!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 532517 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1170 on: January 21, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
Rumour as it doing in the smugglers den,that the former GWR 2884 BR38xx from Laira will be picking them up with a mixed goods on its way to Truro.
But this is only rumours.
That will bring out the enthusiasts.
28XX and 38XX  2-8-0s were very much rarities this side of the Tamar Bridge.
[And I don't have one!!].
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1171 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
It is indeed difficult to find a 28XX 2-8-0 allocated to the area. Plymouth (Laira) had 2843 back in 1951. (It had 47xx 2-8-0 4706 in 1952.) 28XX 3862 was allocated from 1947 to 1953, 2899 from 1952 to 1959, 2846 from 1954 to 1960, 2875 from 1951 to 1960, and 3849 from 1959 to 1962 (probably the best candidate). Neither St. Blazey or Truro ever had any allocated. So, my guess is that it will be 3849. 8-)

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1172 on: January 21, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
Yes it's a 38xx (Dapol 3836) which as being given the green light to run over the freight loop to go up to Wadebridge and on from there.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1173 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »
A 38XX, in 1962, will certainly attract the trainspotters, Jon, and I look forward to see it running through Weaver Cove after collecting the two SR carriages, plus the vans and wagons from Wadebridge (ex-Cant Cove). (I think like in some children's books where the children never age, every year will be 1962!)

That still leaves the enthusiast grapevine wondering which loco. will turn up at Wadebridge to collect the vans and wagons for Trepol Bay and Port Perran.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:58:39 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1174 on: January 22, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
The rumour mongers in the Cornish Arms at Port Perran are suggesting the Q1 which is currently on loan in the area from Eastleigh.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1175 on: January 22, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
The Q1 would indeed be a suitable choice to arrive at Wadebridge to take the wagons and vans on to Trepol Bay; would it work through to Port Perran? That would be an even more eye-catching working than a 38XX will be. 8-)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1176 on: January 22, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
The Q1 would indeed be a suitable choice to arrive at Wadebridge to take the wagons and vans on to Trepol Bay; would it work through to Port Perran? That would be an even more eye-catching working than a 38XX will be. 8-)
No official notification has been issued by either divisional control or the shed master at Trepol Bay but it is believed that the Q1 will be made ready and work over to Wadebridge on a local freight then await the arrival of the special train of wagons which it will indeed work to Trepol Bay and on to Port Perran.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1177 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:40 PM »
Despite the lack of sunshine all week, here are some pictures taken of the painters of the Cant Cove painters hard at work. (You can see some other well-known characters in the photos., too.)

Preparing two overhauled vans and a wagon ready for transfer to Port Perran and Trepol Bay for painting in PO liveries of some of the companies trading in the Wadebridge area and beyond:

Finishing (L to R) a Castle Estates and Castle Brewery van and another open wagon for transfer to Port Perran and Trepol Bay for painting in PO liveries of some of the companies trading in the Wadebridge area and beyond:

Cant Cove's Class 04 (as it will become) Drewery shunter positions the two open wagons in brown livery for transfer to Port Perran and Trepol Bay for painting in PO liveries of some of the companies trading in the Wadebridge area and beyond:

Finishing (L to R) a Castle Brewery and a Castle Estates van and two ex-LNER "Wadebridge" brake vans (vacuum-braked and unbraked):

Finishing the repaint of the just overhauled horsebox for Lady Penelope's favourite horse (which won't travel in any other) and a pair (6- and 5-plank) of open wagons for the Castle Estates:

Cant Cove's Drewery shunter coupled to two open wagons in Castle Brewery livery ready to remove them after the completion of painting:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:08:56 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1178 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
Excellent photos Chris. The painters have certainly been very busy.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1179 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »
Thanks, Martin. Indeed they have. 8-)

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1180 on: January 23, 2015, 12:17:33 AM »
Hi,

Sorry, couldn't resist but has the painter bending over on the right in photos 1-5 moved in photo 6 because of the guy furthest right?  :D

Nice pics.

Seriously though, can't remember your plans as there's so much on this thread. Know about Wadebridge and the other layouts but when is yours really getting going? Apologies if still not up to speed.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave.

Offline georgehgv

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #1181 on: January 23, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »

Just an observation but do the painters have extra long arms? Or has someone knicked their ladders or steps?  :D

Great detail Chris.
Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from Geominster this is the new project.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

The original layout progress here
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18319.msg184399#msg184399

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1182 on: January 23, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »
I just need to paint the axleboxes on the Peco LWB wagons gloss yellow (I hope this afternoon) for Claverdon, and paint the handrails on the guard's vans gloss white (early next week) and then this batch of wagons is finished. Unfortunately, I cannot find 3 roofs for some of the vans which are spare.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:38:20 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1183 on: January 23, 2015, 08:50:01 AM »
Hi,

Sorry, couldn't resist but has the painter bending over on the right in photos 1-5 moved in photo 6 because of the guy furthest right?  :D

Nice pics.

Seriously though, can't remember your plans as there's so much on this thread. Know about Wadebridge and the other layouts but when is yours really getting going? Apologies if still not up to speed.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave.

Thanks Weave. The painter at the far right, who is bending over, was moved for the last picture, as there are only two wagons in the last shot. However, he was not comfortable showing his behind to the young female photographer (the figure furthest right) who is the photographer's assistant. (The photographer can be seen on the far left of the pictures.)

The layout, Cant Cove, is slowly progressing. I now have the last piece of insulating board for the scenic sections which will be cut to shape and then glued on the baseboard. I have the wiring to go under the baseboard. Once these two tasks are complete, the holes for the droppers can be drilled then the track and points can be laid and the droppers fixed in place. I still have to mark out where everything should go according to the plan. I also still have to buy a Hex Frog Juicer and the NCE Powercab. I have a few buildings already but still need to scratchbuild others.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:07:41 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1184 on: January 23, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »

Just an observation but do the painters have extra long arms? Or has someone knicked their ladders or steps?  :D

Great detail Chris.

Thanks, George. Actually, I do have a set of ladders and planks to assemble (which came with the two sets of Preiser figures along with paint tins, etc.) to make painting platforms but, being a very delicate task, I have put them to one side (in their box) as I needed to complete painting the vans and wagons.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:58:21 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything