!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 560020 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6495 on: December 08, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
Courtesy of the TARDIS we make a brief detour to Cant Cove in the 1980s and a through train of Continental goods stock hauled by a BR InterCity livery Class 47!

47 487

{My apologies, the photos. were taken in a hurry, hence the mixed up cars, and in artificial light which gave a pinkish hue to the reds.]

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #6496 on: December 08, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
... Cant Cove in the 1980s and a through train of Continental goods stock ...

Loving the Migros Suisse one!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6497 on: December 08, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »
... Cant Cove in the 1980s and a through train of Continental goods stock ...

Loving the Migros Suisse one!

Cheers  :beers:

Thanks. I'd been looking for a very good Minitrix one for months. The INTERFRIGO is another excellent Minitrix van and the car transporter and Class 47 are Minitrix, too! 8-)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6498 on: December 08, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Hi Chris,

I didn't realise (or maybe remember  ???) that you ever went that far forward with the eras. Interesting. Is the loco a 'guest' or yours for now and again running?

Nice to see something a bit different.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6499 on: December 08, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Many thanks Chris (IP), totally agree with Chris (Weave) very nice.   :thumbsup:
         regards Derek

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6500 on: December 08, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »
Hi Chris,

I didn't realise (or maybe remember  ???) that you ever went that far forward with the eras. Interesting. Is the loco a 'guest' or yours for now and again running?

Nice to see something a bit different.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Thanks, Chris (Weave). No problem. The InterCity Minitrix Class 47 was a very early purchase and had been waiting for some years to get DCC-fitted as it was at the back of the queue. I've always been a big Minitrix fan having once had a BR Blue Class 27 and 42 (which I plan to buy, again). Yes, Cant Cove can have BR Blue era and "Railfreight" trains and even early InterCity livery so can match with your layouts in the 1980s. 8-) I, mainly have BR Blue locos., pre TOPS but "County of Norfolk" is an exception.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6501 on: December 08, 2019, 04:01:55 PM »
BACK TO 1963 (August):

As Eli and Enka Lou Lou approached the bedroom door, they heard the sound of it being unlocked from the inside and then it being opened.

“Oh, hello, Susan.”

“Hello, Eli … oh, Enka Lou Lou! How wonderful to see you!”

The two friends embraced.

“That’s a wonderful dress, Susan,” stated Eli as Susan stood in front of them smiling with her coat over one arm and a black Mary Quant evening bag in hand.

“I’m delighted you like it, Eli. It’s a Mary Quant original specially made for me. You’ll find a surprise hanging behind the door for Sylvi. See you, downstairs, very soon!”

“Yes, Susan. So, Enka, the bathroom is across the corridor, you can borrow anything you need there then get dressed in your room, here. I’ll bring in your suitcase from the pile the boys brought up from the hall and my clothes. We must hurry! We don’t want our bigos, hunter's stew, Poland's national dish, to get cold, do we!”

“That sounds hearty, Eli. Don’t worry! I’m used to getting dressed quickly. I’m not Sofi!”

True to form, Sofi was the last to join the group impatiently waiting in the front room. As she entered the room, head held high, everyone had to admit that it had been well worth the wait. She was wearing a figure-hugging dress of shimmering blue silk trimmed with red-gold braid at the edge of the plunge neck, long sleeves and three-quarter length hem above a pair of sparkling silver stilettos. Her thick black eyebrows arched in perfect curves across a smooth brow framed by perfectly arranged wavy shiny black hair. Matching long, glossy black lashes framed her large brown sparkling eyes above her narrow nose set above full, shining red lips. Like all Sofi’s features, her ears were in perfect proportion with the whole: small, delicate and hung with long plaited red-gold earrings matching the necklace circling her slim neck. Regally, she regarded the hushed room.

“We’ve got everything in order, Jeremy,” stated, Huw, breaking the stunned silence. “Now that Miss Sofia has joined us you can leave. ‘Young Bill’ has set Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis on guard, one in each back garden and given them the requisite commands. I can take care of the rest.”

“All on your own, Huw?” asked Jeremy as the others rose and made their way out to the waiting taxis.

“No, even I can’t take care of three houses!” laughed Trevelver Castle’s Head Butler.

“So?”

“So, Jeremy ... I will be joined, this evening, by some of my old comrades from T-Force. Three times as many, in fact, as I will need to … guard all three houses! No alcohol will be allowed but, as recompense, there will be a grand Christmas Reunion Party, in December, all expenses paid by HM Government. Now, go and enjoy yourselves!”
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:15:02 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6502 on: December 11, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
Pigeon Baskets
We were talking about releasing racing pigeons a while back so I had a go at making a few pigeon baskets. Hmmmm.
Let’s assume that they’ve just been unloaded from the BG and the official will soon be releasing the pigeons.
The boxes don’t stand up to close scrutiny although I could make them neater (including the painting) but at a distance they aren’t too bad (or am I being kind to myself?).
The light has made them look yellower than they really are. I was trying to replicate wicker colour.
What do people think? Don’t worry about being critical.
Martin

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:32:49 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6503 on: December 11, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
They don't look too bad. When all is said and done, a model, be it a carriage or a pigeon basket, is only a representation of the original.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #6504 on: December 11, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
I think the colour's fine - but they must have varied with age and usage.

Are they a bit long? Look like a 2-man lift size?

Dimensions would be approx.: 29" X 18" X 10" high in real life. OR: Width: 800mm, Depth: 400mm, Height: 220mm. Hope that helps. Pete. 8-)
That would make each basket only 5.0mmx3mmx1.8mm so individual baskets probably a non starter, however big banks of baskets as per the photos is a more realistic proposition.
Generating the 3D model is a different issue though.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with 3D printing for such a simple shape. Two 5mm lengths of (free) wooden coffee stirrer stacked and glued together gives you a pigeon box. Stain brown. Maybe Sharpie three edges of the top slice black to match the first example above. Roughly 20 baskets per stirrer. Simples!

Reflecting on this, you could speed things up by sharpie-ing one edge of one stirrer, glue face-to-face to another stirrer, then when dry cut 5mm lengths off the combined plank.  Even simpleser!

Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:46:55 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6505 on: December 11, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
Thank you, Martin. I think they look very good. Next, you could try a longer line of them stacked, say three high? Those BGPs could hold a LOT of pigeon baskets. (Next year, we want to have some shorter, lower capacity, ex-LNER pigeon vans.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:41:58 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6506 on: December 11, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »
Thanks all.
Mike @maridunian . I too think they are a tad too long, I’ll try making Mk 2 a little smaller.
Chris, I think the photo distorts a bit.
They’re actually stacked 3 high with 4 in the second pile.
Not sure about making a whole carriage full though. As you say, that carriage would hold a lot.
Maybe some were released 10 miles further back. These pigeons are professionals and can handle the greater distance  :D
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #6507 on: December 11, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »
Thanks all.
Mike @maridunian . I too think they are a tad too long, I’ll try making Mk 2 a little smaller.

Knowing nothing about pigeon transport, I was taking Chris's typical dimensions and Dizz's N Gauge scalings of those (above). The fancier (?) needs to lift the box either by one hand (top carry handle) or a stack of 3/4 of them with a hand under each side of the bottom one.

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #6508 on: December 11, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
Have a look at the photo half-way down this page: https://www.lep.co.uk/retro/my-madcap-summer-job-on-preston-railway-station-1-9250887

@port perran These baskets seem larger than discussed above. Seem to be plenty of examples out there, eg https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/128-pigeon-traffic-historical

Given the skulduggery we sometimes read about in those parts, might there even be some cheating from time to time?

Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:02:38 PM by maridunian »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6509 on: December 11, 2019, 11:10:03 PM »
 :hellosign:
  I think at normal viewing distance the pigeon boxes look fine, nice one Martin.
       regards Derek

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal