!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 588842 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
Thanks, John. I aim to post as many pictures as possible to help others.

One stage I have yet to do, as I want to use Tamiya undercoat (I need to buy another can, in Prague) is all the delicate brass etchings. Two useful tips that I will follow (Cif I have):

I've found that it's best to give brass etches a good clean with a toothbrush and some Cif cleaner to get rid of any residual oils that would prevent good paint adhesion. (Trevor, Chinahand)

Then undercoat the windows with white or grey car primer -- obtainable in spray cans from Halfords or car accessory shops. If the windows are on a fret it's best to paint them before cutting them out, and then just touch up any edges once they are attached to the building.
(GerryB)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
Once I have found the right 'granite grey' paint paint for the main colour of all the embossed stone-built structures, carefully painted them with a very good quality brush and slightly thinned Humbrol enamel paint (if I cannot find a suitable aerosol paint) and they are all dry -- we should have warm weather, again, next week (it's now cool and very rainy) -- comes the time to paint the mortar. I've read, elsewhere on the forum, that the trick is to really thin the mortar paint and touch a small brush with it against each line of embossing -- capillary action should make the mortar colour run along the embossing (an extra touch of thinners will move it if it doesn't).

The next stage will be to add the different coloured stones and then dry brush with matt black to bring out the rough stone surface (I hope).

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the painted results of all your endeavours.
I'm about to re-solder 2 wires to a point motor which became detached when taking the layout back upstairs after Lostwithiel show. A job I've been putting off !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »
My word Chris, you are a busy bee, looking forward to seeing it all come together.   :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »
Thanks, Martin. I really enjoy painting and model making so am looking forward to making more progress, next week.

I have a DC controller and some locos which have yet to be sent for DCC conversion so once I have track laid I can run some trains (the 3-way point won't be fitted, at first, as I need to get and install something called a 'frog juicer', first!) However, the track will not be permanently fixed, let alone ballasted, at first. I will put track pins alongside the track to keep it in place. I need to have the track temporarily laid so that I can glue the sections of insulating board around (as well as under it) for the scenery.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
Thanks, Caz. Summer is the one time of the year when I can work for long periods of a time.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

I have a DC controller and some locos which have yet to be sent for DCC conversion so once I have track laid I can run some trains

Nothing like having a few trains running. It will serve as a BIG incentive to make progress.
My point motor is now rewired by the way so fully operational again.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
Glad you got your point motor rewired without any problems, Martin. As my outside crank Class 08 is already DCC fitted I will measure it up to make a gauging wagon to test clearances until I get my DCC controller.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
Safely back in Prague with two boxes of undercoated kit parts. Tomorrow should be a trip to at least one model shop to buy more Humbrol enamel paints (colours) and another aerosol of Tamiya matt grey (also dark grey if possible) to ensure colour consistency on some extra station platform parts that are in the post.

Following Martin (Port Perran's example) a P&D Marsh Cat. No. B66 N Gauge Chocolate / Weighing Machines & luggage was in my post box. These will also be undercoated and will join the production line! Should the weighing machines be gloss dark green and the chocolate machines bright red and navy blue?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »
I went by memory on those. Weighing machines definitely red but I remember (albeit GW) choc machines being orange, hence the colour of mine but colours probably varied.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »
Not sure I'd use gloss paint, Chris.  I think matt or satin paint looks better even on things that are supposed to look glossy.  But it is up to you, of course.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
Thanks, Martin, John. I'll add some matt white to the pain to tone down the gloss. For some reason, I remember station weighing machines being a medium green. Red was Cadbury's Bourneville colour and Blue Cadbury's Dairy Milk but, again, my memory may be wrong.

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
Matt paint into gloss paint will not result in a Matt finish (trust me - I tried).  Paint gloss then use a Matt varnish once dried. 

The white will fade the colour but consider also using light grey.  Do a test first though..

Dark washes can enhance shadows.  Dry brushing can be used to fade areas..

If you are using decals always have a gloss finish to put them onto then Matt afterwards.  This will prevent 'silvering' or the edge of the decal being seen...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »
Thanks for those painting tips. I will buy some matt grey paint and experiment with using it as well as with matt white to 'tone down' colours. All my undercoats are either matt grey (Tamiya spray) or off-white (acrylic car spray).

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »
The baseboard with cover has just arrived and, with cover, just fits under the bed. The total cost is a very reasonable 12,000 Kc. (about 350). However, that is without any wiring (buses for power and lighting) and scenery (layers of insulation boards from a local DIY) for which I will go shopping with my landlord, next week. Fortunately, even after the large transfer to my U.K. bank account to buy the DCC controller (already part-paid as I had a credit note) plus 14 metres of Peco Code 55 track and the remaining three points -- these all from Hattons, my Czech bank account can just about stand these costs. :claphappy: And I still have my DCC-fitted Class 42 on sale and a spare non-DCC-fitted Class 22 to sell.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal