!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 498515 times)

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #600 on: September 21, 2014, 07:45:39 PM »
Having weathered some old box vans, i decided to lightly weather one of my two Brown ex-LNER brake vans that I am currently painting, as an experiment, Jon. (NO point in having both look ex-works!) I will post pictures, tomorrow, so you can see.

I'll also post some pictures of the real-life prototypes.

Thanks Chris, I look forward to seeing them.
I'm following the rake formation that was posted in the Hornby Magazine issue 86. Its a china clay rake, now the in the magazine it shows a Class 22 ,midland 20ton brake two 12ton vent vans 14 clay wagons and two more 12ton vent vans and finally a 20ton brake van. My plan is to closely follow this but since I don't have space to run the full rake to do it as followed, the 22, midland brake van, two vented vans, 6 clay wagons and the 20 ton brake van. And that's where the ex LNER brake comes in. so that's my plan for that Chris.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
I have not seen that picture, Jon, however, I have a picture of an ex-LMSR long wheelbase brake van in BR Brown behind a N, 31842, on a fuel train (one black Shell / BP tank wagon) at Boscarne Jn., 8th May, 1964.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #602 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
The vans were used for bagged 'fine' clay.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #603 on: September 21, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
The vans were less likely to be covered in clay dust than the open wagons so be careful with the weathering. However, I did rather overdo the weathering on my van which I use in my china clay train.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #604 on: September 21, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
Colour photos of BR Bauxite ex-LNER short wheelbase brake van allocated to Wadebridge and used on Wenfordbridge branch in the 1960s (the first photo. shows one with Wadebridge's 'Queen Mary' bogie brake van -- I still have not bought one from the NGS I regret to report):

Useful for weathering guidance. Note, no sign of white dust from china clay. A light 'dusting' of rust on the underframe and pale grey on the running boards, I think should be enough.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:32:37 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline jd

• Awards
« Reply #605 on: September 21, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »
[quote

Useful for weathering guidance. Note, no sign of white dust from china clay.
[/quote]

This is true Chris. I do like that picture so if it's ok could you follow  the weathering from that on to the one your doing for me please.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #606 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »
The vans were less likely to be covered in clay dust than the open wagons so be careful with the weathering. However, I did rather overdo the weathering on my van which I use in my china clay train.

From the colour photos, I've seen a light coating of white clay dust on the van's underframe and around the bottom of the side doors of the van was typical.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
[quote

Useful for weathering guidance. Note, no sign of white dust from china clay.

This is true Chris. I do like that picture so if it's ok could you follow  the weathering from that on to the one your doing for me please.
[/quote]

Will do. Jon. I'll try out the weathering on my second brown van, this week, so you can see before I try your grey one.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: September 22, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
More quick photos taken this morning of repainted wagons.

The Castle Brewery (darker blue) and Castle Estates' (lighter blue) vans (only need a little 'retouching'; e.g. the missing paint on one van's roof, now done) and the first ex-LNER 'Wadebridge' brake van (completed):

The current four ex-LNER 'Wadebridge' brake vans:

Jon's brakevan after spraypainting with Tamiya grey undercoat (close to faded -- in the Cornish sun -- BR Early Grey):

Alas, I was in a hurry and forgot to add the Sellotape at one end to protect the area which did not need spraypainting grey!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:33:32 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: September 22, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »
Having, temporarily, cleared my academic work backload, I spent a happy morning painting wagons. (Pictures tomorrow, after the paint has dried.)

I also added a support on the cafe roof for the big sign which needs the (formerly missing) end painting:

When I make another converted brake van body beach cafe (for Penmayne), I will put two of the Ratio brass windows with extractor fans in the sides (one per side) instead of the central blackboards. However, with this cafe, you have to imagine that the big shutters (closed) at the end of the building could be opened and that would let in a lot of sunlight. Anyway, at Cant Cove, the customers will sit outside under umbrellas, (already bought from China), and only the kitchen, refrigerators and storage shelves -- which I will NOT be modelling -- will be inside the cafe.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:32:07 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline jd

• Awards
« Reply #610 on: September 22, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »
The cafe is coming on nicely Chris and so is my van.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :no:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: September 22, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
Thanks, Jon. I'm going to enjoy completing your van and the other two ex-LNER 'Wadebridge' vans. As a trial, I've lightly weathered one side of one of the two brown brake vans and brushed rust on the underframe.

The Cant Cove Cafe should be completed (minus Cornish sand), tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:39:38 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #612 on: September 23, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
Today's quick pictures.

The two formerly orange (as bought) wagons after respraying and light weathering and replacement of wheels:

Two purchased vans (only buffers painted by me; I think these are refrigerated / insulated non-BR design vans) with the weathered open long wheelbase flat wagon:

Completed non-BR design fish van and two open wagons (without wheels, as underframes have still to be painted matt black) in Castle Estates livery but before their interior is painted:

Jon's ex-LNER 'Wadebridge' brake van after spraying but before painting the underframe matt black, the handrails gloss white and general weathering:

Wheels also removed prior to painting.

Offline jd

• Awards
« Reply #613 on: September 23, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »
The vans are coming a long nicely Chris.  Can't wait to see it running on Weaver Cove on the clay formation.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #614 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
The vans are coming a long nicely Chris.  Can't wait to see it running on Weaver Cove on the clay formation.

Thanks, John. The various remaining van and wagon underframes have now been painted matt black and I've continued weathering one of my two ex-LNER 'Wadebridge' brake vans to give you an idea of what your grey van will, I hope, look like. Pictures, later, as I have to go out, now.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations