!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 544535 times)

crashit and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #1125 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
Sorry to read that, John. I wish you a speedy recovery. Making wagon loads is a relatively simple but satisfying task that can be done quite quickly and definitely improves the realism of a goods train. Eventually all my wagons will have suitable removable loads. I also have a job lot of the Peco wagon loads (plastic) which need to be painted and weathered for realism. For the wooden crates one, I ran matt black paint inbetween the crates which greatly improves the effect.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1126 on: January 08, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration Chris.
I think I'll start making some loads at some point. That way its cheaper and I can get more variety than those commercially available.
You'll have me looking at all sorts of junk to see if it's useful !
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1127 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Right, Martin, after a lazy morning I had better get to work on those wagon loads and wagons and vans, then, as I'm out, tomorrow!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1128 on: January 08, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
Wagon loads under way, without the clear plastic base, yet.

First, one bought in the job lot that had its width reduced by removing some pieces and adjusting then supergluing the cotton 'ropes'. This will need to be lightly painted (ropes should not be white!):

Second, with some of the pieces from the job lot trimmed to size:

The cardboard 'packing pieces' need attention as do the yellow axleboxes! (I will paint another wagon like this (the grey one in the previous photo.) with a similar load for 'through' running.) Ropes will also be added.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:34:26 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #1129 on: January 08, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
Both wagon loads are looking good, Chris.

I think there could be some demand for that timber in Warwickshire so I might have to arrange for a wagon to be attached to the next through train ;)

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #1130 on: January 08, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
Lovely wagons and loads Chris.  What is wrong with your axle boxes?

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1131 on: January 08, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »

Paddy
Ditto and I too think those axle boxes are fine.

Offline jd

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1132 on: January 08, 2015, 06:48:31 PM »
Great work as always Chris. I like the loads. I cant see what's wrong with the axle boxes?
Jon

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1133 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »

Paddy

Many thanks, Paddy. The yellow paint on the axleboxes (denoting roller-bearings fitted for higher speeds) is not perfectly circular despite my best efforts, in the summer.

I will be making several copies of this wagon in Castle Estates light blue livery: one I have here, and, another is with Martin but will be his. I will make three identical loads of wood from thinner pieces which I had time to cut before I went out. Alas, I'm out most of tomorrow so don't know how much further I will get.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1134 on: January 08, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »
Both wagon loads are looking good, Chris.

I think there could be some demand for that timber in Warwickshire so I might have to arrange for a wagon to be attached to the next through train ;)

So, the grey wagon (repainted to match) will be yours as Martin has a second one he will send me for repainting into Castle Estate livery also. All three will then have identical removable timber loads made from the pieces I trimmed to size, this afternoon.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1135 on: January 09, 2015, 07:44:23 PM »
This is the original Castle Estates long wheelbase wagon that I will be preparing a second version of for John and there will be a third for Martin (which is at Martin) both for 'through' running; all will have the same identical wooden load (removable).

I have removed the text from the next batch of grey wagons and vans and patch-painted with grey. Tonight I will remove the text from the brown vans and wagons prior to patch-painting. I will also be painting the metal beer casks silver and the wagon and van buffers this evening. Next week I will be painting the blue livery, the red buffers and the matt black underframes. The vans and wagons for Jon (Weaver Cove) will also be lightly weathered. Roofs have already been spray painted in grey (one a darker grey colour). I want to buy, locally, some spray grey paint in darker shades to have a variety of van roof colours. I have spraypainted the body of the wooden horsebox and the ex-LNER "Wadebridge" brake van for Jon in reddish brown (faded Bauxite). I have the twin of the wooden fish van (the first now at Trepol Bay) awaiting transfer application to match the first and I will use some of the XP transfers from the same set for the horsebox. (Lady Penelope's favourite horse will not travel in any other horsebox!)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:50:13 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1136 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
That long wheelbase wagon looks really good. Excellent painting, as ever.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1137 on: January 09, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »
Thanks, Martin. I find painting very relaxing and enjoyable.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1138 on: January 09, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
Yesterday, 80 years ago, Elvis Aaron Presley was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. Happy Birthday to the King! Please, don't tell anyone but he was celebrating his birthday, singing along with his acoustic guitar, in the back bar of "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove, yesterday evening. Colonel Parker faked Elvis' s demise so that he could retire to North Cornwall! 8-)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1139 on: January 09, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »
The Castle Estates have purchased two old bogie sulphate wagons, currently held at Port Perran (picture on that thread), for transfer to Cant Cove for cleaning, repainting, and use for transporting rocks from the Estates's Quarry for finishing at Port Perran. (The sulphate loads are, I'm assured removable.) The wagons are for 'through' traffic. These old GF bogie wagons tend to go for high prices but if I (or someone else) can buy any more for a reasonable price, loads of finished rocks from the Castle Estates' quarry can be sent, by rail, from Trepol Bay, beyond Cornwall.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:54:47 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything