!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 634311 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6330 on: October 12, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
Very nice shots of Fighter Command Chris.
I worry though about 73068. That front bogie seems to be in a spot of bother!

And the tender don't look too healthy!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #6331 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
Nice pic of Battle of Britain class "Fighter Command" Chris, your layout is coming on now, you have some nice lococ and coaches etc. You are better informed than me about how trains are formed, my trains are based on Rule 1.....lol
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6332 on: October 12, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
Ah, yes, unfortunately. No. 73068 became derailed on the station loop points. However, all was well. [I missed seeing that when I took the photo. back in the summer, I'm afraid, Martin.]

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6333 on: October 13, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
Actually, I think the tender and coaches behind were fine. Focussing the smartphone camera on the loco. causes distortions, sometimes.

When I have time, I'll replace the photo. of 'The Green Dragon'.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6334 on: October 13, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »
Maybe some opportunities for through running?

One of them could be the Truro bound portion of the enthusiasts' gourmet dining special formed of WR BR Standard coaches which it has worked from Exeter, detached at Wadebridge.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6335 on: October 13, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »

One of them could be the Truro bound portion of the enthusiasts' gourmet dining special formed of WR BR Standard coaches which it has worked from Exeter, detached at Wadebridge.
I’ll see what I can do.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6336 on: October 13, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »

I’ll see what I can do.

Thanks, Martin. I hope to take some more photos., next week in mid-semester break.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6337 on: October 13, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
The Enthusiasts Gourmet Special (mentioned earlier) which had been worked to Cant Cove from Exeter by 34064 included an optional portion for Truro which was worked forward by 73068.
The buffet car was included in the shortened formation serving drinks, the main meal having been served between Exeter and Wadebridge.
Here is 73068 approaching Trepol Bay on her way to Truro.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6338 on: October 13, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »
Many thanks, Martin, for an excellent photo. No. 73068 of 85C Gloucester Barnwood (the ex-LMS steam shed) suffered no lasting damage from its earlier derailment at Cant Cove and always makes a most attractive sight in the Cornish sunshine.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #6339 on: October 13, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
Lovely photo's Chris, good to see the trains on Cant Cove again

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6340 on: October 14, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »
One of the most eagerly awaited special trains, this summer, at Cant Cove, was an enthusiasts' special formed of BR Lined Maroon coaches from London Paddington with a front portion fpr Penmayne and a second, detached at Bodmin Road, going forward to Truro then up to Wadebridge and back with a very unusual steam loco. at its head, the two trains recombining at Bodmin Road for the return journey. Thanks to Lord Trevelver's many contacts in BR WR, strings were pulled to borrow 'Britannia' No. 70021 "Morning Star" late of 83D Plymouth Laira (1952-57) from 1A Willesden and an LMR crew with a BR WR pilotman and Loco. Inspector working to Bristol Temple Meads from where a Plymouth Laira Top Link crew used to the Britannias relieved their LMR colleagues who would take her back.

Due to the weak bridge spanning Cant Cove, No. 70021 "Morning Star" had to be replaced in the station by a much lighter loco. for the journey to and from Penmayne. Again, a very special loco. which had brought in another passenger special from North Wales, was made available, Swindon-built Ivatt 2-6-0 No. 46526 (of 89D Oswestry). Cant Cove's John Prynne, Chief Accountant of the "Castle Estates", was there on a day blessed with bright sunshine.

No. 70021 "Morning Star" on Cant Cove loco. shed.

Going on shed.

Passing its waiting replacement.

No. 46526 ready to depart for Penmayne.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:28:25 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6341 on: October 14, 2019, 11:55:25 AM »
Thank you for those photographs Chris.
Those Ivatt light moguls are certainly handsome engines. I also like the Britannias but always thought the high running plate left them a little out of proportion. No doubt the crews thought it most helpful when oiling round or inspecting their steeds however.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6342 on: October 14, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »
Thank you, Martin. I don't mind the high running plate on the BR Standards. It certainly made running maintenance easier. I've always liked the Swindon-built Ivatts in their BR Lined Green livery.

The combination of locos. proved to be so popular that a repeat run was organised the next month, but from Euston and included two BR Standard Sleeping Cars (one 1st class, one 2nd class) booked by a large party from Perthshire with a Gresley Buffet Car included in the portion worked down to Euston. Again, a 'mystery' loco. was booked for the Bodmin Road-Truro-Wadebridge and return leg for the second portion.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6343 on: October 14, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
Here are the photos. of the second special, the Penmayne portion being formed of mainly 1st Clas coaches.

The BCK

The 2nd Class Sleeping Car

The 1st Class Sleeping Cars

The Gresley Buffet Car (borrowed by the LMR)

The Restaurant First Open (RFO)

No. 70021 "Morning Star" on arrival

Its replacement, Swindon-built Ivatt 2-6-0 No. 46526

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6344 on: October 15, 2019, 06:28:40 AM »
At Basingstoke, as promised, a courier had boarded the Waterloo-bound train and carefully approached their 1st Class compartment. After being expertly frisked by Sophie, whilst the Captain pointed a gun with a silencer at him, the courier had been allowed in to present a sealed cardboard folder to Sophie, who had carefully examined it before passing it over to Sylvia. The Captain had then thanked the anonymous courier, after apologising for the extreme security, to which the man had replied that it was quite understandable and absolutely no problem, before leaving, quietly closing the compartment door behind him.

Hurriedly, Sylvia had opened the folder and taken out the thin paper typewritten sheets and, first, swiftly, then more carefully, read them to herself.

“Well?” asked her best friend.

“Oh, Eli!” Tears were coursing down Sylvia’s pale cheeks.

“What, what!” cried Eli in great alarm, clutching Sylvia to her shoulder.

“No, no,” sniffed Sylvia in between sobs.

“No, no, what?” cried Eli.

“Tell us,” cried Sofi. Only Susan was silent.

Taking a deep breath and wiping the tears away with her handkerchief, Sylvia replied, “No, no, he’s fine. Jeremy, I mean.”

“We know WHO you mean, silly!” exclaimed her friend, hugging her so tightly that Sylvia had to warn Eli that she could not breath. “What do those papers SAY, Sylvi?”

“Well, they go into lots and lots of scientific details which I am sure Susan will understand.” The Doctor's granddaughter smiled modestly and nodded.

“Yes, yes,” cried Eli, now holding Sylvia at arm's length so she could study her best friend’s face. “What DO they SAY!”

“Well, that Jeremy's finally woken up, with a splitting headache, very thirsty and hungry and all the tests show that, after another twenty-four hours observation, he will ... be free to JOIN us, in Chelsea! I am SO, SO HAPPY! Here, Susan, you read them, please,” Sylvia replied in between sobs.

The young time-traveller took the file and carefully read each sheet before announcing:

“Yes, yes, Sylvie, Jeremy's been lucky, very lucky. Many other men could have been killed by such a strong dosage, but the experts' prognosis is that there seem to be no lasting ill effects; although he should still be under medical supervision for some time.”

“Sophie, here, is a fully trained nurse and would ...”

“Thank you, Captain, but Susan and I are more than capable of looking after MY Jeremy!” stated Sylvia, most firmly. “I have passed all my St John Ambulance exams. and Susan here either knows, or his access to, more medical knowledge than the whole of Harley Street, for many centuries to come!”

“Yes, yes, of course,” replied Captain Grenville. “Miss Foreman IS the Doctor's granddaughter and then there is, of course, the TARDIS ...”

“Which is on Rockall,” interrupted Susan,firmly, “and out of contact, as is my grandfather ...”

As the Waterloo express passed Surbiton, Captain Grenville got up from his corridor-side seat and announced, “Time to gather your belongings ladies. We will be disembarking soon.”

“But we still have plenty of time before we arrive at Waterloo,” pointed out Sylvia checking her small Omega white gold watch, a twenty-first birthday present from her parents.

“But, we're not getting out there, are we,” stated Susan, matter-of-factly.

“Quite correct, Miss Foreman,” replied the Captain.

“There are too many opportunities in such a crowded place,” explained Sophie.

“For just the two of us to be sure of keeping you four ladies safe,” added Captain Grenville.

“So, we will be disembarking at Clapham Junction,” stated his companion.

“But this train does not stop at Clapham Junction!” exclaimed Eli.

“It does, if the Admiral wants it too!” stated the Captain.

“Of course,” sighed Sylvia. “Of course, it does.”

“There will be help waiting for us, on the platform,” stated Captain Grenville.“More armed strangers imposing themselves, I suppose,” remarked Sofi with a frown.

“Strangers perhaps to you Miss de La Vega, but not Miss Trevelver or Miss Guillou!” beamed the Captain.“Who?” asked Sylvia.

“You'll see shortly. They will be waiting on the platform and we have two secure taxis outside, driven by trusted ex-servicemen,” the Captain replied. “There may well be enemy agents on the train, so we have British Transport Police on the platform with strict orders to prevent anyone else disembarking. Our train’s guard has orders to give the right-away to our loco.’s driver immediately after we have all got out and Sophia has closed our carriage door. The Clapham Junction signalbox has been instructed to give the train a clear path so that it can get under way, again, immediately,” smiled Captain Grenville.

“You seem to have thought of everything,” stated Eli with a harrumph.

“We like to think so,” smiled Sophie. “Richard and I have wargamed this often and long enough, with the Admiral and others.”

“Once we are all safely indoors, in Chelsea, with all the additional security in place, we can rest easier.”

“Yes, indeed, Richard,” sighed Sophie, who never stopped glancing through the glass of their compartment's closed corridor door.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:32:25 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal