!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 588189 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6510 on: December 12, 2019, 06:06:48 AM »
Thanks all.
Mike @maridunian . I too think they are a tad too long, I’ll try making Mk 2 a little smaller.
Chris, I think the photo distorts a bit.
They’re actually stacked 3 high with 4 in the second pile.
Not sure about making a whole carriage full though. As you say, that carriage would hold a lot.
Maybe some were released 10 miles further back. These pigeons are professionals and can handle the greater distance  :D
Martin

My apologies, Martin. It was a bit difficult to see them. I think they look fine. A longer line of them stacked four high, like in the photo. would be good, too?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6511 on: December 12, 2019, 06:09:51 AM »
Have a look at the photo half-way down this page: https://www.lep.co.uk/retro/my-madcap-summer-job-on-preston-railway-station-1-9250887

@port perran These baskets seem larger than discussed above. Seem to be plenty of examples out there, eg https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/128-pigeon-traffic-historical

Given the skulduggery we sometimes read about in those parts, might there even be some cheating from time to time?

Mike

I think they look fine at normal viewing distance, Mike. However, a longer line of them stacked four high, like in the photo. would be good, too?

Funny, you should mention this: "Given the skulduggery, we sometimes read about in those parts, might there even be some cheating?" Martin will be reporting on this following the return to Cornwall of a well-known local villain!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6512 on: December 12, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »
Just then they heard the impatient toot of a motor coach’s horn outside the house. Huw, glancing at his waistcoat fob watch, announced that it was the coach with his former T-Force comrades.

“Well, Huw, it’s definitely a motor coach,” confirmed Richard cautiously. “The driver seems to be annoyed that there are two taxis preventing it parking right outside!”

“Are you sure it is your comrades, Huw?” asked Giles. “Cover him, Phil and Jim.”

Phil and Jim went to retrieve their weapons then stood to either side of Huw as he opened the front door then, before they could say anything, hurried down the steps to greet his old friends as they marched off the coach, past the two Black Cabs, to stand at the bottom of the steps and salute.

“I recognise that gang of old disreputables!” laughed Giles as he, too, made his way past Phil and Jim.

“Not so much of the old!” called Huw who, after solemnly returning their salute, warmly shook each man’s right hand before embracing some particularly memorable comrades.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6513 on: December 14, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
The first of those on the guest list, to arrive at the tiny ‘Cafe Daquise’, a famous Polish Restaurant, situated in the heart of South Kensington, near South Kensington Tube, was as ordered, Detective Chief Inspector Snapper. After knocking on the locked front door and showing his warrant card, unhappily but carefully, Snapper began his inspection starting with the wartime blackout curtains that still hung inside the front windows. Satisfied, he slowly walked around the dining room, carefully studying the yellow walls, oiled tablecloths, chipped crockery, and plastic flowers that were, somehow, all part of its unique charm before entering the kitchen to methodically check that all was in order there, too. Before meticulously examining the supplies of food and drink, he introduced himself to the restaurant’s chefs in their old-fashioned toque chef's hats. As previously instructed, Snapper showed no hint of recognition of one of them, whilst inwardly groaning at his covert presence.

On a more positive note, Snapper saw that, as ordered, stacked in one corner, there were several BR WR paper labelled crates of “Castle Spring” mineral water, both sparkling and still. Taking his leave of the chefs, his careful examinations over, the detective picked up a bottle and, after careful study, opened it and poured its sparkling contents into a glass offered to him by the head waiter standing with the owner just outside the kitchen door. Satisfied, if still far from happy at such a menial enforced task, glass in hand, the detective then took his place in the room’s top left hand corner where he could watch who came through the heavy red velvet curtains that, suspended from a semi-circular brass rail, hid the front door and kept out winter draughts, as was the custom throughout central and eastern Europe.

Almost immediately he had settled, Snapper heard the familiar sound of two Black Cabs drawing up. Followed by the owner and the headwaiter, the detective rose and, impatiently parting the heavy curtains, strode through to the front door and looked out.

“It’s Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador and party. Unlock the door. Dziękuję,” Snapper ordered.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6514 on: December 15, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »
A breathless and flushed Catala and Christian had just arrived at ‘Cafe Daquise’ directly from their hotel; whilst Fermin and his Canadian friend, Rae Anne, along with her two laughing Californian young female backpacker friends, Amy and Lana, had arrived before them, having been collected from their youth hostel in the second of the Admiral’s ‘Black Cabs’.

“It’s a good job we have three houses and not just the one to accommodate us all, afterwards!” laughed Angela.

After everyone was seated around joined tables on one side of the room, men alternating with women, as far as possible, the regulars, assorted ex-pat Poles, arrived, each being warmly greeted by the owner who quickly explained the presence of so many strangers seated opposite them. The old men then slowly discarded their well-worn thick coats and unwound faded warm scarves to be seated in their accustomed order, before tossing down shot glasses of vodka; while family groups passed round fat gurgling babies for all to admire as they exchanged the latest gossip.

Assured that the regulars were all being well looked after by their regular waitress, the owner then stood in front of the assembled group and, after welcoming them, explained in heavily accented English that the legendary ‘Cafe Daquise’ had now been serving delicious, traditional Polish cuisine for over sixteen years. Since 1947, when ‘Daquise’ opened and there were around 150,000 Poles living in the U.K. it had, their host continued, welcomed many esteemed guests and played a small part in the history of both London and Poland. Edward Raczynski, the President of Poland in exile, who had appointed the cafe his unofficial headquarters and planned many campaigns to overthrow the Communist regime from its tables, regularly stopped by for dumplings and goulash, their host proudly concluded.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6515 on: December 19, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
After the restaurant’s owner had left them to consult the simple and well-thumbed menus, Jeremy very quietly explained to Sylvia, seated to his right, that the ‘Daquise’ had played a role in the Profumo affair, of that summer. “It had”, he continued, as Sylvia leaned closer to hear, “begun with a brief intimate relationship, in 1961, between John Profumo, the UK’s then Secretary of State for War in Harold Macmillan's Conservative government, and Christine Keeler, a 19-year-old English model and topless showgirl.”

“Yes, it was in all the papers,” Sylvia replied. “My parents were quite shocked. I wondered, though, whether we were being told the full truth … But, what’s the connection with here?”

“Well, the ‘Daquise’ played host to Christine Keeler and her companion, Yevgeni Ivanov, who she knew as the naval attaché of the Soviet Embassy.”

“But”, Sophia, seated on Jeremy’s left side, quietly added, “Ivanov was a GRU, the Russian foreign military-intelligence agency, spy!”

“Time to change the subject, I think, Sophia!” Jeremy then explained that, even if the restaurant’s dishes could, perhaps, be considered stodgy by some, they were wonderfully authentic and served in robust portions. “Truly”, he smiled, raising his voice to be heard by everyone, “with the Polish Platter ordered for all of them, in advance, we are about to enjoy a glimpse of a past Poland!” Applause and a clicking of vodka glasses followed from the regulars seated opposite, which Jeremy acknowledged with a graceful bow followed by raising his first vodka and draining it in one, much to Sylvia’s whispered concern.

As they carefully studied the menu, Sophia happily observed that all the classic Polish specialties were present – from the giant pork knuckle to the beetroot soup, as were, Sylvia added, the old faithful, Continental dishes such as almond trout, roast duck and schnitzel, that were so familiar to her and Eli from their travels.

“But I'm here for homely Polish food,” interrupted Sophia with a grin, “not so different from those served in Ruthenia, pirogi, which are,” she explained, “ravioli-like dumplings stuffed with minced pork, mushrooms and cabbage or cheese, golabki cabbage rolls, platski potato pancakes and, of course, the bigos meat and cabbage hunter's stew, all of which just happen to feature on the special Polish Platter awaiting each of us,” she grinned.

“So, that's the main course then,” laughed Eli. “I just hope that you boys are starving, as us girls won't be able to manage all of that on our own, even though we’ve only had a few of Eli’s delicious snacks since breakfast!”

This was swiftly pronounced to be no problem by Richard and his happy colleagues.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:21:05 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6516 on: December 19, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
I like it when a work of fiction incorporates real life events.  :thumbsup: (Looking forward to the new series on BBC regarding Christine Keeler).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6517 on: December 19, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
I like it when a work of fiction incorporates real life events.  :thumbsup:

:hellosign:
 Very much agreed, interesting story Chris.
       regards Derek

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #6518 on: December 19, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
The pigeon baskets look pretty good, some variance in shade would enhance the pile, but a good go at them  :thumbsup:

Caught up on your thread Chris, but was unable to see any of your pics, I started at Pg 427, but even back further than that I can't see them ... guessing it is me as no-one else has mentioned it ... but I can see all the other forum members pics  :(     (even those posted in your thread) ... have tried 3 different browsers, and all I get with them all is a grey box

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6519 on: December 20, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
The pigeon baskets look pretty good, some variance in shade would enhance the pile, but a good go at them  :thumbsup:

Caught up on your thread Chris, but was unable to see any of your pics, I started at Pg 427, but even back further than that I can't see them ... guessing it is me as no-one else has mentioned it ... but I can see all the other forum members pics  :(     (even those posted in your thread) ... have tried 3 different browsers, and all I get with them all is a grey box

Thanks, Andrew. I'm not sure what has happened with the photos. It might be a Photobucket error? I will try to post some new photos.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6520 on: December 20, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
I like it when a work of fiction incorporates real life events.  :thumbsup: (Looking forward to the new series on BBC regarding Christine Keeler).

Thanks, Derek and Dannyboy. I also like it when a work of fiction incorporates real-life events and, now I have some free time, I will get on with it!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6521 on: December 20, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
A test photo.! A recent arrival, ex-works from Swindon, 28xx № 3862 (formerly of Plymouth Laira, 83D, December 1953 to June 1962) and preserved by the GWS (Penmayne).

https://www.dropbox.com/photos?_tk=web_left_nav_bar&role=personal

Built to a modified Churchward design, this Collett 2-8-0 was turned out from Swindon works in November 1942.

№ 3862 went new to Oxford shed where it was immediately pressed into service on the vital movement of wartime goods and supplies. Remaining here until October 1947 this 2-8-0 then moved to Pontypool Road for a six year period before going onto Plymouth (Laira) at the end of 1953.

№ 3862 soon settled down on the usual pattern of heavy freight duties up and down the west of England main line although, according to a comment in a leading railway magazine of the mid 1950s, it spent so much time west of Plymouth during 1956 that it would have been easier to shed the loco at Penzance.

In real life, instead of early preservation, transferred to Cardiff Canton in July 1962 and then Cardiff East Dock just one month later, № 3862 was finally allocated to Croes Newydd in September 1963, being withdrawn from there in February 1965 and arrived at Woodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry, in July 1965. The locomotive was purchased by the LNWR Preservation Society in 1987 and departed from Barry on 10th April 1989.

You can follow the restoration of № 3862 at the locomotive’s own website: www.3862.com
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:54:04 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6522 on: December 20, 2019, 04:49:16 PM »
Alas, it seems that Photobucket is still experiencing problems.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6523 on: December 20, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »
It’s now very easy to add photos direct to the forum without involving third party sites, Chris.
Message me if you need help.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #6524 on: December 21, 2019, 12:42:18 AM »
I am able to just upload a saved pic from my PC via the Add image to post and upload to gallery link that sits just above this text box. I'm not using any other software like Photobucket.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal