!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 512005 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
For Mr. and Mrs. Port Perran: Cant Cove's beach cafe after adding the sandy floorboards in the serving area and some concrete paving slaps making steps and a platform for the smaller customers to be able to see over the counter!

You can just about see the clear plastic super-glued as windows behind the serving area.

The dark grey 'granite' steps need 'touching up' with a lighter grey and some super fine Cornish sand (when I can get some) glueing around the bottom edges.

I will glue some more paving slabs in front to double the width and some on either side of the serving entrances, too. (Planned for tomorrow morning.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:02:34 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #511 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Disaster time, my hurried attempt at spraypainting BR Early Grey (Halford's Grey Plastic Undercoat) resulted in FAR too much being spraypainted on the unpainted kit-built covered van which will, probably, have to have its body scrapped. (The unpainted van was bought for a couple of quid on eBay as part of a collection of wagons, so it's not too much of a loss.)

Would be good for a van covered in china clay dust, I suppose!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:35:14 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #512 on: September 08, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
Another cheaply bought secondhand wagon - an old Peco long wheelbase low-sider, that arrived, today, after spraypainting (from a strange metallic silver-grey colour):

I over sprayed the top decking but I can remove the worst of that with my craft knife once it is 100% dry.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:30:25 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: September 08, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »
I have bought a number of cheap, secondhand covered vans to be repainted in Castle Estates and Castle Brewery liveries. This is the first one, it was in LMSR livery and looks almost brand new. After removing the white text, with a sharp craft knife and an old toothbrush with 'Jif' / 'Cif'; as an experiment, I lightly painted over the areas with a thin coat of dark grey. When it was dry, I very lightly rubbed the painted area with very fine sand paper to remove any areas that were too 'high' from the surface. Tomorrow, it will be painted Castle Brewery dark blue.

When the other vans have arrived and, I hope, been successfully treated, I'll have a couple in Castle Brewery livery (maybe one will travel to Port Perran and Trepol Bay for the beer deliveries) and a couple in Castle Estates' livery.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:03:35 PM by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #514 on: September 08, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
Is it just me?
I can't see any of the pictures you loaded today Chris, just a blank box !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #515 on: September 08, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
Is it just me?

Hi Martin, there may have been a problem earlier but I am seeing all the pictures present and correct.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
Is it just me?

This often happens if members change the default album settings, if they are not tampered with then pictures should always display.   ;)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #517 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
Ah. All OK now so maybe it was just a glitch.
I love the detail on the beach café. We often visit the beach café at Maenporth Beach near Falmouth. That café is called Life's a Beach - might be a good name for your version.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #518 on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
Thanks, Caz, Martin. I didn't change any of the album settings.

'Life's A Beach' is a great name but I think it will be simply called 'The Beach Cafe' when I get around to making all the signs and printing them, in colour, on photo quality paper in my new ink jet printer. Glad you like it. It was something I'd been thinking about for many months, originally for the small beach at Penmayne, almost as soon as I bought the Peco LMS 10-foot brake van kit with its unwanted body.

I have a full set of ice cream stall accessories (two old German sets bought on eBay Germany). I will post them when I get time to find and photograph them.

Alas, as semester progresses, I'm getting busier and busier so, very reluctantly, this weekend, I really must tidy up and put everything away.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:04:14 PM by Chris in Prague »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #519 on: September 08, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
I've been VERY impressed with the difference that replacing old plastic wagon wheels with new metal ones makes, so I've bought 2 packs of Graham Farish 379-411 Wagon Wheels Spoked (x10 Axles) to refit all the old wagons I'm going to repaint / have repainted.

Offline Mrs Port Perran

• Living With Railways in the Bedroom
    • Awards
« Reply #520 on: September 09, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »
Your Beach Café already sums up sea, sand and summer Chris.  Looking forward very much to seeing it finished and in situ.  Very creative!  :)
The train arriving at platforms 3, 4 and 5 has come in sideways

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:21 AM »
Many thanks, Mrs PP. I have been thinking out all the scenic details (what I enjoy best) for Cant Cove for many months. There will be a scout camp and a nudist beach (an interesting juxtaposition!) a sunken wooden boat in the centre of the cove, a pair of Weeping Willows (bought) where the stream enters the cove, a caravan or too and a surfers' VW minibus plus a 1940s Ford Woody with surf boards with two surfers, one with his board. One of the surfer's being Lady Penelope's daughter.

Offline Mrs Port Perran

• Living With Railways in the Bedroom
    • Awards
« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
I'm beginning to see that the 'thinking and planning' stage can be important - and enjoyable too.  The sunken boat will be a great feature and I like the idea of a surfing scene.  Will they have the original old-style wooden body boards as used by surfers at the annual Wold Bellyboarding Championships held near us at Chapel Porth?  This year's event took place last weekend.

We own a 1973 VW camper and love buying models of them.  I'm going to have a bay window panel van on my farm, just like the one my Dad used to have  :)
The train arriving at platforms 3, 4 and 5 has come in sideways

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #523 on: September 09, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
Yes, indeed, the thinking and planning stage is very enjoyable and can save making mistakes later. Yes, the surfboards are the old wooden ones. I think my model VW vans are early 1970s rather than 1960s models (which is my modelled period) but, in N Scale, the difference is not so noticeable as it would be in larger scales. I bought enough 'beach items' for both Cant Cove and Penmayne as prices will only go up and some items may no longer be available in future?

Having a bay window panel van on your farm, just like the one your Dad used to have, is a lovely idea. I'd like to have a N Scale model of all the 1960s cars my father owned. I'm also buying some of the old N Gauge models I had 30 years ago! 

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
I've been VERY impressed with the difference that replacing old plastic wagon wheels with new metal ones makes, so I've bought 2 packs of Graham Farish 379-411 Wagon Wheels Spoked (x10 Axles) to refit all the old wagons I'm going to repaint / have repainted.

Agree with you, Chris.

Did that swap with a dozen or so early GF wagons I bought earlier in the year. They really improve the appearance and running.

Hope the new 'term' goes well and you get at least some time between now and Christmas to build a few more of your kits.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything