!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 616188 times)

Chris in Prague and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6255 on: September 06, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »
As the “Atlantic Coast Express" from Penmayne pulled into Exeter Central, exactly at 2 pm, the four female friends were relaxing after having enjoyed an excellent luncheon in the Restaurant car of the pair of Bulleid designed, but rebuilt by BR, catering vehicles which, on Summer Saturdays, worked through to and from Penmayne.

“Now, we have about 15 minutes waiting here so, let’s get out and stretch our legs. After we leave Exeter behind, the train should speed up,” explained Sylvia.

“Good,” replied Sofi. “The sooner we can get to Chelsea and we can have a bath and put on our best for the restaurant, the better. I hope that at least one of Jeremy's friends will be interesting!”

“Don't you mean interested, Sofi? Interested in you!” smiled Eli, as they got out onto the busy platform.

They all laughed.

“Well, perhaps,” admitted Sofi with a grin. “It's not as if Christian is the only handsome man in Europe!”

“Indeed not," responded Sylvia. “Oh, I do hope that Jeremy is okay!”
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:22:15 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6256 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
After an excellent breakfast at “The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, DCI Snapper decided that what he needed was a good walk to clear his head, not only from the lingering after-effects of the excellent celebratory dinner held in Trevelver Castle for all those involved in the successful decoy racehorse operation at the castle but his conflicted emotions about the Sonmel operation. The attractive young woman at reception had recommended the walk to St. Brigid's Holy Well, high above Cant Cove. He still had his walking boots taken with him to Sonmel in case he had needed to explore the island in pursuit of the horse dopers and even to visit the orichalcum mine but neither had proved necessary. Turning left outside the hotel, the detective made his way along the Penmayne Road past the hotel beer garden and the “Tramway Inn" opposite, past the station goods yard, over the ungated level crossing of the Castle branch, then past the ancient Celtic Cross that stood at the entrance to the sandy lane which led to the beach at Cant Cove after passing the small loco. shed where a large, squat tank engine stood, a thin line of smoke lazily drifting from its chimney. It was now time to, briefly, slacken his pace to walk up the steep slope until, shortly, he came to the sandy track on the left that led to the Holy Well. It was already proving to be a warm, sunny day and, turning onto the path, after passing through the narrow, almost hidden entrance between two overgrown rocks, Snapper was grateful for the shade provided by the trees that someone, long ago, had thoughtfully planted along the path’s left-hand side.

As the detective walked along the narrow sandy path, he recalled his reaction, onboard the newspaper train, when, after departing from Tower Hill, the guard had delivered the two sealed internal railway mail envelopes to him and Susan. ‘Most irregular’, he had thought after reading the brief note from the Admiral instructing him to co-operate with Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart, on arrival on Sonmel. Snapper prided himself on his abilities as a detective: to investigate, analyse, and come to conclusions which were correct. He had never, he prided himself, resorted to violence or, even worse, planted evidence to help convict a suspect and neither, he knew, had or would, DI Rule. Like him, Rule was an honest copper intent on putting proven criminals behind bars. Rule had done just that; he and his Cornish colleagues had arrested and assembled all the evidence necessary to convict the lot of them, except the elder Poldory who had somehow escaped and was, it was thought, back in London and would not evade capture for much longer. Rule could enjoy a job well done. But, for himself, the whole business on Sonmel was far from conventional policing. True, they had bagged two villains but the way that they had obtained those convictions with the involvement of the Colonel’s soldiers ... and the involvement of the mysterious Admiral. Surely, this had been a task for Special Branch? He sighed. His boss, though, had pronounced Scotland Yard more than happy and that, he supposed, ultimately, was all that mattered.

Then, smiling to himself, he recalled how happy everyone connected with the elaborate operation to protect the Moor’s double from the malign attentions of those hired by the betting syndicate had been the previous evening! Tomorrow morning, we'll be off to London and the kind of work which is meat and drink to me, he consoled himself, pursuing the existing leads to convict the members of the betting syndicate and those behind them, the notorious twins. Convictions for all of them would be a very satisfactory conclusion to this most tangled of cases. He had already done what the Admiral had instructed him to do. The memory of that meeting still rankled. The Admiral should be working with Special Branch and the members of whichever secret service he represented, not him. His boss, though, had instructed him to follow the Admiral’s instructions as if they had come from him! So, even his boss had to do what the Admiral required! Then there was that orichalcum ... who knew about that, but should not, and how they knew about it ... that was an area that still needed to be investigated and answers found but, surely, that was not a normal criminal matter but one for the security services. Snapper made up his mind that, at the first opportunity, he would ask his boss to clarify all of that! Having sorted out all his thoughts and analysed his emotional reactions, he felt much better. Turning right, he passed through the narrow gap between the two tall stones that stood like sentinels at the end of the path and across a small rock-edged sandy area shaded by overhanging trees and bushes, with ferns along the stream’s edge, to approach the low grey stone chapel housing the holy well. A metal notice, standing outside, stated that the chapel had been reliably dated to the 14th century but that it was likely that, before that, a wooden structure had stood on the site since at least the 3rd Century AD. The building was only 20 x 12 feet and it was not known if the current granite walls stood at their original height as, at a later date, a tiled roof had been added on new wooden beams. The original roof was probably of wood and thatch. Almost bending double to open the wooden door in the tiny chapel’s low arched entrance, Snapper waited for his eyes to adjust to the half-light. To his right, he saw that spring water, from the Holy Well, was fed along a stone channel into a stone font in the south-western corner before passing along a narrow channel cut in the stone floor to pass outside and join the stream flowing just beyond the chapel’s opposite wall. A low altar stone engraved with the outline of a Celtic Cross, a simple glass vase of fresh flowers standing upon it, stood at the far end lit by a small arched window above, whilst stone benches lined both of the sturdy sidewalls under three narrow arched windows. The site was, as the receptionist had promised him, a beautiful and serene one, off the beaten track and very calming. His mind now clear, the detective sat on the sun-warmed bench absorbing the peace and tranquillity of St. Brigid's Holy Well.

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6257 on: September 06, 2019, 11:08:18 PM »
 :hellosign:
   Many thanks Chris, aaaah what a wonderful part of the world.   :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6258 on: September 07, 2019, 09:58:31 AM »
   Many thanks Chris, aaaah what a wonderful part of the world.   :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.

Many thanks, Derek. I really need to make a cardboard model of the little chapel to finalise the dimensions before constructing one from moulded plastic parts.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #6259 on: September 07, 2019, 05:11:57 PM »
Had a few pages to catch up, but quite a read it was!  Elaborate plots & rich writing, what's not to love :)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6260 on: September 08, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
Had a few pages to catch up, but quite a read it was!  Elaborate plots & rich writing, what's not to love :)

Many thanks, Andrew. The story continues. 8-)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6261 on: September 08, 2019, 08:36:59 PM »
“Well, Mr. Poldory,” said the man who he only knew as Mr. Smith, “you were recommended to us as a man with, how do you English say, your ear to the ground. A man with a network of reliable informants across Devon and Cornwall, we were assured by your London employers. A man who we can do ‘business’ with. I tell you, frankly, my bosses are very disappointed with the small scraps you have provided, so far. Very disappointed indeed and when my bosses are very disappointed, then for my own continued good health and peace of mind, I have to be very disappointed in the provider of those scraps. So, Mr. Poldory, if you care about your own continued good health, you should be VERY concerned!”

Alan thought frantically. Truly, what had looked a great opportunity to earn easy money and make a new secure life for himself, in London, was fast unravelling. Out of the frying pan, his narrow escape from arrest in Tregonning, thanks to his habit of always knowing where all the exits are, and into the fire. He had had to inflate the drunken ramblings of a Sonmel ferry deck hand and the claimed overheard outlandish conversations of the ferry's crew reported by the aged and ‘not alright in the head' ‘pot boy' of the “Sailors Return", West Porthsea Quay, for the price of a couple of pints of mild beer, into an authoritative report on strange happenings on that very mysterious isle where two fellow criminals working for the same London bosses had, seemingly, disappeared, whilst working on two important missions, both of which he had been closely involved in, but without, so far, any significant success. All he had was wild rumours and hearsay; his very dangerous companion was not at all satisfied and neither would be Alan’s new employers, in London, who had hired him out on the basis of his somewhat exaggerated stories to an even more dangerous organisation!

Alan was also out of pocket, having had to bribe a West Porthsea Quay railwayman to lock and then unlock a 1st-class compartment on a London-bound boat train when he had signalled that a certain individual had boarded. His intimidating and well-armed companion had proved very unenthusiastic about paying expenses refunds claiming that he should work for free to further his employers’ political aims. Alan’s companion had not been pleased when he had ridiculed this highly impractical suggestion! Unlike his younger brother, who had made it abundantly clear that he wanted nothing at all to do with him or any knowledge of his older brother’s whereabouts, his new partner was not a man who could be persuaded to do what he wanted. That much was crystal clear.

“Now, now, Mr. Smith, there's no need for doin’ nothing hasty, like. Right ‘fore you arrived, my informant called me about a special train departing from West Porthsea Quay, after the arrival of the train ferry from, my man told me, Sonmel. It’s the train which you just missed and a certain well-informed naval captain who arrived on that very same ferry is on board the following boat train to Paddington which is due in very shortly. Find him an’ question him an’ I'm sure that he'll fill in the last few missing pieces! I arranged at very considerable personal expense for ‘im to be in a 1st-class compartment all by himself like.”

“For your sake, he had better be! Is that the train now approaching?”

“Yes, yes. It's being announced.”

“What are you waiting for, Poldory, let's get on board, find him and get him talking! Then I might consider paying you your, no doubt highly inflated, expenses, even without receipts!”
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:43:03 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6262 on: September 09, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
At Exeter Central, the four friends were stretching their legs in the quarter-of-an-hour interval between the arrival and departure of the “Atlantic Coast Express, required to change locos. and crew, when a very smartly uniformed handsome naval captain accompanied by a very striking tall, slim dark-haired woman, approached them.

“Wait here, a minute Sophie, would you", he instructed the woman who gave a slight wry smile. "Do I have the pleasure of addressing Miss Sylvia Treveller?”

“Yes,” replied Sylvia, “And you are?”

“Richard Grenville, Captain Grenville. I am a good friend of a good friend of yours, Jeremy Cador, Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador.”

“That’s nice, Captain Grenville, but we have never met, and he’s never mentioned you, has he Eli?”

“No, he has not.”

Unconcerned, the naval captain gave them a dazzling smile, “Jeremy told me that you’re a very sensible young woman as well as,” he beamed again, “if I may say so, beautiful one, so, he told me something to tell you that would prove that we know each other.”

“Hmm. Did he indeed.”

“So, if I may?” then, without waiting for a reply, he whispered something in Sylvia’s right ear that made her blush.

Meanwhile, Sofi was automatically appraising the similarly very attractive young woman in a modestly cut white and black spotted medium length sleeveless sundress, who was carefully, but unobtrusively, studying her surroundings. She was well above average height, slim body, arms and legs but not thin, an oval face, with glossy black straight hair caught up in a ponytail, high cheekbones and dark brown eyes above a perfectly shaped thin nose and full lips. She was wearing the absolute minimum of makeup, if any, Sofi could not tell from the distance and was lightly tanned. Her slender feet wore simple red leather sandals without any high heels, and she carried a simple, large sand-coloured woven bag on her shoulder. A pair of fashionable sunglasses rested upon the front of her head. There was a watchful feline quality about her that Sofi found both impressive and a little unsettling.

“Well, in that case, Captain Grenville …”

“So, Sylvi, what did he say?” asked her best friend. Bending down very slightly, it was now Sylvia’s turn to whisper in her friend’s right ear.

“Oh, I see. Only Jeremy and your closest … would know about THAT!”

“Indeed, Eli.”

Glancing at the platform clock then the train where the larger Bulleid “Merchant Navy” had replaced its smaller cousin, Captain Grenville, waved the young woman over. She seemed to glide rather than stride across the platform. “Soon, it will be time to board our train so may I introduce you to my … companion, Miss Sophie Andres.”

“Delighted to meet you, ladies,” Sophie positively purred as she lightly but confidently shook each of the four young women’s right hand whilst briefly but steadily gazing into their eyes. Her slender hand was cool, her fingers long and devoid of any rings, just the lightest of nail varnish, Sofi noted.

“Sophie and I will be travelling with you, ladies, in your compartment. We have tickets and reservations.”

“Do you indeed,” almost spluttered Sofi. “We have only just met and …”

The Captain’s smile had gone. “The Admiral sent us; you are all in grave danger! Now, let’s board and I’ll tell you what I can when we are settled. Nothing to report, Sophie?”

“Nothing, Richard” replied Sophie still systematically scanning the now almost empty platform as the last passengers boarded the “Atlantic Coast Express”.

“I’ll go, first, ladies,” stated Captain Grenville and Sophie will bring up the,” he smiled briefly, “rear.”
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:02:14 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6263 on: September 10, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
    Thanks Chris, very very intriguing indeed, looking forward to more
          regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #6264 on: September 10, 2019, 11:51:08 PM »
Apologies for the delay in reporting events in South Devon............just not enough hours in the day at the moment!

Lord and Lady Churston also hosted a decoy horse during the recent successful deception operation to protect The Moor.  The horse was often seen grazing with Lady Cherie's other horses alongside the branch to Brixham.  Just as at Treveler Castle in Cornwall, the rationale in South Devon was to show the bait, then watch and wait.
With the successful completion of the operation it was time for all the horses to return to Yorkshire and D6313 was dispatched with the short horse box formation to collect the horse.
Easing under Churston road bridge on route to the siding:

The decoy horse enjoying a final graze with his temporary stable mate

Meanwhile, back at Churston, the empty Terry's van (that brought Sir George's chocolate gifts) had been pushed back into the cattle dock and coupled up to a Red Spinnaker van containing a reciprocal gift for Sir George from Lord Churston.

With the horse loaded, the box was propelled back into the up platform, 6313 then uncoupled, recovered the 2 vans from the cattle dock and pushed them back on to the horse box and feed van.
6313 then departed for Exeter Riverside on the first stage of the overnight journey to York.

And about to enter Parsons Tunnel.................

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6265 on: September 11, 2019, 07:29:32 AM »
Many thanks, Pete, for this excellent set of photos. The sight of another decoy horse and horsebox, in Devon, certainly confused the gang.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:27:24 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #6266 on: September 11, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »
The right hand horse is black with a white tip on his tail. He just has a beige coat and hoof boots on.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:58:50 AM by Dizz »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6267 on: September 11, 2019, 11:27:59 AM »
The right hand horse is black with a white tip on his tail. He just has a beige coat and hoof boors on.

Ah, yes. I had to look more closely. My apologies.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #6268 on: September 11, 2019, 03:16:40 PM »
Is that hole where the key goes?
A wind up mechanical N Scale horse. Now there’s a thing  :D
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #6269 on: September 11, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
Is that hole where the key goes?
A wind up mechanical N Scale horse. Now there’s a thing  :D
Hadn't noticed it before Martin, will take a look when I get home.  Tbh, at 1:148 in reality I probably wont even see it.
Maybe they stabbed him with a pin when painting on his coat and boots................painful :'(

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal