!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 434002 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5325 on: October 11, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
I remember chocolate and cream expresses as late as 1960.  My exerience is limeted to trains through Snow Hill.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5326 on: October 11, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
I remember chocolate and cream expresses as late as 1960.  My experience is limited to trains through Snow Hill.

They would have remained in Chocolate & Cream, apart from the odd BR Lined Maroon Gresley (or even Stanier) SK used as a 'strengthener' (of which there are many pictures), until 1962.

November, 1962, being after the events of October and before the busy month of December, would be ideal for a visit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:41:48 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5327 on: October 12, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »
A new instalment, but also part of the epilogue.

On 28th October, to the world’s very great relief, First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Nikita Khrushchev, issued a public statement that the Soviet missiles would be dismantled and removed from Cuba. The crisis was over but the United States naval quarantine continued until the Soviets also agreed to remove their IL-28 bombers from Cuba until, on 20th November, 1962, the U.S. ended its quarantine. Planning for Christmas and New Year could now go ahead with the confidence that the world was no longer about to end. As usual, in Cornwall, a full program of special events and trains was being organised for the Christmas holidays. In London, the “Chelsea Girls” and their friends went about their busy working lives whilst always finding time to attend the best parties, shop for the latest fashions, and search for the most attractive presents for their loved ones.

The full majesty of the Law was slowly but fairly deployed leaving the lawyers for both Fiddler and Alan Poldory unable to provide their respective clients with much hope of seasonal cheer to come. Fortunately, for Alan, no word of his illegal activities at the “Tramway Inn” had reached the police to add to the charges laid. Detectives Rule and Snapper, anticipating convictions, both confidently expected written commendations and the enhanced prospect of future promotion after the final verdicts were announced in court.

At the "Clifftop Hotel", just west of Trevaunance Cove, a very happy, newly married couple had settled in to work long hours at whatever tasks the hotel’s owner-manager gave them following Susan Tregowan’s notice and return to Truro. Whether working as barmaid or chambermaid, or as cellarman and odd-job man, Audrey and Andy were always cheerful and got on very well with everyone they met, including the off-season part-time cook, newly trained by no less a celebrity than Michel Pronin, the head chef of the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay. The suspiciously large amount of money found in the pockets of Alan Poldory’s poacher’s coat having remained unclaimed, along with the incriminating coat itself, had, by unanimous agreement, been donated to the local police widows' and orphans' fund and enabled Susan Tregowan to set herself up in comfortable but modest lodgings whilst she looked for suitable paid employment in the cathedral city, a task which soon proved to be very successful. Quietly she, too, set about preparing for the coming Christmas and New Year with her friends and relatives.

The landlord of the “Tramway Inn”, rather than face the wrath of the punters, had decided to close the inn until he could complete its sale to a new landlord, a local man returning after running a very profitable London pub for many years with his German wife who he had met whilst serving as a member of T-Force. The new landlord decided to invest in the pub to provide a much better range of food and drink, including an outdoor grill and a drinking area formed of an ex-SR ‘Tarpaulin’ wagon body mounted on a stone base. He also took over the beehives from the previous owner and studied how to make mead as well harvesting and selling honey. With the inn’s sudden closure, Audrey, the barmaid, also departed with her final wages and work papers. The renovated inn was announced as re-opening ready for Christmas, 1962 whilst its previous owner looked forward to celebrating on an Australian beach.

With everyone gone, Lord and Lady Trevelver were debating whether to close up the Castle for a fortnight and give everyone a holiday to recover from the recent events whilst they travelled to the South of France to relax in the sun. However, on Monday, 5th November, a very elegant invitation, printed in gold script on heavy cream paper, arrived in the morning post from Baron (Toby) and Lady (Anabelle) Tiverton inviting them to the grand opening of the “Interrogative Seven Restaurant” at Beresford Hall, near Marton Hinmarche.

“It’ll be good to see how Wally Percival and Alun Peacock are settling in,” stated Lady Penelope, sipping her breakfast tea.

“Quite, quite, my dear,” responded her husband in between bites of buttered toast and marmalade. “Not the South of France but a change of scene, no less. Capital! Would you care to accompany us, with your lady wife, Jenkins?”

“We would be delighted to, my Lord,” replied the Head Butler, “the necessary arrangements with the Western Region are already in hand for the special train. The Tivertons' Head Butler did me the courtesy of calling to let me know of the coming invitations.”

“Excellent, Jenkins,” replied Lady Penelope, “you are the epitome of efficiency, as always.”

“We do our best,” he replied, clearing the dirty breakfast plates.

The “Chelsea Girls”, Sylvia, Eli, Belinda, Suzi, Monique, Jenny, Amanda and Angela, plus Susan, were delighted to receive a similar invitation, whilst enjoying a quick breakfast at the cosy rented Georgian Chelsea townhouse they all shared. The “Girls” were also keen to see how Wally Percival with his best friend, Alun Peacock were doing whilst enjoying the crisp autumnal country air.

“It’ll be a very nice break before we get swept into the Christmas season,” stated Sylvia and her friends all agreed, as they cleared the table.

“I don’t know about Grandfather,” added Susan, whose turn it was to do the washing up, “he’s very busy doing . . . I know not what exactly. Parts for the Tardis, what should be done with the “Golden Horde”, meetings in Whitehall with Admiral Tregowan, research in the British Library . . . I only get told when I ask, and for that I have to meet him for a mineral water at the “World’s End” pub in the King's Road, where he has taken a bed sitting room. But Grandfather says we’ll be here to at least the New Year.”

“Excellent!” exclaimed Eli, “but I think he could have chosen somewhere local with a more ‘appy name!” Her friends laughed as they put on their coats, scarves and boots ready to set off for their workplaces.

“I’ll send a telegram to Sofi to see if she and her friends have received their invitation,” announced Angela, locking the front door behind them, who, day by day, was slowly returning to more like her old self.

Later, that very day, the “Chelsea Girls” received an excited reply from Sofi confirming that she and her friends had also received their invitations and a special, off-season Pullman "Star of the West" train was being booked by Marielle, the SW England CIWL representative, to bring them to Cant Cove where they would join their friends for the long train journey to Marton Hinmarche. Enka Lou-Lou confirmed, also by telegram, that she would be taking a break from her sold-out U.K. tour to join them at Bristol.

Giles Roskrow, who often met the girls for a leisurely lunch near his thriving wine and spirit merchant business, also stated that he had been invited and had immediately accepted as had his good friend, Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador, who had been informed by his commanding officer that Admiral Tregowan had asked him, as a personal favour, to grant the young naval officer leave whenever reasonable in view of his very considerable recent but top secret achievements. Giles was hoping to finalise negotiations for the supply of some of his finest bottled drinks to the unusually named restaurant and had arranged several sealed crates to be sent on ahead as well as others to be dispatched to Wadebridge for loading on the RMB for Marton Hinmarche.

Marielle Kerbriant had soon drawn up the passenger list for the special run of the "Star of the West", which besides herself (she was delighted to see), consisted of: Jose Maria de La Vega and Sofia de La Vega from Izaro; Xurde Valdez, Pedru Valdez, and Catala Valdez, from the Principat de Guin; and their friend, Fermin Muguruza. To fill the rest of the train, specially priced 1st Class return tickets were also sold with a connection at West Porthsea Quay for an express to London Paddington and rooms in a luxury hotel near Oxford Street handy for pre-Christmas shopping, all included, thanks to the contacts of the “Chelsea Girls”. These bargain tickets quickly sold out, gaining Marielle a commendation from the CIWL management for her imitative.

Lord and Lady Poldain of Port Perran Manor and Sir David and Lady Rosemary Antrobus, Chairman of the Headland Brewery were, they informed their close friends at Trevelver Castle, also invited and would be joining the Truro portion of the train. To the Trevelver’s secret delight, unaccountably, the Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall: Sir Alan Walton-Parfitt and his wife Celia, had not received an invitation nor to their far less secret delight, had Sir Mortimer Wheeler, still in London. From Somerset more friends, Sir Horace Speakman Court and his wife Lady Alice, of Withy House; together with the owner of Sam’s Cider, Hugh Pocock and his wife Hillary; as well as the owner of Creech Ales, Peter Creech (5th generation) and his wife Penny, and the Director of Mid-Somerset Trading, Stephen Millards and his wife Wendy, also confirmed their attendance and the booking of seats on connecting services to Westbury where they would join the special train from Penmayne via Wadebridge and Bodmin Road to Marton Hinmarche.

With so many important business contacts on board, the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams, was more than delighted to be informed that Marrek Prowse, the General Manager of the "Castle Estates", had managed to get him an invitation, too. Forewarned by Lady Penelope, word had already spread throughout the West Country to lay in extra supplies for not only Christmas and New Year but the whole of January and Brandon was expecting a record sales bonus from all the businesses he now represented, (with Marrek’s permission). Unfortunately, Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart, although invited, was unable to obtain leave. However, there were two invited Perthshire guests, timber merchant, Bryan Ranch and Walter Nuttall (locally known as "Walnut" on account of his name), who were able to attend and were also eager to continue business talks. Through a series of changes, including at Crewe, the two Scotsmen would be able to join the special train at Bristol where they would be sharing a 1st Class compartment with no less a personage than Enka Lou-Lou, plus her precious guitars.

Inspired by Marielle’s example, Sylvia and Eli also marketed the special train as a pre-Christmas shopping special to London from Penmayne and Truro (via Port Perran), the portions being combined at Wadebridge for the limited stop run from Bodmin Road to Paddington with the portion for Marton Hinmarche being detached at Reading then taken on via Oxford to its destination, by another loco. To further sell tickets, Sylvia let it known that her father was negotiating with the Plymouth Laira shedmaster for a rather special loco. to be provided to take the train to Paddington and another back from Paddington. The Wadebridge Yardmaster had also promised that the officially ‘broken up’ but, actually, still intact local BR WR Chocolate & Cream rake of BR Standard coaches, including one of the specially painted local 18xx RMBs, would be provided. Lord Trevelver had already ensured that no word of this rebellious rake would reach Stanley Raymond’s ears (or a photo. his eyes) and was still chuckling over the Laira shedmaster’s promise to do his best to “turn the clock back!”.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:30:17 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5328 on: October 12, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
Blimey Chris!

Writing up that lot might take me a week or two. :'(
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5329 on: October 12, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »
Blimey Chris!

Writing up that lot might take me a week or two. :'(

That's just the most important people who were in Trevelver Castle's Great Hall for the chefs' contest, Laurence. The info. was supplied by those responsible. 8-)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5330 on: October 12, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
The Wadebridge Yardmaster was most apologetic when calling Trevelver Castle after he had received the telegraphed details concerning the arrangements on the Aylesbury and Worcester railway. It seemed that there had been insufficient time to cram an extra train into the busy operational timetable of the Aylesbury and Worcester Railway and so it had been decided that the party from Cornwall would leave the previous day via a special coach to be added to various trains to reach its destination whilst the Continental guests, including the party from Izaro would arrive the following day by another “through” coach.

Angela, hearing this news, and almost back to her no-nonsense self, quickly talked to Sylvia and Eli, and a second special train was soon booked to take the coach conveying 'Continental Party' on its way, the following day, attached to a second sell-out Christmas Shoppers' Special to Paddington. Just like the first coach, also a BR WR BCK, this coach was detached at Reading by the station pilot, a "Manor' that the GWS (Bodmin) had reserved, (7816 "Frilsham Manor" still with its GWR tender), and added to an Oxford train where, on arrival, the station pilot, this time a 350bhp diesel-electric shunter, swiftly added it to the next Aylesbury and Worcester railway passenger service. Despite the Yardmaster's less than charitable comments, both coaches were smoothly transferred and the generous picnic hampers loaded at Cant Cove made the journey more than pleasant for their passengers and Marielle Kerbriant proved a most reliable and reassuring guide.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:25:32 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5331 on: October 13, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
Lord Trevelver and the faithful, and highly resourceful, Head Butler, Jenkins, were alone in their 1st class compartment of the "through" coach to Marton Hinmarche. From the adjoining compartment came the laughter from one group of the "Chelsea Girls" and their male friends who had made room for Lady Trevelver so that they could share G&Ts and the latest London gossip. From the further compartment came more laughter as Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador shared another amusing story worthy of the BBC Light Programme radio series "The Navy Lark" [a radio sitcom about life aboard a British Royal Navy frigate named HMS Troutbridge, based in HMNB Portsmouth].

"Now that we're alone, seeing as we both signed the Official Secrets Act whilst we served, together, in T-Force, and are still governed by it, I can reveal what our good friend the Wadebridge Yardmaster was not privy to," began Lord Trevelver.

"Indeed, my Lord. Please, do tell."

"I'll be quick; you never know who might want to pop their head into the compartment. In short, there are no pathing problems on the Aylesbury and Worcester railway . . . "

"So, no call for describing it as once part of the "Old Worse & Worse" always . . . And they should have to deal with a single line railway on a Summer Saturday . . . "

"Quite, quite, Hughes. But the Wadebridge Yardmaster's jaundiced opinion is quite understandable in the circumstances."

"Of course, my Lord. Fortunately, Miss Angela and her friends were quickly able to adapt the train travel plans with no subsequent financial loss."

"Indeed. Most resourceful young ladies and, as always BR WR were MOST helpful."

The Head Butler coughed politely and nodded at the compartment door.

"Quite. Well, the real reason is that a most exalted personage has been invited the grand opening of the “Interrogative Seven Restaurant” at Beresford Hall, near Marton Hinmarche, but wants to avoid any crowds or press. The proposed working of the original mooted special train with its specially chosen loco. would, of course, have had quite the opposite effect, attracting a great deal of public and press interest including photographers. Something quite unwanted by the personage in question and, hence, quite properly, neither by our hosts, Baron Toby and Lady Anabelle Tiverton. So, instead, we are all to be conveyed in a series of special coaches attached to various trains, both special and scheduled, to convey us, in such small numbers as not to attract any unwanted attention, to the station at Marton Hinmarche."

"I see, my Lord." The Head Butler paused to listen. No sound of approaching footsteps in the corridor. "I also have something of interest which can only be revealed between us, if I may?"

"Yes, Jenkins. By all means. It seems Lady Penelope is more than happy next door." More gales of light feminine laughter from the adjacent compartment. They both distinctly heard the names of the Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall, Sir Alan Walton-Parfitt and his wife Celia, mentioned.

"Well, has it ever puzzled you, my Lord, why the "Castle Branch" is classified, locally, "Red" in the GWR system of route availability, hence our 94xx branch loco., and, yet, it as well as the line from Bodmin Road to Wadebridge is, officially, classified "Blue" in the GWR system of route availability and that from Bodmin Road to Boscarne Junction and Wadebridge was only upgraded to "Blue" during World War Two as part of the plan to use the SR mainline to Exeter via Halwill if the GWR line via Plymouth was blocked by enemy action?"

"I confess that it had not, Jenkins, but a 94xx certainly copes very well with the stiff gradients of the line and the goods trains are getting heavier and longer thanks to the increasing use of the revolutionary Extra-LWB goods stock designed by our very own George Enderby."

"Well, my Lord, I was recently sorting through the papers of your late father, God rest his soul."

"Yes, yes. Sadly missed, still, by all who had the great pleasure of knowing him. To the Late Lord Trevelver!"

The two men solemnly raised their glasses of "Tullibardine" single-malt whisky.

"Well, I discovered some papers marked 'Top Secret' which reveal that the whole line from Bodmin Road to the caverns under Trevelver Castle had been authorised, at War Department expense, for upgrading to "Red" and not "Blue" with the work to be undertaken by the Royal Engineers working under conditions of the utmost secrecy. However, from those papers, it appears that they completed only the full length of the "Castle Branch" before the work was cancelled for reasons which we can only guess at."

"Fascinating, Jenkins. So the branch 94xx must have had special dispensation to traverse what was still, officially, a "Blue" route to Cant Cove (and on to Penmayne), then?"

"That I know for a fact from the Wadebridge Yardmaster. However, I found, in the same safe, a faded encoded War Department message to the local commander of the Royal Engineers' detachment with its rusty stapled plain text attached which seems to state that the work was, in fact, completed between Bodmin Road and Cant Cave (a revealing misnaming?) but that this was not to be recorded in any official GWR papers!"

"Most intriguing, Jenkins. What a pity we cannot share this with BR Plymouth Divisional HQ!"

"Indeed, most certainly not, my Lord, and any attempt by anyone to mention this most intriguing development would swiftly result in a government D Notice and a visit from the gentlemen of the Special Branch."

"Quite, quite. Let's mull this over and see what advantage we can take of this most interesting information, Jenkins."

"Yes. The Wadebridge Yardmaster has already been prompted over a few pints of "Castle Ale", at his local in Wadebridge, to request some locomotive gauging trials as a 'training exercise' without, of course, being aware of what we have just discussed!"

"Ha! As resourceful as ever! "I had wondered why the Plymouth Laira shedmaster had not dismissed my recent request out of hand!"

"Indeed, my Lord."

At this moment, Lady Penelope, her cheeks lightly flushed, could be seen approaching the compartment door.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:26:22 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5332 on: October 14, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
   “My dear, you’ll never guess what I’ve been told . . . in the strictest confidence of course, by our dear daughter.” Lady Penelope looked pointedly at the Head Butler.

“Well, I think I should be checking on my wife,” quickly responded Jenkins. “It’s been a while since she went to the buffet car to get a trolley with tea and biscuits. Knowing her, she’s giving the Chief Steward precise instructions on how to make a pot of tea to her exacting requirements! Fortunately, he is a very patient man and I have taken the precaution of leaving a most generous tip ‘behind the bar’!”

They all laughed before Jenkins continued, “I’ve already discussed the arrangements with Bill Wilson, Baron Toby and Lady Anabelle Tiverton’s excellent butler. Wilson is an old friend of mine as we studied butlering together after being demobbed. We can’t have two Housekeepers getting in each other’s way, so my wife will be getting off at Oxford, where she will be met by an old schoolfriend, who she will be staying with, until it is time for her to join us on the return journey. Her friend has organised a brass rubbing tour of the local churches. Wilson and I have already, most amicably, agreed how I can help him at the very important coming festivities.” Jenkins checked his fob watch. “I see we’re making, as expected, very good time behind our special loco. Now, I must be off.”

As soon as the compartment door was closed, Lady Penelope whispered her startling news into her husband’s ear.

In the next compartment, Sylvia turning to Jeremy, seated close to her, and, smiling, said: “You know all this hasty re-organisation of travel arrangements has really turned out to be a great blessing in disguise.”

“How so, my dear?”

“Well, it’s keeping Angela really busy. She’s more and more like her old self, again, making lists, checking timetables and firing off a flurry of telegrams.”

“Yes, of course, I see. You’re quite right, Sylvie. Where is Angela, now? I see she’s taken her bulging briefcase with all the documentation sent by the Wadebridge Yardmaster, she told me, earlier.”

“Angela’s sitting with the guard, in his compartment, going over the details of the next two special trains and the associated workings of the special “through” coaches to Marton Hinmarche. The party from Port Perran and Trepol Bay will be travelling in a coach added to the second, sold-out shoppers’ special from Wadebridge to Truro and then down the WR mainline to Paddington. This second, Cornish coach, will be detached at Reading then added to an Oxford-bound service before, finally, being added to a train going to Marton Hinmarche. Whilst the third coach, with the Somerset guests, will be commencing back at Durscombe then travelling via Withy Junction and Templecombe and the SR mainline to Basingstoke where it will be detached and added to a local service to Reading then, similarly, being added to an Oxford-bound service before, finally, also being added to a train going to Marton Hinmarche. Meanwhile, the rest of the train, a third shoppers’ special, will steam on to Waterloo and is also sold out, I may add!”

“Most impressive, my dear. And will all of these trains at least break even? I know your mother takes a very dim view of losing money!”

“John Prynne, the Chief Accountant, of the "Castle Estates", and formerly a rising star in accountants Coopers & Lybrand, in London, has double-checked all of Angela’s calculations and is quite sure that, at the end of the day, there will be a tidy net profit which will be divided between Dr. Barnado’s, our favourite charity, and the CLPG.”

“Excellent. We must congratulate her, Sylvie. Now, Jenkins has informed me of the changed arrangements at Beresford Hall and it seems we have some time on our hands before we actually need to be in Marton Hinmarche, So, Giles and I thought why not get off at Bristol and spend a night there, before catching later trains to Marton Hinmarche. Unfortunately, for Giles, Marielle is on a different train with the Continental party for which she has made all the necessary arrangements. But, fortunately,” Jeremy paused and grinned, “for Eli . . .

“Yes, indeed, my dear! Men can be SO blind sometimes . . . Sounds like a plan. But, what shall we four do in Bristol whilst the rest of our party travels on to Beresford Hall?”

“Giles has very good local contacts through the wine and spirits trade and has made bookings in a very nice, centrally located hotel, the appropriately named “Grand”, Churchill stayed here and the Rolling Stones were once refused entry to the bar for not wearing jackets – four single rooms, of course,” Jeremy quickly added to loud laughter from Monique who, like the other girls in the compartment had, not very successfully, been pretending not to listen.

Sylvia’s partner continued, unabashed, “and tickets for the best seats for, very appropriately, a production of “All’s Well That Ends Well” at the Bristol Old Vic, preceded by an early light dinner at Bristol’s top restaurant. After the theatre, Giles has secured tickets for the four of us for Enka Lou-Lou’s sold-out concert at an intimate little club. Enka will be joining a later train, at Bristol, as she will be playing the following evening, too. Our Perthshire friends will be joining her, at Bristol, to help her load her guitars into their shared compartment.”

“I’m seriously impressed, dear Jeremy. I do hope that this club will not only be selling the fresh fruit juice favoured by Enka and her devoted ‘Fruitie’ fans!”

They all laughed.

“No, my dear. Giles has arranged some excellent vintage champagne for the four of us!”

“My dears,” exclaimed Monique, “I am seriously jealous!”

“Giles has arranged for a wickerwork basket of the very same French champagne to be loaded into this coach, at Bristol, for you to enjoy as compensation for missing the four of us!”

More laughter ensued.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:33:10 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5333 on: October 14, 2018, 04:41:45 PM »
That took some quick thinking, Chris! :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #5334 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
Now that it one massive update I didn't expect to see, Impressive in the short time you've given yourself  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5335 on: October 14, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »
Thank you, Laurence and Drakken. It is a VERY welcome break from a heavy academic workload. Before I go to sleep and, on weekends, when I awake, I mull over what to write to maintain continuity and to allow all concerned to post pictures, in due course, of connecting trains (e.g., Laurence, of course, but also Chris [Weave], and Martin).

Naturally, as it is Laurence's story, I have to fit in but I have had great experience of this with Martin as we have co-written, alternately, long stories, before. This story, actually, very neatly fits inbetween the first (posted) parts of the epilogue and the final part (already written but the final railway details of which are still being researched -- two research literature sources have also been ordered and been posted off to me). It also gave me a wonderful opportunity for long-suffering (not easy for a passionate Breton girl) Eli to get together with Giles without the seemingly effortlessly sophisticated Marielle or Sofi around . . .

I hope to be able to photograph the first, special train from Cornwall, with its very special loco. in a week or two, once the loco. arrives, I hope! The Plymouth Laira shedmaster has, indeed, 'turned the clock back' to 1958 for it! I hope that at least one of the Christmas loco. stars will be here in December, too. At least I now have all the coaches.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:17:28 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5336 on: October 14, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »
   In the compartment on the other side, Giles was still entertaining the rest of the “Chelsea Girls”, including Eli who was leaning forward towards the young wine merchant, her delicate chin resting on one slim, freckled hand, whilst her sparkling marigold blue eyes gazed from under the ruffled fringe of her long, flowing red hair.

Susan, who was having trouble following the conversation without the instant translation facility of the TARDIS, gazed out of the window, looking just like any other bored teenager. Really, Giles was spending far too much time keeping up with the latest expressions of the in-crowd, she mused. It made her miss her classmates at Coal Hill School, although she did not miss 76 Totter's Lane, the damp and dowdy official residence of her Grandfather and her. Would she be able to buy the new single by John Smith and the Common Men, she wondered, at the little provincial town they were all heading for? Berlin in 1932 had been infinitely more exciting . . . She shuddered remembering, again . . . Quickly returning to 1962, buying a little vinyl disc and playing it on her "Dansette" was SO much more satisfying than asking the TARDIS to stream it into her ears, she sighed to herself. At least her female friends could enjoy their G&Ts whilst her alien physiology left her, like her Grandfather, unaffected by alcohol. She realised that, for all his Victorian-era clothes and grumpy and eccentric manner, she was, to her sudden surprise, missing him. Hardly surprising, though, when they had already had so many unforgettable adventures together in time and space. Was he still in London?

As if reading her mind, Belinda turned to her pensive friend to ask, “Will your Grandfather be joining us? When I asked Angela she, quite out of character, almost snapped that she had not the slightest idea!”

At this, Susan smiled. “Well, that’s Grandfather for you! He likes to be the centre of attention as, no doubt, you’ve observed?”

Belinda smiled. “Yes, we all have. So . . .”

"When he heard that, how shall I put it, he would merely one of seven Time Lords, none of whom he has a civil word for, stating that they were more than welcome to stay in their own time continuum and not this, he merely harrumphed and said that, unlike some, he had more pressing matters to attend to!”

“And who are these other six, Susan?” Belinda asked gently.

“According to Angela’s copy of the guest list, which I happened to catch a quick glance of,” the seemingly young woman, grinned, “they go by the names, Drs. How, Where, Why, When, What, and Which. Incidentally, some of Grandfather’s favourite words!” She smiled in recollection.

“I see. Have you ever met them?”

“No, never,” she hesitated, not in this time . . . or any others that I can recall.” Susan shrugged. “Not that that is a definitive answer, of course. Oh, it’s just too difficult to explain.” Then, immediately seeing the hurt expression on her gentle friend’s round face, she quickly added. “I’m sorry, Belinda. I don’t fully understand it all, myself, still, despite years and years of study. Alas, still incomplete when my Grandfather and I had to leave . . .” Tears sprung into the corners of her large dark eyes.

“Oh, Susan, I’m sorry. What a pity you don’t like a drink. Shall I go to the buffet car and get you an orange juice?”

Without thinking, Susan grimaced, thinking how different was the freshly squeezed fruit juices enjoyed by her good friend Enka and the “Fruities” from the processed, bottled substitute available in BR Buffets whether on rails or on station platforms.

“No thanks, but thanks, dear Belinda. Jenkins has promised me that his good friend, Bill Wilson, the Butler at Beresford Hall, will provide as much freshly squeezed fruit juice as a young lady could possibly want!” Susan smiled the broad grin that all found so infectiously heart-warming.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:35:10 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5337 on: October 14, 2018, 11:23:18 PM »
Hi Chris,

Have been trying to do some scenery and tidying up but life gets in the way. Hopefully some belated pics of the Izaro lot on their way to Port Regleun for the Porthsea Quay ferry.

Thank you for the character reminder. I've started to write them all down and although I started a sort of character list at the beginning of the Trémargat St. Croix post, I might start a new 'through train characters and coaches' thread as I can never find bits of paper let alone who said what, when and why (no Doctor Whatever pun intended) as a reference point.

I hope Marielle Kebriant and Sofia de La Vega aren't causing too much trouble for Eli. I''ve only got three girls with Catala Valdez. I don't want them to be horrible people  :no:.

Thanks again for all your pics and posts.

Na Zdravi Chris (weave)  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5338 on: October 14, 2018, 11:31:12 PM »
 :hellosign: Thanks Chris for the ongoing story, always an enjoyable read. Really clever how your`s  & Laurence nicely interweave, keep up the good work
         regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5339 on: October 15, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »
Thank you, Chris (Weave) and Derek. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Izaro party's train on its way to Port Regleun for the Porthsea Quay ferry. With the change of plans, the CIWL train will not run beyond Porthsea Quay. Instead, the 'Continental party' led by Marielle Kerbriant, will transfer to a BR WR express along the West of England mainline to Paddington. Most of the Continental passengers will go on to London to their reserved hotel, near Oxford Street, to enjoy some West End shows and pre-Christmas shopping.

Only the party comprised of Jose Maria de La Vega, mayor of Sant Cristofol, (the capital of Izaro), and his stunningly beautiful daughter, Sofia de La Vega, together with Xurde Valdez, Pedru Valdez, Catala Valdez, and Fermin Muguruza, will go on with Marielle Kerbriant to Marton Hinmarche. This would have involved changing trains at Reading and Oxford with much unloading and loading of the suitcases, particularly those of the ladies! Unfortunately, being only a party of seven, a 'through' coach had been out of the question. However, being a very resourceful young woman, Marielle had found enough other Continental passengers who wanted to spend a couple of nights in Oxford before going on to London to then fill a BCK which would be transferred from train to train instead, much to the men's relief who had really not been looking forward to repeatedly dealing with all the luggage.

Marielle finds Giles, very charming and Giles finds her very attractive. Giles has got used to Eli and thinking of Eli as the fun friend and artistic business partner of his friend Jeremy's love, Sylvia.

Sofia is so amazingly beautiful that, as Lady Penelope said after, first, seeing her, any male with a pulse would be attracted to her! I don't know anything about Catala's character or appearance, so you have free rein, there! 8-) Sofia has admirers among her fellow passengers but has set her sights much, much higher than a mere wine merchant!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything