!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 534964 times)

Si.T and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5970 on: June 23, 2019, 05:32:08 PM »
It was an uncharacteristically quiet Sofia de La Vega who accompanied Sylvia Trevelver and Elayne Guillou, Eli, on the long train journey from West Porthsea Quay to Cant Cove. At the Quay, two BR Green Drewry diesel shunters, working on parallel tracks, removed the train ferry coaches and replaced them with waiting train ferry wagons and vans. It being a beautiful sunny day, the three young women had chosen to disembark after bidding farewell to Catala and Christian who had remained on board, seemingly the only passengers bound for Sonmel, to await the arrival of the Sonmel Customs & Immigration officials who shared a single-story office building with their British equivalents.

The CIWL coaches, Blue and White Pullman 4161, Blue Dining Car 3360, and Blue Voiture Salon 4162 together with the dark blue TOUROPA couchette car had been attached to a waiting brand new shiny BR SR Green BR Standard BCK into which the ferry passengers’ luggage had been loaded plus a handful of ordinary passengers, standing at the adjacent quay platform and one of the BR Drewry shunters had then been attached for the short but slow journey along the harbour and town streets to West Porthsea station. After enjoying the sea air, the three friends had boarded the “Pullman” car and taken their reserved places around a table for four. They could not help noticing the empty fourth seat had been reserved for Catala. The guard blew his whistle and, with a roar from its Gardner engine, the little shunting loco. drew the short train forward.

At West Porthsea, the diesel shunter had moved off and a short rake of BR Lined Maroon Collett design coaches for local passengers added by a waiting BR Maroon “Warship” diesel-hydraulic which would then take their train via Truro to Newquay where a North British Type 2 piloted by an immaculate BR Lined Green Large Prairie, booked for just such purposes, every summer, would be attached at the other end for the hilly journey to Penmayne via Port Perran and Trepol Bay to Wadebridge. At Wadebridge, the Large Prairie would be taken off and some of the Collett coaches removed to form a return scheduled stopping passenger service to Truro.

To make conversation, Sylvia and Eli discussed the strange goings on following their visit to Marton Hinmarche, the previous November.

“Do you remember anything at all, Sofia, of our visit there?” asked Sylvia.

“No, really, very little. I remember the train journey there and back but, in between, almost nothing, and you?”

“Only a few fleeting scenes,” replied Sylvia. “Just a general impression.”

“Me, too,” added Eli. “And I don’t remember any of us drinking excessively!”

“Very curious, is it not?” replied Sofia. “What about Susan and her grandfather? They were there, too.”

“Well, Susan, does remember everything, as does her grandfather but neither of them will talk about it,” stated Sylvia. “The most that Susan would say that the entire Marton Hinmarche area is in a space-time bubble like a time loop, she referred then to an American film called “Groundhog Day” then remembered that it will not be released until 1993! Apparently, it is about a US TV weatherman who, during an assignment covering the annual Groundhog Day event, is caught in a time loop, repeatedly reliving the same day. Susan promised that we could watch it in the TARDIS but it is back, in London, under repair, again, in a store room at ‘The World's End’ pub in the King's Road, Chelsea, where her grandfather has taken a room, having become bored with life at 76 Totter's Lane, Totter's Yard or Foreman's Yard . . .”

“But, for Marton Hinmarche it is a complete year, not a single repeated day,” interrupted Eli seeing Sofia’s obvious boredom.

“Yes, 1958, usually, according to Susan. Thanks, she said, to Doctors How, Where, When, Why, Which and What, all semi-retired there, for some unknown reason,” stated Sylvia. “There is some story about them and her grandfather that she also point-blank refused to divulge. All she would say was that it was difficult enough getting her grandfather there without revealing how she achieved it!”

“Yes, Sylvia, but tell Sofia what Susan DID tell us.”

“Well, as far as we can understand it . . .”

“From what Susan explained to us . . .”

“For non-Time Lords, crossing a space-time discontinuum is a very risky process without the wearing of something made from the incredibly rare red-gold metal, orichalcum . . .”

“Which is what the Daleks were seeking . . .”

“Ugh!” shivered Sofia, “I only heard about them but whilst I was singing with Enka Lou-Lou and Susan, I got a distinct sensation of pure evil . . .”

“But, we had nothing of orichalcum on us,” continued Sylvia. “Susan persuaded the TARDIS to protect us but the distance was too great to protect more than our sanity . . .”

“So, nearly all of our memories were . . . erased, wiped clean,” concluded Eli. “Gone, puff!”

“I see,” murmured Sofia who was now leaning forward. “And what was said or . . . done is?”

“As if it never was, Susan told us,” replied Sylvia, gravely.

“It never happened,” added Eli. “In our time.”

“It happened in a bubble in space-time disconnected from our own space-time continuum,” stated Sylvia. “Only some fleeting, disjointed memories and the strongest of feelings . . .”

“Like love, joy, pain and sorrow, Sofia,” added Eli before blushing as she remembered too late that Sofia had just been experiencing something like these emotions on board the train ferry. “Oh, sorry.”

“It’s nothing, Eli,” smiled Sofia, gently. “Just my injured pride; I’ll get over it! But, I remember something, Sylvia, about Captain Jeremy and you . . . It’s at the edge of my memory . . . and you, you remember nothing?”

Her two friends slowly shook their heads as their train travelled on through the sunlit countryside.

“Only some vague impression of great joy . . . but nothing more,” reflected Sylvia, sadly. “Maybe . . .” but then she shook her head.

“What, Sylvia,” asked Eli gently noting tears forming in the corner of her friend’s big, brown eyes.

“We asked Susan, but she said that she could not tell us and that what happened there and then had, but then, once we were back in our own time . . . had not! But, I do remember something . . . a ring, I think.”

“But, regarding orichalcum,” quickly stated Eli. “The Doctor has discovered another possible source on another strange island . . .”

“Not Sonmel,” interrupted Sylvia before remembering that that was not a suitable topic, “but Rockall where it is known as evragar in the south and evrakhar in the north and where Susan’s grandfather has gone for a detailed investigation, leaving Susan behind at 76 Totter's Lane so she can continue to attend the nearby Coal Hill School, but with the summer holidays coming, Susan can join us all at our rented house in Chelsea and . . .”

“That’s where we will be taking you after we have spent a couple of days visiting Sylvia’s parents at Trevelver Castle,” interrupted Eli.

“Yes, they’re looking forward to getting to know you better, Sofia. We exchanged telegrams from the train ferry,” explained Sylvia. “They’re back from their villa on Myknonos so will be very relaxed . . . ”

“Monique has discovered a new discotheque featuring an excellent young DJ, James Hamilton, at ‘Esmerelda’s Barn’, a trendy nightclub in Knightsbridge, and got us all free tickets and champagne . . .” exclaimed Eli.

“Probably, Spanish 'Cava',” interrupted Sylvia, with a grin, before quickly adding, “Actually, I prefer it to champagne, but don’t tell Monique!”

At this the girls all began to laugh, the tension between them finally broken. The rest of the journey passed very enjoyably, added by the excellent French food and drink in the adjacent CIWL Dining Car followed by long naps in the “Pullman” car’s very comfortable armchairs.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:11:44 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5971 on: June 23, 2019, 06:36:40 PM »
That's a brilliant bit of interweaving, Chris.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5972 on: June 23, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »
That's a brilliant bit of interweaving, Chris.  :beers:

Many thanks, Laurence, it made a very welcome and long overdue change from assignments, theses, and reports! 8-)

Marton Hinmarche and its leading characters plus a special train will make a reappearance after I've got the next strand started.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:50:45 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5973 on: June 23, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »
It's too hot to do much work other than writing.

Czech Weather

Above-average temperatures due in coming month

The coming week will be very hot in the Czech Republic and above-average temperatures for the time of year are also likely in the first three weeks of July, according to a regular four-week outlook issued by the Czech Hydro-Meteorological Institute.

Forecasters say daytime highs in the next week will be markedly higher than the average for the last week of June, reaching well above 30 degrees Celsius several times. Precipitation should be around average for the time of year over the coming month.

Weather forecast

It should be sunny in the Czech Republic on Monday, with temperatures reaching up to around 28 degrees Celsius. Daytime highs are expected to climb to around 33 degrees Celsius by the middle of the week.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5974 on: June 23, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
Enjoy the Summer sun before the winter sets in again!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5975 on: June 23, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »
Enjoy the Summer sun before the winter sets in again!

Thanks, Laurence, I intend to. I'll be out every day this week.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5976 on: June 23, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks Chris that`s a very clever & entertaining story.
     Lucky you with the weather, here in Cornwall struggling to get above 20c & rains every other day it seems.
         regards Derek. 

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5977 on: June 23, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
:hellosign: Thanks Chris that`s a very clever & entertaining story.
     Lucky you with the weather, here in Cornwall struggling to get above 20c & rains every other day it seems.
         regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. I'm very sorry about your weather. We would very gladly 'lend' you at least 5 degrees of excess heat!

Time to start my other thread.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5978 on: June 23, 2019, 09:38:53 PM »
Scotland Yard’s most renowned detective, DCI Alan Snapper, better known as "Snapper of the Yard", was seated at his office desk and feeling more than a little bored. Although never a user of hard drugs himself, having already seen the damage they were doing in London’s trendy circles, Snapper recalled how Sherlock Holmes, the most famous consulting detective in literature, had been described occasionally using them to escape from “the dull routine of existence”. Now, people knew far better but “the dull routine of existence” still remained and was just as enervating. Snapper checked his Omega Seamaster watch, a gift from a grateful government for recent secret services rendered and presented, appropriately, by Admiral Tregowan, it was 6pm exactly. With a sigh, the great detective turned in his chair, unlocked a filing cabinet drawer, and slowly removed the bottle of Tullibardine ‘Founder’s Reserve’ finest malt whisky given to him at Trevelver Castle together with a special engraved a glass tumbler and poured himself a generous measure before gently swirling it to release some of the aroma and reflecting.

The man calling himself, Sir John Bream, the notorious international confidence trickster, Fiddler, was very securely behind bars, having been found guilty of conspiracy to defraud, thanks to the evidence of the young blonde graduate researcher together with the highly incriminating books, maps, papers, and notes discovered in Fiddler’s trunk by Susan Tregowan, the tragically young widow of Detective Constable Samuel Tregowan, who had been working undercover in the "Clifftop Hotel" where Fiddler had been staying while plotting his biggest con, yet, namely that he had discovered the location of the wreck of a galleon with a hold full of chests of gold to pay troops and local supporters after the Armada’s landing. Fiddler had been suspected of a lengthy list of similar meticulously planned frauds across Europe and the USA, under a bewildering array of identities and disguises, but it had been he, Snapper, who had, finally, put Fiddler behind bars with the considerable help of his Cornish colleague, D.I. Rule. Both men had been highly commended and had had their pay raised to the maximum for their grade.

Those who had helped them had not been forgotten either. Susan Tregowan had been given a new identity and been relocated to Bristol, whilst the highly strung young researcher has also been given a new identity and been moved to Edinburgh where she had completed her doctorate before, thanks to an FBI colleague of Snapper’s, moving to a senior research position at a very pleasant university on the West Coast, Snapper had forgotten which and there was, of course, no paper trail.

The detective took his first slow sip of the superb malt whisky. Yes, indeed, all had ended very well. The “Golden Horde” or was it “Golden Hoard”, Snapper had never discovered which, was safely hidden away in the most secure location known to HM Government, represented by Admiral Tregowan, advised by that eccentric old man, known as the ‘Doctor’. A substantial reward had been paid to Lord Trevelver who had, Snapper shook his head in bemusement, spent it on, of all things, preserving old steam engines!

There was only one annoying niggling detail, a small bit player in the plot, a certain Alan Poldory, had somehow managed to escape from custody, at Bodmin, and not been seen since. However, in Snapper’s voluminous filing system there was a British Transport Police report of a man seen leaving an empty train stabled in Paddington Sidings, later that very day. A special train which had reversed at Bodmin General station! Snapper took another reflective sip. Poldory, however, was hardly the calibre of petty criminal worthy of the concern of a great detective. A single man who was truly wedded to the job, Snapper picked up the latest editions of London’s two evening papers, the ‘Evening News’ and the ‘Evening Standard’, in the hope of finding something, anything, to pique his curiosity.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:53:08 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5979 on: June 23, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »
The threads are mingling well Chris, I think  :doh:.
As for weather, I think warmth is due here from Wednesday on but we’ll be in London for a bit.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #5980 on: June 23, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
Don't go to any clubs in that there London Martin  :no:. Be strange folk up there, mark my words.

Good stories Chris (IP) although the vino tinto space-time (or is it lace-wine, I forget) continuum does make it harder to remember everything  :D.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5981 on: June 23, 2019, 11:02:20 PM »
 :hellosign: Just gets better, many thanks Chris.  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5982 on: June 24, 2019, 06:40:50 AM »
I wonder where all this is leading.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5983 on: June 24, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »
The threads are mingling well Chris, I think  :doh:.
As for weather, I think warmth is due here from Wednesday on but we’ll be in London for a bit.

I wish you a great time in London, Martin.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5984 on: June 24, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
:hellosign: Just gets better, many thanks Chris.  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek, next up will be Susan, but not today.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything