!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 489876 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
Great detailing Chris.

Thanks, Martin. I have enjoyed doing it.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
Brilliant Chris!  :)

Thank you, Mrs. PP. It's been great fun but now I have less and less time for railway modelling.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
Hi Chris that is outstanding. The attention  to detail is first class.
Jon

Many thanks, John. I was originally inspired by a picture of the interior of Bodmin General loco. shed., as I've described earlier on this thread.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #558 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
Nice stuff Chris . . . as they say, keep it up  :P

Many thanks, Jon. Alas work is severely limiting my free time for railway modelling for the next few months.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #559 on: September 16, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »
A beautiful sunny day, here, today. I have a seminar, this afternoon, but I hope to paint the bufferstop, paint more of the wagons, finish the cafe skylight and, maybe, add the shelves to the loco. shed.

More photos. to follow.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #560 on: September 16, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »
Just a couple of quick update pictures, today. The replacement packs of metal spoked wheels have arrived to replace the old all-plastic wheels on my wagons.

I decided not to weather the newer BR type vans as I now have two older type vans: one painted in Castle Brewery and one in Castle Estate livery this morning and weathered this afternoon. (Photos will be posted soon.) Alas, the van body of one of the BR vans has three of the four end vertical metal frames missing where they project downwards beyond the solebar so I will have to buy a kit to replace it and use the body instead as a grounded store (which will mean repainting it in BR brown livery). However, I was able to remove the nuts holding the body with the pliers shown in the pictures below and can fit a replacement coupling.

I have also painted the loco. shed bufferstop gloss white after a not very successful attempt to mask off a horizontal line to be painted gloss red, later. I have also fitted the 'skylight' in the cafe roof and, since these two pictures were taken, have repainted the cafe roof and painted the vans' roofs. I also painted the handrails at the serving counter end (which will need to be tidied up once the paint is 100% dry). The large roof sign (in the picture) is ready to be glued to the roof.

Finally, on the three ex-works vans, I painted the buffer areas gloss red. Silver for the buffers will be added, later. Maybe, tomorrow afternoon?

I need to find some suitably naturally coloured herbal tea for the unkempt grassy areas around the loco. shed! (Inspired by Juliaberg.)

Now, I have to begin on student assignments.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:18:34 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
Bet you pop on here for a peek between assignments !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #562 on: September 16, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
That I do, Martin, to give my brain a 'refresh'! 8-)

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #563 on: September 16, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
That I do, Martin, to give my brain a 'refresh'! 8-)

:laugh3: I do that, as well.  :NGF:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
Not much to report as my time is very limited and I got back home too late to take any pictures: finished painting the reliveried four vans (apart from the underframe on one), painted more details on the two ex-LNER brake vans and the loco. shed buffer stop which still needs some 'touching up'. The shelves for the loco. shed still need some 'touching up' as does the shedmaster's office window. The brake van body cafe needs the roof sign gluing on. With luck, this weekend, all will be finished. However, I have some more wagons (mainly wooden open ones) coming for relivering in Castle Estate livery, very therapeutic. Some will be weathered. But no major work (scenic sections, tracklaying) I'm afraid.

I even doubt whether I will get time to complete the other Ratio kits or the two KESTREL DESIGNS kits that have come: KD 20 COAL OFFICE, (will be for Penmayne if I don't decide to swap it for the Ratio one I have already made) and KESTREL DESIGNS KD24 WATER TOWER which looks a lot like the one at Bude, (Martin). If I don't use it at Cant Cove (there may not be room), it will also be stored for Penmayne. However, I plan to replace the brick walls for these two Kestrel kits with stone ones for Cant Cove. I also got (in the same lot) two packs of RATIO MODELS 311 DOORS (ideal for scratchbuilding and replacing the poor Kestrel ones) to go with my Ratio windows packs: RATIO 309 INDUSTRIAL WINDOWS (Brass) and RATIO 310 DOMESTIC WINDOWS (Brass), (again, ideal for scratchbuilding and replacing the poor Kestrel ones).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:46:53 AM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
Don't rush anything Chris. Just do what modelling when you can as time permits.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »
Thanks, Martin. I have meetings, tomorrow from 8AM and will be teaching till 9PM and I'm out most of Friday, too; so nothing more will be done before Saturday.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #567 on: September 19, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »
Well, I survived the longest day. This weekend the student assignments grading begins. In between, for a break, I'll try to finish the outstanding tasks and take some pictures. I'll also wash, dry and spraypaint with Tamiya matt grey undercoat, when I can, my new KESTREL DESIGNS kits and the RATIO brass windows.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #568 on: September 19, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
Some quick pictures before I go out for the day:

Cant Cove loco. shed buffer stop (modified Peco buffer beam) after initial painting in SR style; white paint needs 'touching up' to make the red central line straighter and a more equal width:

Most of the repainted wagons (some without wheels as the underframes still need painting; if possible, the new all metal Graham Farish spoked wheels will be fitted to the vans):

The two central vans are ex-works and in Castle Brewery (one of a pair, this one for traffic to Port Perran and Trepol Bay) and Castle Estates liveries, followed by older design lightly weathered vans -- no rust added, yet.

The shelves for fitting inside the loco. shed:

The painted weighbridge for Cant Cove goods yard:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:54:35 AM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: September 19, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
As ever, great attention to detail Chris.
I know you won't be happy with the bufferstop but I find that the camera greatly exaggerates small imperfections. I expect that with the naked eye the red strip looks fine !
It will need a very steady hand to get that straight so  best do it before you sample the products of the Castle Brewery.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here