!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 617643 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6450 on: November 17, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »
BACK TO THE STORY:

“Some good news, Susan.” Sylvi smiled. “Giles told me that one of those secure Black Cabs will be delivering Jeremy, here, under guard, this evening, and that he should be well enough to come with us all to the restaurant, this evening. Angela’s booked the whole restaurant for us as they don’t have a private room or, at least, one big enough for all of us at what she says is the best restaurant in London, but we know what Angela’s taste in food’s like! We might all need more of the excellent food that Eli’s busy preparing in the kitchen!”

They both laughed.

“That's great news, Sylvia. I'm very happy for you. Really I am.” She squeezed her friend's hand.

“Thanks, Susan. I know you are. Because of the security arrangements, Angela has had to tell Giles and his team where we’re all going this evening. It’s the ‘Cafe Daquise’, a famous Polish Restaurant, near South Kensington Tube. Very unusually, Huw Jenkins is going to be staying here, Giles told me, but, first, he has to collect someone from Waterloo station ... And not only Catala and Christian are coming, here, later this afternoon, from their hotel, but also Fermin and his Canadian friend, Rae Anne, along with her two Californian young female backpacker friends, Amy and Lana, are being collected from their youth hostel in another one of the Admiral’s ‘Black Cabs’ and brought here. It’s a good job we have three houses and not just the one to accommodate them all!”

“Good old, Angela. She might like simple cuisine, but she’s not only got a … heart of gold but is a superb organiser. Tracking down everyone and organising these … ‘get togethers’, can’t have been at all easy given the state of tech. in the 1960s ...”

“She certainly is a superb organiser, Susan. They’ll all be staying in these three houses, under armed guard until next Friday evening’s special surprise evening … Giles called it, the Grand Finale! DCI Snapper’s in London, too, and invited.”

“Hmm, Sylvi, that sounds somewhat … ominous!”

“Yes, it does! But, Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart will be attending, next Friday, too. And now,” Sylvia smiled, “tell me the contents of that little bag?”

“I'm keeping that secret, for now, even from you, Sylvi. It's better that way. Sorry.”
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:02:15 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6451 on: November 18, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
“Chelsea, the ‘World's End’ pub, 459 King's Road, please, driver,” announced Giles Roskrow as he got into one of the two ‘Black Cabs waiting outside. “Then Waterloo station.”

“Right away, sir.”

Arriving at the three-storey corner building with its distinctive red brick and stone dressings and banding, Giles walked through to the quiet back bar, sat at the counter, ordered a ‘Schweppes’ tonic with ice and lemon and opened a copy of the racing newspaper, ‘The Sporting Life’.

Almost immediately, a tall immaculately dressed handsome young businessman, expensive briefcase in hand, approached him.

“Is this stool free?” he asked with the faintest trace of a German accent, before adding, “Dick Black,” in a whisper.

“Yes, it is. Turpin Bess,” again the passphrase being spoken very quietly.

“Ah.” The young man beamed, adding softly, “You must be Giles Roskrow,” as they shook hands, briefly, but firmly.

“Yes. Pleased to meet you. And you must be sent by the Admiral ...”

“Indeed, I am. May I borrow your newspaper for a minute, Giles?” spoken more loudly.

“Yes, of course. You follow the horses?”

The young man nodded enthusiastically.

“I have marked the horses I reckon to win,” smiled Giles.

“Have you indeed! I will be sure to study them with the greatest interest.”

The immaculately dressed young man took out a small leather-bound notebook and, extracting its little golden pencil, made careful notes as he studied.

“Thank you, most interesting choices, Giles. Alas, I must leave to collect my young lady from Mary Quant's shop.”

“Yes, I know, ‘BAZAAR’, it’s here, on the Kings Road.”

“Yes, indeed. A perfect place for her to wait for me. Here's your newspaper back. I thank you.”

As he began to carefully fold up the newspaper, he swiftly slipped a piece of paper from a jacket sleeve inside it across the page fold where it would be held in place.

“Until we see each other, again, Giles.”

Again, they shook hands.

“Yes; I look forward to meeting your lady friend” replied Giles, draining the last of his tonic, then leaving some coins on the counter to cover the cost of the drink, plus a generous tip, before leaving, folded newspaper in hand.

Getting into the waiting taxi, he nodded to the driver as he asked him,

“Waterloo station?”

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6452 on: November 19, 2019, 01:27:28 AM »
 :hellosign:
    Many thanks Chris
         regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6453 on: November 23, 2019, 05:34:55 PM »
    Many thanks Chris
         regards Derek

My pleasure, Derek, plenty more to come!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6454 on: November 23, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
After paying the driver, Giles pocketed the cash receipt and thanked him before entering the crowded station.

Stopping to bend down to seemingly adjust an errant shoelace, Giles carefully checked that no one was following him, as he had been taught. It seemed that no one was. He then walked to the entrance to the subterranean Gentlemen's lavatories where he paid the fee and entered a cubicle. After locking the door, he opened the newspaper and removed the piece of paper, studied it, committed its contents to memory then tore it into tiny pieces before flushing them away. Leaving, he threw the newspaper in a nearby rubbish bin and made his way across the bustling concourse to stand under the large four-faced clock which, hanging in the centre of Waterloo station's main concourse, is its traditional meeting place.

Looking up at the arrivals board, Giles saw that the express from Penmayne was, as had been planned, due in shortly. Sure enough, he soon saw the burly tweed-clad figure of Trevelver Castle’s Head Butler, Huw Jenkins, in his best off-duty garments approaching.

Greetings exchanged, they made their way across the busy concourse to an isolated siding by platform 21, in the top left-hand corner of the sprawling terminus. One of Nine Elm’s Waterloo station pilots, No. 82023, a reasonably clean BR Standard 2-6-2T in BR lined black livery, stood at the end coupled to the BR SR Green BR Standard horsebox it had, earlier removed from the stopping train from Salisbury to which it had been added after arriving from Exeter en route from Penmayne via Wadebridge, Halwill and Okehampton. The dark green van’s doors were open and its large, offset ramp down. The Head Butler began whistling the tune of a Cornish folksong, ‘Fish and Tin and Copper’. The tune was immediately taken up from within as William Cayzer, known to all as ‘Young Bill’, also clad in tweets from head to foot, emerged holding the leads of the three massive Cornish Boarhounds known as Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6455 on: November 23, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »

Swindon-built BR Standard 2-6-2T 82023 at Waterloo in 1963 -Tony Gillett

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6456 on: November 24, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
Greetings exchanged, Giles, Huw, and ‘Young Bill’ holding the three boarhounds’ leads, quickly made their way to where a BR Crimson and Cream Ford 400E van and its BR uniformed driver, puffing on a cigarette, stood waiting parked by the Cab Road between platforms 12 and 11.

Dick Black, Turpin Bess passphrases exchanged with the driver, ‘Young Bill’, with Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis quickly climbed into the back, whilst Giles and Huw joined the driver in the front after he had closed the van doors.

“Chelsea?” asked the driver throwing the stub of his cigarette out of his half-open side door window.

“Yes”, replied Giles giving the address of the townhouse the ‘Girls’ rented.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:16:17 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6457 on: November 24, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »

Oxford Models FORD 400E VAN BR BRITISH RAIL
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:49:26 AM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6458 on: November 24, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
As the Ford van pulled out of Waterloo station into the rush-hour traffic, Giles asked Huw about the magnificent boarhounds in the back.

“I’m not surprised you admire them, Giles. Not surprised at all! They are very fine hunters indeed. Very fine! Whenever I get time off, I like nothing better than to accompany these magnificent hounds with our gamekeepers, all ex-Army, as you know.”

Gils nodded. “What do they hunt, Huw?”

“For thousands of years their ancestors have hunted, fought, bled, and died hunting boars and other big game across the lands of the Trevelvers, Giles. They are real boar-hunting dogs that hunt real boars and real hogs. They also hunt real stags. With real antlers. Generation after generation, they were bred to this job by men like our Head Gamekeeper, Jonas Cares, and, just like Jonas was taught by his predecessor, now Jonas is teaching ‘Young Bill’. It is men like Jonas and, of course, the dogs’ ancestors and the work these dogs do, that have made them what they are, today. These dogs work, these dogs get injured, these dogs bleed. Sometimes, these dogs die doing their extremely dangerous job. It’s not something that any of us condones but, inevitably, sometimes it happens. But, very rarely.”

“That’s good to know. What makes a really good boarhound, Huw?”

“Jonas would tell you that, apart from physical fitness and the right build for the job, it takes two very important things, to make a good big-game hunting dog and especially a Cornish boarhound: Guts and Smarts. Guts and Smarts. Without one of these, you have a very dead dog and, maybe, a hunter, too!”

“Guts and Smarts. No different from what makes someone successful in my line of work, then, Huw, and I’m not talking about my drinks business!” he smiled.

“Yes, Giles. It is their Guts and Smarts that make these good dogs, very good dogs, the best dogs! Bloody fine dogs, as Lord Trevelver says. Dogs that deserve our appreciation and respect. Dogs that have more guts and smarts than most people – and far more honesty, manners, breeding and class than many people, today, present company excepted, of course!” Huw smiled. “They are dogs that can teach us a lot of things, Giles. Very few dogs are able to do a day’s job, like these dogs do. Most dogs couldn’t do a day’s work, not even an hour’s work, not even two minutes of what these tough, fighting-fit dogs are able to do since they are pups. They are bred for heart and intelligence and, Giles, they are very intelligent! None more so! Generation after generation, they are tried and tested at a very particular job of work. Like everything else in nature, it is the survivors, the very best, that get the chance to pass on their genes. So, they have been, and continue to be, shaped by a very specific purpose and ability. And they are shaped well. Very well. As you saw, Giles, they are lean, athletic, efficient, agile, fast, able-bodied, with sharp eyes, tight skin, lean muscle not an ounce of fat and a very special kind of spirit. They need their eyes, you see, Giles. What they don’t need is ears like parasols!”

“And how do they differ from their ancestors, Huw?”

“Today’s boarhounds are not much different from their ancestors, Giles, because today’s boar isn’t much different!” Huw laughed. “Times have changed but our boarhounds haven’t changed where it matters, the true test of their fitness: supreme physical and mental efficiency for fulfilling their purpose in life. To hunt. To chase. To hold. To avoid death. To succeed in the struggle for survival. Year after year, century after century, their ancestors caught and held and fought many hundreds of very dangerous, very deadly adversaries, boars and hogs with razor-sharp tusks, mighty stags with magnificent antlers, since they were pups – and they had pups as good as themselves and they, too, lived to a ripe old age.”

“I see, Huw, and that is why Lord Trevelver has sent you two with Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis to Chelsea?”

“Of course, Giles. What could be better to protect what he values most, his beloved daughter and her dear friends, than the three finest, Cornish boarhounds, living today! Each in their prime, the very best of the best. Jonas says that ‘Young Bill’ is ready, more than ready to accompany them and, apart from Jonas himself, no-one knows those three hounds better.”

“And men, Huw, the deadliest adversary of all?”

“Don’t you worry, Giles. These hounds are ready, as are, I know, you and your colleagues. Men and boarhounds in their prime. Trained and prepared for every eventuality. But I must be boring you with praising our boarhounds,” the Head Butler laughed, “and in this traffic, it’ll be a while before we reach Chelsea. Do you know what is the talk of Trevelver Castle and roundabouts?”

“No, Huw, I don’t.”

“Racing pigeons, Giles. Yes, racing pigeons. Flushed with his success with racehorses, in particular, of course, Sir George Widgeon III’s prize racehorse, ‘The Moor’, Sir George has announced a competition, with very attractive prizes, for the fastest racing pigeon from Yorkshire to Cornwall and back. Needless to say, there is already much placing of bets on the favourites!”

“It’s a good job that Alan Poldory is no longer around, then!”

“Yes, indeed, Giles. Last time I heard, he was somewhere here in London! I wonder what he’s up to?”
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:25:04 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6459 on: November 24, 2019, 09:22:55 PM »
     Many thanks Chris
         regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6460 on: November 24, 2019, 09:23:03 PM »

Charon, Scylla and Charybdis from a painting by Lady Penelope Trevelver
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:24:07 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6461 on: November 25, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »
Honoured house guests of Lord and Lady Poldain of Port Perran Manor, Lord and Lady Trevelver were taking a morning stroll in the manor’s beautiful grounds.

“My dear, are you quite ensure that Sylvi, Eli and their friends are quite safe in Chelsea?”

“Yes, of course, Penny. I’ve sent Charon, Scylla, and Charybdis up there with Huw and ‘Young Bill’; nothing and no-one get past any of those boarhounds! Not to mention, Giles and his team are all in place and fully equipped.”

“And Jeremy, thank goodness, should be joining them, today.”

“Yes, my dear. He won’t let anything happen to Sylvi, we can be quite certain of that!”

“You know, Charles, I’d feel more reassured if I didn’t get the distinct feeling that that Admiral Tregowan didn’t have them all in one place like a goat staked out to attract a tiger!”

“Nonsense, Penny. And even if there were any truth in your imaginings, the goats are more than able to protect themselves! Now, let’s go to inspect that new pigeon house of theirs. Sir George Widgeon III’s competition has certainly attracted plenty of interest in Cornwall!”

“Well, Charles, none of our Cornish racehorses can possibly hope to compete with ‘The Moor’, can they?”

“Alas, not, but we’ll be better able to judge that when those horseboxes arrive from the Eastern Region.”

“Enough of racehorses, Charles. I rather fancy our chances with racing pigeons! Our Head Gamekeeper has a cousin up in Yorkshire and has invited him down to supervise our new pigeon loft and has been secretly buying up the best breeding birds to stock it!”

“Ah, good old Jonas, once he sets his mind to something … !”

”Yes, indeed, Charles. Mr. Treskerby has alerted me that a large pigeon van is due from Yorkshire, shortly, at Cant Cove station, packed full of pigeons for release on trial flights! It will be calling at Port Perran, Trepol Bay and Tregonning, too, to release other birds.”

“Well, according to Jonas, the Trevarnons have also been investing in a new pigeon loft over at Tregonning and are no doubt searching for racing pigeons to raise in it, so some of those pigeons may well not be flying to their home!”

“Ah, good old Jonas. Here we are. That is a mighty fine pigeon loft!”

“No expense spared, I see, Charles.”

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6462 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
A young schoolboy and railway enthusiast/trainspotter was bunking off school this morning.
Wandering in the fields about 3 miles west of Quintrell Downs on the Summercourt branch, Tommy Barnicote was in position to witness the passage of the 10.30 Newquay to Tregonning and Summercourt train.
This particular train is usually formed of a single carriage hauled by a prarie tank or occasionally a pannier. Today, however, an additional carriage was attached, the likes of which young Tommy had never seen before :

Luckily Tommy had his box brownie with him to capture the moment.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6463 on: November 26, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
Thank you, Martin, for another excellent photo. Enquiries made to Bill Truscott, the Wadebridge Yardmaster, revealed that the unknown ex-works ER vehicle is coded BGP which he patiently explained, in this case, meant a Gresley designed teak-panelled BG used for pigeon traffic and it was full of wicker baskets of Yorkshire racing pigeons for release throughout Cornwall as part of the preparations for Sir George Widgeon III’s coming competition. The design is really that of a full brake gangwayed (BG) bogie vehicle but fitted with racks for the pigeon baskets. Bill states that is a Diagram 113 which was originally fitted with the GN type ‘Fox’ bogies although some vans later had these replaced by the Gresley 8’ wheelbase ‘Heavy’ single bolster type [which I think this one, the NGS kit has?]. They were built on the earlier riveted Queen post and truss rod underframe. This type of vehicle were fairly common on the LNER, which built dozens of the type to various diagrams in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Although designed for transporting racing pigeons to release locations, with very little modification they can also carry mail or other goods, when not required for their specialised purpose so, with Christmas coming, a similar vehicle may well be seen, again, with Christmas mail and parcels traffic.

A reserved compartment in the accompanying passenger coach conveys the team of convoyers (Homing Pigeon Federation officials responsible for supervising the timed releases) and their luggage. The arrival of an ER passenger coach instead of the normal WR one for use on the branch was another source of great surprise. Unfortunately, the coach had developed a 'hot box' and had to be removed at Newquay and the convoyers and their luggage transferred, much to their annoyance, to the usual BR Standard non-corridor brake second coach used off-season. At least it, too, was ex-works so matched the appearance of the BGP.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 06:56:21 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6464 on: November 29, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
Alan Poldory had never liked jellied eels and had got, literally, very fed up of meat pies, but living above a pie and eels shop, as he currently did, he had no other choice if he was not to venture out on the streets and he had received very strict instructions from the twins, via one of the minor gang members who acted as their surly messenger, not to do so under any circumstances. Then there was the money he had pocketed from the dead Russian known to him as Mr. Smith ... In his barely furnished flat, there was not a single safe hiding place for the banknotes, search as Alan could. He knew better than to spend any of them carelessly and ostentatiously, so they remained virtually untouched distributed about him. Poldory wished that he still had his poacher’s coat with its secret pockets. But more than that, he wished he could have a Cornish pasty; ideally, a freshly made extra large one from the North Cornwall Pasty Co. in Penmayne. In fact, he had to admit to himself, he wished that he was back in North Cornwall instead of stuck in East London confined to a dingy upstairs flat, awaiting orders from people he didn't trust and who didn't trust him. At least, Alan consoled himself, there had been no mention of, nor contact from, the Russians. Didn't they know of the horrific death of their agent at Taunton station and the loss of whatever that valuable reddish-gold something had been in the agent's oblong black briefcase?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal