!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 545444 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5730 on: February 24, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris ( & Martin) excellent story & pictures, looking forward to more
     regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5731 on: February 25, 2019, 06:38:41 AM »
His guests smiled. "So are we, stationmaster".
We need closure!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5732 on: February 25, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
Their teas drunk, silence reigned in the Wadebridge Yardmaster's hut.

Finally, unable to stand it any longer, both Driver Bligh and Guard Parks burst out, "It was my train, I take full responsibility Mr. Wickham."

"No, no, gentlemen. That won't do. Not at all. As I'm sure you are both well aware, gentlemen, the Rule Book puts a requirement on the Guard to satisfy himself as to the correct formation of the train and there is no doubt that the train was incorrectly formed. Now, I know that your concern was providing a train for a considerable number of waiting passengers for Trepol Bay at Wadebridge. I also know, from the Yardmaster, here, whose word can be fully trusted, that there was, and is, no spare brake end coach available and not even a vacuum-fitted passenger or even goods brake van, at Wadebridge, due to the widespread frost-related damage to rolling stock over the last three months. Your common concern, quite rightly, was providing a service to your passengers. The Yardmaster has freely admitted that he persuaded you to take the train out, that there was a suitable WR brake end coach available at Trepol Bay, so it would be a one-off journey with, in practice, very little risk to your passengers, the journey being relatively short and the line virtually level."

"Thank you, Mr. Wickham, but I won't let Guard Parks carry the can for this. I accept my part in the blame for this," replied Driver Bligh, quietly but firmly. His young fireman looked up in admiration.

"I, too, Mr. Wickham, will not let either Guard Parks and Driver Bligh take the blame. I . . . "

"Enough, Yardmaster. You have already stated your case most fully and forcibly. I must now decide what is to be done with you three. I can call a formal disciplinary hearing, at Plymouth, or we can agree to settle this, here and now with the understanding that there will never, again, be an occurrence of such a most serious nature involving any one of you. "

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5733 on: February 25, 2019, 08:07:04 AM »
Methnks that William Wickham is a fair minded and reasonable man and that a favourable conclusion can be reached over this matter.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5734 on: February 25, 2019, 08:20:22 AM »
The renewed silence was suddenly broken by a knock on the Yardmaster's door.

The Yardmaster glanced at the 'Fat Controller' who nodded.

"Come in!"

The Wadebridge stationmaster appeared followed by two well-known figures.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen," smiled the stationmaster. "Our two guests, who are, I well know, well-known to you, have a request to make, if you, please."

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5735 on: February 25, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »
To quote Kenneth Williams: "Stop hanging it out!".
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5736 on: February 25, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »
The phrase "getting blood out of a stone" springs to mind.   :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5737 on: February 25, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
“Thank you, General Manager, Yardmaster. We apologise for disturbing your meeting, but we wanted to ask you, seeing you’re here, in Cornwall, a most unexpected pleasure, I’m sure . . .” began the distinguished gentleman.

“What my husband is saying,” interrupted the equally distinguished lady, “is would you, please, be so kind as to present these certificates of thanks, on behalf of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, to all the BR SR and WR railway staff whose efforts to keep our railways open, and passengers and goods moving in this terrible past Winter went far beyond their normal duties.” She opened a large leather satchel like bag that had been hanging from her shoulder and removed one certificate from its leather tube embossed in gilt, APCR.

“My lady wife has just returned from Okehampton, where a most skilled calligrapher has lovingly prepared these parchment documents. All that remains is for you, Mr. Wickham, to add the names of the individuals and your signature, below.”

“While my husband has returned from a meeting with the WR senior management, at Paddington and Swindon, where he personally conveyed the thanks of everyone in the West Country, whilst I, myself, was at Waterloo on a similar mission of heartfelt thanks.”

“Yes, indeed. However, no-one knows better than you, General Manager, you Yardmaster and the various shedmasters, including, of course, Wadebridge’s, who we have all already called on, the identities of those who contributed the most to the titanic struggle to keep our trains running what may.”

“But, one particular story of dedication has been repeatedly told us, on our fact-finding visits,” added his wife. “That of a train crew of driver, fireman and guard, whose train became firmly stuck in a remote snow-filled cutting but who, somehow, managed to keep their passengers safe, warm and calm until a rescue snowplough train was, finally, able to reach them, many, many hours later.”

“My wife is, of course, referring to Driver Bligh, Guard Parks and, of course, young fireman Davie Thomas, who we are most delighted to, most fortuitously discover assembled, here . . .

“As if for this very occasion . . . So, we took the decision to have their names beautifully inscribed on these three certificates, which we would like to have presented to them by you, General Manager, along with their families, together with all the other deserving railway staff recommended by you, at a gala dinner in Trevelver Castle’s Great Hall. The Head Brewer of the Headland Brewery won the toss of a coin to brew a special strong commemorative ale which will be served . . . ”

“And, we have one more pre-inscribed certificate for you, Yardmaster Bill Truscott, for your outstanding ability to, somehow, maintain enough locos. and rolling stock in serviceable condition to ensure that the trains continued to run throughout the arctic Winter. Although we hear that, sometimes, and quite unavoidably, rather than see a train cancelled, you were forced to press into service some most . . . unorthodox formations.”

“As my husband says. We do hope that, General Manager, you will take into account the most unusual and highly demanding circumstances when considering any unavoidable . . .”

“Breach of regulations,” added her husband.

“Thank you, Lord and Lady Trevelver. I am well aware of the most extraordinary and exemplary efforts of the railwaymen and women of the West Country over these last severely testing three months. I will be very proud to add the names of all the individuals concerned and add, on behalf of British Railways, my signature to these beautifully produced certificates. Thank you, again, on behalf of everyone. Now, I must politely ask you, Lord and Lady, stationmaster, to leave us as I have a most important private matter to decide affecting these four fine railwaymen.”

“Thank you, General Manager, Yardmaster,” responded Lord Trevelver, rising.

“Thank you, Mr. Wickham, Mr. Truscott, the invitations will be in the post as soon as receive the names and addresses”, added Lady Trevelver, joining her husband at the hut door.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:02:04 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5738 on: February 25, 2019, 11:49:48 AM »
“So, my dear, do you thank our intervention helped?”

“I’m sure that it did but, in any case, William Wickham is known to be a fair-minded and very reasonable man so I’m sure that a favourable conclusion can be reached over this matter.”

“Good. Stationmaster, let us adjourn for a well-earned lunch at the table booked for us.”

Back in the Yardmaster’s hut, the General Manager began his long-awaited summing up.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5739 on: February 25, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
“Gentlemen, I am most grateful to Lord and Lady Trevelver for their timely intervention. Before I pronounce my verdict, you may still choose to wait until a formal enquiry at Plymouth HQ,” the four men shook their heads. “Good. So I will continue. My old history teacher taught us the importance of compare and contrast to gain understanding. So, let us review, first, your actions in connection with that snowed-in train. Here you all showed the utmost foresight and dedication. Yardmaster Truscott, knowing the enhanced risk of derailment from leading or trailing locomotive bogies in conditions of packed snow, you arranged with the Shedmaster to have a Collett 0-6-0 allocated to the train and organised a pair of Collett designed gangwayed coaches to ensure that the guard and your passengers could, if needed, move through the train. Driver Bligh, before departure you ensured, with the Shedmaster, that your loco’s tender was piled with as much coal as possible within the loading gauge and borrowed as many snow shovels as you could lay your hands on and had them stacked on the tender. Guard Parks, you arranged with Trevelver Castle’s Housekeeper to borrow more than enough Wilton blankets and rugs, and have them loaded in your guard’s van, well before departure, to ensure the comfort and warmth of all aboard. Fireman Thomas, despite it being your fiancée’s birthday the following day and by no means being certain of being able to return, in time to celebrate it, you insisted in accompanying your mate and, with the same certain young lady and guard Parks, arranged with the manageress of the Wadebridge station refreshment room to have enough emergency supplies of food and drink loaded in your train’s guard’s compartment to cater for any unforeseen emergencies en route. Most exemplary and in the highest traditions of the railway service. You are all to be heartily commended. The well-being of your passengers was, very clearly, always foremost in your minds. Indeed, your passengers got together a most generous financial collection for the three of you, with which I was going to present to you, on their behalf.”

“Thank you, General Manager, but we were only doing our duty,” chorused the four railwaymen.

“Now, with the deepest regret, we must turn to today’s most unfortunate events which do not show three of you in the same light . . . My decision was not an easy one to make.”
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:57:19 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5740 on: February 25, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
Keeping us in suspense Chris.
I hope you don’t mind a small criticism but you may wish to look at lines 2 and 3 of the last post which don’t seem to read perfectly.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5741 on: February 25, 2019, 07:58:27 PM »
Keeping us in suspense Chris.
I hope you don’t mind a small criticism but you may wish to look at lines 2 and 3 of the last post which don’t seem to read perfectly.

Thanks, Martin. I'm not good at multi-tasking. I've corrected it and hope that it now makes more sense.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5742 on: February 25, 2019, 10:24:45 PM »
 :hellosign: Waiting patiently Chris :D
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5743 on: February 26, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
:hellosign: Waiting patiently Chris :D
     regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. I plan to conclude it, today or tomorrow, depending on when I have some free time.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5744 on: February 27, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »
Three very subdued railwaymen left the Yardmaster’s office.

“Well, that was not so bad . . .  in the end,” stated Driver Bligh. “He kept us waitin’ long enough!”

“Too right! It was not so bad for me,” responded Guard Parks, “but for you . . .”

“It could’ve been worse for both o’ us.”

“Yes, yes, it could’ve been. But everyone says that Mr. Wickham is a fair-minded and very reasonable man.”

“True. And there will be no written record kept against either of us . . .”

“As long as we keep our noses clean from now on, Driver!”

“True. And the punishment fits the crime, I suppose.”

“I’m really sorry that I won’t be working with you, Driver Bligh,” said Fireman Thomas.

“Me, too, young, Davie.”

“It’s only for a month,” replied Guard Parks. “An’, at least you’ll get somethin’ positive out of it . . . unlike me!"

“Why don’t you cut along to see your young Lizzy in the Refreshment Room, Davie. Andrew an’ I are going to walk into town an’ find us a nice quiet pub with good beer where we can have a chat without anyone overhearing us. One of Mr. Wickham’s conditions was that this was to be just between the five of us, mind you. So, not a word to your young lady. Alright?”

“Thank you, Driver Bligh; not a word,” smiled Davie. “I’ll miss you on the Prairie tanks.”

“I’ll miss ’em and you, too, young Davie. You’re turning out to be a fine fireman. But, we’ll be back. I hope your new mate treats you well. You’ll be on the diesels, though, now the snow’s gone.”

“Thank you!” Davie rushed off, not hearing the comment about the North British Type 2s that were, once more, replacing the Prairie tanks.

“I wonder what the Yardmaster’s punishment will be,” mused Guard Parks as they carefully crossed the tracks.

“Me, too. But that will be between him and Mr. Wickham.”

“Right. Now, let’s find that pub you were thinkin’ of. You know Wadebridge an’ I don’t.”

“True, an’ we won’t be here for a month, so let’s make the most of it!”

“Right!”

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything