technology he was carrying was certainly far more sophisticated than anything the Soviets could come up with even if the nerve agent on the rose stems, probably, was a Soviet chemical weapon. Now, I know that the Admiral keeps wishing that the Doctor was back from distant Rockall and categorically refuses to consult with his ‘silly teenage granddaughter’ …”

“I think he changed his mind, at least somewhat, after this evening. He was talking with her for quite some minutes outside, Huw.”

“Ah, interesting, Jeremy. I did not know that. Despite what you may think, the Admiral is no-one’s fool! Giles, see if Susan is still up and invite her to join us, alone, will you, please. It’s high time we brought her fully into our counsels. Ask Christian to join us, too, will you.”

“Yes, Huw. We will do what is ordered and at every command, we will be ready!” he replied.

As Giles left, he heard Jeremy remark that that was two more replacement bodies that would have to be delivered to the Soviets in plain coffins but, again, there would be no evidence delivered of any otherworldly technology.

“I don’t know how he does it, Jeremy, I mean the substitute bodies. Although, of course, the cover story of a gas explosion makes the job rather easier!” laughed Huw.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal