!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 542280 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5925 on: May 31, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »
Those two locomotives certainly look very good Chris.
Eastleigh works has done a good job on the pair of them.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5926 on: June 01, 2019, 10:28:02 AM »
Many thanks, Gideon, who did all the detailing and renumbering, etc. on these two fine Union Mills ex-LSWR loco. models, Derek, Paddy, and Martin.

Now that semester is, finally, over, I can catch up with all my correspondence and writing for fun.

The Lone Star footbridge is a replacement for one I once had, decades ago, and is high enough to clear trains if placed at track level. It will be replaced by an adapted (central span lengthened to bridge the broad gauge track spacing between platforms) Ratio SR concrete one, far more in keeping. I think that will be one of my first, small modelling projects, this month, as I have all the parts ready and painted. It just needs to be assembled and placed. Probably with some minor painting and weathering to disguise any glueing.

Then, there is the construction of "the Station Hotel", from several kit buildings pieces I have long had but I may need to buy some extra pieces like plastic windows and stonewalling. I also want to fit lit interiors. The various LSWR pattern North Cornwall Railway station buildings are still missing and I'm still debating how to construct them.

I have discussed, earlier, with my landlord adding the hardboard backscene boards (I have photo quality colour sky backscenes to glue on them but need to buy, locally, the right glue). I also have the paint to paint the inside of the lid a matching sky blue, I hope, too. That will greatly improve the photos.

Another project, delayed from last year is static grass. Again, I have everything needed.

There are still more locos. and CIWL Pullman coaches to come, soon. The next, I hope, will be a detailed UM 3440 "City of Truro" in the condition it ran in on BR WR from 1957-1961 (so two years before the current Summer of 1963). No. 3440 did travel as far west as Plymouth, so can be justified (at a slight stretch) in North Cornwall. After that, there is another T9 in a very special BR livery . . . It would be great if UM did a second model of the Adams 0395 0-6-0s introduced in 1885 with the longer front overhang and, ideally, fitted with ex-L.C. & D. type boiler as No. 30564, the very last 0395 allocated to Exmouth Junction (72A, 8/50 to 5/58). Until then. I have to 'make do' with the preserved 0395 in Southern Railway black, No. 3439.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:56:26 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5927 on: June 01, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
Cant Cove's official photographer was blessed with sunshine when he took some further photos. of the two recent arrivals at Cant Cove after leaving their train at Wadebridge and returning light engine for coaling, watering and disposal, ready for the Summer specials.

Before that, especially for fans of the 'going away' shot, they can be seen departing Cant Cove in fine style on their lightweight four coach special.

First, preserved Drummond 700 Class 'Black Motor', 3F 30700 (72A) in Plain Black & Late BR Crest livery, fully overhauled and repainted at Eastleigh Works in commemoration of its sterling efforts on snowplough duties in the terrible Winter of 1962-1963. The class was introduced in 1897 and superheated from 1921. Along with its classmates, 30689 and 30697, No. 30700 was a late arrival at Exmouth Junction (9/61) and all three were officially withdrawn in November 1962.

The addition of the cab handrails is a great improvement.

Next up, preserved Adams 0395 0-6-0 SR Black livery SR No. 3439. Classified 2F by BR, the 0395 Class was introduced in 1881.

Both locos. need to have crew fitted (I have the figures ready and painted) and, following the article on detailing a UM loco. in the current NGS magazine, a couple of other cab area details.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5928 on: June 01, 2019, 12:20:06 PM »
SR No. 3439 became BR No. 30575 (allocated to 72A Exmouth Junction from 11/52 to 11/54, being one of the last two there, 30580 being the other and being withdrawn the same month.) No. 30575 was privately preserved, following withdrawal by a group of local enthusiasts and the Castle Brewery, Cant Cove. The enthusiasts, later, founded the Cant Cove branch of the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group. After some years in storage in the caverns under Trevelver Castle, No. 30575 had received a heavy general overhaul and repaint at Eastleigh Works along with No. 30700. However, due to a mix-up in identities perpetrated by a group of apprentices, No. 30575 had, initially, been turned out as BR No. 30700! The false No. 30700 was promptly returned for renumbering and relivering!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:27:21 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #5929 on: June 01, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
... CIWL Pullman coaches to come, soon...

Hi Chris,

Looking forward to seeing these coaches.  I have these on my project list as well.  My plan is to respray some of the old Graham Farish Pullman coaches in to blue and add decals.  I was hoping to convince Electra Graphics to create some vinyls but this came to nothing.

[Edit] Oh and by the way - you could fly a Spitfire under that footbridge.  :D

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5930 on: June 01, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
May saw a very unusual train pass through Cant Cove on the way to Penamyne, hauled by one of the local BRC&W Co. Type 3's No. D6571. The 'Crompton', as enthusiasts have nicknamed them, had been booked to haul a train of empty continental dual-braked and electrically heated coaches specially constructed to UK loading gauge coaches, for 'gauging trials', unloaded from the Regleun to West Porthsea Quay - train ferry. As there was no suitable accommodation for the BR SR guard, D6571 had brought with it a recently overhauled ex-LBSCR LWB brake van as used on the Trepol Bay Harbour incline and the Castle Estates branch.

The leading coach is a special 'day coach' open composite of the DB 'Silver Fish' (nickname) type where it is proposed, prebooked freshly packed meals and a selection of drinks, delivered to the TOUROPA passengers at principal stations, morning, afternoon and evening. can be consumed and groups of friends can sit together during the day. This will also allow for the couchette compartments to be cleaned daily. The double doors allow for the easy loading and unloading of a refreshment trolley service.

Behind it is the prototype TOUROPA Couchette which had previously been worked through to Penmayne in a train of ferry wagons.

Following that is the first of the small production series of fully fitted out TOUROPA Couchettes.

With the special brake van at the rear.

The trials having been successfully concluded, at least one of the small production series of fully fitted out TOUROPA Couchettes will be added to the CIWL Ferry Train, June to September. For PR purposes, a second fully fitted out TOUROPA Couchette has been delivered to Trepol Bay and opened to the admiring public.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:39:25 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5931 on: June 01, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »
That is certainly an unusual combination of locomotive and rolling stock.

I was emotionally scarred as a child by having to run a shortened Hornby Mk3 with scale-length Lima (or was it Jouef?) Mk3 coaches, and since then instinctively avoid coaches which have been artificially reduced in length, so the only Silberlinge I have would be horribly out of UK loading gauge. However the "short" versions of various Continental coaches do seem to crop up a lot on Japanese auction sites etc. so it's conceivable some could be acquired for Knotmore Street traffic.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5932 on: June 01, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
I remember well the 'Silver Fish' coaches so thought I would buy a cheap pair for memory's sake. However, the brake end one, being a different make, is full length and, therefore, not suitable to either make up a pair or to play the role of a shorter 'UK loading gauge' coach. No matter, I'm sure that I can find a scale length 'Silver Fish' composite and / or a second class one.

The earlier, under scale length Continental coach models are very suitable for shorter 'UK loading gauge' coaches. So, Ian, if you can find some suitable bargains on Japanese auction sites, etc., please, do, especially the Minitrix 3013 Touropa Couchette Cars (I look for ones in original boxes, if possible) and then a Touropa Couchette Car(s) could, indeed, appear at  Knotmore Street, either on its / their own or attached to a CIWL Pullman ferry train.

The four which make up our imaginary CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Brittany - Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) are: LIMA CIWL Sleeping Car 4787, LIMA 320333 Blue and White CIWL Pullman 4161, LIMA 320304 Blue CIWL Dining Car 3360, and LIMA Blue CIWL Voiture Salon 4162.

New additions are: Rivarossi CIWL dark blue Dining Car 2871 and the unique Graham Farish CIWL dark blue Pullman Baggages car (not numbered). These are very rare. I was not willing to pay 35 for a matching Graham Farish 0647 N Gauge CIWL Orient Express Dining Car. Paddy, if I knew the typeface, font and size, I could, I think, have some transfers made and respray a similar standard Graham Farish British 'Pullman' car?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:20:12 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5933 on: June 01, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »
Trepol Bay station was bathed in bright late evening sun just a few minutes ago as our photographer captured this remarkable scene :
B807D3E5-8AA5-4A3F-B6FA-E45E014F5C8F by martin scane, on Flickr

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5934 on: June 01, 2019, 06:53:07 PM »
The blue carriage at the end of Platform 2 is a Touropa Couchette which is being worked throughout Cornwall as part of a promotional programme to encourage European travel.
  62A0804D-520A-4DF2-8992-DF47AB215B94 by martin scane, on Flickr
The carriage is marshalled next to a green SR restaurant car and buffet in which, for a very small charge, members of the public can sample European cuisine before looking over the Touropa.
The train will spend 24 hours at Trepol Bay before moving on to Wadebridge.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5935 on: June 01, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
Thank you very much, Martin, for some more excellent, sunlit photos. It is hoped that the TOUROPA couchettes will prove a great success bringing young backpackers from across Europe and will make the CIWL Pullman ferry trains more successful by increasing the number of passengers carried by the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Brittany - Cornwall (via the Regleun to West Porthsea Quay train ferry) service.

Now, that the additional coaches have been passed to run from West Porthsea Quay over BR tracks, the go-ahead for the service has been given to commence on Saturday, June 1st 1963, timed to coincide with the university summer break.

Similar to at Trepol Bay, a BR SR Green Standard RFO and RMB coupled to a TOUROPA blue couchette car will be exhibited at Cant Cove, during May weekends, as part of the same promotional campaign organised by Marielle Kerbriant, the SW England CIWL and now, also, TOUROPA, representative, working with fellow Breton, Eli and her friend and business partner Sylvia, with the assistance of Sofia and Catala for the first weekend, who had arrived by CIWL Pullman, thanks to Marielle. Sofia and Catala then had to return home but arranged to meet, again, in Munich to travel with Sylvia and Eli in the inaugural couchette car service.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5936 on: June 01, 2019, 10:45:11 PM »
 :hellosign:    :greatpicturessign:
 Many thanks Chris & Martin for the latest superb photos, have added the Touropa coaches to my wish list in the hopefully not too distant future
    regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5937 on: June 02, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
A bit of overdue cross-referencing. Some very important visitors were in Auchterarder, Perthshire from Port Regleun and Principat d'izaro to finalise the arrangements for shipments of "Tullibardine" whisky. The special CIWL "Pullman" train included the CIWL dark blue Pullman Baggages car with the visitors'' baggage.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/77/4934-080519175307-771842492.jpeg

The visitors to Auchterarder, Perthshire had, first, arrived in connection with the special train of ferry vans arriving at Cant Cove for transfer to the Castle Branch, a special 'scratch set' of Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits (CIWL) "Pullmans" brought a party of Continental business people for a meeting in Trevelver Castle's Great Hall to discuss ways how to increase Continental trade via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry. A scratch set was necessary as the usual set of coaches for the timetabled CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Brittany - Cornwall service are all under repair, following frost damage, two in South Devon and the rest at the CIWL Workshop at Ostende, Belgium.

The 'scratch set' is formed of a new CIWL dark blue Dining Car 2871 and a unique CIWL dark blue Pullman Baggages car.

URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2019-04-04%2016.13.57_zpsw0wq757v.jpg.html][/URL]

The train was hauled from Wadebridge by BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 No. 76005 (72B, Salisbury) which had taken over from the usual BRC&W Co. Type 3. No. 76005 had arrived on a special goods train from Salisbury. The BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0's are not often seen West of Salisbury but are under evaluation to replace the elderly N Class 2-6-0s beyond 1964.

[I really need to use some closer coupling device between the loco. and its tender.]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:17:01 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5938 on: June 02, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
My apologies for the repost of these pictures but, with the help of Andrew and Chris (Weave), amongst others, I hope that we can tie together the story of the "Tullibardine" whisky vans' journey south, including the ferry van.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5939 on: June 02, 2019, 03:08:21 PM »
A good route south might be via the Great Central mainline, leaving at Woodford Halse and travelling via the Aylesbury and Worcester to join the GWR line from Leamington Spa to Cheltenham and so on to Bristol.  I'm not quite sure how we can get pictures of the Tullibardine whisky vans at Marton Hinmarche, though.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%