!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 476388 times)

weave, Chris in Prague and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5490 on: December 04, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, John. That's good to know.

WOW! Boxed N gauge Graham B of B class "Spitfire" 4-6-2 loco BR green number 34066 has just sold, on eBay for 111.00, 15 BIDS.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5491 on: December 07, 2018, 07:26:27 AM »
There has been much pre-Christmas activity at Cant Cove. However, Cant Cove's official photographer is waiting to get his films developed and printed of the trains. These include a variety of special, goods, parcels, and passenger trains, local, regional and long-distance. [I'm still very busy until just before Christmas.]

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5492 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
As Martin guessed, back in October, a 38xx was indeed planned and the identity decided (3862 which was at Laira from 12/53-6/62) and a suitable Dapol model, Class 2884 2-8-0 2S-009-007 3822 in BR Black Late Crest livery, has been ordered but it won't be here for a while it, first, it had to go to Douglas, at Wickness, for testing and DCC fitting, then it will go for renumbering, next month). However, the ex-GWR 2-8-0s were still fairly common in 1962; Plymouth Laira still having 2899, 3849, and 3862, that year, but lost them all by the autumn of 1962; 3849 (5/62-7/62) being the very last. No. 3862 will be preserved by the GWS (Bodmin) after withdrawal and should prove a very popular addition.

(No. 2887, 83B (Taunton) was used, along with 34002 "Salisbury", 83D (Exmouth Junction), on the 3rd May 1964 R.C.T.S. / Plymouth Railway Circle, "The Cornubian", Exeter St Davids - Plymouth and return.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:26:52 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5493 on: December 12, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »
Only 9 more days and I should have some free time! I'll be off for a few days, over Christmas, as usual. I should have most of January free, though, for plenty of catch-up photos. and stories. I'm hoping to get some new locos. from Gideon before or after Christmas.

The CLPG are eagerly awaiting a very special loco. which has been undergoing a very prolonged Heavy General Overhaul at Eastleigh Works and has been promised to arrive before Christmas so has been booked for both regular and special SR services.

Two special BR Standard locos. have also been promised, one working a special express goods train from Salisbury and the other a special express passenger train from Waterloo.

Meanwhile, the GWS (Bodmin) are expecting a small convoy to arrive from Swindon Works before Christmas and the locos. have also been booked for both regular and special WR services. However, there are already plenty of ex-GWR steam locos. available as Swindon Works has more spare capacity for steam locomotive work than Eastleigh which is still busy overhauling locos. for BR SR.

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #5494 on: December 12, 2018, 07:27:13 PM »
Enjoy your Christmas break Chris.
We're off to Paris tomorrow, hoping to dodge the terrorists and demonstrators  :D
We're back on the 18th, with grandson expecting to see "Choo choos grandad" on the 21st so I will have to get my finger out!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5495 on: December 12, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »
Sounds like exciting times for rail enthusiasts in North Cornwall.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5496 on: December 14, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
Thanks, Mike and Martin. I'm hoping the parcels will arrive, very soon.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #5497 on: December 16, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »

I will be very interested in, for example, the opinion of Douglas (Wickness Models) when he gets some for DCC-fitting. (I should explain that I don't, usually, buy DCC-fitted models as Douglas will check them before and after fitting so I don't have the bother of buying a faulty model and having to return it.)

I am coming around to your way of thinking, returned the DCC fitted Stowe Grange I bought direct from Dapol last month, they replaced it no bother... the second one was better, but while it was tootling around my test track to run it in.... it all went quiet and when I checked, the loco had stopped ... closer inspection revealed that the tender-loco connecting rod had been discharged from the loco altogether, was lying on its own beside the track, when I picked up the loco, it transpired that the screw on the tender end of the drawbar was completely gone, so the only thing that was holding the loco and tender together was the two tiny fragile pick up wires... one of which had detached and through the action of me picking it up off the track, the other gave way too ..... I am beyond baffled!

As if that were not bizarre enough.... as I was gathering my strength to go back to Andrea at Dapol and try and explain this saga .... another replacement one arrived in the post!

that is where it currently lies, I only have gone as far as removing the latest one from its carton to confirm the fixing arrangement of the drawbar

Great updates by the way, the prairie looks fab with those crimson & cream coaches

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5498 on: December 16, 2018, 11:06:57 AM »
Many thanks, Andrew. The loco. tender connecting rod seems to be a well-known fault of the Dapol locos. My second-hand "Britannia", bought cheap from Hattons because of just such a problem, was another example. Very fortunately, Tony, who is a model engineer in both senses (not the third -- miniature -- meaning, though, 8-) ) repaired it with bought spare parts and great skill. Interestingly, as John commented, recently, the published specification for the new Bulleid Light Pacifics looks far superior.

Next month, I'll be sorting out all my BR Crimson & Cream Gresley and Stanier design coaches plus BR Maroon Collett, (an eBay seller was selling brand new, probably, ex-shop stock, coaches, recently, and, to save on postage, I prefer to buy multiple lots) as I have too many of some types.

Looking at photos. of early 1960s 'through' trains from the North over the S&D, BR Maroon Gresley, Stanier, Thompson, and BR Standard coaches could all be seen in the same train. For example, a "Pines Express", August 1962, had behind the two locos., an ex-works BR Maroon Stanier brake end with light grey roof and BR roundel, a BR Standard in BR WR Chocolate & Cream with medium grey roof and BR roundel, a BR Maroon Gresley with dark grey roof, two BR Maroon BR Standards with medium grey roof . . .  So, our 'through' trains from the NE and NW on Summer weekends can have a very varied rake. It would even be possible to justify a BR SR Green coach added at the front of such a rake as a 'strengthener'.

I hope that it will be possible to travel through time in Perthshire as far back as the late 1950s. A 'through' coach from Glasgow is added to a Crewe portion of one LMR overnight train to Cornwall, starting from Manchester (London Road) which also has a Liverpool portion. So, with one change, at Glasgow, it would have been possible to travel all the way through to Cornwall in the 1950s and 1960s, from Perthshire. No doubt, if there was a sufficient party booking, a 'through' coach (a FK or FO? Gresley, Stanier, or BR Standard?) all the way would have even been quite possible. 8-)

Another prototypical alternative would be rakes of BR Maroon ER and / or LMR stock alternating with a rake of BR SR Green stock.

The main portion of these Summer weekend holidaymakers' special trains, with an ER Gresley Buffet car, ends / starts at Penmayne, with a single or two coach portion for Trepol Bay to / from Wadebridge, to which can be added / detached, at Wadebridge, a single or two coach BR SR local set running to / from Trepol Bay, or BR WR two-coach local set going on from Trepol Bay to Port Perran, Newquay, or Truro. At peak times, any mix of coaches, from any region, in any livery, and of any type, including non-corridor, can be pressed into use on local Cornish services!

Later, twin BR single unit diesel railcars or a single unit with an autocoach (or, perhaps, a BR Standard suburban coach, as used with an ex-GWR diesel railcar at Worcester) were also seen in the Southwest, if not Cornwall (twin BR single unit diesel railcars were used on the Newquay branches).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:50:32 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5499 on: December 18, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
There seems to have been a sudden surge in popularity of the Dapol 4575 the Slope Tanks. New N Gauge ND048F 45XX Slope Tank BR Black Early Crest No. 5572 went for 122 plus 4 P&P! 75 was the average.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:29:42 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #5500 on: December 19, 2018, 01:39:39 PM »
Very appropriately, I can enjoy Cornish Steam Lager beer brewed in the Czech Republic!

Hope you managed to drink this before the best by date :)   :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5501 on: December 19, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
Thanks, Andrew. I drank the last bottle, last month, so well before the best before date. I'll order some more, with others, in January, from Tesco home delivery.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5502 on: December 20, 2018, 09:13:47 PM »
Suddenly, the Dapol Prairie tanks are in great demand on eBay. DAPOL MODEL RAILWAYS ND-020 45xx N GAUGE 1:148 GREAT WESTERN SHIRTBUTTON 4567 has just been sold for 117.00 [ 22 bids ] plus Postage: 3.00 Economy Delivery. Normally, the straight tanks are 75-86. I'm glad that I bought mine when I did.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5503 on: December 20, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
With less than 5 days to Christmas Day (1962) there is much anticipation at Cant Cove as, finally, a special working from Eastleigh Works of a fully overhauled much loved local steam locomotive has been confirmed as arriving. Doctor Who is one of the many very pleased at this news.

Not to be outdone, a somewhat longer convoy of fully overhauled local steam locomotives from Swindon Works has also been confirmed as arriving. One of the WR locos. is not only a local favourite but also of Sylvia Trevelver and Sylvia's beloved old Cornish widowed nanny, 'Nursie', from Fowey. Another also has been especially arranged by Lord Trevelver to evoke memories of the early days of Nationalisation, whilst two have been restored to GWR livery.

The arrival of all these steam locos., just in time, has been a great relief to all in North and West Cornwall, as special trains from all regions of BR, travelling by both the SR and WR mainlines, are expected in the next few days in the run-up to Christmas.

In keeping with tradition, from Friday 21st December to Monday 24th, inclusive, a special express passenger train, with volunteer crew, will leave London Waterloo at 4PM, arriving at Wadebridge at 11.31PM, where a portion for Trepol Bay will be quickly detached, before proceeding to Cant Cove (11.38-40) then terminating at Penmayne at 11.44. The loco. will be safely on shed, there, by 5 past Midnight. Volunteer signalmen keep the 'boxes open and volunteer station staff the stations until the 'Christmas Atlantic Coast Express' has safely left. Sponsored by local businesses, taxis provided with suitably seasonal refreshment, then take the railway staff home.

The train's seasonally decorated SR buffet car is also staffed by local volunteers managed, on alternate days, by the sous chef from the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, and "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove. A portion of the profits go to that year's chosen charity.

Having finished their last-minute Christmas shopping on Saturday 22nd, and attended as many pre-Christmas parties as they could fit in, that fortnight, the tired but happy "Chelsea Girls" and their friends look forward to settling into their reserved First Class seats in the decorated FO next to the Buffet Car, for the fully booked Sunday 23rd departure. A special loco. is always booked for the 4PM, but the Wadebridge Yardmaster has arranged for Nine Elms to roster a favourite one for the 23rd.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:51:47 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5504 on: December 21, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
Among the many unusual workings in the week before Christmas is the rare use of Swindon-built 'Warships' on WR local stopping trains between Par and Newquay and Newquay to Port Perran, Chacewater and Truro formed of three and four non-corridor coaches instead of North British Type 2s with two-coach B Sets or twin BR single diesel railcars. Some trains have also been extended from Newquay to Wadebridge via Trepol Bay. Shoppers' specials formed of WR Collett design coaches, kept for peak services, are also being jointly run by BR SR and WR to and from Truro, to and from Wadebridge, some to and from Penmayne.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything