!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 490047 times)

Chris in Prague and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5955 on: June 11, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
:hellosign: Really Really  :greatpicturessign: Chris & Martin  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Seconded!

With a booked 6.33pm arrival in Penmayne, dinner at eight would, perhaps, be more likely.

Very wise, Chris, to have a couple of diesel hydraulics on the train in the first picture.  Martin has got it right; a steam locomotive!  There's a much better chance of getting to Waterloo with steam haulage.

Great stuff!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5956 on: June 11, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
Thank you, John, for the correction. Of course, the female passengers from the "Cornish Belle" would, indeed, require longer to get ready for dinner. 8-)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5957 on: June 11, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
I have long promised to post information for those wishing to run 'through' trains. (Photos. will follow when it is not so tropically hot, here, as I have to go through my 'stock boxes').

LMR trains are most likely to be routed via the S&D then the SR Mainline to the West and then Wadebridge.

ER trains are most likely to be routed via Banbury then the WR Mainline to the West and then either Bodmin Road (for Penmayne) or Truro (if only going as far as Port Perran) and, thence to Wadebridge.

ScR trains are routed West Coast as LMR and East Coast as ER.

WR trains take the WR mainline to the West, of course.

Portions are added / subtracted at Wadebridge.

The minimum portion for Trepol Bay (SR, via Wadebridge) and Port Perran (WR, via Truro) is a BCK; in peak season, a BCK plus SK or a BSK plus CK, depending on what is available and the regular bookings. These portions are, usually, added to local services of a SK plus BCK.

The minimum portion for Penmayne (WR and SR joint) is a BCK plus SK or BSK plus CK; in peak season, a BCK plus CK plus SK plus BSK, or a BSK plus SK plus BCK. These portions work through as separate trains but may have a spare BCK added at Bodmin Road, if required.

If there is more than a refreshment trolley, it will, mostly, be an RMB Mini Buffet or Gresley Buffet and it will work through to Penmayne and be in the centre of the Penmayne portion between the 2nd and 1st Class sections. If a Buffet Car is included, the SK may be replaced by a SO.

Overnight trains may have a Full Brake (BG) substituted for one of the BSKs and an SK may also be added if demand requires. The Penmayne portion would then be: BG plus SK plus CK plus BCK or BSK. Whilst the Trepol Bay or Port Perran portion would be: BG plus CK (plus local) BSK or BG plus SK plus (local) BCK. The BG can be a Stanier or BR Standard design.

Being 1963, coaches will be in either BR Lined Maroon or BR SR Green; however, the odd BR Crimson & Cream or BR WR Chocolate & Cream coach might still be seen.

Gresley (teak bodied) coaches can be seen in BOTH ER and WR trains (the WR having some SKs for use as 'strengtheners' at peak times, marshalled at the front) or even LMR trains with a portion from Sheffield or even York. LMR trains an include Stanier designs. Gresley, Stanier and BR Standard coaches can all be seen running together. There are no ER Thompsons available, yet. WR trains may include both Collett and Hawksworth design coaches as well as BR Standard ones.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:06:50 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5958 on: June 14, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Temporarily, leaping back in time from 1963 to 1957, Lord and Lady Trevelver have just returned from a rather wet late Spring touring holiday in North Wales. Whilst there, his Lordship, on an unofficial visit to Oswestry (89A) loco. shed, was informed that BR's very last '2301' Dean Goods 0-6-0 in service was scheduled for withdrawal that May, after completion of the enthusiast railtour duties for which No. 2538 had been specially cleaned and polished. Although the penultimate Dean Goods, No. 2516 (withdrawn in April 1956), had already been confirmed for official preservation, Lord Trevelver considered that the immaculate black No. 2538 deserved a working future. After a telephone call, with a follow-up confirmatory telex of the despatch of a banker's draft, made from their hotel, was received at Paddington, immediate instructions were telegraphed that the 'Dean Goods' should, after withdrawal, be sent to Swindon Works for a heavy general overhaul and repaint in her final BR livery before despatch to North Cornwall on an enthusiasts' special. An earlier 'phone call, made to Bill Truscott, the Wadebridge Yardmaster, had confirmed that the "2301" Dean Goods 0-6-0s were indeed on the official BR WR list of locos. cleared to run from Bodmin Road through to Wadebridge, although no known instance of this having actually occurred could be recalled. A separate 'phone call, by Lady Trevelver to Waterloo brought the cautious response that, subject to an official gauging trial, there seemed no reason why the 'Dean Goods" could not also be cleared for running between Wadebridge and Penmayne, too.

"Happy, darling," beamed Lady Penelope over afternoon tea.

"Delighted, my dear. Simply delighted and at a most attractive total figure, too. Now, I must find someone to look after her and run her from time to time."

"I'm sure you will. Just ask Mr. Truscott. He knows everyone."

"Capital idea, Penelope."

And this was the origin of the very first branch of what soon became the Great Western Society, at Bodmin.

[My sincere thanks to all at Poppingham for assisting with the preservation of No. 2538.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:19:18 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5959 on: June 14, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »
Sorry, no photo. updates due to very high temperatures putting me off going through my stockboxes. The weather forecast for Saturday should be clear and sweltering hot around the country with day temperatures reaching 34 degrees Celsius. I'm also busy the next week.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5960 on: June 14, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
I will need some loco crew for those locos. with open cabs plus some railway staff. There's an excellent selection here:

https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/product-category/n-gauge/

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5961 on: June 14, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »
I will need some loco crew for those locos. with open cabs plus some railway staff. There's an excellent selection here:

https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/product-category/n-gauge/
That's an excellent link, Chris. :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5962 on: June 14, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »
Thanks, Laurence. There are, indeed, lots of excellent figures suitable for different periods, too. I plan to order some, later, including the signalman.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5963 on: June 18, 2019, 08:23:11 PM »
Courtesy of the TARDIS, we move forward to 1980 and a very unusual visitor to North Cornwall on a special CIWL train from the Continent via the train ferry, Stratford's 47 170 "County of Norfolk".

Behind 47 170: Blue CIWL Dining Car 3360, Blue and White CIWL Pullman 4161, Blue CIWL Car 4162, Blue CIWL Sleeping Car 4787, Dark Blue TOUROPA Couchette, Blue CIWL Baggage 2170. (CIWL dark blue Dining Car 2871 and the unique CIWL dark blue Pullman Baggages car are omitted.)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:34:45 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5964 on: June 18, 2019, 10:43:34 PM »
 :hellosign:   :searchingsign:
    A very interesting & unusual visitor Chris, looking splendid hauling the CIWL coaches   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5965 on: June 19, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »
47170 certainly does get about a bit...

Mintrix Class 47 (47170 "County of Norfolk") by Rail Squid, on Flickr
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5966 on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
Yes, 47 170 seems to have the ability to travel in time and space! 8-) The yellow and black cab end paintwork on yours looks rather better than on mine. If metal nameplates and crests ever become available for "County of Norfolk", it may well go to Gideon for some cosmetic attention. Until then, I plan to repaint, in black, the area around the buffer beam where some yellow is visible on mine and add silver buffers. Whilst my 47 170 was being DCC-fitted, Douglas replaced all the interior tail lighting with LEDs which work on DCC as the internal bulb had gone on one end and the old lighting would not work on DCC anyway. So the twin lights do work but I did not connect up the DCC track supply for the photos.

My 47 170 was an eBay bargain and bought because I travelled behind "County of Norfolk" on the Liverpool Street to Norwich line. As I also have the Minitrix BCK and CK coaches in BR Blue and Grey, I can duplicate your train.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5967 on: June 20, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
It seems that Dean Goods No. 2538 was one of the ex-GWR steam locos. which carried red-backed cabside number plates in the early 1950s. However, these reverted to black before withdrawal in 1957. Maybe the change coincided with the replacement of the large BR Early Crest transfers on its tenders by much smaller ones, which is the livery I want it to carry. I have bought a large black and white photo. threequarters view of No. 2538 on one of its final railway enthusiast specials as a guide for Gideon.

The photo. was taken at TREHERBERT in 1956.
The seller's caption states that it was withdrawn: 30/06/57
Seen here with Gloucester Railway Society Special
At Treherbert in the early part of 1956.  Allocated 89A.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5968 on: June 23, 2019, 10:27:30 AM »
Returning to 1963. Sofia will be accompanying Sylvia and Eli, by train from West Porthsea Quay back to Trevelver Castle via Truro, Newquay, Wadebridge, and Cant Cove, to get ready for the Summer train timetable. Before that, though, Sylvia and Eli will take Sofia (still put out by Catala's swift 'conquest' of Christian) to stay in Chelsea where they will meet up with the rest of the "Chelsea Girls" including Susan then go to one of the new discotheques featuring a young DJ, James Hamilton, at "Esmerelda’s Barn", a nightclub in London’s Knightsbridge, infamously owned by the Kray Twins, where Sylvia and Eli will spot someone all too familiar. Also, in London, the "Girls" can meet up with other Continental, American and Canadian young women known to them . . . (which I'll leave to Chris (Weave) to describe how they all end up, in London, at a Youth Hostel). That sighting in the nightclub will lead Sylvia and Eli to visit Scotland Yard and meet with another familiar character who has been contacted, quite separately, about a certain prize racehorse but, that case soon becomes far more complex . . . Inbetween, I plan to tie up various loose threads from October 1962. The horseracing theme will involve various West Country and offshore locations (i.e. Sonmel) plus a special racegoers train from Marton Hinmarche.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:44:00 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5969 on: June 23, 2019, 10:40:32 AM »
Another quick note on Summer Saturday passenger train formations. There is a colour photo, p32, May 2019 "The Railway Magazine", of a summer Saturday holiday express, behind a Hall", in August 1963, the first five coaches of being three BR Standards, a BR WR Chocolate & Cream BCK, a BR Crimson & Cream SK, a BR Lined Maroon SK, then a BR Lined Maroon Gresley design SK, followed by a part visible BR Standard BR Lined Maroon coach. (All the SKs are presumptions, they could be SOs, unlikely, or, one or more, CKs). So, a similarly mixed formation would be fine for anyone wanting to run such a train to the West Country.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:11:22 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything