!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 510524 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5640 on: January 22, 2019, 08:30:28 PM »
 :hellosign:
Hope you get back to normal soon Chris.
Seconded!
Hope you get back to normal soon Chris.
Seconded!
Thirded, wishing you a speedy recovery Chris
       regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5641 on: January 23, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »
Thank you all. There is a flu' epidemic here. I have plenty of medical remedies at hand but rest, in bed, and plenty of sleep are what are required. I don't have a temperature or sore throat just a cough, aches and pains, and extreme tiredness. I hope to be better by the end of the week and do some writing.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #5642 on: January 23, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »
Ive only had "proper" flku once in my life. It wiped me out for a fortnight and I lost a stone.

Hope you soon feel better Chris

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5643 on: January 31, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
Thank you, Mike. I'm now just about recovered.

Cant Cove's official photographer, John Prynne, Chief Accountant of the "Castle Estates", having recovered from 'flu, travelled to Wadebridge, today, to pick up his colour prints.

Because of the steep gradients between Bodmin Road and Bodmin General, the line climbing some 300 feet in 3 miles and 43 chains, normally, nothing smaller than a 45xx or 4575 is seen between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge on WR local passenger or goods trains. After Wadebridge, the line to Penmayne runs along the northern side of the River Camel at not much above sea level with no gradients to speak of so a 14xx can be seen on off-peak, off-season services, between Wadebridge and Penmayne on occasion.

Not one but two 14xx locos. were rostered for a goods train from Cant Cove to Wadebridge. 1408 (83D, Laira; on loan to 83E St Blazey) led 1462, without top-feed, on loan from 83C Exeter, where it was allocated 3/5-8/62, until withdrawal). 1408, with top-feed, came off at Wadebridge together with the last wagon and van.

1408 is on loan to 83E St Blazey because similarly liveried, but without top-feed, 1419 (83E) has had to be returned to Swindon Works for remedial work [lack of bufferbeam detailing]. Similarly, 1462 is due to be returned to Exeter if similarly liveried 1468 (83E), with top feed, is approved for overhaul by Swindon Works. [DCC fitting at Wickness prior to detailing. If so, 1462 will be sold.]

The WD Royal Navy 'Naval Stores' coal wagon dates back to WW1 and is used for transporting coal, from a Wadebridge coal merchant, to power the top-secret Admiralty works in the caverns under Trevelver Castle. The non-vacuum braked van will be transferred to an SR fast goods to Exeter and thence to Withy Junction in Somerset.

The remaining 4 vans then continued, with the BR Standard brake van, behind 1462.

4 vans

The first two vans, from South Devon, are part of the latest additions to the West Country rail-served trade network. (Many thanks, Pete for these.) Similar trading agreements have been made between South Devon and Pertshire, as well as the Continent.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:53:33 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5644 on: February 01, 2019, 03:03:08 PM »
Some exclusive photos. have come to light of the first trials of George Enderby's prototype 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase Pallet Van developed for BR after the SWB versions had to be withdrawn because they derailed at high speed on CWR. Developed whilst he was at Swindon Works, BR HQ wanted to cancel the project as R&D was being moved to BR, Derby at the new Research Centre. The only way George could get his prototype tested was to have it moved to the seclusion of North Cornwall.

Here it is coupled to a BR WR Crimson inspection saloon which was filled with test equipment and, somewhat incongruously, hauled by a GWS preserved 14xx No. 1408 (83D, Laira; on loan to 83E St Blazey). No. 1408 proved, however, to be a very economical choice and capable of reaching the van's designed maximum speed, where allowed.

Being a prototype, it does not have the yellow painted axleboxes denoting roller bearings fitted for smoother running at high speeds in the later batches.

George Enderby is the shy engineering genius who came up with the original design concept for the 15ft. Extra-Long Wheelbase goods stock which is proving such a success on the West Country "Fast Freight Network" (the now unknown, outside the SW, predecessor to BR's much later "Speedlink" concept). What is known is that he was one of the very best apprentices at Swindon Works rapidly rising to be a key member of the team that developed the excellent B4 passenger coach bogie before such Research and Development work was, to very considerable local disgust, taken away from Swindon and centralised at BR's new Derby Research Centre. He had also been involved in research into the rail-wheel interface prompted by the discovery that SWB goods stock derailed at anything above moderate speeds on Continuously Welded Rails (CWR). However, rather than move to Derby, he took early retirement back to his home town of Trepol Bay where he became the highly respected General Manager of the local Wagon Works. A regular of Trepol Bay's renowned "Station Hotel" where he sits at his reserved corner table doing the most difficult newspaper crosswords (rumour is that he also composes some) he became friendly with the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, who makes it his business to know everyone and everything of interest. Brandon, in turn, introduced him to Marrek Prowse, the General Manager of the "Castle Estates", who then recommended him to the Alliance for Cornwall's Railways (ACR) where he came up with the design of the advanced, high-capacity Extra-Long Wheelbase goods stock. As BR proved uninterested (the "Not Invented Here" syndrome), the ACR contracted several firms of private wagon constructors to produce them, in Cornwall, Devon, and Somerset.

As mentioned already, he is a regular at the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, sometimes sitting at the corner of the bar quietly chatting to the landlord and his wife [Martin knows their names] or pondering over his favourite "Times" crossword and nursing a pint of his favoured summer tipple of Headland Brewery "Summer Lightning".

Everyone just knows of him as the 'Wagon Man'. Whenever he visits Cant Cove or Trevelver Castle, both of which are very rare occurrences, he is always treated with the utmost respect and "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, has standing orders from the "Castle Estates" and "Castle Brewery" that anything he wishes to eat or drink is 'on the house' but he always eats and drinks very modestly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:12:31 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5645 on: February 01, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
Lovely photographs Chris and a nice little story.
I cannot remember the names of the landlord off the topof my head but will look it  up later for you.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5646 on: February 01, 2019, 03:15:32 PM »
Thank you, Martin.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5647 on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:48 PM »
The 14.02 departure for Penmayne (via Wadebridge) was recently photographed leaving Port Perran's Platform 1 behind a BR Lined Green Late Crest livery 4575 Prairie tank. The train was formed of a scratch set pair of BR WR BR Standard Lined Maroon corridor coaches with the brake end unusually formed in the centre, BR regulations stating that the guard end must always be at the rear of the train for safety purposes. When the train arrived at Wadebridge, the irate Yardmaster remonstrated with the shame-faced crew who explained that there had been no time to correctly marshall the train when they collected the coaches from Truro. Fortunately, as is his wont, the Yardmaster had several 'Aces up his sleeve'. The offending coaches were removed to the nearest siding where the shunter could remarshall them, at leisure, before returning them to Port Perran behind the next departure. The Small Prairie's crew were instructed to couple up to an ex-works pair of BR Lined Maroon BR Standard Suburban coaches, recently transferred to Wadebridge, (after being rendered surplus, further east, by the introduction of DMUs). The few through passengers then reboarded along with the new passengers and the miscellaneous passenger-rated parcels were loaded in the guard's compartment. Sharp work (and a generous allowance at Wadebridge) allowed the train to depart on time.

The train, formed of BR Lined Maroon BR MK1 57ft Suburban Brake End coach W43266 and Suburban Composite coach W41058 was photographed, at Cant Cove, on its return working from Penmayne.

The train conveyed three local PO vans plus a BR Standard brake van for Wadebridge, Trepol Bay, and Port Perran.

From L to R: an empty BR Standard Vent Van in the livery of Messrs Prisk & Jones (Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers), Trepol Bay; a loaded Insulated Van in the light blue livery of the "Castle Estates" and a loaded dark blue SR design uneven planked van in the dark blue livery of the "Castle Brewery". The BR Standard van was a hurried addition and had not been sent through the Penmayne carriage washing plant. Fortunately, Lady Penelope, was in London at the New Year Sales!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:22:46 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5648 on: February 01, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
I cannot remember the names of the landlord off the topof my head but will look it  up later for you.

Hi Chris (+ Martin),

Great pics.

Tom Tridinnick is the landlord of the Station Hotel, Trepol Bay. Search 'ALTERNATIVE CORNWALL'. That's what it's there for. Don't know his wife's name but will include it when I know.

Hope helps.

Cheers, weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:28:50 PM by weave »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5649 on: February 01, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »

Hi Chris (+ Martin),

Great pics.

Tom Tridinnick is the landlord of the Station Hotel, Trepol Bay. Search 'ALTERNATIVE CORNWALL'. That's what it's there for. Don't know his wife's name but will include it when I know.

Hope helps.

Cheers, weave  :beers:
Hi Chris (Weave). Itís Tom and Alice Tridinnick .
Regards
Martin

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5650 on: February 01, 2019, 06:54:47 PM »
Good to see the green 45xx tank in your pictures Chris.
The loco crew and guard wete reprimanded on their return to Port Perran for taking out the train incorrectly formed.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5651 on: February 01, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave) and Martin. Duly noted.

The 'Small Prairie' is Dapol N - ND-060C ex-GWR 4575 class Small Prairie BR Lined Green Late Crest 5530, to be 5531 (83E).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:31:17 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5652 on: February 01, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
Hi Chris and Martin,

Alice is now on the list. Please have a read through (this goes for others too) and add a post if need be on the 'ALTERNATIVE CORNWALL' thread so I can add and then get you to delete your post.

Thanks and sorry Chris for the semi hijack but think it helps. I often forget the member's real name let alone the characters  :doh:.

Happy modelling. 5-6 inches of snow in East 'ampshire today so have done some helpful groundwork on the layouts. Nothing worth reporting on my threads but just to let you know I'm plodding on. Wish they'd sort the pic thing out as am still having difficulty with it.

End of hijack. Take care all and keep warm.

Cheers Chris (weave),  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5653 on: February 02, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
Thanks, Chris (Weave). We should rename it "Alternative West Country" as it now includes Cornwall, Devon, and Somerset. We need to add Pete's South Devon cast of characters and companies.

Definitely keep warm and safe over there. We had our heavy snow earlier; not that we often get much snow in Prague.

Good to read that you're still working on your layouts.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5654 on: February 02, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
And  Marton Hinmarche is somewhere in the region of Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Oxon, Northants and Bucks, so it could be described as on the edge of the West Country, the South Midlands or Central Southern England.  Take your pick.  :hmmm:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55%