!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 588290 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5565 on: January 02, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »
The Cornish Gourmet Land Cruise was granted a most leisurely schedule for its Christmas Eve ramblings.
Indeed the train , hauled by a Warship hydraulic left Penmayne at 09.10 arriving into Wadebridge at 09.24 where the train was split into the two sections. The first for Penzance and the second for Exeter. The Warship conveyed the second portion to Exeter (for a mid afternoon Christmas Carol event at the Cathedral) departing Wadebridge at 09.36.
The first portion, headed for Penzance via Trepol Bay, Newquay, Port Perran and Blackwater Junction was hauled by a specially cleaned Western, namely D1038 Western Sovereign,  which departed Wadebridge at 09.44.
First stop was Trepol Bay where the travelling first class guests were treated to a Champagne breakfast courtesy of Sir Alan Howard and his wife Alice of Shelwood Hall, Trepol Bay.
The few second class passengers aboard the train were treated to a full Cornish breakfast in the hotelís public bar.
A fleet of specially cleaned motor omnibuses was chartered to transport the guests from the station to the Station Hotel.
Some fourteen seats on the train were vacant as far as Trepol Bay. These would be occupied from there onwards by a special party who had travelled earlier from Tregonning House and were already at the Station Hotel.
The special party comprised :
Lord and Lady Trevarnon of Tregonning Manor
Lord and Lady Churston of Churston Manor, Devon who were accompanied by the illustrious author and philanthropist Dame Anita Crystal. These three had travelled to Tregonning the previous afternoon from Churston via Newton Abbot, Exeter and the North Cornwall Line.
Sir David Antrobus, Chairman of the Headland Brewery, with his wife Eloise and Giles Roskrow (celebrated wine and spirit importer). These three had also been staying at Tregonning House.
Hugh Pocock Hilary, owner of Samís Cider and Peter and Penny Creech (Creech Ales). These three had travelled up from Somerset in Hughís rather elegant black and off grey  daimler convertible.
Finally, Jean Luc Gwiad with his wife (owners of the Hotel Gwiad in Tremarget St Couxand) who were accompanied by Jean Lucís much younger brother Jagu who has a great interest in all things railway. These three had travelled, three days earlier, by boat to West Porthsea harbour and then on to Tregonning by taxi.
All had been lavishly entertained at Tregonning House the previous evening by Lord and Lady Trevarnon.

After the champagne breakfast, the train departed Trepol Bay at 11.00 arriving Newquay at 11.33 where additional guests climbed aboard. Departure was at 11.50 (the Western having run round its train) calling at Port Perran at 12.20 (12.24 departure). Arrival at Penzance was 13.38, the on board guests having enjoyed a five course luncheon.

Being a lovely day, the train party were invited to enjoy a promenade along the sea front in Penzance followed by champagne and oysters at the nearby Pavillion Rooms.

The return to Wadebridge (for Penmayne where Lord and Lady  Trevelver, who had been aboard the special train all day, would be hosting a grand christmas supper) was hauled by a very clean Standard  Class 5 4-6-0 timed to depart Penzance at 15.45. Arrival at Wadebridge would be 18.22.. On board drinks were supplied, of course, by the Headland, Creech and Castle Breweries, Samís Cider (supplying a very expensive 9.2% abv velvety cider called Winterís Grace) and a variety of wines supplied by Giles Roskrow.

EDD0BAEC-4BF2-457B-B81F-14FF9C84E7D6 by martin scane, on Flickr
Western Sovereign approaching Trepol Bay

3D3AEA95-8D1E-4D58-83EA-665C7B17FC23 by martin scane, on Flickr
Just two of the motor coaches having just transported the revellers to the Station Hotel at Trepol Bay.

16D3D458-7FFD-4B2F-8F21-E3A3AF61379A by martin scane, on Flickr
Finally, the Class 5 approaching Trepol Bay on the return journey.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:47:49 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5566 on: January 02, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
Many thanks, Martin, for these splendid photographs.

I was glad to read that Dame Anita had joined the party.  I recall that her house at Churston is called 'Greenpath' or something like that.

Wasn't it once said that Dame Anita had entertained more people in bed than any other lady?  Or, am I confusing her with someone else?

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5567 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:15 PM »
Many thanks, Martin, for these splendid photographs.

I was glad to read that Dame Anita had joined the party.  I recall that her house at Churston is called 'Greenpath' or something like that.

Wasn't it once said that Dame Anita had entertained more people in bed than any other lady?  Or, am I confusing her with someone else?

Best wishes.

John
I shall let Dizz, of Tora Bora fame, comment upon that as he is the creator of the ďcharmingĒ Dame Anita.  No doubt a play on names involving a certain Agatha and a certain Anita.
It is however Greenway House I believe and an excellent excuse to visit the Paignton and Dartmouth line.
Martin

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5568 on: January 02, 2019, 09:35:10 PM »
Many thanks, Chris, for these excellent photographs of the 'Cornish Gourmet Land Cruise'.  I hadn't realised that the D800s were permitted to work to Penmayne.

John

Thanks, John, no, quite right, they are not (being Red Dot) because of the weak bridge over the inlet to Cant Cove that Dr. Beeching refused permission to have rebuilt. The "Warship" was actually added and removed at Cant Cove, a 'Large Prairie' being used to and from Penmayne. (The train had to stop at Cant Cove anyway for the passengers from Trevelver Castle including guests.) However, BR WR preferred not to mention the steam loco. in the press release and the official photographer kept the photos. of the St. Blazey steam loco. out of the press, too. However, the crew were given prints, as usual. BR WR provided B&W and colour photos. of the immaculate BR Green "Warship" and "Western" with the press release as being far more in keeping with the modern progressive image that Paddington wants to promote.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5569 on: January 03, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
The Christmas Eve "Cornish Gourmet Land Cruise" is eagerly looked for to by many people, not least, Marrek Prowse, the General Manager of the "Castle Estates" and the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, who makes it his business to know everyone and everything of interest. Each year they take it in turns whether to take the train traversing the BR SR North Cornwall line or the BR WR one. This year, it was Brandon's turn to take the train to and from Penzance.

On the train, Lord and Lady Churston of Churston Manor, Devon, mentioned to Brandon that they had heard that the Express Dairy Company was looking to expand its sales of eggs from its Devonshire farms to Cornwall and wondered whether Brandon would like to be introduced to their sales manager, Sally Carter. Brandon, of course, said, yes and soon found himself being introduced to a very attractive young lady who, he discovered was the General Manager of the Express Dairy Company's Devonshire farms and was Devon born and bred.

Over cocktails, which Sally Carter insisted on paying for, it was arranged that the first, trial consignment of three railway van loads would be sent from Devon via Truro, Port Perran, Newquay, Trepol Bay, and Wadebridge to Cant Cove and the Castle Branch. If the quality and price proved acceptable, the Castle Estates would distribute them in Cornwall using its offices at Trepol Bay and Cant Cove station yards. Brandon was confident that the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, and "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, as well as the North Cornwall Pasty Co., Penmayne, would also definitely be interested in fresh Devon eggs and could easily be supplied by road transport from the Castle Estates' two goods yard offices. They shook hands, after agreeing Brandon's commission and that they would meet, after Christmas, to discuss prices and deliveries at the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, where they could inspect the eggs and sample them. It was, later, arranged that a CLPG BR livery SR M7 would take the vans from Newquay to Trepol Bay, Wadebridge and Cant Cove to please visiting enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:36:25 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5570 on: January 03, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
Is that called 'branching' out?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5571 on: January 03, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »
Is that called 'branching' out?

The arrival of the very attractive Graham Farish  377-440 N Gauge Triple pack of 12T Southern planked ventilated vans in "Express Dairies Devon Eggs" livery, at Trepol Bay, last month, prompted me to purchase, with some difficulty as Hattons had already sold out, a pack, myself, which arrived, today. We, now, also, have an 'Alternative Devon" joining our 'Alternative West Country', so it was a very appropriate 'branching out'. 8-)

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5572 on: January 03, 2019, 07:20:55 PM »
I bought the triple pack 'Express Dairy Eggs' when they were first released, (can not find the 'smug' icon  ;)), to go with the dairy that will be on my layout, (well, they are sort of dairy related  ???). As you say, a very attractive van.  :thumbsup:

Addit: According to my spreadsheet, I also have a single 'Peco' version.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:22:51 PM by dannyboy, Reason: added a bit! »
David.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5573 on: January 03, 2019, 07:34:07 PM »
Alas, David, I knew nothing of these vans until they appeared at Trepol Bay. The far better known Peco ones are eggs from Westmorland, so I don't have one, but others do. The eggs vans look very good with a Lima GWR Siphon G "Palethorpes Royal Cambridge" Sausages bogie van. 8-)

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5574 on: January 03, 2019, 07:36:22 PM »
Is there a bacon van to go with the the sausage and eggs?  :)
David.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5575 on: January 03, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »
Is there a bacon van to go with the the sausage and eggs?  :)

Alas, not but a BR White or Ice Blue insulated van or container on a Conflat could well be carrying fresh bacon and another, ordinarily van, mushrooms! 8-) Breakfast special! 8-)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5576 on: January 03, 2019, 07:47:42 PM »
The meeting at the Station Hotel in Trepol Bay was very hastily arranged for Jan 2nd and agreement was reached for the first trial batches of eggs be delivered the following day.
Assuming that the quality is acceptable, twice weekly deliveries will commence the following Monday.
Having just delivered the first load of eggs at Trepol Bay, the train, headed by the M7 is seen heading for Wadebridge and Cant Cove.
CDD73DBC-DACF-4E6D-B756-0402175EB992 by martin scane, on Flickr

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5577 on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:29 AM »
Thanks, Martin. Photos. of the train arriving at Cant Cove will be posted, soon, with text. Meanwhile, there are still other photos. to be posted from the Christmas period.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5578 on: January 04, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
BRC&W Co. Type 3 D6571 arrived from Durscombe and Withy Junction with a pre-Christmas combined parcel and passenger train running in the path of a local Wadebridge t Penmayme service.

The train included an LMR Stanier design BG M31319M, an LMR BR Standard BG, M80549, and a WR Hawksworth design BG W311, and, added at Wadebridge, an SR CCT, a Hawksworth CK W2207 and a Hawksworth BSK. (The BR BR Standard RMB was removed at Exeter Central.)

A WR BR Standard BG No. W80657, which had come up from Port Perran, was added, at Wadebridge, at the rear.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:09:44 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5579 on: January 04, 2019, 08:42:13 AM »
While on the subject of Christmas, at the suggestion of Wally Percival, Baron Tiverton is thinking about inviting his friends from Cornwall and the West Country for his Christmas house party next Christmas.  To this end, he is making arrangements for Tiverton Castle to take a rake of WR chocolate and cream coaches to collect them.  The train will leave Marton Hinmarche on 22nd December, ready to collect the guests the following day, the locomotive having been turned in readiness for its return journey.  There is a convenient link between the Aylesbury and Worcester and the former GWR route from Leamington Spa to Gloucester.  The train will cross from the former GWR lines to the former Midland Railway lines to the south of Leckhampton and then proceed via Bristol Temple Meads.  Baron Tiverton will send out the invitations early in the new year to give everyone concerned plenty of time to make their forward arrangements.  There will be plenty of first class accommodation and a restaurant car, with all the first class accommodation being set up for dining.  Those travelling second class will be able to dine in the restaurant car and, if necessary, the second class coach adjacent to the restaurant car will be set for dining as well.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50%