!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 542339 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6405 on: November 09, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
A simpler alternative for just a pair of motor vehicles is the ROCO N 2316 DB Car Transporter with 2 cars Epoche III [but with the cars replaced].

I already have, at least, one of these wagons (without cars).

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6406 on: November 09, 2019, 08:43:41 PM »
And here is that Lima Mercedes double-deck car transporter that Chris (Weave) was describing:

I wonder if changing the wheels for Graham Farish metal ones would improve it as it is, otherwise, an attractive model.

Hi Chris,

That isn't the one I was describing and isn't the one you were going to buy ages ago. It looks much better so maybe a later model (?).

I like that one so with maybe a wheel change that works it would be good.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6407 on: November 09, 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
Ah, many thanks, Chris (Weave). I agree it is a very attractive model and what I had in mind for a Continental car-carrying wagon. (I will replace the cars, of course, and I may have to replace the yellow BRITISH LEYLAND signs on the side.) So, I have put in my bid. Changing the Lima wheels for metal Graham Farish coach ones works with their BR Standard CCTs, probably with their GWR horse boxes, too, so should work with this, too. I'll buy some more metal Graham Farish coach wheels then.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:04:16 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6408 on: November 09, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »
Hi again Chris,

Just to say I have found one of those british leyland ones, although mine was from a job lot and is damaged, but to warn you that on the bottom level you will see not only are the middle wheels too high there is a raised plastic connector above them and a big gap for the car ramp. That might be able to be cut off? Also, you will see there are wheel covers above the outer bogies so basically a car couldn't get in or out. I suppose you could say they were there for holding the one car on each side in. I dunno, just a heads up.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6409 on: November 09, 2019, 09:44:28 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). I think I might be able to remedy those defects with a sharp knife, plasticard, glue and paint? I like the appearance of the model so it's worth trying. How badly damaged is yours and is it the only one you have? It might be worth me trying to repair it and make the adaptations described, as a dry run, in January before tackling mine, if my bid is successful?

Do you also have one of the N Gauge Car Transporter Wagons by Fleischman, 8285?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:12:08 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6410 on: November 09, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
Hi Chris,

It's pretty bad and not really worth trying to repair (looks like someone stamped on it) but enough there to point out the potential problems. I thought I could use the decks to make the ramps for the decent car transporters. Will keep any leftover bits in case they might come in handy for you.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6411 on: November 10, 2019, 06:33:42 AM »
Hi Chris,

It's pretty bad and not really worth trying to repair (looks like someone stamped on it) but enough there to point out the potential problems. I thought I could use the decks to make the ramps for the decent car transporters. Will keep any leftover bits in case they might come in handy for you.

Thanks, Chris (Weave). I understand. Using the parts for a ramp sounds a very good idea. I would have to make some new yellow backed signs to go over BRITISH LEYLAND!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:42:11 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6412 on: November 10, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
    Many thanks for the continuing story Chris, is Susan's time on Earth so short ?.
      The Arnold car carrier looking good to me as choice for the summer train ferry, but always open to alternative suggestions from you or Chris (Weave).
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6413 on: November 10, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »
Thanks, Derek. I think the Arnold car transporter is a good compromise. Not too long or big, not too expensive to buy on eBay, and not too rare. I hope to have the Arnold one, here, by early December ready for the Christmas specials.

If I remember correctly, at present you have for the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" train:

1 X LIMA 320333 (boxed) Blue and White CIWL Pullman 4161
1 X LIMA 320304 (boxed) Blue CIWL Dining Car 3360

Yes, Susan's stay on Earth in the 1960s is only approximately from 1963 to 1964. However, visits were made before, e.g., in 1962 when she first meets the "Chelsea Girls" and after, including in 1965.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #6414 on: November 10, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). This is what I have bought and it should arrive at Cant Cove in about 3 weeks.

Having just read up on the exciting history of car transporters ::) I can safely say that this Arnold wagon is a perfect choice. Unlike the Minitrix 2-axle and Lima wagons which were only suitable for goods trains and therefore used for transporting new cars from the factories, the Offehs-68 was rebuilt for the explicit use in passenger trains from the Offs-60 with the addition of through steam-heat piping (that’s the h in Offehs) and a higher speed of 120 km/h (up from 100 km/h).
So, this car transporter could be coupled permanently next to the Trevelvers’/Chelsea Girls’ Pullman or CIWL sleeper without the need to place it at the train end at each terminus station. And with 988 (re)built, I am sure there would be a surplus Offehs-68 available somewhere. ;)

The Fleischmann DDm 915 is also suitable for passenger trains but I guess too new, with the first 40 built in 1969.

Peter

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6415 on: November 10, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »
Many thanks, Peter, or doing all that research. That is excellent news. The CIWL coaches and Pullmans, like the BR SR last-build BR Standard BCKs (S21263-S21275 (Lot 30732) (Diagram 172) in real life built 1964 but put back to 1962 in our 'Alternative West Country'), will have to be dual-heated then. 120 km/h will be fine for the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Brittany - Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) train. (Ditto if I get the Fleischmann DDm 915 for  the BR Blue period, post 1969.)

So, I'll have the Lima car transporter for importing VW motor vehicles to a dealer in Penmayne. I'll need to stock up with Oxford Models 1960s VWs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:28:23 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6416 on: November 10, 2019, 09:18:07 PM »
“But, Sofi’s not what I need to talk to you about. It wasn’t anyone on Sonmel, was it? I mean how the Soviets first learnt about that accursed orichalcum?”

“I think not. But, neither my grandfather nor I, have been there.”

“But you don't need to … go there, do you, Susan?”

“No, Sylvi,” she smiled. “We do not.”

“So ...”

“So, Sylvi, who do we know that values orichalcum so very highly, and I don't mean the Soviets who, clearly, know very little about it … at least, from what my grandfather and I know!”

“Oh, no! Not the ...”

“Yes, I mean,” and bending her head forward, Susan whispered in Sylvia's ear who immediately went deathly pale.

“But, how?”

“They have the ability to install technology which captures the mind of sentient creatures and enables them to remotely command them to do their bidding... originally, my grandfather told me, it involved fixing a strange metal helmet on humans, turning them into something called Robomen.”

“That's horrible, Susan.”

“The use of Robomen, though, is a sign that their resources are limited in this time, Sylvi.”

“Well, that’s something positive, I suppose, Susan. And you think that ....”

“Yes, my grandfather and I think that they have such agents in place, maybe in the top levels of the Soviet Union, very probably in the KGB and, almost certainly among KGB agents here, in London. Whilst Eli, Sofi, and you are of interest simply because you've been to Sonmel and you, Sylvi, doubly so because of your relationship with Jeremy. They may well know of all of us who were involved in those events at Trevelver Castle, last year, including Enka Lou-Lou, who, I’m very pleased to say, should also be on her way here, under armed guard, organised by the Admiral, and will also be protected with us. But, in the absence of my grandfather, the person of most interest to them, regardless of exactly who they are, is ..."

“You!” breathed Sylvia. “We're all being brought here to be kept safe least we be used by whoever they are to ...”

“Get to me. Yes.”

“Oh, Susan, I am so sorry. But that explains all the security, the augmented heavily armed four-person security teams and all the Torchwood tech.”

“Yes, Sylvia. I know how very perceptive you are and that you would already have worked most of this out for yourself, even without Jeremy's help.”

“Thanks, Susan. But it gives me no pleasure at all!”

“I understand that and thank you. But, don’t worry, we Time Lords know to look after ourselves and I have … this.”

She nodded at the little bag next to her on the chair.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:42:28 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #6417 on: November 11, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
Thanks, Derek. I think the Arnold car transporter is a good compromise. Not too long or big, not too expensive to buy on eBay, and not too rare. I hope to have the Arnold one, here, by early December ready for the Christmas specials.

If I remember correctly, at present you have for the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" train:

1 X LIMA 320333 (boxed) Blue and White CIWL Pullman 4161
1 X LIMA 320304 (boxed) Blue CIWL Dining Car 3360

Yes, Susan's stay on Earth in the 1960s is only approximately from 1963 to 1964. However, visits were made before, e.g., in 1962 when she first meets the "Chelsea Girls" and after, including in 1965.
  :hellosign:
   Thanks Chris, I also have 2 of the sleepers coaches, still looking for the Salon & suitable baggage car.
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6418 on: November 11, 2019, 03:57:51 PM »
Thanks, Derek. The missing 3rd CIWL coach is on its way.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6419 on: November 11, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
Mindful of the increased number of special trains to be steam-hauled over the Christmas 1963 period, the GWS (Cornwall) has arranged for an additional ex-GWR steam locomotive to be loaned to work Truro-Wadebridge-Penmayne specials. It is a type more commonly used on the heavy Summer weekend services to and from Newquay.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here