!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 541746 times)

Chris in Prague and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1155 on: January 14, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
Thanks, Jon. I apologise for the bad light. I hope it will be better when the vans and wagons are finished. I should have a clear day, tomorrow, but will need one more and am out most of Friday and Monday. But, next week, they will be ready to post with matching loads for 'through' running between our various layouts.

This weekend I plan to complete the Cornish railways map and send the 1962 weekdays Working Timetable out.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1156 on: January 14, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »
And, over the weekend, I'll also be working on N Scale posters and billboard ads. for local companies in North Cornwall.

N SCALE POSTERS
A 4' x 3' poster would only be 8mm x 6mm.

N SCALE BILLBOARD (For 'N' Gauge - 2mm)
16 / 28mm wide x 21mm high approx. 
5/8" / 1" wide x 3/4" high approx.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:39:11 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1157 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:46 PM »
A productive day: painting wagon loads, wagons and vans. Still more to do though. (Photos. to come.)

Awaiting underframes painting matt black, and bufferbeams and buffer shanks gloss red:

Castle Brewery covered vans: 2 (same type: alternate width planking)
Castle Brewery open wagons: 2 (same type: 6-plank)

Castle Estates LWB flat wagon: 1 (for Claverdon, with timber load; second of 3, others are for Cant Cove and Trepol Bay / Port Perran) -- also needs axle boxes painting gloss yellow
Castle Estates covered vans: 5 (4 types; 2 are the rarer central sliding door and are for Cant Cove and Trepol Bay / Port Perran)
Castle Estates: open wagons: 3 (2 types)

Almost finished: Castle Estates open wagon (5-plank), needs underframe painting matt black and whole wagon lightly weathered
Finished: Castle Brewery insulated van, Castle Estates insulated van

Pre-painting begun: two 7-plank wagons (both will be for James & Son Ltd, of Port Perran, granite merchants' open wagons with real Cornish stone load; on arrival at Trepol Bay they will go for painting in terracotta livery).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:32:36 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1158 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
I had fun, this evening revising the ad. for the Cornish Pixie brand's new summer sensation (reproduced GREATLY over size):

Conventional, N-Scale size posters would be too small to see!

The pixie logo is now larger and the red is the same shade.

Eventually, if I succeed in making a sheet of transfers, some of the Castle Estates vans will carry the Cornish Pixie brand, including some with the Moonraider!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:08:00 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1159 on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
Tomorrow evening, I plan to make an ad. and van side for the North Cornwall Pasty Co., of Penmayne.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1160 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:46 PM »
The ads. and vansides have been postponed until tomorrow as I devoted the whole evening to painting matt black wagon and van underframes. Overall the results were very satisfactory. Unfortunately, my very small-bristled paintbrush slipped and I now have some matt black inside the entrance to the Castle Estates' liveried BR Standard Brake Van so, it will need cleaning up and then the blue paint retouched.

Monday it will be red bufferbeam time. I'm still tempted to try painting the buffer shanks gloss black. The LWB wagon now needs the axle boxes painted yellow. However, it's looking on target for the new wagons and vans to leave for Wadebridge, next week, for onward movement to Claverdon, Port Perran, Trepol Bay and Weaver Cove for 'through' running! Pictures will follow. I also need to glue the transparent plastic bases on my painter figures (including Elvis!) so they can be photographed working on the goods stock!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:09:57 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1161 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
I have seen a pair of beautifully weathered ER covered vans with gloss black buffer shanks and have been thinking to paint those on my older wagons the same colour. However, my newer Peco LWB wagons I have painted the buffer shanks silver (not easy). If I assume that my PO wagons and vans are all recently overhauled then they could have been fitted with OLEO buffers and, hence, should have silver buffer shanks. However, all my older BR wagons and vans (especially ex-SR and ex-GWR, etc.) should have gloss black buffer shanks as the sprung buffers lasted into the early 1960s.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1162 on: January 18, 2015, 09:58:29 PM »
Thanks to the increasing goods traffic between Cant Cove, Penmayne, Port Perran, Trepol Bay and Weaver Cove within Cornwall and customers in the WR Birmingham area, via Claverdon, much internal correspondence has been generated to ensure a sufficient supply of wagons and vans for repainting in customers' PO liveries.

The Castle Estates, Cant Cove, has been placing orders for more BR LWB wagons and now a LWB van for fast long-distance goods traffic beyond Cornwall. The Castle Estates has also signed contracts with a number of customers for its vegetable produce including wholesalers at Trepol Bay as well as granite from its quarry which will be finished at Port Perran before onward sale.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1163 on: January 19, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »
I spent the afternoon painting wagon and van (PO and will-be PO) bufferbeams gloss red; they should be dry by Wednesday afternoon when I will next have time. Then some cleaning and removal of excess paint plus 'touching up' the silver buffers and buffer shanks and they should all be ready for transfer to Wadebridge (posting off), this Friday. (Only a couple will be staying at Cant Cove.)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1164 on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
This afternoon, I cleaned off the surplus paint from the repainted PPO vans and wagons as well as the text from the last donor wagons (two 7-planks and a BR Standard Covered Van for Martin to paint) so am still looking on schedule for posting the various vans and wagons off on Friday.

I hope I will have good sunlight tomorrow or Thursday to take some pictures.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1165 on: January 20, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
This afternoon, I cleaned off the surplus paint from the repainted PPO vans and wagons as well as the text from the last donor wagons (two 7-planks and a BR Standard Covered Van for Martin to paint) so am still looking on schedule for posting the various vans and wagons off on Friday.

I hope I will have good sunlight tomorrow or Thursday to take some pictures.
News has reached Port Perran that another train of wagons will be arriving.
Speculation is rife as to motive power or - will the wagons be incorporated into a scheduled goods train?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1166 on: January 21, 2015, 12:26:09 AM »
The 10.10 weekdays goods train from Penmayne (Cant Cove: a. 10.18 d. 10.36) to Wadebridge a. 10.42 has been booked for 'Hymek' haulage as there will be an unusually high number of freshly overhauled vans and wagons conveyed from Cant Cove for forwarding from Wadebridge to Trepol Bay, Weaver Cove, and Port Perran as well as the WR's Birmingham Division via Exeter and Bristol. Two Conflats with twin 'Birds' Eye' insulated containers formally used for transporting fish from Penmayne are also being included as they are also scheduled for despatch to the WR's Birmingham Division.

The Wadebridge yardmaster will be communicating with his colleagues to arrange onward transport.

An ER RMB, E1879, which was stranded at Penmayne with hot axleboxes after arriving on one of the Christmas enthusiast specials, has finally been repaired at Penmayne depot and send, via Wadebridge and Exeter, to Nine Elms on an overnight fast freight for transfer to its home region.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:38:15 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1167 on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:17 AM »
Local enthusiasts are hoping that the Hymek might just be a rarer example from Exeter or beyond rather than one of the regulars in Cornwall.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1168 on: January 21, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »
One of the two of Plymouth Laira's 'Hymeks' sub-shedded at St. Blazey, either D7028 or D7090, has been scheduled for Friday morning's goods train to Wadebridge. However, it is not known, yet, which locos. will be working the goods trains from Wadebridge to Trepol Bay and Port Perran or to Weaver Cove. The Hymek on the Penmayne goods is due to work to Bodmin then Plymouth with the wagons for Birmingham (WR) where they will be added to a Plymouth to London goods train.

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1169 on: January 21, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Rumour as it doing in the smugglers den,that the former GWR 2884 BR38xx from Laira will be picking them up with a mixed goods on its way to Truro.
But this is only rumours.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything