!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 615072 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5745 on: March 01, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
More of the mini story to come.

Meanwhile, the driver was correct, the North British Type 2s, in particular, the most reliable one sub-shedded at St. Blazey, D6313, are back in action, and the ex-GWR Prairie tanks returned to 'warm store'.

Here D6313 passes through Cant Cove on a special working from South Devon.

Routed via Truro, Port Perran and Trepol Bay from the WR mainline, a rather dirty Siphon G was added at Wadebridge with local WR traffic.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5746 on: March 01, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:  thanks Chris looking forward to more 
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #5747 on: March 01, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
I love the "driven into a brick wall" look of 22s  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5748 on: March 02, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »
I love the "driven into a brick wall" look of 22s  :D

Me, too, Mike. Maybe that explains why I have so many of them, nearly every one in a different livery variant. 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5749 on: March 02, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
The photos. of the train of ER BR Standard coaches from far Perthshire have been developed and printed. On the outward journey, it travelled via the S&D and the SR mainline to the West but, on its return, it will travel via the WR mainline.

By special request, Bulleid Light Pacific, No. 34064 "Fighter Command" (72A), fitted with Dr Giesl's Oblong Ejector. in August 1962, was provided for the last stage of its journey from Templecombe.

URL=https://s1060.photobucket.com/user/chrisinprague/media/2019-02-27%2013.20.29_zpssyd5eol8.jpg.html][/URL]

For the record, it's train was formed of SK E24945, FK E13245, RFO E3, RUO E1926 (unusually for 1963, fitted with B4 bogies), and BCK E21011, only the brake end showing signs of its long journey with a light coating of dirt on its underframe, bogies and corridor ends.

No. 34064 has been reserved for future preservation, after a heavy overhaul at Eastleigh Works, by the CLPG (Penmayne).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:51:06 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #5750 on: March 02, 2019, 12:58:56 PM »
Another great set of photos Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5751 on: March 03, 2019, 08:08:37 PM »
Another great set of photos Chris

Thanks, Andrew. Long promised.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5752 on: March 03, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »
After finding a suitably quiet backstreet pub where they could be sure of not been overheard, Driver Bligh and Guard Parks had settled at a corner table with two pints of peak condition "Castle Bitter".

"Ah, very tasty pint this," remarked Parks, licking his lips under his moustache.

"It is, indeed. pumped from a nice, deep, cool, stone cellar, the landlord told me, once I got used to his accent. He said he was from Wolverhampton, so no need to worry that he would recognise us. I said I was a visitor to Wadebridge from Truro. He had just bought the tenancy, he told me."

"He must like Cornwall, then."

"Yes, he used to come to Cornwall every summer. Best enjoy our pints; where we will be going it's all 'Headland Ales'. Have you sampled them, yet?"

"No, I don't often work one way, there. Just out and backs."

"Well, for four weeks we'll have plenty of opportunity to get used to 'Headland Ales'. Mind you, there must be a Free House with 'Castle Ale's, too, somewhere around. Ever worked one of those big ex-LBSCR 20-Ton brake vans, by any chance?"

"No, never. We never saw them in the Westbury area."

"No, I guess you wouldn't. Well, thanks to you-know-who, you're getting to get to know them VERY well. I hope their braking power is as good as we were told. They do, very occasionally, turn up at Wadebridge, Cant Cove, or Penmayne when nothing else suitable is to hand."

"And you a little Drewry diesel shunter on a VERY demanding route, where we really will have to work together! I hope the brakes are up to the job, too!"

"Yes, indeed. I was talking to an ex-SR man, at Plymouth, early last year, he'd been transferred after the WR had taken over the ex-SR shed of Plymouth, Friary) [72D having become WR 83H, 2.58), and he was telling me about the four ex-SR Drewry 0-6-0 diesel shunters that the WR had taken over, briefly, before returning them to the SR at Ashford, Chart Leacon and Hither Green in return for four of the BR built ones. Plymouth Friary had four of those Drewrys allocated from new, in 1957, to operate goods branches in the area. Apparently, the Drewry reps that came with them got rather upset when they saw the loads that were hung on 'em!"

"Well, we'll soon get an opportunity to find out for ourselves, won't we; you driving and me at the tail end! Cheers!"

"Cheers! Yes, well, I was told that it was about time I learnt more than driving the 'Baby Warships' and that, with the WR takeover of the SR lines last September, we WR men must be at home on the ex-SR lines and vice-versa! All one happy family, now! We'll have to work together and with the SR locals."

"Yes, he did say that, didn't he. However, unlike on the WR lines, there are no plans to replace the steam locos."

"Nor to stop the Waterloo services or axe any of the lines or services, I've heard."

"No, thanks to the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, just 'rationalisation' of operations. Time for another pint, I think."

"Yes, indeed, my round."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:15:17 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5753 on: March 03, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
So, where has the 'Fat Controller' sent Driver Bligh and Guard Parks for four weeks to learn the error of their ways?

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5754 on: March 03, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »
Bonjour Christophe,

Modelleeng from ze other zide of ze warter, je don't 'av much of a clou, seau I'll 'av a gess at Falmouth Docks???

Santé Weave  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5755 on: March 04, 2019, 07:52:18 AM »
They are off to work the Trepol Bay harbour incline I think.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5756 on: March 04, 2019, 08:17:39 AM »
They are off to work the Trepol Bay harbour incline I think.

That's right, Martin. Well done. 8-) So, I can leave it for you to describe their four weeks stay at Trepol Bay (1963), please. Working the Trepol Bay harbour incline will, the 'Fat Controller' knows, remind Guard Park of the importance of the guard always being in control of the train and, for Driver Bligh, working with the guard to ensure the safe operation of the train which the guard is responsible for. In addition, Driver Bligh needs to learn how to operate a diesel-mechanical shunter as the BR-built version of the SR's Drewry diesel shunters is coming to the WR, in Cornwall, whilst the larger BR-built diesel-electric shunters are also arriving to replace the WR pannier tanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:57:47 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5757 on: March 04, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
Parks and Bligh settled back into their seats to enjoy their pints.
“Well Eddie, we’ll be off to Trepol Bay tomorrow” said Andrew Parks, “I guess it’s not so bad and I don’t hold it aganst Mr Wickham, he was only doing his job and after all, it’s only just down the line from home. And it’s jolly decent of the controller to put us up at the Station Hotel, I hear the beer there is top rate”.
“It is indeed” replied Eddie Bligh, “I’m rather partial to a good pint of Summer Lightning in the warmer weather, we’ll get a chance to sample their Winter Ales”.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5758 on: March 04, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »
Twenty minutes later, Parks and Bligh quietly left The Molesworth Arms in Wadebridge. They had managed to find an alcove in the back bar, so that no one could eavesdrop on their chat.
“Our first duty starts at 7.30 in the morning” , whispered Andrew Parks, conscious that it was a secret arrangement, “I’ll meet you ar the station in time to catch the 6.05 train to Trepol Bay”.
“No worries”, replied Eddie Bligh, “I’ll get a good night’s sleep at home tonight after our three pints. Don’t forget your case. We can leave them at the yard offce at Trepol Bay and pick them up at the end of our shift at 4.30”.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:37:06 PM by port perran »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5759 on: March 04, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
Many thanks, Martin for the continuation but Parks and Bligh went to a pub where they would not be seen or overheard so it would not have been the Wadebridge pub used by other railwaymen.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal