!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 536521 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5895 on: May 20, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
Still away for renumbering to D9501, the only Class 14 I ever saw in BR WR service, is this very nice model, it's photo. taken a few years ago, at Cant Cove:

It is hoped that it will return, later, this summer, 1964 (in this case). However, the main year is 1963, this year.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:52:11 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5896 on: May 20, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
With a special train from South Devon, which it took over at Wadebridge, the local Z Class gets a break from station work at Cant Cove. It heads for Penmayne with a rather dirty old Siphon H, a brand new WR BR Standard RO Restaurant Kitchen coach (on loan until the start of the Summer timetable when it will be working to and from Paddington), a shellfish van which will be unloaded there, an ex-works fitted BR Standard Shoc-Van and a rather weathered BR Standard brake van. The train is part of an exhibition of South Devon food and drink being held at Penmayne. The exhibition stands are in the Siphon H and gourmet meals will be prepared in the Restaurant Car.

The old Siphon H.

The brand new Restaurant Car.

The Brixham shellfish van with a BR Shoc-Van.

In the background can be seen the newly transferred Drewry 0-6-0 yard pilot in the loco. shed siding.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:37:18 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5897 on: May 20, 2019, 09:24:40 PM »
Ex-BR WR 14xx No. 1462 (on loan from Exeter St. Davids (83C) where it was withdrawn from BR service in August 1962) is eking out its last days on loan to the GWS (Bodmin) whilst they await the return from overhaul of its similarly liveried classmate 1468 (83E). Here we see No. 1462 plus a single autocoach (the limit given the steep gradients involved) working an enthusiasts' special from Port Perran which had called at Trepol Bay and Wadebridge to enable the enthusiasts to take photos. No. 1462 will then be sold to the GWS (Port Perran).

Alas, 1462 has already lost its smokebox numberplate but not its cabside ones. [The chimney is also loose, hence its strange angle. I'll let its new owner fix those as, once 1468 arrives, this No. 1462 will be sold. The loco. is DCC-fitted by Douglas at Wickness Models. If no-one wants to buy it, here, it will go to Gideon for cosmetic attention and resale. Martin's DC No. 1462 will, of course, remain in service.]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:40:12 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5898 on: May 21, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
The enthusiasts' special from North Wales brought a very unexpected loco. to North Cornwall. It is 1963 and following the December 1962 regional boundary changes North Wales is no longer WR territory but LMR and WR locos. are out of favour. Swindon built Ivatt 2-6-0 in BR Lined Green livery No. 46526 was one of those. Having been allocated to Oswestry (89A then 89D) 12.56 to 3.62 and, again 9.62 to 12.62, it was a clear favourite to work the train formed of BR Lined Maroon Standard stock, some LMR and some WR, plus a WR Hawksworth brake end, unusually, still in BR Crimson & Cream.

No. 46526 will be preserved by the CLPG (Cant Cove) and is expected to find favour with both (G)WR loco. crew being a Swindon-built and Swindonised modern design in lined green and SR loco. crew (being similar to the very popular Ivatt 2-6-2Ts). The tender cab has been especially well received by the admiring local railway staff. No. 46526 was one of the final 25 Ivatt Moguls (46503 to 46527) all of which were built at Swindon Works, in 1953, and, being allocated to the Western Region, consequently carried the GWR-type vacuum ejector and firehole doors. The Swindon locomotives were turned out, initially, in lined black. Under the Hanks regime, some received lined green livery as they passed through works, No. 46526 being one. At only 10 years old, No. 46526 has decades of useful life ahead on local passenger and goods services.

Behind the immaculate Ivatt is First Corridor, FK M13323

Restaurant Unclassified (Kitchen) RU W1917

Restaurant First Open, RFO M1

Second Open, SO M4780

Hawksworth Brake Second Corridor, BSK W2207 (fitted with its gangway end plate)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:03:47 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5899 on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
 :hellosign:  Many thanks Chris for the latest  :greatpicturessign:
    regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5900 on: May 22, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »
Nice looking loco.
When I first started to read the text, my brain transposed the numbers which I read as 46256.
I though aye, aye....a Stanier pacific!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5901 on: May 22, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
Super photographs, Chris.

Thank you very much.

Mr Ivatt's 'Mogul' is a lovely little engine.  I'm glad she has a new home away from the rough and tumble of the LMR.

I'm thinking about a footbridge for Poppingham, so I looked at the very nice one in your photographs more closely than usual.  I then had that rarest of things... a thought.  Is it a 'Lone Star' model?

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5902 on: May 22, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »
Thank you, John. I have always been very fond of the Inatt Moguls and 2-6-2Ts and, whilst BR SR had plenty of the tank locos., two being allocated to Wadebridge, 41275 from Bletchley (1E) (Push-Pull fitted) to PLY (Friary) (83H) on loan w/e 9.9.61, move made permanent on 8.10.61, to WAD (72F) w/e 26.1.63, to BM (70F) on 14.6.64, withdrawn on 3.10.65; 41295 new to Stewarts Lane (73A) on 16.10.51, to BPL (72E) 9 w/e 14.8.54, to PLY on 16.7.61, to WAD (72F) w/e 26.1.63, to YEO w/e 13.6.64, to 9E (Trafford Park?) on 4.10.64, to BM (70F) on 15.11.64, withdrawn on 16.4.67, the Moguls were shedded far from the Southwest. (I have models of both 41275 and 41295 but they have yet to be renumbered and fitted with 72F shedplates.)

You are quite correct, the temporary footbridge is indeed a Lone Star one (I once had one) and one would be very suitable for Poppingham, I think. They do come up on eBay. The current (far too tall) metal model footbridge will be replaced by a kit-bashed (added central section to clear the broad gauge line spacing) plastic Ratio Southern concrete one far more in keeping. I have all the pieces, put away, I just need to assemble it. (One of the jobs for this summer.)

Apart from the far too modern level crossing (I had one of these, too), you could get a Lone Star footbridge plus accessories far more suitable for Poppingham, here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-LONE-STAR-Treble-O-Trains-OOO-N-Gauge-Level-Crossing-Footbridge-Figures/362655695583

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5903 on: May 22, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »
Whilst our good friends, leading "Chelsea Girls", Sylvia and Eli, are delighted with the success of the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Brittany - Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) train service promoted by their friend, Marielle Kerbriant, Jean-Luc's tri-lingual (Breton, French, and English) Breton cousin, they decided, whilst on holiday on the Isle of Sonmel, that it would be a very good idea to encourage more younger continental travellers, especially with the summer program of pop concerts in the grounds of Trevelver Castle, to visit Cornwall as well as Britanny and the Principat de Izaro.

Accordingly, after securing agreement from the CIWL HQ, Sylvia and Eli travelled from Sonmel to Munich to visit the offices of TOUROPA which has been promoting affordable holidays, by train, for the average person, since 1948. Sylvia and Eli already knew that TOUROPA provides holiday round trips to Austria, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and Yugoslavia, as well as within Germany, but not, yet, to France or across the Channel. Together with the Baedeker publishing house, small travel guides are published for individual travel areas and the two young women agreed to produce additional guides, with their local and continental friends -- who were already familiar with TOUROPA.

Working closely with German Federal Railways (DB), modern comfortable couchette cars have been developed and painted in TOUROPA's dark blue livery. Sylvia and Eli, thinking such couchette cars would be very popular with young people, secured agreement for a prototype British loading gauge TOUROPA couchette coach (sponsored by DB and BR) to be transferred to the CIWL Workshop at Ostende, Belgium, (managed by Jean-Luc), for final preparation for safe operation in train ferry services to and from the West Country. The prototype couchette is scheduled for arrival at Penmayne, in June, where it will be used for a promotional tour. If it is successful, as expected, a small production batch will follow, incorporating lessons learnt in use, and the prototype will be modified to match.

(Incidentally, there was no gender segregation in the couchette cars at the time. Allegedly, tipping the conductor enabled you to choose with whom you shared a compartment!)

[For those interested, the actual model is the Minitrix 3013 N TOUROPA Express Train Couchette in Blue. It's destination plates will need to be replaced with suitable new ones]

https://web.archive.org/web/20101121200332im_/http://blog.touropa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/touropa-fernexpress-schild-robert-viktor.jpg
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:54:23 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5904 on: May 22, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
That sounds like a comprehensive plan, Chris.  :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5905 on: May 23, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
Hi Chris,

Nice idea. My Roco Touropa coaches are 7 inches long but the shorter early production Minitrix one should be perfect for UK running.

I'll get one in the future for 'through runnings' when the trials are no doubt successful.

It could be attached to the rear of the 'Star of the West', if there's room, just for the ferry crossing or even go in with any freight train. There is access to the upper decks on the ferry, as it takes foot passengers as well, so the young backpackers wouldn't feel like cattle.

Looking forward to pics in June.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5906 on: May 23, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »
Good morning, Chris

Thanks, that's great. Perhaps you can post some photos. of your "Touropa" train? I did look at all the various makes of "Touropa" coaches on German eBay but came to the same conclusion that the early production (not the later, longer) Minitrix couchette ones were shorter plus looked very good and were inexpensive. (A lot are still out there.) I have also bought a cheap, old Arnold one (I think Arnold 0343) for comparison but they don't look as good. The Arnold can be the test prototype UK loading gauge one? The oldest Arnold ones are very cheap but look pretty poor. I guess they could be resprayed though and have new transfers added? Not something I'm planning though thanks to the availability of the shorter very good looking early production Minitrix couchette ones.

As well as the ROCO ones (very nice models), the equally nice looking FLEISCHMANN ones look far too long to travel on UK rails but could look good on your layouts?

The problem with buying from Germany (even though it's 'next door') is the excessive postal cots, often higher than the cost of these old coaches!

Yes, the first Touropa couchette coach can be attached to the rear of the 'Star of the West', if there's room, just for the ferry crossing or even go in with any freight train. I'm glad that there is access to the upper decks on the ferry, as it takes foot passengers as well, so the young backpackers won't feel like cattle. You can reintroduce the young travellers from last (1962) summer! Needless to say the "Chelsea Girls" will be involved. Not Doctor Who, I think.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5907 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »
Thanks, Laurence. It's nice to plan these things as a break from my work! 8-)

With luck, the first Arnold and Minitrix TOUROPA coaches will be here some time, next week.

One of the two local BRC&W Co. Type 3s, fitted with UIC electric train heating has been specially cleaned and polished for the occasion together with one of the latest BR SR BCKs fitted with dual vacuum and air brakes as well as UIC electric train heating. A BR SR CCT will be provided for luggage and a modular promotional exhibition stand. Everyone is now hoping for warm, sunny weather.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5908 on: May 23, 2019, 07:02:40 PM »
It was mixed emotions that the departure of 94XX tank locomotive No. 8402, on loan following official withdrawal, and the arrival of its ex-works replacement, 94xx 0-6-0PT, also in BR Black Late Crest livery, No. 8485 (83E), was witnessed at Cant Cove. No. 8402 had performed very well on the steeply graded Castle branch whilst 8485 was undergoing a heavy general overhaul at Swindon Works but 8402 was looking very tired.

No. 8402, right, prepares to depart now that its replacement, No. 8485, left, has, finally, arrived.

A close-up of No. 8485.

No. 8402 has, sadly, already lost its smokebox numberplate.

However, its replacement is already at work on a train of "SAXA" salt wagons, a new traffic recently won, thanks to the efforts of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways. Food grade salt is required by the local fishing industry as well as by the Castle Estates and the North Cornwall Pasty Co., amongst other local bulk customers. Low-grade salt for winter roads is also an annual requirement. Following the long Arctic winter, road salt supplies are completely used up.

One of the wagons was worked along the WR mainline through South Devon then up from Truro to Wadebridge via Port Perran and Trepol Bay.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:04:57 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5909 on: May 23, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
Hi Chris,

I don't know the Minitrix coach but have Googled it and it looks OK. Have read that the 'old' Arnold rolling stock is toylike rubbish and to be avoided.

I'm not sure when they converted from toys to models but buyer beware on just the name Arnold.

Will try and do some pics later or defo in the next few days.

Touropa definitely went to the Spanish border at Port Bou (Catalonia) but think the tourists had to change trains there rather than the Wasteels, for mainly seasonal migrant workers, coaches on the other end of the Pyrenees in the Basque Country where they had their bogies changed. Not a problem in Izaro, being dual gauge, so expecting Touropa tourist trains there and will have to make some German related beach towels for my sunbeds  :D.

Will try and do some Port Regleun pics too but there's not much infrastructure there at the moment (got the builders in  :)).

I'll stop rambling and hijacking.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

PS. Have been 'thankyouing' but forgot to say thank you properly for all your great photos.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here