!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 511740 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #6210 on: August 19, 2019, 01:59:32 PM »
Thanking the enthusiast for his informative commentary, the lone passenger retraces his steps off the concrete footbridge and onto the main station platform. Their loading long since completed, all the motor vans have also left and the double gates in the freshly cream painted iron platform fence are closed and locked. As he walks towards the station building he sees a small timber-built refreshment kiosk open. He notices an enamel sign with a smiling well-dressed man holding a bottle and proclaiming “Best Cornish bottled beers. Buy one to enjoy on your journey!” After studying the pricelist next to the counter, thinking of the long return journey back to Waterloo, he orders two pint bottles: “Castle Best Ale” and “Headland Best Ale”, plus a bottle opener, as he had not found one in his shoulder bag and two packs of twenty of his preferred cigarette brand. The friendly young woman apologises that they only have the more expensive souvenir bottle openers, with the Penmayne coat of arms, as she passes one over with the cigarettes, followed by two cool, sturdy brown glass bottles, then thanks him warmly, with a twinkle in her dark brown eyes, after he tells her to keep the generous amount of change.

As excellent as the bacon bap, sausage bap, Cornish pasty and fresh coffee at Wadebridge had been, the last remaining passenger of the 1:25 decides that he, too, will follow the other travellers out of the station and up Station Road to find a light late breakfast and fresh coffee. After having his return ticket punched and being wished a hearty good morning by the railwayman at the exit, the passenger turns right and strides out of the station and along the pavement. The shoulder bag comfortably hangs from his Irish Tweed jacketed shoulder. No-one else is about. The sun is shining brightly, there is an invigorating salt-laden breeze from the harbour and seagulls are wheeling and screeching in the bright blue sky. It feels very good to be alive.

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, the passenger from Waterloo catches a glimpse of a black cat. Before he can react, the cat brushes against his trouser legs, as it does, he notices it has a strange red-gold shimmer around it. Instantly, there is a moment of total darkness before he finds himself back at home in his familiar armchair. Has it all just been a wonderful dream? Looking down, he notices a quickly fading red-gold glow on the end of his trouser legs and, looking up, a familiar heavy canvas bag on his left shoulder. A strange tingling lingers for a moment in his legs, then is gone.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:52:00 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6211 on: August 19, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »
There will, now, be a pause for 5 days as I have my youngest brother staying, before the description of the various friends' travels to London to meet up at Chelsea then go to "Esmeralda's" nightclub and the events that take place, there. This will relate to the story of the racehorses which Martin is taking forward so well, but will develop it further.

If there is time before the weekend (which I doubt) I will continue Jeremy's story, too. Otherwise, that will also be paused. However, it's much shorter.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6212 on: August 19, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
Brilliant story telling.  :thumbsup:. Would the "quickly fading red-gold glow" give me a strange tingling in my legs - or is that 'pins and needles'? ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6213 on: August 19, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »
Brilliant story telling.  :thumbsup:. Would the "quickly fading red-gold glow" give me a strange tingling in my legs - or is that 'pins and needles'? ???

Many thanks, David. I'm glad that you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed researching and writing it. As far as possible, it is based on factual information but some details have been amended. There are more decriptive details which I will add, especially about Halwill, but not now. Thanks for the suggestion which I have incorporated.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6214 on: August 21, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
 :hellosign:
  Thanks Chris, I agree with David,  excellent storytelling with a superb twist at the end.
  Enjoy your family time, that's precious too.
        regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6215 on: August 25, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »
  Thanks Chris, I agree with David,  excellent storytelling with a superb twist at the end.
  Enjoy your family time, that's precious too.
        regards Derek.

Thank you, Derek. I will be updating, soon. In the meantime, there is an episode on Sonmel.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6216 on: August 25, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
After an excellent meal, followed by after-dinner drinks in the snug of “The Station Hotel”, Cant Cove, Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador RN had slept very well indeed. His only regret was that, still being on official duty, he could not justify going up to Trevelver Castle to spend time with Sylvia Trevelver and her family and friends. Still, during their weekly telephone call, Sylvia had assured him that, along with Eli, Sofia, and Susan who should arrive that Saturday morning on the 1:25 am from Waterloo, later that same morning, the four female friends would be boarding their reserved 1st-class compartment on the 11:00 am from Penmayne to Waterloo, the “Atlantic Coast Express”, calling at Cant Cove 11:04-11:06, then Wadebridge 11:13-11:16 and due in London at 5:24 pm, more than plenty of time, he considered, to take a taxi to the Chelsea townhouse, unpack, bathe and dress for dinner at 8 pm at whichever intimate restaurant Angela had discovered and booked, including Sylvia had assured him, his seat facing her across the table.

After rising early for a hearty breakfast, as was his custom, Jeremy lingered over coffee whilst he awaited the Wadebridge Yardmaster’s promised telegram with the vehicles’ ETA at West Porthsea Quay. At last, the bright yellow telegram envelope was handed to him by the elderly waiter. Eagerly, Jeremy opened it:

“10HRS QUICKEST POSS. ARRIVED WPQ BEFORE 9AM TDY. SMSTER WPQ AWAITS. WYM.”

My goodness, that was quick, thought Jeremy. The Wadebridge Yardmaster must have really pulled out all the stops for this one! Around 400 miles in ten hours at the very least. They must have been passed from train to train with the utmost despatch. British Railways at its finest. Quickly finishing his coffee and asking for the bill, he hurries to reception to settle his full bill and order a taxi to Bodmin Road. Normally, Jeremy would have taken a connecting train, at least from Wadebridge, to the mainline station, but the sooner he arrived at West Porthsea, just a couple of miles northeast of Penzance on the WR mainline and takes a taxi to the Quay and speaks with the stationmaster and the ferry captain, the sooner he can be at Penzance and on an express for Paddington, at least seven hours away! If he remembered correctly, there was a train leaving Bodmin Road for Penzance at about Quarter to Ten on Summer Saturday mornings. That would mean arriving in Penzance about Quarter to Twelve then a taxi to the Quay if the train did not stop at West Porthsea, shortly before Penzance, and not all expresses did. With great luck, he would still make the London restaurant even if only for coffee and liqueurs! No matter, he could eat in the restaurant car, going Up, if need be.

The taxi arrives very promptly, and the middle-aged driver promises to get Jeremy to Bodmin Road in plenty of time to board the next Down express, especially after Jeremy has confirmed that he does not need to buy a ticket. As he boards the Newton Abbot to Penzance express, the first train of the day to leave Plymouth at a reasonable hour, and settles in one of the very few empty 1st-class seats, the 2nd-class accommodation being full and standing, he realises that he has no idea when the Sonmel ferry arrives or, even more importantly, departs! He will get to the Quay and then worry, he decides, settling back in his seat. It is a beautiful sunny day.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:48:26 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6217 on: August 25, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
Being the beginning of the Summer timetable, the District Controller had considered it a good idea to ring the Penmayne foreman to remind him of what should be done with the four coaches (BSK, CK, BSK, plus SK) of the 00:15 am from Waterloo when they arrived at the terminus at 7.26 am. The Second Corridor (SK) must have the record for continuous movement since within an hour (and four minutes) of arriving it is worked back to London on the 8.30 am Penmayne to Waterloo (due in at 3.23 pm), formed of a 3L Bulleid set: BSK (Semi)+CK+BSK (Semi) plus the SK. This was far from being the end of the coach’s day’s work for the SK works out of London on the 7 pm Waterloo to Plymouth (arriving at 12:20 am), completing thus a daily diagram that exceeds twenty-four hours and covers almost seven hundred and fifty miles. The Bulleid ‘Light Pacific’ and the remaining three coaches (the 3L Bulleid set) have a rather longer stay until they leave as the 11:00 am “Atlantic Coast Express”, on which Susan and her friends would be travelling, scheduled arrival at Waterloo, 5:24 pm.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6218 on: August 25, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
The deep maroon 1963–65 model Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur Saloon, bodywork by Mulliner Park Ward, sped along Wadebridge’s Fernleigh Road before slowing to turn right into the station yard, past the two bufferstops, to draw up at the stone-built single-storey station building. One of the waiting porters was about to wheel a luggage trolley over to the car when Huw shook his head and informed them:

“There’s no more lads, sorry. It was all put on the train at Cant Cove.”

“Thank you, Huw. Just in time, as you promised.”

“Yes, indeed, Miss Sylvia. I wish you two young ladies a pleasant journey. Please, remember me to Miss Susan who should be waitin’ for you in your 1st-class reserved compartment. It should be in the third carriage behind the loco., after the Restaurant Buffet cars.”

“Thank you, again, Huw.” Their driver returned to the Daimler and sped off.

“Some ride, eh, Sofi?” grinned Sylvia. Her friend gulped then nodded.

“Oh,” she exclaimed as they entered the station where the stationmaster greeted them and presented their travel and reservation tickets, “I thought our three old leather suitcases were in the boot?”

“No, Sofi, Huw took them on ahead when he delivered Susan’s breakfast,” explained Sylvia as they walked along the platform, under the canopy, then onto the concrete footbridge and onto, then turning right and right again, past the little refreshment room, then down the middle of the island platform to avoid the line of returning holidaymakers and their luggage, towards the nearest of the pair of WR cream and chocolate painted water cranes at its end with the impressive lattice-work starter signal with its four arms standing beyond.

“Ah, I see, Sylvi. Which side will our train come in on?”

“This one, 2. The opposite one, 3, is for local trains to the Bodmins,” replied Sylvia as they walked along then stopped on the open platform close to its right-hand side. “You can see that the second signal arm from the right is down, Sofi, so it’s due. This should be about right.” They stopped.

“Good. She arrives at 11:09, yes?”

“That’s right, Sofi, but our train does not leave until 11:13. Here’s about where the third coach should stop. The loco’s tender, usually, stops by the water crane and I work back from there! Not that they should need to take on any more water so soon after leaving Penmayne.”

Already they could hear in the distance the distinctive sound of a Bulleid ‘Light Pacific’ approaching from Cant Cove and Penmayne. “It’s No. 34033 ‘Chard’,” announced Sylvia as the loco. swung around the bend and, still slowing, came into full view. “We often see her; the loco., I mean.” She laughs at Sofi’s puzzlement. “The ‘Atlantic Coast Express’ is still a Southern Region service, thank goodness, my mother would declare, but never say that in front of my father,” she laughed. “He was quite happy when, in September last year, it was announced that, once again all the Southern lines in the Southwest would be transferred to the Western, but this time for all purposes, with effect from 1st January, this year. My mother was fuming and only calmed down when he reassured her that the Waterloo trains would still be run by the Southern!”

“You know a lot about trains don’t you,” stated Sofi as “Chard” slowly drew the front of its train of shiny dark green coaches past them, first the one marked “RESTAURANT” followed by that marked “BUFFET” before the front section of the third coach with the yellow cantrail stripe denoting the 1st-class seating section stopped with a door in front of them. Susan was standing waving in the window of the nearest compartment with a “RESERVED” notice stuck near the top.

“With my parents, that’s something you learn from your earliest days of sitting at table!” laughed Sylvia.

“Hi, Susan!” The two friends called as Sylvia opened the end carriage door marked with a large yellow ‘1’ for them to board and, turning left, go to their compartment.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:36:38 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #6219 on: August 26, 2019, 08:45:56 PM »
  Many thanks Chris, the girls are looking forward to a pleasent journey.
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6220 on: August 28, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
  Many thanks Chris, the girls are looking forward to a pleasent journey.
     regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. No lengthy descriptions, this time.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6221 on: August 28, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
The combination of the ontime express train from Bodmin Road to Penzance and a taxi from Penzance station had brought Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador RN to West Porthsea Quay in the fastest possible time. After being paid off with a generous tip, the taxi driver then quickly found some recently arrived ferry passengers to take.

How am I going to find the Sonmel Train Ferry, Jeremy wondered. Looking around the platform next to the ferry berth he could not see a single mention of Sonmel. Asking a railway porter proved fruitless, too, as did questioning a ticket collector who studied him suspiciously before denying all knowledge. In vain he looked for a Harbourmaster’s office. Sighing at the waste of time, he trudged off from the Quay station and entered the first inn he saw, “The Sailor’s Return” and headed for the bar where a large well-curved middle-aged woman, polishing glasses, eyed him curiously.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6222 on: August 28, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »
As soon as the four female friends were comfortably settled in their reserved 1st-class compartment of the Bulleid designed composite coach, its corridor door firmly closed, there was a whistle from Bulleid ‘Light’ Pacific No. 34033 ‘Chard’ and the “Atlantic Coast Express” pulled out of Wadebridge station at 11:16 am on its way to Waterloo.

Greetings, smiles, hugs, and kisses on cheeks from Eli and Sofi, over, the questions immediately began.

“Well, Susan, it’s very good to see you but what have you been up to since we last met?” asked Sylvia.

“Well, Sylvia,” smiled the Doctor’s granddaughter, “as we all had to sign the Official Secrets Act after last autumn’s events at Trevelver Castle, I can tell you. But, in any case, after we went through, together, I know that, after my grandfather, there is no-one I can trust more.”

Her three friends nodded their heartfelt agreement. “Well, girls, I had a very interesting fellow passenger, from Waterloo.”

“What!” exclaimed Eli, “but you 'ad the whole compartment reserved for yourself, as we advised, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I did but he was a very important person and I could not refuse him a seat.”

“Who on earth?” asked Sylvia.

“You’ll never guess.” (They did not and had to be told.)

“So, you had DCI Snapper with you, in disguise as Mr. Audubon, an American naturalist! At least it was not that dreadful ‘Naughty Morty’!” exclaimed Eli recalling the eminent archaeologist’s wandering hands with great disgust.

“Yes, indeed, Sylvi. I recognised Snapper from last autumn’s events without any problems and to his annoyance.”

“What on earth was he doing on the newspaper train, Susan?”

“He told me that he was on a very important mission about some valuable racehorse belonging to a Sir George Widgeon III, Eli.”

“Oh, my parents know Sir George. We have just had a racehorse of his in the Castle stables, you know. No-one would tell me much about him, a magnificent looking animal. I saw him when taking my hunter, "Overdressed", “Over”, for a morning gallop, out the first morning he arrived. It always makes me smile when I call ‘Come on over, Over’!” Sylvia laughed.

“Oh, you mean that beautiful copper chestnut with high white stockings who stands out among the plain old bays and greys?” laughed Sofi in turn.

“Yes, indeed. Mind you that jet-black racehorse certainly stood out, too, Sofi. My mother asked one of the stable lads to very carefully paint a few hairs at the tip of animal’s tail white but wouldn’t explain why,” replied Sylvia, clearly annoyed. “But the groundsmen and gamekeepers were all on alert as some strangers were reported as being out to ‘nobble’ that racehorse on behalf of some London betting syndicate. Our local PC, Tim Parr, a very capable, as my mother would say, young man, was in the Castle grounds with his radio-telephone equipped Velocette LE motor bike. It might be nicknamed a Noddy Bike but he’s very proud of it.

“Did Tim catch anyone, Sylvi?”

“No, Susan, but my father had been forewarned by a telephone call from Bodmin police station and Huw and he made sure that the racehorse was safely in a motor horsebox accompanied by the head groom and three of our best gamekeepers, all ex-Army, armed with shotguns, one in the cab and two in the back. A police radio was already installed in the lorry’s cab and the driver was a plainclothes policeman from Exeter to make sure no-one recognised him. Daddy was not taking any chances! Huw said he was sure the stranger saw the men with shotguns and, wisely, kept clear of them! But, as far as I know, he wasn’t caught. At least, yet.”

“My goodness, Sylvi. But, the horse was quite safe?”

“Yes, Susan. Quite safe, Daddy assured us. He was taken down to Wadebridge goods yard where horse and men boarded a waiting BR SR Green horsebox, also under guard by two armed plainclothes detectives from Exeter, and they were taken off with another horse and groom in a second horsebox to, I believe, Devon, but neither Daddy nor Huw would say.”

“Hmm,” replied Susan. “Whilst, of course, I’m glad none of the horses were hurt, I rather think there is rather more involved here than a racehorse and a betting syndicate, Sylvi. Snapper certainly seemed to think so.”

“What makes you say that, Susan?” asked Eli.

“Well, you have heard of Admiral Tregowan,” replied Susan.

“Yes, he’s known to Jeremy, my father and Huw,” answered Sylvia

“And my grandfather, too. Someone very important in London.”

“So, Susan, tell us more.”

“Well, whilst I was enjoying my excellent breakfast – my thanks to your housekeeper, Sylvi – I handed a very important set of calculations for the Cant Cove stationmaster to telegram to the Admiral. Just a series of numbers, so quite meaningless to anyone else. But I had to insist on checking the telegram before he sent it. It was fine.”
“My goodness, tell us more,” begged Eli.

“Well, at Tower Hill station, Mark, the guard …”

“Yes, I know him,” interrupted Sylvia, “a very nice young man. Sorry, Susan, please, continue.”

“Mark delivered the two sealed internal railway mail envelopes to us, respectively addressed to Mr. Audubon and Miss Susan Foreman. After closing the compartment door behind Mark, we each opened ours and read the note within. Snapper muttered: ‘Most irregular’ when he read his.”

“My goodness,” remarked Sofi, does that, normally, ‘appen on your trains? I mean special messages?”

“No, of course not, Sofi! So, what was it, Susan? In yours, I mean?”

“Oh, it had me rather annoyed; I’m used to having access to a computer for such things.” Seeing Sofi’s puzzlement she added, “I’ll show you, in London, when we go to my bedsit at 76 Totter's Lane. Sylvi has already been there. Anyway, it was a request, more like an order, from that Admiral to perform a series of very complex calculations in my head – which, of course I can do, if I have to. We’re taught these things in what you’d call nursery school on Gallifrey, my home planet.”

“Calculations about what, Susan?”

“About orichalcum or aurichalcum. You know that red-gold metal, with unique properties that was mined in many parts of the former Atlantis in ancient times.” Her friends, shivered.

“Oh, yes, Susan, we know only too well, from last autumn,” replied Sylvia. “I never want to see any ever again!”

“In Rockall, where my grandfather is making a detailed investigation, on behalf of the Admiral –, initially to grandfather’s annoyance as he was working on the TARDIS at the ‘World’s End’ pub in the King's Road – it is known as evragar in the south and evrakhar in the north … but it’s also mined on the island of Sonmel.”
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:26:43 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #6223 on: August 28, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
Thanks for your patience, Martin. You can continue or conclude the low-level horse doping story but Alan Poldory escapes to London. Only Snapper's boss and, especially, the Admiral and now, Susan, Sylvia, Eli and Sofi know what's really going on. Jeremy knows part, too. All will become clear. To answer Chris (Weave)'s question there are no gory descriptions and no-one gets killed in the West Country. 8-)

There are, though, still the confessions of the two men seized on Sonmel to come but they are only the 'monkeys'.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:07:24 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6224 on: August 28, 2019, 07:05:08 PM »
Getting betterer and betterer!  :). When all these chapters are put together in book form at the conclusion, can I have an autographed copy please?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything