!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 588835 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6540 on: December 23, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Back to the story and some good guesses ...

They all remembered different things. Some remembered hearing ‘Code Red: Immediate Action!’; all remembered: ‘Eyes closed, hands tightly over eyes, head on the table, NOW brace yourself!’; Catala remembered Christian thrusting her face down on the table and Fermin and his Canadian friend, Rae Anne, being similarly forced down by their neighbours, as did the two young Californians, Amy and Lana, by the men on either side of them; some remembered hearing the command: ‘Do not touch the roses!’, only two remembered the order: ‘The rose girl flat on the floor, now!’; some remembered seeing a piercing beam of light; all remembered sudden and utter darkness; some remembered a brilliant cone of light; some remembered the thud of bodies hitting the floor; some remembered the sound of something heavy crashing into the front door and the sound of wood and glass breaking, then something slowly sliding down; all remembered waking, at varying times, to headaches of varying degrees of intensity, cuts, abrasions, and bruises, amidst a chaotic table and some overturned chairs, seeing wavering candlelight, smelling spilt beer and vodka, and something metallic, and hearing brisk orders from Detective Chief Inspector Snapper and another man dressed like a chef, translated into Polish by Sophia, the three standing calmly amidst a scene of bloody destruction. Susan, her black and white Mary Quant handbag hanging open on her shoulder, was quietly calming down the distraught restaurant owner whilst giving a series of instructions to Jeremy and a couple of his team, whilst Giles and his team were comforting the young women, many of whom were sobbing, some hysterically, only Sylvia and Enka Lou-Lou seeming to be unaffected. One of the Polish regulars, like many of the men ex-military, was, similarly, taking charge amidst a torrent of rapid Polish exclamations and questions from all about him. Brooms, brushes, mops and buckets were being used most energetically by the young men. Two old plastic tablecloths appeared, one being placed on the floor and the other inside the shattered entrance. Soon, the sound of motor vehicles rapidly arriving could be heard accompanied by ringing bells.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:43:52 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6541 on: December 23, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
That was, indeed, a very large rat that I smelled.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6542 on: December 24, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from All at Cant Cove, Penmayne & Wadebridge, Past and Present!

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #6543 on: December 24, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
Thank you, to you too Chris  :beers:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #6544 on: December 24, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
And to you Chris from all here. Have a great break.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6545 on: December 24, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »
And Happy Christmas to you too Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6546 on: December 24, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Another HAPPY CHRISTMAS Chris,

Hope you have a lovely break and too many lovely Czech beers!!!

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:  :beers:

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #6547 on: December 24, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
Merry Christmas Chris!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6548 on: December 25, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »
Many thanks to you all. Greetings from a snow-free eastern Slovakia.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6549 on: December 26, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
 :hellosign:
     Many thanks Chris all the best to you and yours, looking forward to more
           regards Derek

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6550 on: December 27, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
Thank you, you too, Derek. As requested ...

Awakening, Sylvia surveyed the central ridge of plates and overturned glasses that ran raggedly along the centre of the line of their tables then, groaning from the pain in her head, looked around her. Most of her female friends were still slumped over the table whilst overturned chairs marked where the males had leapt up. She was very relieved to see that Jeremy was up and giving orders to his team, seemingly none the worse for the blast. Most of the men, including those led by Giles and Richard, were busily engaged, helped by some of the Polish regulars, in tidying up operations. Sylvia turned to Eli, one place away, and, slowly getting up, walked over to her. She was still unconscious but breathing steadily. Again, slowly, Sylvia worked her away around the table to where Angela was tentatively raising her head.

“Wake up, Angela, please. The girls nearest the door are covered with blood and we need to clean them up and check for wounds from the fragments.”

Just as she had expected, her friend rose and replied, “Yes, of course.”

As the two friends moved around the table, the man in chef’s uniform said, “Miss Trevelver, isn’t it?”

Sylvia nodded. “Yes, I am.”

“Got your cheque book, handy, Miss Trevelver?”

“Yes, in my handbag, there. Why?”

“Pay whatever you think reasonable to this man, here.” He pointed to the distraught owner, who sat by the kitchen entrance, head in hands, being comforted by the older of the two waitresses.

“Tell Captain Jeremy the amount and HM Government will transfer it plus, shall we say 3% for your trouble, tomorrow, to your Chelsea bank account.”

Sylvia glared at him, “Now, I know who you must be! You’re Admiral Tregowan, aren’t you. You’re the one who thinks of us as just pawns in your game! You’re the one happy to put us all in danger, not just, this evening but repeatedly. I don’t want one farthing of your 3%. I’ll happily pay this poor man who you have also knowingly …”

“Come, now, Sylvi. Don’t waste your breath on this man,” urged Angela. “There’s those who need our help.”

“Yes, of course, Angela. You’re right. But, you … my father will hear ALL about this!”

“But, of course, Miss Trevelver. But, just like you, Lord Trevelver has signed his agreement to abide by the restrictions of the Official Secrets Act, as amended in 1950 …”

Sylvia turned her back on him, her face flushed red with anger. “Let’s go, Angela!”

“We’ll help you,” stated two of the older Polish women coming to them, whilst others tended to those on the regulars’ side of the room, including soothing the crying babies. “We’ll take wounded to kitchen. Plenty hot water and clean cloths.”

“Thank you. Dziękuję Ci,” replied Sylvia, taking a deep breath.

The four women carefully examined those who had been seated nearest the door: Jim, Monique, Phil, Amanda, and Jenny, all of whom were slumped over the table and covered in blood and metallic and other debris. Fortunately, both Sylvia and Angela had been trained in First Aid and the two Polish women said that they were trained nurses as they began their work. As expected, having taken the full sideways force of the blast, Jim and Monique were in the worst physical condition. Close by, the unconscious young woman who had been carrying the roses, was laid out on one of the old plastic tablecloths, just inside the restaurant entrance, and one of Giles’s team, who was a medical doctor in civilian life, was carefully examining her.

“I think you saved her, Sophia. She’ll live if we can get her to hospital, very soon.”

“She saved me. I threw myself at her and brought her down but then she rolled on top of me just as the explosion happened,” replied Sophia in between translating for Sylvia as she tried to get their host to begin to give an estimate of the extensive damages.

There was a loud knock on the entrance’s door frame.

“Recovery team reporting,” stated their leader as he led three uniformed men in. They were all dressed as Gas Board men.

Thrusting his way through, the Admiral greeted him briskly. “Right, we have what remains of a body to be taken away for detailed forensic examination. You’ll find everything in a plastic tablecloth just behind you.

“Yes, we saw it as we entered. Good work, whoever had to take care of that.”

There was another, similar knock and a uniformed police sergeant entered. This time it was Snapper’s turn to greet the arrival.

“Report, Sergeant.”

“As instructed in the case of anything untoward occurring, this evening, we have constables blocking all access to the street at both ends and I’ve cleared the pavements and instructed everyone else to stay indoors because of the risk of a further … gas explosion. Only the ambulances were let through. No press.”

“Good work, sergeant. Keep the journalists and anyone else there. Right, time to get this young woman and all the injured off to the nearest hospital with emergency facilities.”

“Wait, Snapper. This is not a civilian operation. Those ambulances will take them to a secure military hospital where they can be protected ...”

“And kept away from prying eyes?” interrupted the detective.

“That should go without saying, Snapper,” replied the Admiral, blandly. “You have prior experience of dealing with such matters with … these people,” his right arm swept behind him indicating the young men and women. “And this is NOT a crime scene, so no need to bring in your forensic people.”

Snapper swallowed hard. “Yes, understood ... Admiral”

The leader of the Recovery Team approached. “Everything tidied away in our van, sir. With your permission, we’re off to the forensic lab. in Porton Down. The preliminary report will be on your desk first thing tomorrow morning, sir.”

“Yes; off you go!” ordered the Admiral. “Two civilian Landrovers full of Scots Guards commanded by Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart will be waiting for you a little beyond the police cordon, one will take up position in front, commanded by the Colonel, and one behind you. You’re under the Colonel’s orders. Do not stop for anyone else or anything until you’re safely inside Porton Down!”

“No, sir!” The officer saluted and led his team out. Four ambulance men then entered, two carrying a stretcher.

“Take the young woman, here, off to intensive care” instructed the young medical doctor, thrusting his way forward between the Admiral and the detective. “Then, you two, help me, the nurses and the helpers with the others. They’re being cleaned up ready for detailed examination. The worst injured will leave in the remaining ambulance, as quickly as possible.”

“I’ve called for a third ambulance for the others,” stated Jeremy, quietly, joining the three men inside the entrance.

“Good,” was the brusque response from the Admiral. “They’ll know where to take them.”
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:10:45 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6551 on: December 27, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
That's worth another "flippin' 'eck".  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6552 on: December 27, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
That's worth another "flippin' 'eck".  :thumbsup:
But Chris did rather telegraph it, methinks.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6553 on: December 27, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »
Thanks, David and, yes, as Laurence points out, I rather did.

“Won’t a London Gas Board van outside London look rather conspicuous, Admiral?” asked the disgruntled detective.

“There’s a much larger anonymous lorry waiting in a layby, outside the built-up area, into which the van will drive up a ramp, Snapper.”

“I see. You had everything well-planned.”

“Of course. That’s what we do.”

“That’s the last of the injured loaded into the final ambulance,” reported Jeremy, accompanied by Giles, as they stood next to the two men. “Misses Foreman and Trevelver insist in accompanying us to the secure hospital, tomorrow, to check up on our injured friends.”

“Good. You have my authority to do so. I’ll leave you and your men to complete the clean-up, then. All the debris not needed at Porton Down, can be loaded, along with all the cleaning equipment, in the second London Gas Board van which is now outside with the two replacements for the injured men. You will need to fully brief them back in Chelsea, of course.”

“Yes, sir.”

Then turning to survey the room, the Admiral continued. “The owner can buy replacement items and have the place redecorated better, much better, than before, with the compensation. Your carpenters can fit a temporary door, Roskrow, I’m sure.”

“Yes, of course, Admiral. The timber and tarpaulins have arrived in one of the Black Cabs to take the ladies who are left, back. Once the entrance’s secure, we’ll be off to Chelsea, too. The regulars and staff have been strictly warned not to say a word and secure taxis called for them, too.”

“Good. I had been hoping that Miss Foreman could have rid their memories of tonight’s events. But, alas, Mr. Roskrow here, has informed me, she is unable to. I don’t want any further debacles, like this evening!”

“No, sir!”

“Carry on, Captain Cador.”

“Yes, sir! We will do what is ordered and at every command, we will be ready!”

Susan, her black and white Mary Quant handbag still hanging open on her shoulder, had left the restaurant owner being comforted by the older waitress and, after spending some time carefully briefing Jeremy and his team, walked over to Sylvia. But, before Susan could speak with her friend, the Admiral, having dismissed Jeremy, turned to her.

“Ah, Miss Foreman, a word or two, please. Then, I must be off, gentlemen. The Prime Minister and the Minister of Defence are impatiently waiting, in Whitehall, for my personal report on this evening’s most regrettable … events. Let’s quickly step outside, shall we, Miss Foreman. Time is pressing!”

“If you, insist, Admiral.”

“Yes, with your Grandfather’s extended, and most inconvenient, absence on Rockall, I do insist. Let’s go, now! I’ll lead the way!”

To Sylvia, Susan looked like a schoolgirl who had been caught, by the headmaster, smoking behind the bicycle shed and summoned to his study, as she followed him through the shattered entrance.

About a quarter of an hour later, as the young men, still ably assisted by some of the Polish regulars, completed the last of the cleaning, Susan reappeared looking very put out.

“Did the Admiral warn you, in advance, Susan, of any of … this?” Sylvia gestured at the now clean and reasonably tidy room which smelt strongly of chlorine-based disinfectant.

“No, I knew nothing more specific than you did, Sylvi, otherwise I would have been better prepared, but I do have psychic powers, thank goodness,” she whispered. “I’ll tell you more, much more, once we’re, what’s left of us, safely indoors, again. The two Black Cabs are parked outside. There are blankets inside.”

“To keep us warm after the shock we’ve all experienced?”

“No, Sylvi, the Admiral told me, to cover our heads and faces as we pass through the police cordon and past the waiting press photographers.”
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:50:27 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6554 on: December 28, 2019, 10:40:04 AM »
 :hellosign:
   Many thanks Chris, I'll just say golly gosh whatever next
         regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00